• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Gravijah

Sadist said:
To.. many... avatar... quotes...

259ec76.gif

Sadist

Prime Blue said:
Oh, we could talk about the alleged sexism some more.
Dem behaviors aren't modern ya know

Oh yeah, I've read on other messageboards are actually having a discussion about labeling Other M as an spin-off rather than a main game because it doesn't have the typical Nintendo quality. Dudes who try to argue that Other M belongs to the main continuity are getting spatt on :lol

Boney

Banned
Sadist said:
Dem behaviors aren't modern ya know

Oh yeah, I've read on other messageboards are actually having a discussion about labeling Other M as an spin-off rather than a main game because it doesn't have the typical Nintendo quality. Dudes who try to argue that Other M belongs to the main continuity are getting spatt on :lol
Why do you keep frequenting those places?

heringer

I shall have my copy tomorrow.

Quite a feat considering I live in Brazil. :D

ps.: wasn't cheap though. You guys are so lucky to grab stuff day one paying $50 bucks. :(

Boney

Banned
heringer said:
I shall have my copy tomorrow.

Quite a feat considering I live in Brazil. :D

ps.: wasn't cheap though. You guys are so lucky to grab stuff day one paying $50 bucks. :(
No kidding :(

Boney

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I am pretty sure his favorite movie is Phantom Menace.
8/10

parish said:
That being said, Other M is a really good game, and I don't want to contribute to all this weird groupthink I've been seeing since the reviews began to hit. An alarming number of gamers who were seemingly looking forward to Other M saw mixed reviews and suddenly decided to bail on the entire game without even trying it for themselves. I'm admittedly annoyed by the contrivances of the plot and the gawdawful voice acting, but that doesn't change the fact that the other 90% of Other M is a brilliantly crafted take on the Metroid formula.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just cancelled my Amazon preorder since I found a mom & pop shop here in NY that is selling it early.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
parish said:
In some ways, I think Nintendo is making a mistake in bothering to make new Metroid titles at all. There's no real benefit to it. Sure, fans clamor for them, but said fans also hold the series to the impossibly high standard of Super Metroid, a game whose success was a fleeting stroke of good luck. How do you follow up a work that many people consider perfection?
If this were the case, people wouldn't be buying NSMB, Mario Kart, Madden and every other game that improves on it's formula. Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited about the action focus that the game has been given (but I also love Team Ninja games) I just think this is a really weak argument. People love sequels and there is no reason not to release another game in a series just because it's predecessor is held in such high regard.

Metroid Prime Is arguably the same quality, if not better than Super.

And on a personal note, I thought Fusion was excellent, and better than Prime 2 and 3. I'm looking forward to another game that's like Fusion.

But I was cheap and went with free Amazon shipping, so I have to wait until Friday or Saturday :(

Poyunch

MadOdorMachine said:
If this were the case, people wouldn't be buying NSMB, Mario Kart, Madden and every other game that improves on it's formula. Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited about the action focus that the game has been given (but I also love Team Ninja games) I just think this is a really weak argument. People love sequels and there is no reason not to release another game in a series just because it's predecessor is held in such high regard.
He explains the NSMB thing. Don't know what to say about Mario Kart and Madden. I don't really understand how anyone can really stand supporting the Madden franchise though. I mean I know it's the only really good NFL game but man...

dvolovets

So apparently I'll be getting this from Amazon on September 1st. I was under the impression that release-date delivery was an option for Other M...do you guys think there's a chance I may still get it tomorrow even though it shipped today and the estimate is for the 1st? I don't really care too much either way, but would be nice if Amazon lived up to their guarantees...

Teknoman

MadOdorMachine said:

I think he just means how people are (well probably not that many) just shutting out the game based on a few negative reviews and that the game is more straightforward than past Metroid titles (aside from Fusion).

With NSMB Wii and Mario Kart Wii, even though the games were tons of fun and well made, there were still alot of people here who claimed they had no place among the past games.

mantidor

Boney said:
Apparently the art folio is available here! But on a much more expensive store :(

The art thing was also here for preorder but it was close to $100. Screw that, I went with Amazon, unfortunately I'm too poor to use anything but the free shipping, and that takes almost a week. Shipping then from the p.o. box to my country and taxes is another fee to pay, but even then is still cheaper than buying it here.

dvolovets said:
So apparently I'll be getting this from Amazon on September 1st. I was under the impression that release-date delivery was an option for Other M...do you guys think there's a chance I may still get it tomorrow even though it shipped today and the estimate is for the 1st? I don't really care too much either way, but would be nice if Amazon lived up to their guarantees...

I got overnight shipping from Gamestop.com but I don't think I'll see the game until Wednesday.

heringer

mantidor said:
The art thing was also here for preorder but it was close to $100. Screw that, I went with Amazon, unfortunately I'm too poor to use anything but the free shipping, and that takes almost a week. Shipping then from the p.o. box to my country and taxes is another fee to pay, but even then is still cheaper than buying it here.
Where do you live?

Teknoman

dvolovets said:

Mine is still estimated for August 31st delivery, but status is "Shipping soon".

antonz

dvolovets said:

Are you a Prime member? Release Day is only available for Prime Members though if you are and its scheduled for the 1st it may just be an inventory issue. My release date delivery is in process now scheduled for tommorrow.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh boy, tomorrow is almost here! Unfortunately I have to work on Tuesday, which is normally my day off, so I'ma gonna have to get up early to snag my copy and try it out.
Can't wait to finally play this sucker.

dvolovets

antonz said:
Are you a Prime member? Release Day is only available for Prime Members though if you are and its scheduled for the 1st it may just be an inventory issue. My release date delivery is in process now scheduled for tommorrow.
Yup, I'm a Prime member. One possible issue is that I pre-ordered the game before Amazon had the release-date delivery option...so yeah, could be an inventory issue I suppose. Although you'd think they would ship earlier to those who pre-ordered earlier. :) Oh well.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
PounchEnvy said:
He explains the NSMB thing. Don't know what to say about Mario Kart and Madden. I don't really understand how anyone can really stand supporting the Madden franchise though. I mean I know it's the only really good NFL game but man...
Because people love the series. There are some gamers I know who this is the main game they play. They buy each Madden every year. Anyway, my point is that his argument is weak because he's saying there's no point in making new Metroid or Zelda games because Nintendo has already perfected the formula and there is nothing they could do to improve upon it. I couldn't disagree more. There is always something that can be done to improve or expand upon and the gameplay in MoM looks revolutionary to me.

I haven't played the game, but from what I can see in the videos it will be influential to future action games. I'm not saying I want my next Ninja Gaiden game to be on autopilot, but there are a lot of things that could be made easier. Finishing moves and dodging are some of them. Not to mention that, but the game really does look seamless in it's camera transitions. There's a lot that looks great about this game but it's being drawn back for the way the story is being told. Yeah, it's cringe worthy, but it may be appealing to kids and cement the series survival for the next few years.

He also says the Metroid Prime was essentially Super Metroid in 3D. No it wasn't, it was more like Metroid (the original game) in 3D. As good as Metroid Prime was, there were still a lot of problems with it. I guess what I'm saying is that some people are being overly critical. There are more than enough changes in this game to warrent a sequel. I haven't even played it yet and I want another one just so they can fix the problems with this game and expand upon what works in it. This is a case of Nintendo being damned if you do, damned if you don't imo.

Teknoman

antonz said:

You sure? I'm not a prime member and had the option.

I really like to hear people's opinions on this.

This game's events and settings are almost completely lifted from fusion. This game pretty much nulifies fusion. The impact of everything that happened in fusion has been reduced to nothing. Samus wouldn't be surprised to see metroids anymore. Samus would likely say, "Oh that Galactic Federation is up to their old tricks again. Oh well." And how we all thought that Samus would be on the run from the GF if there was a metroid 5? Nope, likely just a slap on the wrist since it doesn't matter is Samus fucks up the plans of the GF.

I can't believe they used the same kind of ship with similar sections and even the same kind of "secret lab" full of metroids. And it gets ejected from the ship just like fusion.

What's with this, huh?

antonz

Teknoman said:
You sure? I'm not a prime member and had the option.
Hm you are right. Apparently Prime Members just get it for free instead of a charge.

I have seen some reports of release day option not showing up for people when checking out then when they cancelled and reordered it was an option. Amazon may just have a fluke in the system for people having trouble

Super Metroid was revolutionary and is still VERY polished but I don't understand why people think it perfects the formula. There are aspects of the game tha( have already been expanded upon in subsequent games anyway. Metroid as a series continues to evolve and imo still has plenty to offer. It's definitely my favourite series.

antonz

Magicpaint said:
Super Metroid was revolutionary and is still VERY polished but I don't understand why people think it perfects the formula. There are aspects of the game tha( have already been expanded upon in subsequent games anyway. Metroid as a series continues to evolve and imo still has plenty to offer. It's definitely my favourite series.

I think it is kinda a similar situation to Ocarina of Time. Since it is so overly popular its the "perfect" formula to many. I imagine just like OOT if they constantly redid Super Metroid it would lead to the same lashing Twilight Princess got for being too much OOT.

Magicpaint said:

Expanded on, perhaps, but not improved or refined.
Super Metroid has better pacing, better suit upgrades, and control than the rest of the series. You are always in control of Samus. You aren't ever restricted to context sensitive actions. And you aren't restricted by level design either. Super Metroid offers a freedom that no other Metroid game has had.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Magicpaint said:

though it's hard to compare them directly, i prefer PRIME to SM. so i agree, wholeheartedly.

Speevy

Banned
Super Metroid is one of a handful of SNES games which is playable today if you've never touched it before, and not merely for nostalgia's sake.

It's that good.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmmm? Was there supposed to an Amazon credit and/or a Prime upgrade to free release date shipping? If so, Amazon gave me neither. I'm a Prime member and it hadn't shipped yet by noon, and was slated for delivery NEXT week. Fuck that.

John Harker said:
To walk ins?
Where?
Nassau Street by Fulton.

strx said:
Expanded on, perhaps, but not improved or refined.
Super Metroid has better pacing, better suit upgrades, and control than the rest of the series. You are always in control of Samus. You aren't ever restricted to context sensitive actions. And you aren't restricted by level design either. Super Metroid offers a freedom that no other Metroid game has had.
Zero Mission has better controls than Super Metroid while offering similar pacing and suit upgrades. It's also a better game as a result, even if it does have some linearity near the beginning and end.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Super used to just outrank Prime for me because of Prime's tank controls (keep in mind that I played Super after Prime). But the MPT version of Prime is for me the perfect Metroid game.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So after playing a little more, my dislike for the authorization shit intensifies.
It really sucks the fun out of exploring for stuff, because the only things you find on your own (at least so far) besides energy and missile upgrades are those things that let you build a charge faster.

That said, the
Ridley fight
and the buildup to it was awesome.

strx said:

This game's events and settings are almost completely lifted from fusion. This game pretty much nulifies fusion. The impact of everything that happened in fusion has been reduced to nothing. Samus wouldn't be surprised to see metroids anymore. Samus would likely say, "Oh that Galactic Federation is up to their old tricks again. Oh well." And how we all thought that Samus would be on the run from the GF if there was a metroid 5? Nope, likely just a slap on the wrist since it doesn't matter is Samus fucks up the plans of the GF.

I can't believe they used the same kind of ship with similar sections and even the same kind of "secret lab" full of metroids. And it gets ejected from the ship just like fusion.

What's with this, huh?

She also acts super surprised when she sees Ridley, even though she's killed him like 5 times before. Though I'm not sure if the Prime games are considered canon at this point.

strx said:

What's with this, huh?
Aside from Samus' thoughts during Fusion, I suppose you could argue that the Metroid Militarization and Bottle Ship incident branched out a lot further under different guises to continue research from Other M. We don't know what really happened to MB after Other M so we can assume the GF either used her to regain all the information lost after the Bottle Ship was destroyed. And I'm pretty sure someone higher up rescinded the "chairman's orders" considering how valuable Metroid research is. Plot hole nonetheless.
:lol

Top Bottom