• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gravijah said:
oh jesus christ this made me laugh so hard

why do i keep coming back to this topic? i'm going back to playing nier

BTW ANY OF YOU FUCKERS WHO LIKES RPGS BETTER PLAY THIS GAME SOMEDAY

Nier or Other M?

robor

etiolate said:
If you compare the Gunpei Metroids to Sakamoto's Metroid's without gunpei there is a distinct difference in structure and feel.

Gunpei produced Metroid and Metroid II. He was progress manager on SM. The core designs lean more toward Sakamoto's (excluding Metroid II) involvement than Yokoi's.

Narrative and digital "canon" aside, Metroid at it's heart, is wholly defined by exploration. So far, every single Metroid game (including the Primes) have captured exactly that and for good reason, as it's the core root of Metroid gameplay.

scitek

I have to say I felt the controls were rather amazingly well-handled. I was incredibly skeptical after having read some nasty impressions back a few months ago in an issue of Game Informer, and I ended up impressed as hell how well moving in a 3D space worked with a D-pad. Also, the combat is just fun to me, it's like Ninja Gaiden's speed and flashiness with really simplified controls, yet it still feels way more complex and deeper than a lot of other games thanks to the finishers, etc. Not coincidentally, I like the prequel trilogy, too. Both Star Wars and the Primes.

Nemesis_

kiryogi said:
It's as Samus says when she goes back. You need to make your way to where that valuable item is. And on the way there, you'll run into him. It's all part of the post end game Hint: The path involves using powerbombs and backtracking thru other sectors to get back to the main sector.

I just finished the sequence. I have to be honest, I really want to know why they decided to just randomly bring that certain character back, compared to a more sensible character such as
Kraid or even some clone of Mother Brain for shit and giggles

Not saying I am disappointed, it was fucking epic, I just see it as being an odd choice (and wasn't
Phantoon
a ghost anyway? >_>)

kiryogi

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
I just finished the sequence. I have to be honest, I really want to know why they decided to just randomly bring that certain character back, compared to a more sensible character such as
Kraid or even some clone of Mother Brain for shit and giggles

Not saying I am disappointed, it was fucking epic, I just see it as being an odd choice (and wasn't
Phantoon
a ghost anyway? >_>)

Yeah it's random alright.
Also a lot easier compared to his previous forms... His eye is out in the open like the entire time. In SM you had to wait for it to open and it was really brief. Regardless yeah, it was a pretty epic fight. Tho on previous note. Nightmare made sense since it was a galactic federation bio research. So from here we know they continue their bioweapons on that space station. And knowing that, there's probably more out there some where. Metroids never truly die :eek: Also I'm guessing that husk of Ridley is exactly what we saw in Fusion. Or they raised another Ridley XD

pulga

Banned
etiolate said:
:lol Nobody called me out on it.

Oh, but you were.

jman2050 said:
But they are.
Referring to the blank slate crap.

mugurumakensei said:
Actually, Samus isn't a blank slate. The manga has existed for a while, and this game is consistent with that model for Samus. Moreover, it should be noted that Yokoi was the producer not the director for the original Metroid. Sakamato has been directing the vision for Metroid since the beginning. It is essentially his baby. This has always been his vision from the original metroid.
More blank slate crap.

Doorman said:
Remember that little offhand comment I made a few posts back about people giving the minimalist approach of the early Metroid games too much credit?

Yeah. This is basically what I was referring to.
smh was all you could muster.

EmCeeGramr said:
I don't think Gunpei Yokoi had any creative input on Super Metroid at all, and his role on Metroid 1 was more that of a producer.

Chet Rippo said:
There really isn't that much of a difference between the structure of Super to Zero Mission, besides ZM's stealth sequence. Sure Fusion is different, but couldn't you say Return of Samus is also quite a bit different than Super?

Not to mention what EmCeeGramr said.

See, I don't think I'm alone when I consider your ass wipe of a post a huge pile of grade-A crap. Not my problem if you choose to live in a bubble where no one called you out, seeing as you responded to some of them, though a "smh" can barely be qualified as a retort. Seriously, who the hell are you to say you understand Samus/Metroid better than Sakamoto? :lol

He's had a vision for this character all along he's been trying to develop whenever he's given the option to, including the manga and some of Zero Mission, and he's finally received his opportunity with Other M to go all out.

It's his baby, not yours, not ours, and we have the right to dislike it all we want and express our opinion on it, but the right we DON'T have is to say we understand who she is better than he does or dictate who Samus is or should be.

So, can people drop their fuckin' sense of entitlement already and prepare themselves to enjoy/not enjoy the game for what it is?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
we're through the anus of the bestbeast here, people

Gravijah

ε4ÿ^«╕▌Σ∙A4 ╒1♦56♦WW◘█Y4░├¢&╦!¥;╥åï>?9═å\►ô╙78N ⌡GcB≤T┴±8ÜM▐+x○

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

etiolate

Banned
Rez said:
i mean looking glass lol

how did you even manage to confuse those two

pulga: You don't know what is being talked about, hence you don't know what calling me out would be, which is why I said come back when... but you've established your poor understanding.

You simply do not understand the issue of authorial intent and I do not fully expect some random person to understand it, but just realize it instead of getting angry.

pulga

Banned
etiolate said:
how did you even manage to confuse those two

pulga: You don't know what is being talked about, hence you don't know what calling me out would be, which is why I said come back when... but you've established your poor understanding.

You simply do not understand the issue of authorial intent and I do not fully expect some random person to understand it, but just realize it instead of getting angry.

I understand perfectly what you're trying to sell, I just don't buy made up crap from randoms on the interwebs.

Write as many papers you like on the subject, you're still talking out of your ass.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
To whoever posted the Orchestral Game Music rendition of Super Metroid a few pages back, holy shit thank you. I'm listening to the five albums right now and it's probably the best video game music I've ever listened to.

robor

pulga said:
I understand perfectly what you're trying to sell, I just don't buy made up crap from randoms on the interwebs.

Write as many papers you like on the subject, you're still talking out of your ass.

Books define his posts. So long as he hides behind his academic overlords, he'll always claim his theory isn't after the fact.

Nemesis_

Finally 100%ed. Game is amazing. Fuck the haters.

That's really all I have to say.

Prime is still better though....I think.

etiolate

Banned
pulga said:

:lol

Is your fallacy intentional?

edit: MNC is right, this has nothing to do with the game, so I am just dropping it.

MNC

Come the fuck on, don't get this thread locked :< I need to have a place to discuss it when it's released in Europe.

So how's the music?:D

pulga

Banned
etiolate said:
:lol

Is your fallacy intentional?

edit: MNC is right, this has nothing to do with the game, so I am just dropping it.

I'd love for you to point it out, or we could just drop it. Either way, I'm off to bed, first day of work in a few hours and can't sleep because of fuckin' GAF. :lol

kiryogi

Banned
MNC said:
Come the fuck on, don't get this thread locked :< I need to have a place to discuss it when it's released in Europe.

So how's the music?:D

Was mentioned earlier. Nothing memorable or game-like outside of 2-3 homage tracks. It's more ambiance than anything. Which works extremely well ingame for setting the mood and atmosphere. But it's nothing you're gonna be humming years from now.

brandonh83 said:
when I was little and my family would go to the lake, I'd always go underwater and play the Meridia theme in my head

just some quick trivia.
Shit... If I was always reminded about Maridia everytime I went to a lake or beach I would never put my feet near the water :lol

etiolate needs to understand that when people say that it's Sakamoto's series, they mean it in the same way people say Cameron's Avatar. Sure there's a fuckton of people helping and putting great influence in the series, but it's still the director who fills out the most important role and therefore gets a certain authority (wether they even own the rights, etc.)

Sakamoto has directed 5 Metroid games (Including, arguable, the two most important games: Metroid and Super Metroid). I honestly don't see any wrong in saying that it's Sakamoto's series (without meaning it to the most litterally sense).

As far as I know Gunpei's influence on the Metroid series doesn't have much to do with plot, design and gameplay but more with the fact that Metroid II was produced for Gunpei's Gameboy and that Super Metroid was allowed to have such a long development time. But I'm sure Shikamaru Ninja will write about that in detail.

pulga said:

Shut up already, that guy clearly knows better than all of us because he wrote an essay about the book from a guy who once had butt sex with Lara Croft. Sakamoto is teh noobz.

Nemesis_

Another question - for those who've finished.

Who was the
Deleter?
I've been wondering since, well, it was never really covered. Of course, we could assume it was
K.G.
since they are left totally unaccounted for, but is it confirmed anywhere that I may have missed?

kiryogi

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
Another question - for those who've finished.

Who was the
Deleter?
I've been wondering since, well, it was never really covered. Of course, we could assume it was
K.G.
since they are left totally unaccounted for, but is it confirmed anywhere that I may have missed?

No one knows for sure. I at first thought it was James considering how he acted and he was gonna kill Melissa. But the fact KG is MIA and remains unresolved is sure fishy.

SpokkX

Starting up a prime game is kind of like starting a playthrough of a rpg. You will need a siginificant investment in time and dedication. I love the Prime games (well except Prime 2 which is a long tedious fetch.quest with cool bosses and amazing artistic design) but they do not have the pick up and play feeling of the old metroid games.

This makes me want to replay Super/Fusoin/Zero instead of picking up a Prime game almost every time

I am hoping this game suits itself well for replayability like the old 2d games

SpokkX said:
Starting up a prime game is kind of like starting a playthrough of a rpg. You will need a siginificant investment in time and dedication. I love the Prime games (well except Prime 2 which is a long tedious fetch.quest with cool bosses and amazing artistic design) but they do not have the pick up and play feeling of the old metroid games.

This makes me want to replay Super/Fusoin/Zero instead of picking up a Prime game almost every time

I am hoping this game suits itself well for replayability like the old 2d games

I know have been negative about the game but I think I can say rather objectively that is does not share that quality. I agree with you about the prime games, too.
This game is too linear and peppered with too many cutscenes to have that same pick up and play feel.

I'd like to be wrong here, but I don't think it's possible to sequence break at all in this game. Not that that has much to do with your question, but it just feels so different from any other metroid game.

kiryogi

Banned
strx said:
I know have been negative about the game but I think I can say rather objectively that is does not share that quality. I agree with you about the prime games, too.
This game is too linear and peppered with too many cutscenes to have that same pick up and play feel.

I'd like to be wrong here, but I don't think it's possible to sequence break at all in this game. Not that that has much to do with your question, but it just feels so different from any other metroid game.

You can skip cutscenes on replay.

I'm trying to avoid spoilers so I only skimmed through the thread, but I've been told about a bug similar to what you can encounter in Prime 2, where you can screw yourself up by saving at a wrong time and cause a door to never open. Is there actually such a thing, or does the person who told me about this just suck at games?

kiryogi

Banned
Gravijah said:
speaking of, this game better have multiple save... uh... slots.

And on the earlier post. No idea. I haven't heard of anyone actually getting stuck for good. But I recall seeing a review saying you can actually get stuck somewhere and can't do anything about it.

hamchan

SpacePirate Ridley said:
You know, I may even like the story and intros of the game when I playb it, but ummm...
I think this is fantastic news. I didnt hear anyone saying that yet.

It'll be even more fantastic if they let you skip cutscenes during the first playthrough.

Gravijah

kiryogi said:

And on the earlier post. No idea. I haven't heard of anyone actually getting stuck for good. But I recall seeing a review saying you can actually get stuck somewhere and can't do anything about it.

3? Meh, it'll do. Hate having limits.

kiryogi

Banned
hamchan said:
It'll be even more fantastic if they let you skip cutscenes during the first playthrough.

Now now we can't have any of that. People will miss out what Sakamoto really wanted to express with his daughter.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's always a slap in the face when you realise the skip function is in there as a simple true/false in the code and their egos answered 'false'

Gravijah

Rez said:
it's always a slap in the face when you realise the skip function is in there as a simple true/false in the code and their egos answered 'false'

reminds me of a thread I always want to make re: skipping cutscenes...

Top Bottom