• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Socreges

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
I find Super's wall jumping to be incredibly awkward.

That's something Fusion greatly improved.
Well, it was meant to be difficult. But I personally loved the precision required and that you could wall jump repeatedly on a single wall.

Giolon

Socreges said:
Well, it was meant to be difficult. But I personally loved the precision required and that you could wall jump repeatedly on a single wall.

Man, I remember being stuck in that one shaft with the Ettecoons in SM for hours when I was a kid. I even quit the game and reloaded from an earlier save b/c I thought I was stuck and had gone the wrong way.

I could Wall Jump in SM for hours now (or bomb jump my way out), :lol

Penguin

Mejilan said:
Hmmm? Was there supposed to an Amazon credit and/or a Prime upgrade to free release date shipping? If so, Amazon gave me neither. I'm a Prime member and it hadn't shipped yet by noon, and was slated for delivery NEXT week. Fuck that.

Nassau Street by Fulton.

Yeah, its weird, I er manually upgraded last week because it was telling me wouldn't reach until like Friday, but they sent me an e-mail this morning telling me that my order was automatically upgraded to Day of Delivery.

As for the $20 credit, its an automatic thing, it wouldn't show up on check-out, but if you go to the game's page on Amazon it will tell you about it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Penguin said:
Yeah, its weird, I er manually upgraded last week because it was telling me wouldn't reach until like Friday, but they sent me an e-mail this morning telling me that my order was automatically upgraded to Day of Delivery.

As for the $20 credit, its an automatic thing, it wouldn't show up on check-out, but if you go to the game's page on Amazon it will tell you about it.
Weird on both counts, as Amazon's never failed to email me about both credits and automatic changes to free release date delivery when available. Ah well, their laxity is both our losses, this time.

heringer

strx said:
Expanded on, perhaps, but not improved or refined.
Super Metroid has better pacing, better suit upgrades, and control than the rest of the series. You are always in control of Samus. You aren't ever restricted to context sensitive actions. And you aren't restricted by level design either. Super Metroid offers a freedom that no other Metroid game has had.
Better control? Really? It's very clumsy in some aspects (like holding three buttons to do a simple action) and the controls of the GBA games are much more responsive and tighter.

Level design is still king though.

careksims

I have to agree. Super Metroid is one of those games that stand the test of time.

Amazon's preparing order now. Will keep expectations low. Wonder if I should tally how many times I'll roll my eyes or go "wah?"

Reactions of GaF will be either entertaining. Must get munchies for tomorrow!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
burgerdog said:
Ugh, my amazon order isn't even being readied for shipment. Never had a problem with them in over a year.

Mine either--maybe later, hopefully.

Boney

Banned
mantidor said:
Bogota, Colombia. I've been buying online since the beginning of the year and I never looked back.
How are you managing this? I talked to another chilean gaffer, and he orders to a friend in the States, and he ships it to him.

I'm really lookin into that since it's gonna end up being so much cheaper if I can work it out.

Nessus

balladofwindfishes said:
I find Super's wall jumping to be incredibly awkward.

That's something Fusion greatly improved.

Super's wall jumping felt like something you had to learn and when you finally managed to master it it was one of the most rewarding feelings in a video game

Another incredibly rewarding feeling was mastering Shinespark "recharging" in Zero Mission for that insane puzzle in the ruins. Must have spent like an hour or two trying to get that. Don't think I'd ever be able to do the Secret Message in Fusion, though.

jman2050

MZM/Fusion have better controls. The "hold R to fire missiles" and no run button ensure this by default.

Super however has better platforming physics by several million miles, which is what I think most people are referring to when they say SM has superior "controls"

SM also has far superior level design incidentally.

There's actually a lot of shinesparking for items in Other M but they don't reach the degree of complexity and difficulty as in Fusion and Zero Mission. I was hoping I could charge and save it like previous games. Hopefully whatever they come out next with does implement a little more complex system for shinesparking.

Snaku

Banned
burgerdog said:
Ugh, my amazon order isn't even being readied for shipment. Never had a problem with them in over a year.

Same here, starting to get nervous. If they charge me for release day delivery, and I don't get it until Wednesday, I'll be getting a refund on the shipping one way or another.

Boney

Banned
Didn't know the game has slow motion for a second whenever you get on 1st person. Doesn't that make the whole calibrating the pointer even more insignificant?

Cool impressions on the Nintendo Week and thanks donkey show for the little shinespark tip.

heringer

Boney said:
Didn't know the game has slow motion for a second whenever you get on 1st person. Doesn't that make the whole calibrating the pointer even more insignificant?

Cool impressions on the Nintendo Week and thanks donkey show for the little shinespark tip.
What little shinespark tip? Didn't watch that I guess. :p

Socreges

Banned
Nessus said:
Don't think I'd ever be able to do the Secret Message in Fusion, though.
Wow, I didn't even know that existed. Just saw a video. Insane. I don't completely understand, though. Is the sector 4 navigation room inaccessible at one point deep into the game and that multitude of shinesparks is the only way to access it? Must be it, but I don't remember being blocked off.

Boney

Banned
heringer said:
What little shinespark tip? Didn't watch that I guess. :p
Nono, "donkey show" the user here :lol

tip wasn't the correct word, but eh :p I mean that you need to find items with shinespark, even if it's not overly complex.

Boney said:

No prob! As for the slow-mo, it's really useful when you start fighting the later enemies who are pretty damn fast, zig-zagging all over the place.

Boney

Banned
Socreges said:
Wow, I didn't even know that existed. Just saw a video. Insane. I don't completely understand, though. Is the sector 4 navigation room inaccessible at one point deep into the game and that multitude of shinesparks is the only way to access it? Must be it, but I don't remember being blocked off.
You can also get it with a well placed Ice missile just next to where you get those diffusion missiles :p

It's definately one of the coolest parts about Fusion.

heringer

Boney said:
Nono, "donkey show" the user here :lol

tip wasn't the correct word, but eh :p I mean that you need to find items with shinespark, even if it's not overly complex.
Oh, ok. I thought you were talking about the Nintendo Week video. :p

Yeah, shinespark secrets sounds great.

jman2050

Socreges said:

You end up in the lower area of section 4 and the intended way back to the navigation room involves you getting the diffusion missiles, which is of course commented on. Multiple shinesparks allow you to go through the speed blocks blocking the back way, allowing you to backtrack to the navigation room while skipping the diffusion missiles, which is when the message occurs They don't actually let you out of section 4 until you collect the diffusion missiles, after which the game proceeds as normal.

Socreges

Banned
jman2050 said:
You end up in the lower area of section 4 and the intended way back to the navigation room involves you getting the diffusion missiles, which is of course commented on. Multiple shinesparks allow you to go through the speed blocks blocking the back way, allowing you to backtrack to the navigation room while skipping the diffusion missiles, which is when the message occurs They don't actually let you out of section 4 until you collect the diffusion missiles, after which the game proceeds as normal.
Ahhh I remember now. That's pretty interesting, but I would have never bothered trying to make it out without the diffusion missiles.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Balls! The game's dual-layer, clocking in at just shy of 7.5GBs!
Guess I'll go eat dinner while this installs...

Speevy said:
Super Metroid is one of a handful of SNES games which is playable today if you've never touched it before, and not merely for nostalgia's sake.

It's that good.

This is almost as silly as some of the other stuff said in this thread. Almost

A 'handful' of SNES games? You kidding me? What do you call a 'handful'?

GAF's notion of playable can be kind of disturbing.

Kard8p3

Mejilan said:
Balls! The game's dual-layer, clocking in at just shy of 7.5GBs!
Guess I'll go eat dinner while this installs...

Yep apparently they had to shave seconds of some of the cutscenes to get it on the disk.

Portugeezer

_Alkaline_ said:

Indeed, there are a SHITLOAD you can still play and enjoy today, Super Metroid also happens to be my favourite though. Best game ever.

Okay, so just before I have to go to Sector 1 for the first time, there is still one item that I can't seem to get. In the room with the elevator and all the floors circling around it, at the top there is a room on the right I can't get in. there is an item in that room and there is also something on the wall that I can lock on to, but I cant shoot a missle because it is all behind glass. Do I have to come back later?

Boney

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:

Yeah.. I just rolled my eyes ad carried along.

And Mejilan how can you resist not playing via disc!!

So many of you guys already have it, I feel as if I'm the only one that doesn't have it!!

Doorman

Jeremy Parish said:
Thankfully, Other M does make an effort to advance. Its cutscenes are wretched and invasive, sure, but they're the most involved that have ever come from an internally developed Nintendo game. Other M's plot bits come off with that awkward quality of early PlayStation games, because that's precisely where Nintendo is in terms of narrative design: where everyone else was 15 years ago. Maybe the next time around, they'll catch up with the rest of the industry and create something that isn't quite so dated and cringeworthy.
Thanks to Mr. Parish for perfectly encapsulating my response to people's bitching about the game's lousy story cutscenes. I've mentioned it earlier in the thread, but even if the storyline turns out to be bad, and I can admit if it is, I'm still glad that Nintendo is taking this shot because they haven't done anything like it before. It's the same reason why I still wish they'd put a larger emphasis on fitting some online features into their bigger games--the more you do now, the better you get at smoothing out issues for the next one. I don't want Nintendo to suddenly start turning all of their franchises into Final Fantasy or Metal Gear-styled melodramas, but having one or two series of that style to mix in with the rest doesn't do them harm in their attempt to truly be the "games for everyone" company they like to claim they are.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
antonz said:
I think it is kinda a similar situation to Ocarina of Time. Since it is so overly popular its the "perfect" formula to many. I imagine just like OOT if they constantly redid Super Metroid it would lead to the same lashing Twilight Princess got for being too much OOT.
Twilight Princess is exactly what fans wanted. They wanted a realistic Zelda like OoT. Why did they want it? Because there was something about it that they wanted to see expanded upon. Personally, TP is my favorite game and I want another realistic Zelda, but I would rather it be on Nintendo's next console so the graphics are better.

My point is that there is a reason people think Super Metroid is the best game in the series. The whole point people buy a Metroid game or are interested in a sequel is because they want more of something that was in that game. Yes you make changes where it is necessary, but people follow certain series for a reason.

Penguin

JSnake said:
My Amazon order still isn't even being prepped for shipping yet. I chose release-day delivery. :(

I wouldn't worry about it.

I've had orders arrive to my house before Amazon even told me it shipped, and I assume the same will happen with Other M.

I'm now about 8 hours in, and it's hard finding reasons to continue. I really wanted to like this, but eh. It's so boring :( The story doesn't make any sense, the dialogue and monologues are horrible written, the combat feels wrong, the exploration is almost gone (secrets on the map, wtf), music is not memorable or even present, controls leave a lot to be desired, voice acting is crap, enemies are not varied enough. Ugh.

Oh well.

robotzombie said:
Okay, so just before I have to go to Sector 1 for the first time, there is still one item that I can't seem to get. In the room with the elevator and all the floors circling around it, at the top there is a room on the right I can't get in. there is an item in that room and there is also something on the wall that I can lock on to, but I cant shoot a missle because it is all behind glass. Do I have to come back later?
Don't worry about it, you'll get to come back later.

the exploration is almost gone (secrets on the map, wtf)

Believe it or not, a lot of secrets are not on the map
until you start the post game stuff, but they can still be found beforehand.

Doorman

MadOdorMachine said:
My point is that there is a reason people think Super Metroid is the best game in the series. The whole point people buy a Metroid game or are interested in a sequel is because they want more of something that was in that game. Yes you make changes where it is necessary, but people follow certain series for a reason.
The problem is...everybody has different reasons. Even just off the top of my head I can recall several different examples in the last couple of pages of "that's what Metroid is all about [to me]." For instance the atmosphere and sense of isolation has been mentioned, the varied and detailed environments, the ability to explore and find secret rooms and items, the progression of power-ups that aid in world-traversal, the freedom of design that allows for things like sequence breaking and speed-running, the mystery behind Samus' character and the Chozo and the rest of the sci-fi mythos that's been built around the gameplay...some people focus on one or two of these as the "real" purpose of Metroid and ignore the others, others try to take it all into account, and yet others probably play the games for reasons totally different than the examples I've given here.

Some people liked Prime better than Super Metroid, others didn't like it or the rest of the subseries at all. There are clamors for a remake of Return of Samus, as well as hopes for Metroid Dread or whatever else Metroid 5 could turn out to be, or even people wishing for a Metroid Prime 4. Everybody seems to want something different out of this series, so there will always be supporters and detractors every time a new installment comes out that isn't a carbon copy of something before it. Personally I think that's what makes it such an interesting experimental franchise to watch.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
FoxHimself said:
I'm now about 8 hours in, and it's hard finding reasons to continue. I really wanted to like this, but eh. It's so boring :( The story doesn't make any sense, the dialogue and monologues are horrible written, the combat feels wrong, the exploration is almost gone (secrets on the map, wtf), music is not memorable or even present, controls leave a lot to be desired, voice acting is crap, enemies are not varied enough. Ugh.

Oh well.
That really is inexcusable. At the very least they should give you an option to turn it off. Exploration and atmosphere were the two main reasons I liked Metroid games and it looks like Nintendo has forgotten that. I'm still going to play it because the combat looks cool. It's a shame that that's the main thing you have to look forward to it though because it looks like this really could have eclipsed Super Metroid if the story and exploration hints were taken out.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
MadOdorMachine said:
That really is inexcusable. At the very least they should give you an option to turn it off. Exploration and atmosphere were the two main reasons I liked Metroid games and it looks like Nintendo has forgotten that. I'm still going to play it because the combat looks cool. It's a shame that that's the main thing you have to look forward to it though because it looks like this really could have eclipsed Super Metroid if the story and exploration hints were taken out.

ATTENTION INTERNET.

575576-metroid_map1_super.jpg

PLEASE NOTE DOTS ON MAP.

THANK YOU.

Boney

Banned
FoxHimself said:

Oh well.
asked earlier...

are you using the sense move, overblasts and lethal strikes?

Haven't items been of map for like forever now, i am pretty sure it was present in Super Metroid and the other 2d ones with map.

Edit: pretty much what the guy above said.

In their defense, those were more like hints since it never gave up the exact location.
But I didn't mind the item locations on the map at all.

Top Bottom