• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Socreges

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
Exactly. It doesn't show every item on the map but according to another guy in this topic Other M doesn't show every item either so it would seem there's no real difference.
Awesome, if true. So there's at times no indication as to an item's placement?

Red

I'm wondering if I should go play this on Wii or on Dolphin my first time through. I want those pretty graphics, but I'd hate to run into an issue after putting serious time into the game.

etiolate

Banned
I do think you're getting dangerously close to a blanket thinking that that particular method of telling a story in a game is inherently superior at all times, though

I am not sure I would say superior, but I do find it more appropriate and rewarding within the context of the overall experience. More appropriate and fitting for a videogame.

It's like when other people are looking at videogames and using them as influence when creating a story for other types of media, it isn't the cut-scenes they are looking at.

all fans of the Metroid series have their own notions about what the core principle of the franchise is or should be, and by now it's rather obvious that you place a great deal of importance on the way through which they tell their stories. Not everybody places that much importance on it, though.

But I realize and I want to make sure people realize is that how they tell their story changes how they play. Other M is far more linear and constricting in order to create cut-scene points, and non-linearity is one of the major and most agreed upon elements of what makes a Metroid game.

On a side note, it would have been more clever to present Other M's flashback story of reliving the past and correcting the past in a non-linear design. To make the player go back over areas and find another way through them relates directly to the overall idea behind the story. That is the sort of thinking that takes a traditional element and makes something more out of it.

Instead, TNinja and Sakamoto basically plastered in action and cutscenes because they are both popular, common elements from other games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Razorskin said:
Can anyone explain to me what's wrong with Samus in this game? The troll thread that just got locked had me wondering.

You'll have to play it for yourself, as people are throwing around terms like "sexist" and "daddy complex" like no tomorrow.

Essentially, a bunch of people are shitty their concept of an otherwise mute character turned out to be wrong. Or something.

Socreges said:
Awesome, if true. So there's at times no indication as to an item's placement?
Yup. Like I said before, there are tons of items that don't show up which can all be found with some good searching. After beating the game before post game kicks in, I had a 61% completion rate and I had cleared out all the item indicators on the screen before hand, including some that didn't show up. But
in post game, the map does indicate the rest of the ones you missed which are pretty damn clever hiding spots.

Socreges

Banned
donkey show said:
Yup. Like I said before, there are tons of items that don't show up which can all be found with some good searching. After beating the game before post game kicks in, I had a 61% completion rate and I had cleared out all the item indicators on the screen before hand, including some that didn't show up.
Excellent. BUT...

donkey show said:
But
in post game, the map does indicate the rest of the ones you missed which are pretty damn clever hiding spots.
WHHHHYYYYYYY

Is it possible to find everything before "post game" then?

Socreges said:
Excellent. BUT...

WHHHHYYYYYYY

Is it possible to find everything before "post game" then?
Nope. I'm personally looking forward to beating the game in hard mode though as supposedly there are no powerups or something like that.

Teknoman

In other news...damn the art folio is pretty.

EDIT:

Platinum Games should get with Nintendo for a Captain Falcon futuristic beat em up.

Boney

Banned
Gee thanks!

Not only do I get Ridley stuff spoiled. Now I get a semi confirmation post game items. Not a big deal. I'm just so fucking upset about the Ridley thing.

Gravijah

Boney said:
Gee thanks!

Not only do I get Ridley stuff spoiled. Now I get a semi confirmation post game items. Not a big deal. I'm just so fucking upset about the Ridley thing.

Dude, that's what happens when you make a home in an OT! Somehow I managed to get by with minimal RDR spoilers before the wiki spoiled me...

Socreges

Banned
donkey show said:
@#%^$!

I was really warming to it for a moment there, too. :lol

Related question: Are there entire areas that aren't indicated on the map at all (which in other Metroid games then show up as green spaces) that you can only discover through exploration?

Boney said:
Gee thanks!

space-pirate-ridley-ridley-metroid-prime-samus-aran-pirate-s-demotivational-poster-1234531661.jpg

Related question: Are there entire areas that aren't indicated on the map at all (which in other Metroid games then show up as green spaces) that you can only discover through exploration?

None that I remember. If anything... it's the shinesparking to different "hidden areas" that kinda takes its place.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
Dude, that's what happens when you make a home in an OT! Somehow I managed to get by with minimal RDR spoilers before the wiki spoiled me...
Not my fault I haven't been so excited about a game since Brawl. (and not having a job)

donkey show said:
:lol

This made me feel so much better.

Socreges

Banned
Boney said:
Gee thanks!

I honestly forgot how hardcore some are with minor spoilers. I'll go tag it.

Teknoman said:
In other news...damn the art folio is pretty.

It better be. It's the only reason I ordered it from Gamestop. As a fan of the series I figured getting a nice collectible like this would be cooler than $20 gift vouchers, especially considering that it was at no extra charge.

Socreges

Banned
donkey show said:
None that I remember. If anything... it's the shinesparking to different "hidden areas" that kinda takes its place.
Then the people saying it's "just like Super Metroid and Fusion" don't have a leg to stand on.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Boney said:
Gee thanks!

I only know Ridley is in the game from the first trailer. I had another boss fight spoiled that I wish could have been a surprise :(.

Kard8p3

brandonh83 said:
It better be. It's the only reason I ordered it from Gamestop. As a fan of the series I figured getting a nice collectible like this would be cooler than $20 gift vouchers, especially considering that it was at no extra charge.

Did you end up beating Fusion?

Boney

Banned
Socreges said:
Then the people saying it's "just like Super Metroid and Fusion" don't have a leg to stand on.
Err I've known this all along. Shinespark puzzles and design like Zero Mision was impossible to translate to 3d.

Kard8p3

Socreges said:

Yeah from what I understand it's the more linear style of fusion without the unmarked areas.

Socreges

Banned
Boney said:
Err I've known this all along. Shinespark puzzles and design like Zero Mision was impossible to translate to 3d.
Err follow the conversation. That's not what we're talking about.

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah from what I understand it's the more linear style of fusion without the unmarked areas.
Thankfully it does have unmarked items... though that's a bit gimped since they're later revealed.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
OH GOD SPOILERS RIDLEY IS IN THIS GAME?
That's not what I mean. (although I completely forgot about Ridley reveal in the first trailer a few weeks ago :p)

Real spoilers

Apparently Samus breaks into tears when she meets Ridley in the station for whatever reason

Poyunch

Boney said:
That's not what I mean. (although I completely forgot about Ridley reveal in the first trailer a few weeks ago :p)

Real spoilers

Apparently Samus breaks into tears when she meets Ridley in the station for whatever reason
Personally I rather be ready for those spoilers than experience it firsthand
and facepalming at it.

Boney

Banned
Socreges said:
Err follow the conversation. That's not what we're talking about.
Err yeah brain farted, didn't click the spoiler so I assumed wrongly. Yeah it's a bummer these don't exist. They're my favourite parts of Fusion.

Top Bottom