• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Cygnus X-1

AniHawk said:
Metroid Prime: 10/10
Metroid Fusion: 10/10
Metroid Prime 3: 10/10
Metroid Prime 2: 9.8/10
Metroid Zero Mission: 9.8/10
Super Metroid: 8.85/10
Metroid Prime Hunters: 8.5/10
Metroid Other M: 8.5/10
Metroid (GBA classics): 8.4/10
Metroid 2: 8.4/10

Time to recognize the superiority of Retro Studios.

Cygnus X-1

_Alkaline_ said:
Superiority of Retro to...?

To Team Ninja. I mean: this is the Starfox assault of the Metroid franchise. After that I really hope that Nintendo will stop outsourcing its most important franchises. And About Sakamoto: he should have pretended a 2D game-only without any 3D parts. It was very likely that the passage between them with the Wiimote-only would have not added anything good to the game.

Or a sequel to the excellent Metroid Fusion, or a sequel to the Prime series. With Other M, they took both and the result is what it is.

Wizpig said:
Sakamoto.

When Miyamoto put the Retro Studios on a new Metroid game instead of Sakamoto he made the right choice.

Sakamoto had significant roles in the development of Super, Zero Mission and Fusion, so...no. Retro did a fantastic job, but the Prime games aren't the pinnacle of the series. They do come close though, particularly Prime and Echoes.

Cygnus X-1

heringer said:

The G4TV review is really harsh, but it makes some good points.

Mafro said:
I can't see this being as bad as a Rare game.

Starfox Assault was developed my Namco.

I'm not sure how this game and Star Fox Assault have anything to do with each other, but okay. Maybe I'm just not remembering Takao Shimizu's heavy involvement in Assaults development.
Besides, Assault was still better than Adventures, but that isn't that high of an achievement. :lol
I still enjoyed Adventures, but lol. Such a terrible ending to a haphazard story.

Mafro

Ah that's the one. I always get those two and Starfox Command mixed up.

I suppose the difference with this is that Nintendo have a lot more involvement.

Mafro said:
Ah that's the one. I always get those two and Starfox Command mixed up.

I suppose the difference with this is that Nintendo have a lot more involvement.
Starfox Command ironically as close to being developed by the original Starfox developers as you're going to get

o god it's the other m of the starfox series

Gravijah

Mafro said:
I can't see this being as bad as a Rare game.

mother fucker rare developed viva pinata

i'll kill you!

ot: never read the names of trophies/achievements. fucking developers, you have "hidden trophy/achievement" trophies/achieves, yet you don't hide the ones that have huge spoilers!

Cygnus X-1

Hiltz said:
Man, its pretty crazy and rare to see a first-party Nintendo franchise receive such mixed reviews.

It is NOT a first party developed game. It's developed by Team Ninja under the supervision of Sakamoto.

farnham

Banned
I wouldnt call it mixed reviews
the vast majority gives it somewhere around 8.5 and there are a few that go up and a few that go down (namely G4 and gameinformers)

Cygnus X-1

RobotNinjaHornets said:
Just out of interest, does this seem accurate to anyone else -

Metroid: You're changing it Nintendo, I don't like it.
Zelda: It's too samey Nintendo, I don't like it.

Change is good. Everyone can make mistakes. Other M was the wrong direction for the franchise. For me it's enough if the next time the same mistake will not be repeated. In the meantime...let's play Metroid Prime Trilogy!

Mafro

_Alkaline_ said:
Didn't Corruption get a 7? Or was it 8 as well? I recall each entry getting 1 point lower than the previous one.
Yeah it got a 7. I remember the review being a bit harsh on it, but that's something to expect from Edge.

robor

I'm really interested to see these claims of "poor level design" and "linear gameplay" are true once I play the game. I'm not hundred percent certain but if Takehiko Hosokawa is indeed credited as course designer for this game, then I have HIGH doubts that the above claims are anything but true.

kiryogi said:
And on the earlier post. No idea. I haven't heard of anyone actually getting stuck for good. But I recall seeing a review saying you can actually get stuck somewhere and can't do anything about it.

Thank you.

Seeing the current state of this thread, with this, I'm out of it.

Cygnus X-1

Gravijah said:
Don't a lot of modern games have shit outsourced anyways?

We're talking about Nintendo here. They hardly give out their most important franchise, if not as spin-off like Mario&Luigi. Sometime things go good, like with Rare or Retro, and sometime things go wrong, like with Namco or, right now, Team Ninja.

But I'll tell you that: after seeing this result, I'm more and more convinced that Nintendo's character never have to speak. I'm happy that Aonuma acknowledged.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Change is good. Everyone can make mistakes. Other M was the wrong direction for the franchise. For me it's enough if the next time the same mistake will not be repeated. In the meantime...let's play Metroid Prime Trilogy!

What's with the negativity?

Some aspects of it appear to be lacking, yes, but on the flip side it's also taking big steps for the series' foray into 3D, some of which are superior to that of Prime (and some of which are inferior).

Cygnus X-1

MattKeil said:
This is absurd. Samus' entire character arc in Other M is horrendously sexist. Massive, MASSIVE story spoilers below, so consider yourself warned:

Seriously.

Samus is a highly skilled bounty hunter, and at the time of Other M has been for many years. At this point she has been through the events of the first game, all three Primes, Hunters, and Metroids 2 and Super. She has saved the galaxy (or at least human civilization) many times over. She is no amateur, she has seen serious shit, she is the best there is at what she does as far as has been shown in the 10 games of the series.

So she runs into Adam on the Bottle Ship and feels totally guilty about how she questioned his orders 15 or so years earlier when he was forced to let his brother die rather than try to save him. She thought she could save him and never forgave Adam for not letting her try. So now on the Bottle Ship she decides not to use any of her abilities until Adam authorizes them one-by-one, in order to show him that she has matured and can abide by his orders no matter what. The entire game depicts her as horribly insecure about her abilities, her perception of given situations, and what Adam and the other GalFed soldiers think of her.

Near the end of the game, Adam has to sacrifice himself while he sends Samus to defeat Ridley. He tells her that only she can defeat him, and it's his job to self-destruct the part of the ship containing new freeze-proof metroids, because anyone could do that. But only Samus is badass enough to handle Ridley and the other crazy stuff on the ship. He confirms that she is capable and strong and should forgive herself for everything, and following this she finally begins to believe in herself again. After Adam's sacrifice, she's all business and ready to kick ass for the rest of the game. This is where the game finally starts to feel like it should, narratively.

Please take note that Samus' character arc can be summarized as follows: Despite her great accomplishments, she does not believe herself to be a valuable and capable person and warrior until a male authority figure tells her that's what she is. If this is not a sexist message, I don't know what is.

WTF. Seriously. What a disappointment. Samus is not that character.

_Alkaline_ said:
What's with the negativity?

Some aspects of it appear to be lacking, yes, but on the flip side it's also taking big steps for the series' foray into 3D, some of which are superior to that of Prime (and some of which are inferior).

The point Alkaline is that Nintendo has some key franchises that have to keep high standards. If Zelda, Mario and Metroid fall, what remain of Nintendo? Only one mistake, and the entire franchise could fall in the void as Starfox did. It's quite a shame, since the three Primes were so amazing.

Cygnus X-1 said:
I dunno, last time they went the wrong direction with the Metroid franchise, we had to suffer two more installments before they fired the assholes they outsourced it to.

gdt

Segata Sanshiro said:
I dunno, last time they went the wrong direction with the Metroid franchise, we had to suffer two more installments before they fired the assholes they outsourced it to.

ha ha ha

ha ha

ha

huh?

Segata Sanshiro said:

Metroid Pinball had 2 more installments?

Cygnus X-1

Segata Sanshiro said:

It's just enough to give the franchise again to Retro. The problem is that if Donkey Kong Country Returns is very good, on par with Rare's DKC, then hardly will Retro switch the franchises again. And the Metroid series will remain without developer for many years...

Cygnus X-1 said:
The point Alkaline is that Nintendo has some key franchises that have to keep high standards. If Zelda, Mario and Metroid fall, what remain of Nintendo? Only one mistake, and the entire franchise could fall in the void as Starfox did. It's quite a shame, since the three Primes were so amazing.

But how is Other M not in line with these standards? In some ways it's above the Prime games, in some ways it's below. I'm not going to claim that the game is superior to Retro's work, but to suggest that it's significantly below is perhaps just as incorrect.

The Metroid series is known for being of the utmost quality, yes, and Other M definitely has some features that aren't quite as polished as previous games. However, to compare it to the thoroughly mediocre Adventures and the consuming-a-giant-turd-would-be-more-enjoyable Assault is pretty silly.

All three Prime games had some down spots too. Prime had a rushed ending. Echoes had the ridiculous fetch quest. Corruption has completely underutilised items. All three slowed the trademark nippy pacing of Metroid to a crawl (with Corruption being the least guilty). Just a few to mention. They're brilliant games, but they're not perfect.

Zelda also had the disappointing Wind Waker and Mario had the mediocre Sunshine. They're doing fine.

Metroid Pinball had 2 more installments?

Weird that you mention Pinball, which was actually a pretty good pinball game, and not the underwhelming Hunters.

farnham

Banned
Its ridiculous to claim that Nintendo would fall if Mario, Zelda and Metroid would fall.

Mario.. maybe.

But Zelda and Metroid are minor franchises compared to Pokemon, BrainTraining, Nintendogs and the Wii series

Synless

Segata Sanshiro said:
See, not everyone liked Metroid Prime.

Also, don't you sass Metroid Prime Pinball. Literally the only good thing to come out of that whole mess.
I liked the first Prime, the other two were meh. That said, I haven't played OM yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to love it mixed reviews or not. Also, get this sexist shit out of this thread!!!!!!

Cygnus X-1

AniHawk said:
Well if future Metroid games are set after Other M, then she won't be expressing those traits.

It would be better to just ignore the existence of Other M. Just like everyone ignores the Zelda made by Philips.

What amazing storytelling has Retro been capable of?

The storytelling of Retro was very poor, but the few of it was very well implemented, like log datas and descriptions of the enemies.

upandaway

Segata Sanshiro said:
See, not everyone liked Metroid Prime.
Taking all the complaints for Metroid Prime that I've seen in mind, I still think Retro could do a damn good job with a 2D Metroid (given they pull off DKCR right) even to you guys.

I actually like the original Metroid (with the LUA script) more than Zero Mission (although Zero Mission is still okay), and while Fusion is okay too I would still appreciate a new 2D Metroid more similar to Super, and I just can't see it coming from Nintendo.

upandaway said:
Taking all the complaints for Metroid Prime that I've seen in mind, I still think Retro could do a damn good job with a 2D Metroid (given they pull off DKCR right) even to you guys.

I actually like the original Metroid (with the LUA script) more than Zero Mission (although Zero Mission is still okay), and while Fusion is okay too I would still appreciate a new 2D Metroid more similar to Super, and I just can't see it coming from Nintendo.
Fusion and Zero Mission suffered because Nintendo seemingly forgot how Samus moves. Still fine games, but the feel of Samus in Super Metroid has yet to be replicated. Metroid Prime oddly was close, but then stuffed her into an insufferably long and boring game.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Fusion and Zero Mission suffered because Nintendo seemingly forgot how Samus moves. Still fine games, but the feel of Samus in Super Metroid has yet to be replicated. Metroid Prime oddly was close, but then stuffed her into an insufferably long and boring game.

What did you think of Corruption, Segata? Seems like you'd be a little more fond of it than the others since it's more streamlined and better paced, as well as making Samus more manoeverable.

Cygnus X-1 said:
It would be better to just ignore the existence of Other M. Just like everyone ignores the Zelda made by Philips.

That's a bit extreme don't you think? And since Sakamoto dosn't seem is gonna leave the reigns of the series, you'll have to deal with it, sooner or later...

The storytelling of Retro was very poor, but the few of it was very well implemented, like log datas and descriptions of the enemies.

I always wondered if retro really wanted to add more Samus character development but were they stopped by Sakamoto...

_Alkaline_ said:
Weird that you mention Pinball, which was actually a pretty good pinball game, and not the underwhelming Hunters.

Hunters was ok, It was a mistake call it Metroid, because is not a Metroid game, it barely had any of the strenghts of the series. It still probably has better level design that most modern FPS that sells millions of units...

And I just say Pinball because it's was the only game that wasn't Prime and fit Segata's description...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Urgh, this game invaded my dreams last night. I had to investigate a light airy section of the ship that felt like it was someone's attic, and something had killed most of the marines and turned them into zombies. I had to freeze-pin one of their arms to the wall and missile shot him.

Then Zombie Anthony Higgs attacked me from behind while in first person mode, and I was playing with two Wii remotes with M+ for some reason, so we had to engage in a strikingly visceral boxing style fight in which I pounded his face into a pulp and then shoved him out a window.

Afterward I came on GAF and said "man, I don't know why people were complaining about the fist fight, I found it incredibly responsive, with no lag at all".

upandaway

Segata Sanshiro said:
So your only problem with ZM and Fusion was the controls? Though it annoyed me too

I'll be frank, I don't think those are ever gonna come back to Super levels. Sakamoto seems unwilling, looking at Other M.

Again, it would be kind of a wild card if Retro had a go at it.

_Alkaline_ said:
What did you think of Corruption, Segata? Seems like you'd be a little more fond of it than the others since it's more streamlined and better paced, as well as making Samus more manoeverable.
Never tried it. Generally I don't even bother with the third installment in a series if I play through the first and don't care for it and try the second and don't care for it.

Segata Sanshiro said:
This is exactly what I said about Fusion/Zero Mission years ago but was violently attacked on these boards for making such a claim. It's one of my main hangups with the GBA games.

Cygnus X-1 said:
WTF. Seriously. What a disappointment. Samus is not that character.

Yeah, I think this is a case of reading too much into it.

If you guys seriously thing something as arbitrary as that
sexist unlocks FTW!
is a talking point...

Whoa.

evilromero said:
This is exactly what I said about Fusion/Zero Mission years ago but was violently attacked on these boards for making such a claim. It's one of my main hangups with the GBA games.
Had I been here back then, you'd have had my axe, friend. They never sat quite right with me, though Fusion was worse because on top of the control oddities, it's also a lot more linear than I'd like.

Nemesis_

Unlocks really are not a point of discussion. Some of them are authorised,
some are found, and some are used because Samus can't be bothered waiting for authorisation

So yeah. >_>

robor

I can't wait to play this game. If only because there is so much irrational hatred going on in this thread. It fuels my desire and excitement for this game.

Top Bottom