• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Kard8p3

PounchEnvy said:
Personally I rather be ready for those spoilers than experience it firsthand
and facepalming at it.

I saw the scene and while she's definitely shocked and freaked out I don't ever remember seeing samus burst into tears.

Nemesis_

Boney said:
That's not what I mean. (although I completely forgot about Ridley reveal in the first trailer a few weeks ago :p)

Real spoilers

Apparently Samus breaks into tears when she meets Ridley in the station for whatever reason

This doesn't really happen at all. =/

Doorman

etiolate said:
Other M is far more linear and constricting in order to create cut-scene points, and non-linearity is one of the major and most agreed upon elements of what makes a Metroid game.
Would it kill you to hear me say that I'm someone that's never particularly felt strongly about the nonlinearity of Metroid games...? :D I've already admitted to being the sort of fan of this franchise that most other fans dislike, so perhaps that has more to do with why I'm presenting my points from where they are.

Instead, TNinja and Sakamoto basically plastered in action and cutscenes because they are both popular, common elements from other games.
Potentially true, though you are making assumptions about some of the intent behind the gameplay and story decisions that were made. It isn't impossible that this is just how Sakamoto felt it would be best to both translate the 2-D style of Metroid into a third person 3-D experience, as well as give players a direct insight into Samus' character, with cutscenes and narration being the easiest ways of doing so. While I'm on this point, though, I will admit that I'm also of the opinion that Sakamoto made some of these choices, not just about the way the story is presented but also Samus' character in and of itself, with the thought of making her a more popular and sympathetic character to the Japanese audience, which typically hasn't held Metroid up to the levels of popularity the series sees elsewhere. He made it a point that improving accessibility was a major focus for him during development.

Incidentally, it's extremely hard to get too heated or take things too seriously when this

is what I have to debate against. I always have liked those damn disco cats...

Boney

Banned
Really? That's what a gaffer said without any spoiler marks. Think it was etiolate, but I'm not sure.

Oh man I'm a happy man then.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oh boy.
I definitely get the feeling that this will not end up my favorite Metroid game.
I'm only an hour in, but so far the cutscenes, VA (Samus is decent, some third party NPCs are awful), and graphics have pleasantly surprised me. At least compared to my earlier exposure/expectations. I kind of dig the revisiting of past events, even if the delivery is flawed and the cutscenes occasionally too numerous/lengthy. Not sure how I like this at least partially following up Super Metroid and seemingly both ignoring and aping Fusion, at its convenience.

The gameplay, most importantly, has decidedly not pleased me.

The NES style sideways remote controls that they went with are such an obviously stupid idea, I can't believe that they didn't at least ALLOW us another option. The first person aiming mechanic is clunkier than it should be (MP3/MPT); invisible walls have no place in a Metroid game; and if you're going to fucking make only certain surfaces wall-jump-able, at least have the fucking decency to mark them, like the Prime games did. Also, what the fuck were they thinking with the strange tank controls for those weird and occasionally random over-the-shoulder third person rooms? It only excels at driving home how awful the d-pad controls are. Though the terrible 8-direction-only digital running/navigating comes up as a close second.

*sigh*

At least the combat against the more complicated creatures is surprisingly great, and the general ambiance and mood are satisfying.

Here's hoping that the game will grow on me tomorrow.
Metroid is like Zelda, in that I'm not sure I could bear flat-out not liking an iteration.

etiolate

Banned
Doorman:

Well that does make you different for a Metroid fan.

I do think many decisions were made to make Metroid more Japanese friendly. Was it worth it? Don't know.

I don't think any of the changes attempted in Prime 2 or 3 to make the game more Halo-fan friendly were worth it at all.

Teknoman

Mejilan said:
Oh boy.
I definitely get the feeling that this will not end up my favorite Metroid game.
I'm only an hour in, but so far the cutscenes, VA (Samus is decent, some third party NPCs are awful), and graphics have pleasantly surprised me. At least compared to my earlier exposure/expectations. I kind of dig the revisiting of past events, even if the delivery is flawed and the cutscenes occasionally too numerous/lengthy. Not sure how I like this at least partially following up Super Metroid and seemingly both ignoring and aping Fusion, at its convenience.

The gameplay, most importantly, has decidedly not pleased me.

The NES style sideways remote controls that they went with are such an obviously stupid idea, I can't believe that they didn't at least ALLOW us another option. The first person aiming mechanic is clunkier than it should be (MP3/MPT); invisible walls have no place in a Metroid game; and if you're going to fucking make only certain surfaces wall-jump-able, at least have the fucking decency to mark them, like the Prime games did. Also, what the fuck were they thinking with the strange tank controls for those weird and occasionally random over-the-shoulder third person rooms? It only excels at driving home how awful the d-pad controls are. Though the terrible 8-direction-only digital running/navigating comes up as a close second.

*sigh*

At least the combat against the more complicated creatures is surprisingly great, and the general ambiance and mood are satisfying.

Here's hoping that the game will grow on me tomorrow.
Metroid is like Zelda, in that I'm not sure I could bear flat-out not liking an iteration.

How is it clunky when switching between viewpoints? Slow transition?

Also about the wall jumping, is it only possible in places that are really close together?

Mejilan

Teknoman said:
How is it clunky when switching between viewpoints? Slow transition?

Also about the wall jumping, is it only possible in places that are really close together?

The transition can be annoying, but the worst part of it is that screen won't scroll unless you hold down the B button. Should have a hitbox beyond which the screen will auto-scroll, leaving the B button JUST for locking on. As it is now, the B button is weirdly dual-purpose, doubling both as a lock on as well as a screen scroll unlock toggle, depending on circumstance.

Wall-jumping isn't opened up JUST in really obvious locations. There are the occasional locations where it's available but worthless. It's just that there's no real visual indicator as to when you can use it (beyond the obvious architecture), and is otherwise broken by the many invisible walls.

Red

Mejilan said:
The transition can be annoying, but the worst part of it is that screen won't scroll unless you hold down the B button. Should have a hitbox beyond which the screen will auto-scroll, leaving the B button JUST for locking on. As it is now, the B button is weirdly dual-purpose, doubling both as a lock on as well as a screen scroll unlock toggle, depending on circumstance.

Wall-jumping isn't opened up JUST in really obvious locations. There are the occasional locations where it's available but worthless. It's just that there's no real visual indicator as to when you can use it (beyond the obvious architecture), and is otherwise broken by the many invisible walls.
Looks like invisible walls will continue to be my nemesis in games.

My copy hasn't shipped yet. I expect it to make it here regardless, I just hope it doesn't arrive too late. I only have two classes tomorrow and I was hoping to come straight home to play.

mantidor

Boney said:
How are you managing this? I talked to another chilean gaffer, and he orders to a friend in the States, and he ships it to him.

I'm really lookin into that since it's gonna end up being so much cheaper if I can work it out.

Sorry for the late response. Well Visa Colombia has some sort of deal with a company called ultrabox, Visa pays you the annual fee (like $20) and they open a p.o. box in miami. You then manage an account in which they let you know when a package arrives. You can then tell them to send the items immediately or wait. They charge you all the taxes and shipping in one bill and put it to your credit card as well. This is specially great for books because books don't pay taxes here. I don't know if there's something similar in Chile, with Visa or any other credit company. I think it would be even cheaper if you have a friend, ultrabox shipping isn't exactly cheap, although it arrives quickly, but with a friend you are more free to chose the shipping method.

And talking about that, Amazon just told me my order was shipped! estimated delivery time is september 1! :O I really didn't expect it to get it that fast with the free shipping, it usually takes a week. Let's hope it actually arrives on time.

Poyunch

_Alkaline_ said:
Is there an image more hilarious, creepy and awesome at the same time?
I don't even understand it. He's so sadistic in the manga why would he show that face even though he never really shows remorse. Not that I don't like it. It is really creepy and hilarious and that's why I like it.

Teknoman

_Alkaline_ said:
Is there an image more hilarious, creepy and awesome at the same time?

Seriously, thoughtful Ridley is creepier than anything in the Metroid universe...well aside from Nightmare and Metroid Prime first form's face.

PounchEnvy said:
I don't even understand it. He's so sadistic in the manga why would he show that face even though he never really shows remorse. Not that I don't like it. It is really creepy and hilarious and that's why I like it.

Psychotic/ unpredictable?

Doorman

etiolate said:
I do think many decisions were made to make Metroid more Japanese friendly. Was it worth it? Don't know.

I don't think any of the changes attempted in Prime 2 or 3 to make the game more Halo-fan friendly were worth it at all.
"Worth it," to Nintendo, means increased sales of Other M in Japan over previous Metroids, the Primes in particular, and some increased interest in the franchise there.

So...some people don't like that this game is going more mainstream-Japan-friendly, while others didn't like that some of the Prime subseries (3 in particular) took steps to make it more mainstream-America-friendly. I think that Metroid will, literally, forever be a franchise that cannot please its fanbase, possibly moreso than any other major franchise I can think of.

Teknoman said:
I can see why people would have to get used to the first person aiming then.
I never really had too much of an issue with the FPS controls until multiple enemies start swarming the screen and locking on the exact target you want became an issue. Aside from that, it's really been point, shoot, bang, dead.

Teknoman said:
Seriously, thoughtful Ridley is creepier than anything in the Metroid universe...well aside from Nightmare and Metroid Prime first form's face.
space-pirate-ridley-ridley-metroid-prime-samus-aran-pirate-s-demotivational-poster-1234531661.jpg

Mejilan

Teknoman said:
I can see why people would have to get used to the first person aiming then.

It's not bad. It's just markedly worse than what we've come to expect from the system or the franchise. Seems like it'll be a running theme with the game.

Going to bed now, all dejected-like.

Boney

Banned
mantidor said:
Sorry for the late response. Well Visa Colombia has some sort of deal with a company called ultrabox, Visa pays you the annual fee (like $20) and they open a p.o. box in miami. You then manage an account in which they let you know when a package arrives. You can then tell them to send the items immediately or wait. They charge you all the taxes and shipping in one bill and put it to your credit card as well. This is specially great for books because books don't pay taxes here. I don't know if there's something similar in Chile, with Visa or any other credit company. I think it would be even cheaper if you have a friend, ultrabox shipping isn't exactly cheap, although it arrives quickly, but with a friend you are more free to chose the shipping method.

And talking about that, Amazon just told me my order was shipped! estimated delivery time is september 1! :O I really didn't expect it to get it that fast with the free shipping, it usually takes a week. Let's hope it actually arrives on time.
Hmm will look into this.

So apparently my dedicated gaming store won't get this tomorow :(
A shame because other stores will be carrying it, but for like 15 bucks more.

Me is so sad... me is so very sad...

So I still can't get a read on if this is amazing or terrible.

People I trust tend to think it's great (Chris Kohler, Brad Shoemaker, etc.) The GAF impressions have been bad.

It's confusing. Maybe this is a game that benefits from no expectations - not necessarily low ones, but none whatsoever.

ShockingAlberto said:

People I trust tend to think it's great (Chris Kohler, Brad Shoemaker, etc.) The GAF impressions have been bad.

It's confusing. Maybe this is a game that benefits from no expectations - not necessarily low ones, but none whatsoever.
The game can be good and still be underwhelming for a Metroid game. I highly regard this franchise.

Gravijah

ShockingAlberto said:

I literally have none. I've let most of the impressions from other GAFfers go right through me. Gonna pick this up and have whatever fun I have with it.

That's how I approach all but a few games these days, and it really works out for the better. No mindless watching of previews, no eating up every single morsel of detail. Just renting or buying games and playing them.

Teknoman

Fimbulvetr said:
SA-X is angry with you.

Completely slipped my mind. Shes up there with the best too.

Also all GAF impressions havent been bad. Its been about an even mix, slightly leaning to more positive than negative.

etiolate

Banned
Doorman said:
"Worth it," to Nintendo, means increased sales of Other M in Japan over previous Metroids, the Primes in particular, and some increased interest in the franchise there.

So...some people don't like that this game is going more mainstream-Japan-friendly, while others didn't like that some of the Prime subseries (3 in particular) took steps to make it more mainstream-America-friendly. I think that Metroid will, literally, forever be a franchise that cannot please its fanbase, possibly moreso than any other major franchise I can think of.

I think that it is a game series that won't attract the masses in the same way a Zelda, Mario or Halo do. Trying to make it appealing to that crowd will only manage to get a small percentage of outsiders to the fanbase while turning off a larger percentage of the established userbase. It's not like Prime 3 eventually won over the Halo crowd.

Not all great film or TV has mass appeal. Maybe Metroid is just the gaming equivalent of critically acclaimed but never, ever mass market accepted television.

As an action game, what makes it stand out? Really? People have said it's tame for Team Ninja, and others say its off the mark for Metroid.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
ShockingAlberto said:

The general consensus I get is that the gameplay is good, but has some room for improvement and the story while there and in step with Metroid lore is presented in a very unfavorable manner.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
I think that it is a game series that won't attract the masses in the same way a Zelda, Mario or Halo do. Trying to make it appealing to that crowd will only manage to get a small percentage of outsiders to the fanbase while turning off a larger percentage of the established userbase. It's not like Prime 3 eventually won over the Halo crowd.

Not all great film or TV has mass appeal. Maybe Metroid is just the gaming equivalent of critically acclaimed but never, ever mass market accepted television.

As an action game, what makes it stand out? Really? People have said it's tame for Team Ninja, and others say its off the mark for Metroid.
The Wii lacks quality action games? I mean outside of No More Heroes that is. ;)

I've put around 2-3 hours into the game. It definitely feels like a sequel to Fusion, which makes sense, considering that was the last 'mainline' entry into the series.

I really feel like the controls have evolved, but they're definitely a little rough on the edges, IMO. The main issue I've had is the precision jumps that must be made during battle--it's quite hard to judge jumps while in a 3D perspective. Games like SMG and SMS were obviously made with this in mind (go back and play SM64 and tell me you don't want to be able to spin). I may need to just spend a bit more time playing to get used to the controls, as this game is really unique, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Quite the evolution of the Metroid formula.

With these things in mind (along with the, imo, unneeded, overdramatic cutscenes/story) I can definitely understand the love/hate thing that's going on with the press for this game.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Looks like my Amazon order isn't shipping until September 7 so I'm off to Walmart to get it there in a few minutes. Whenever I get the game in from Amazon I'll return it to Walmart for a refund. I thought I could wait to play this, but I'm too excited! This is the first traditional Metroid game to hit a console since 1994 one SNES!

PounchEnvy said:
The Wii lacks quality action games? I mean outside of No More Heroes that is. ;)
Sin & Punishment disagrees.

scitek

Doorman said:

I'm so glad I'm a member of the Metroid fanbase, it's possibly my favorite franchise, and I like every game I've played. The only games I haven't played are the original NES game and Metroid II.

Gravijah said:
I literally have none. I've let most of the impressions from other GAFfers go right through me. Gonna pick this up and have whatever fun I have with it.

That's how I approach all but a few games these days, and it really works out for the better. No mindless watching of previews, no eating up every single morsel of detail. Just renting or buying games and playing them.

I was on media blackout for this game since its unveiling at E3 2009. Hell, I was at E3 this year, and I avoided it at all costs. I came away having had a lot of fun with the game and have already a) started the post-game to collect 100% of the items with my first save file, AND b) started a new file to clear the game in a quicker manner. You can skip all cutscenes on a new file after having beaten it once.

Snaku

Banned
scitek said:
I'm so glad I'm a member of the Metroid fanbase, it's possibly my favorite franchise, and I like every game I've played. The only games I haven't played are the original NES game and Metroid II.

Fix this asap.

ShockingAlberto said:

From what I can tell, it's a great game unless you're a rabid Metroid fan that feel it should only be a certain way.
Kind of like Zelda fans.

antonz

scitek said:
Costco broke the street date.
Doesnt fully explain it though. Costcos by me said hell no on releasing it. It was good timing though moment it leaked online all these stores suddenly broke street date.

Top Bottom