• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

upandaway

donkey show said:
LOL. Right after that is one of the best boss fights in Metroid. You guys are crazy.
Never liked boss fights. Megaman is the only exception.

I'm thinking of getting it, just not at $50.

MiamiWesker said:
So anyone play this game on hard, is it hard?
From what I've dabbled with so far last night, you definitely take more damage, but I haven't noticed any changes in enemy patterns or different enemies in different locations as of yet. The one shitty part was having to do that damn tutorial again. I mean wtf? :lol

upandaway said:
Never liked boss fights. Megaman is the only exception.

Fair enough, but the sense move and lethal strikes really added to the awesome of fighting the Roid monster. It was like, yeah... this is how it should be.

Peff

MiamiWesker said:

From what I've read
there are no health tanks or missile expansions
but I'm not sure if there are any stat changes.

MiamiWesker said:
Is Corruption really seen as the weakest. I thought it went Prime>Prime 3> Prime 2 in general love.

It depends on what you like most about a Metroid game. If you like action and a fast pace, then you'll probably take Corruption over Echoes. If you like exploration and more cerebral experiences, you'll take Echoes over Corruption. The games are almost opposite each other while still being totally Metriod. They push opposite extremes of the experience.

I'm an Echoes fan myself. It's not as easy to slip into as Corruption, but it's much more satisfying and has many of the highest points in the series. You just have to be prepared for a slower moving game.

Red

DragonGirl said:
I question this. The Metroid Hatcher you are describing makes three appearances and the very first one is before you get the X-ray/Plasma combo. You couldn't one shot it and had to fight it the hard way.
First one I ran into was on Norion (?). I went back and explored more after getting the X Ray visor, I know that. And it definitely was the first I encountered.

Gravijah

upandaway said:
We already went through this 3 pages ago. Boss fights in general suck, and I seem to have the the opposite opinion of everyone else regarding which are the best.

so i take it you don't like shadow of the colossus

DragonGirl said:
It depends on what you like most about a Metroid game. If you like action and a fast pace, then you'll probably take Corruption over Echoes. If you like exploration and more cerebral experiences, you'll take Echoes over Corruption. The games are almost opposite each other while still being totally Metriod. They push opposite extremes of the experience.

I'm an Echoes fan myself. It's not as easy to slip into as Corruption, but it's much more satisfying and has many of the highest points in the series. You just have to be prepared for a slower moving game.

Couldn't have summed it up any better.

I forget who it was, but someone on GAF compared the three games to different types of chocolate. Echoes is like dark chocolate - bitter but deeper and richer. Corruption is like white chocolate - light, sweet and easy to eat but doesn't have quite the same level of texture. And Prime is like milk chocolate - the most balanced and enjoyable for the masses.

I think that was the general gist of it. It was a great way to sum up the trilogy I reckon.

Boney said:
Enjoyed them as well. The second page was very filleriphic, but it's so nice to look back on Super. How come you didn't get to review Other M? :(

Because I stupidly passed on getting the review copy. No worries though, I'll do a spoilerific in depth feature on it in the future.

upandaway

Gravijah said:
so i take it you don't like shadow of the colossus
What I hate is repeating moves, or waiting for vulnerability time, or watching the opening cutscene every time I die. I like bosses more when they're just normal enemies only harder (like in RPGs). I think I'll like SotC because it's more like levels from what I've seen, although there's some repetition too

Wayyy off topic though

_Alkaline_ said:
Couldn't have summed it up any better.

I forget who it was, but someone on GAF compared the three games to different types of chocolate. Echoes is like dark chocolate - bitter but deeper and richer. Corruption is like white chocolate - light, sweet and easy to eat but doesn't have quite the same level of texture. And Prime is like milk chocolate - the most balanced and enjoyable for the masses.

I think that was the general gist of it. It was a great way to sum up the trilogy I reckon.

Heh, yeah, that was me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm incredibly happy that I got the Prime trilogy, because before that I just had one Gamecube playthrough of only the first game under my belt. Such a ridiculous value.

Crunched said:
First one I ran into was on Norion (?). I went back and explored more after getting the X Ray visor, I know that. And it definitely was the first I encountered.

Hmm, now I need to replay again. I'm pretty sure you have to face at least one before you get that green beam weapon, which is the one that makes sniping with the x-ray scope possible. The Metroid Hatcher is actually reasonably difficult if you don't snipe it.

DragonGirl said:

Very true. I think for me it was having Echoes after Prime which was a masterpiece. Echoes simply was not as good so it felt like a disappointment. MP3 had the luxury of coming out way after, maybe if MP3 came out second I would feel the same. Also I am more of an action guy so MP3 was right up my ally. I will say that Echoes has the best boss fights of the Prime games.

DragonGirl said:
Heh, yeah, that was me.

You're kidding? :lol

That retrospective was pretty golden. I do feel you're a tad (just a tad) harsh on Corruption. I mean it's still obvious you really like it, but there were still some terrific things about the game that you could've mentioned, whereas you listed every single great thing in the other two Prime games. It seemed like you glossed over them a tad.

But overall it was a ripper of a piece.

_Alkaline_ said:
You're kidding? :lol

That retrospective was pretty golden. I do feel you're a tad (just a tad) harsh on Corruption. I mean it's still obvious you really like it, but there were still some terrific things about the game that you could've mentioned, whereas you listed every single great thing in the other two Prime games. It seemed like you glossed over them a tad.

But overall it was a ripper of a piece.

Those are up right now at N-Sider's front page and I did the same treatment for Super Metroid and more focused articles for the other games. As for Corruption, I noted that a lot of miscellaneous things I liked didn't get full coverage in the main body of the article. I tried to just cover what I found most important. Mostly though, what the game did well was the same as the previous games and I didn't want to repeat myself I guess.

Boney

Banned
DragonGirl said:
Because I stupidly passed on getting the review copy. No worries though, I'll do a spoilerific in depth feature on it in the future.
So you played yet? Any issues like the G4 review on your part? I know prior to the game, you felt very much like her on how Samus is and how you enjoy the character.

upandaway said:
What I hate is repeating moves, or waiting for vulnerability time, or watching the opening cutscene every time I die. I like bosses more when they're just normal enemies only harder (like in RPGs). I think I'll like SotC because it's more like levels from what I've seen, although there's some repetition too

Wayyy off topic though
Wha about resi 4?

Boney said:
So you played yet? Any issues like the G4 review on your part? I know prior to the game, you felt very much like her on how Samus is and how you enjoy the character.

Wha about resi 4?

Nope, haven't played it yet and I've been avoiding reading reviews. My copy is being shipped from Amazon. The lure of the $20 coupon over rode my better sense.

Nemesis_

MiamiWesker said:

You can't play hard until you finished the game. And I can't be bothered re-running through it right now. If someone doesn't before me, I'll try it out tomorrow and get back to you.

Hopefully it's not the ridiculous hard like Itagaki was in Ninja Gaiden. Game was ruined because of the cheap and unimaginative hard mode.

PS. Theatre Mode ROCKS!

Nemesis556 said:
After finishing Other M, I'm inspired to finish all the games (except Return of Samus, it's awful and I'd rather wait for the remake that's coming to re-experience it.)

1 Hour and 30 Minutes later I'm on my way to Mother Brain in Zero Mission. Don't remember the games being this short, to be honest. =P
You hate Metroid II? I think that's the one Metroid I can play over and over. It's the pinnacle of the series' bent towards isolation. Linear, sure, but in a good way. I love the atmosphere and the game's pacing. I think it's the only Metroid I've beat more than five times (possibly way more as I play it pretty much each year).

Boney

Banned
DragonGirl said:
Nope, haven't played it yet and I've been avoiding reading reviews. My copy is being shipped from Amazon. The lure of the $20 coupon over rode my better sense.
The amazon offer really is a no brainer...

Why can't I have it :mad:

Picking up my Wii with my copy tomorow.

upandaway said:
My selection of games played is very limited
I just.. get onto it boy!

Got my text from Gamestop to pick mine up tomorrow woot! I really hope they don't fuck me on the pre-order bonus like they have with every other one.

_Alkaline_ said:
Ship missiles were barely ever used, which made collecting expansions for them rather bewildering.
Ship missiles kinda were used the same way as the power bomb, except with the restriction of only being able to use them with rooms with open ceilings. I loved carpet bombing arenas of enemies just because I could (although sometimes I needed to). Now the Ship Grapple, that was underused.

cooljeanius said:
Ship missiles kinda were used the same way as the power bomb, except with the restriction of only being able to use them with rooms with open ceilings. I loved carpet bombing arenas of enemies just because I could (although sometimes I needed to). Now the Ship Grapple, that was underused.
There are open rooms where ship missles will clear out every enemy. I think most people just assumed the item was used for specific locations that required opening a pathway.

Why bother when you could just go into hypermode and blast them all. Seriously, they give you the best weapon in the game at the beginning. That's probably my number one beef with Corruption. You're practically a god from the very start.

kiryogi

Banned
What I should have said last night is that it's good to have Samus back in 3rd person. Even tho I did enjoy the Prime games. She's best handled in this manner.

Snaku

Banned
Just checked my copy of Trilogy, and it doesn't say it's limited anywhere on the box. It's just a Collector's Edition.

Nemesis_

For those interested, the weapons and bosses (from
previous games
) that you encounter in Other M.

Weapons

Beam
- Normal Beam
- Ice Beam (Freezes enemies)
- Wave Beam (Goes through clear surfaces)
- Diffusion Beam (Scatter Shots following Impact)
- Plasma Beam (Goes through enemies)
- Grapple Beam

Missile
- Normal Missile
- Super Missile
- Seeker Missile

Bomb
- Morph Ball
- Normal Bomb
- Power Bomb

Suit
- Power Suit
- Varia Suit
- Gravity Add-On

Misc.
- Speed Booster
- Shinespark
- Space Jump (Consecutive Jumps)
- Screw Attack

Interesting things to note: two of these are
picked up from enemies
while two of them are
authorised by Samus herself.

Returning
Bosses

Ridley [Super Metroid]
Nightmare [Metroid Fusion]
Queen Metroid [Metroid II: The Return of Samus]
Phantoon [Super Metroid]

Areas
Research Labs
Cryosphere
Biosphere
Pyrosphere

Nemesis_

balladofwindfishes said:
Nightmare? I thought that was an experimental weapon created a little bit before Fusion?

Not really spoilers, more of my interpretation.

They don't even bat an eyelid to suggest anything, but they subtlely remove his head after defeating him, implying that something or someone has removed his head to take him to be rebuilt in the BSL Labs in Fusion. That's my take on things, anyway.

Nemesis556 said:
Not really spoilers, more of my interpretation.

They don't even bat an eyelid to suggest anything, but they subtlely remove his head after defeating him, implying that something or someone has removed his head to take him to be rebuilt in the BSL Labs in Fusion. That's my take on things, anyway.
His boss music is kind of generic and not nerely as horrific as in Fusion :(. It's one of the creepiest Metroid songs, and they didn't remake it

Is the music in this game orchestrated?

Because Ridley's theme sure sounds it

Nemesis_

Well, I'm off to bed MetroidGAF.

Finished Other M and almost finished Zero Mission in a day. It's been a big one.

I will probably wake up and this thread will be 10 pages longer. :lol

balladofwindfishes said:
His boss music is kind of generic and not nerely as horrific as in Fusion :(. It's one of the creepiest Metroid songs, and they didn't remake it

Yeah. I know what you mean. In fact, I didn't find it menacing at all. That being said, it was definitely more lethal this time around. =P

Kard8p3

To those that have beaten the game does this game have any moments that could be considered creepy? Every Metroid has at least one area that's somewhat creepy so I just want to know if this game continues the tradition.

Nemesis_

Kard8p3 said:
To those that have beaten the game does this game have any moments that could be considered creepy? Every Metroid has at least one area that's somewhat creepy so I just want to know if this game continues the tradition.

The game sets up a few plot points that certainly heightens tension. That being said, there's no Prime-like abandoned labs or anything like that to be honest. Nothing I was genuinely creeped out about.

PS. GaGa's been Metroided! I tried to put an arm cannon on her arm but it wouldn't work. =(

Sadist said:
The wait till Saturday will suck :(
259ec76.gif

Top Bottom