• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Prime 2 bosses were so good they actually made Prime 3's otherwise not offensive bosses seem so, so much worse. Fighting them in the Seed was so lame.

Prime 2 is a bit of an anomaly. Outside of Resident Evil 4, I struggle to think of a better set of bosses. It's a shame the final 'monster' boss in Prime 2 was a bit of a clunker.

robor said:
Is that the dude with the red balls? Man that boss was BORING. I never finished the game because of it. UGH.

That was Mogenar.

This was Helios:

boss_helios1.jpg

Synless said:
Well, first it's still $50 in stores that have it. Second, playing with the Wii controls really does make the game much quicker. Combat is much more fast paced due to the difference in controls. Samus doesn't move like the tank she was using the Gamecube controller.
A firm but gentle reminder that where I live, stores don't have it, so I have to import it from whoever will sell it. So it's $80, with the shipping. And unless it cuts literally 50% of Prime and 75% of Prime 2 out, Wii aiming isn't going to save shit for me.

upandaway

:lol this is a bit overwhelming. I'll back off

Edit: Segata your issues with Prime aren't fixed at all with the Trilogy version. Don't bother, the only result will be we having to listen to you complain about it some more

robor

Rez said:
The Prime 2 bosses were so good they actually made Prime 3's otherwise not offensive bosses seem so, so much worse. Fighting them in the Seed was so lame.

Was it like that for the whole game?

*edit*

_Alkaline_ said:
That was Mogenar.

Come on dude, he was easy.

This was Helios:

boss_helios1.jpg

Yea that's right. Oh he wasn't hard, just boring as shit. I just gave up caring to be honest, Prime 3 left a bad taste in my mouth after playing the other two.

Echoes has my favourite bosses in games, period.

Prime on the other hand is just my favourite game. Prime 3 was a step down from 1/2 in most ways but it still rocked.

Taken together I like Prime 1-3 a lot better than Metroid 1-3 (and even 4). :p
The Prime trilogy is just incredible in my eyes.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
robor said:
Was it like that for the whole game?
The 'big' bosses were all in the same room, essentially. Compared to the genius of the Echoes 'big' bosses, it come off as very... I don't know, uninspired? I want to say lazy, but what would I know.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
_Alkaline_ said:
Dude,..the bosses are, like, one of the best things about the game. Only the morph ball puzzles can compare.

And one of the bosses is a fucking morph ball puzzle.

Holy shit echoes is awesome.
Arrrgh, I need time to keep playing through my copy of Trilogy, I'm like an hour into Echoes and real life has been getting in the way lately.

Rez said:

Prime 2 is a bit of an anomaly. Outside of Resident Evil 4, I struggle to think of a better set of bosses. It's a shame the final 'monster' boss in Prime 2 was a bit of a clunker.

The shame about Corruption is that the best boss was in the first two hours of the game. :/

Gravijah

Rez said:
The 'big' bosses were all in the same room, essentially. Compared to the genius of the Echoes 'big' bosses, it come off as very... I don't know, uninspired? I want to say lazy, but what would I know.

It's OK dude, as a consumer you're allowed to criticize products without having to deal with "BUT U NOT MAEK GAMZ".

I hope.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not all of Prime 3's bosses were lame. Meta Ridley, Rundas, Gandrayda, and Dark Samus were all pretty rad fights, if too easy. The rest were below par though.

SpokkX

Echoes has nice bosses and morphball puzzles.

... but gameplaywise those are the ONLY positive things I can say about the game. The rest of the game is really a frustating confusing mess imo. It is never remotely clear where to go next thanks to some really confusing maps (as opposed to Prime 1 where the level design was more naturally flowing)

Also it did not feel like a Metroid game setting-wise. The design was nice, but it was not Metroid-design. It felt way to gritty and dark.

Prime 1 is easily the best in the Prime-series, followed by 3. Prime 3 was good but there were some parts that should have been cut out. The intro and ending really did not feel like a Metroid experience at all but more like a standard western fps

Guevara

_Alkaline_ said:
The shame about Corruption is that the best boss was in the first two hours of the game. :/

Corruption was the only Prime title I was able to playthrough essentially in one go over the course of a weekend or so. Take that how you will (and I loved 1 and 2).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Two things:

Boss is a hilarious word.

This thread is so much nicer like this.

Guevara said:
Corruption was the only Prime title I was able to playthrough essentially in one go over the course of a weekend or so. Take that how you will (and I loved 1 and 2).

As I've said in the past, Corruption is arguably the most 'fun' game in the Prime series, even if it isn't an complex or satisfying as the other two games.

One of the great things about the Prime series is that each entry feels connected but also very distinct from eachother - they each have a contrasting style.

Rez said:

Also had better morphball sequences and introduced morph ball bosses.

EatChildren said:
Not all of Prime 3's bosses were lame. Meta Ridley, Rundas, Gandrayda, and Dark Samus were all pretty rad fights, if too easy. The rest were below par though.

Actually, you're right. Gandrayda and Rundus were pretty neat.

I thought the final boss was a letdown though. The setting and premise was there but not the execution. It was just all a bit too easy, particularly when consider how much it had been built up to until that point.

It was just kind of like...that's it?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Synless said:
I liked the first Prime, the other two were meh.

Quoted for truth. The first Prime was basically first person Super Metroid, whereas I didn't enjoy Prime 2 nearly as much, and Corruption was lolz with ship flying back and forth, the story, the characters.

Guevara

_Alkaline_ said:
As I've said in the past, Corruption is arguably the most 'fun' game in the Prime series, even if it isn't an complex or satisfying as the other two games.

One of the great things about the Prime series is that each entry feels connected but also very distinct from eachother - they each have a contrasting style.

Yes it felt like one big rollercoaster to me. Also it had the great novelty of the new (to me)Wii controls.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
_Alkaline_ said:
Actually, you're right. Gandrayda and Rundus were pretty neat.

I thought the final boss was a letdown though. The setting and premise was there but not the execution. It was just all a bit too easy, particularly when consider how much it had been built up to until that point.

It was just kind of like...that's it?

Yeah, it was a bit of a let down. The Dark Samus fight I thought was pretty great, but the final fight was way too easy and anti-climatic. Even though I love Echoes and it's boss fights, I felt it's final battle too was anticlimatic. Metroid Prime, on the other hand, was a fucking amazing fight.

And goddamn shit fucking cocks, I accidentally had an Other M bossfight spoiled :mad:. I didn't want to know that. Lesson; dont browse seemingly unrelated information on the Metroid wiki.

daakusedo

I don't consider the final boss in corruption too easy.
Each time I fight it, I was going to die, like one more second and it's over.

Cygnus X-1

itsinmyveins said:
Here's a question; I've got Prime and Echoes -- the Gamecube-versions -- and Corruption for Wii (obviously). Should I bother picking the Wii trilogy-pack up if I'm planning on replaying them? What's the incentive there? I honestly don't know how I'd feel about playing them with the Wii-mote, I think that maybe they fit better with the classic setup.

16:9.

Guevara said:
Yes it felt like one big rollercoaster to me. Also it had the great novelty of the new (to me)Wii controls.

I think some people have forgotten that Corruption had some fantastic moments, even if it wasn't at quite the same level as its bretheren.

Kinda really spoilery (though the game is three years old people. This is more in case Segata accidentally came across this post):

Stuff like Skytown, the Metroid Lab, your visor reflecting your corrupted face, being transported to Bryyo Ice, the Balrog fight, the grapple lasso, finding Metroid Prime's husk, the Pirate Homeworld, seeing corrupted Rundus in the distance on the Bryyo Cliffs, your ship not recognizing you, etc. There is some amazing stuff packed into that game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
_Alkaline_ said:
I think some people have forgotten that Corruption had some fantastic moments, even if it wasn't at quite the same level as its bretheren.

Stuff like Skytown, the Metroid Lab, being transported to Bryyo Ice, the Balrog right, the Pirate Homeworld, etc. There is some amazing stuff packed into that game.
After I'm done with Echoes (and Other M, which will slot in somewhere between Torvus Bog and The Fortress at my current rate), Corruption is next.

You're right, of all the games, it's the one I remember least. It will be nice playing it back-to-back with the others, rose-glasses free.

_Alkaline_ said:

Yeah, very true. When you really think about it Corruption is like the antithesis of Echoes design sensibilities and is often why you see one person love one yet hate the other. The original Prime has strong elements from both games but closer to the 2D games in design. I love them all because they excel at what they set out to do.

Rez said:

You know what was great? How sometimes the bosses were foreshadowed long before you would come to face them.

Retro did this quite well in Prime through log book entries and environment detail (eg: the toxic water from Flaagrah, pirate data about Project Helix and Titan, Ridley's shadow, chozo lore about The Worm, etc) but Echoes did it even better I reckon. The statue of Amorbis in Agon Wastes, how the Pirates think Dark Samus is you with new abilities, the roars of the Grapple Guardian above, the pieces of Quadraxis in Sanctuary Fortress. Hell, you get to watch the Alpha Blogg swim around before you face him. It's totally unsettling.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
_Alkaline_ said:
You know what was great? How sometimes the bosses were foreshadowed long before you would come to face them.

Retro did this quite well in Prime through log book entries and environment detail (eg: the toxic water from Flaagrah, pirate data about Project Helix and Titan, Ridley's shadow, chozo lore about The Worm, etc) but Echoes did it even better I reckon. The statue of Amorbis in Agon Wastes, how the Pirates think Dark Samus is you with new abilities, the roars of the Grapple Guardian above, the pieces of Quadraxis in Sanctuary Fortress. Hell, you get to watch the Alpha Blogg swim around before you face him. It's totally unsettling.

As far as the Prime series are concerned, we're kindred spirits, Alk. This is spot on.

dr_octagon

Banned
Echoes has been likened to the majora's mask of the prime series. I enjoyed the difficulty, the dark world could have been better (as it was just a mirror) and not too fond of the ammo system but it was still a great game.

Corruption is seen as the weakest of the three but in an amazing series that doesn't make it mediocre. It left the trilogy on a good note and showed how the wii remote controls could be more than just waggle. Don't read the following if you have not played Corruption -
the first encounter with Ridley, falling down the tunnel, was a great boss fight.
It added to the series but not quite as groundbreaking as people may have hoped.

The Prime series should be a lesson for some, they raised the bar and it wasn't just a FPS. The way the story was told, the design, the gameplay and music was amazing and still holds up today.

@Magicpaint - I agree all three games have a unique feel
@_Alkaline_ - that's true and adds a lot to the story telling

Synless

Segata Sanshiro said:
A firm but gentle reminder that where I live, stores don't have it, so I have to import it from whoever will sell it. So it's $80, with the shipping. And unless it cuts literally 50% of Prime and 75% of Prime 2 out, Wii aiming isn't going to save shit for me.
What country do you live in?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My Amazon.com release-date delivery order still hasn't shipped...I'm starting to get concerned.

pulga

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:

Haven't agreed more with any other post or poster in this thread. Just went trough Prime 1 Wii a week ago, skipped Echoes and started Corruption again, and the subtle and immediate differences are, redundancy aside, instantly noticeable.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Plinko said:
My Amazon.com release-date delivery order still hasn't shipped...I'm starting to get concerned.

Depending on which fulfillment center is shipping your order, they'll just use overnight express if it's a close one. It won't show as shipped until late in the afternoon your time.

I live in PA near a center that ships most of my games, and my release date delivery orders often show up as shipped close to midnight the day before it is scheduled to arrive :lol

EatChildren said:
Not all of Prime 3's bosses were lame. Meta Ridley, Rundas, Gandrayda, and Dark Samus were all pretty rad fights, if too easy.

I think you have to blame Echos for that though. If you remember when Echos came out, the big complaint it got was that the Boss' were too difficult.

Personally for me all 3 Prime games are really good. Though I have to be the odd ball out I guess and put Corruption over Echos.

Red

Echoes has the best boss fights in gaming. Very few games come close to those encounters for me (Shadow of the Colossus is the only one I can think of offhand). Corruption has the worst. That, combined with the 10-15 minute sections, constantly broken up by flying from one world to the next, the interruptive mission directions and repeated guidance stained the whole experience for me. I didn't like the friends that were introduced, didn't like the instant "easy mode" with the PED suit, didn't like that every item upgrade was directly in your path, and I thought the vast majority of all the levels were terribly boring. I remember an ice section being there for like a room or two. Why? Why was that even there?

Ahhh it still frustrates me, just thinking about it. It's a game I feel like I should give a second chance, but I just can't be bothered. I don't like it, especially not the beginning section, and the harder I try to like it the more burnt out I feel by it all. Except for the abandoned ship near the end of the game and the final fight with Ridley, it is a constant stream of disappointments.

Might be worth adding I've seen Trilogy being sold at Super Ks and Targets usually for between $10 and $20. It's perpetually on clearance.

Crunched said:
Echoes has the best boss fights in gaming. Very few games come close to those encounters for me (Shadow of the Colossus is the only one I can think of offhand). Corruption has the worst. That, combined with the 10-15 minute sections, constantly broken up by flying from one world to the next, the interruptive mission directions and repeated guidance stained the whole experience for me. I didn't like the friends that were introduced, didn't like the instant "easy mode" with the PED suit, didn't like that every item upgrade was directly in your path, and I thought the vast majority of all the levels were terribly boring. I remember an ice section being there for like a room or two. Why? Why was that even there?

Ahhh it still frustrates me, just thinking about it. It's a game I feel like I should give a second chance, but I just can't be bothered. I don't like it, especially not the beginning section, and the harder I try to like it the more burnt out I feel by it all. Except for the abandoned ship near the end of the game and the final fight with Ridley, it is a constant stream of disappointments.

Might be worth adding I've seen Trilogy being sold at Super Ks and Targets usually for between $10 and $20. It's perpetually on clearance.
Serious question- how is the ship flying any different than taking an elevator? It takes the same time (skippable even). Also, you're telling me you didn't like the amazing Rhundas boss battle? One of the best boss songs and the lead up to the fight was terrifying. I also LOVED the Metroid Lab in Prime 3. Still freaks me out. That is what the series is all about.

Boney

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
It is NOT a first party developed game. It's developed by Team Ninja under the supervision of Sakamoto.
Most of the R&D1 team that worked on Fusion and Zero Mision is on board sooo it's more first party than the Retro games that had Yamamoto and err Miyamoto.

Cygnus X-1 said:
It would be better to just ignore the existence of Other M. Just like everyone ignores the Zelda made by Philips.
hey... now you're just being stupid.

itsinmyveins said:
Thanks for pushing me into buying a new Wii game, people.

33pcvn8.jpg
You should've gone with any of the 2d games if you wanted to get into the Metroid vibe though.

Top Bottom