• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

scitek

antonz said:
Doesnt fully explain it though. Costcos by me said hell no on releasing it. It was good timing though moment it leaked online all these stores suddenly broke street date.

Huh? Costco's the only store I've seen mentioned. It's where I got mine. I rushed out to check once someone said something and they had it out already.

Shin Johnpv said:
I want to say YES. I'm pretty sure you can't on the DS, but on the GBA I believe so.
Does the SP play GB games, too?

Teknoman said:
Seriously, thoughtful Ridley is creepier than anything in the Metroid universe...well aside from Nightmare and Metroid Prime first form's face.

draygon.jpg

scitek said:
Does the SP play GB games, too?
yes.

marathonfool said:
The game can be good and still be underwhelming for a Metroid game. I highly regard this franchise.
That's pretty much my thoughts after beating it. On it's own merits, its an awesome game and definitely falls within the Metroid lineage. Yet in comparison to other Metroids, that's where it's weakest.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
donkey show said:
That's pretty much my thoughts after beating it. On it's own merits, its an awesome game and definitely falls within the Metroid lineage. Yet in comparison to other Metroids, that's where it's weakest.

I agree with this. I wouldn't call it "awesome" though. Just "good."

Not $50 worth of "good," though. Sorta regretting not waiting for the price drop. But much like the Final Fantasy series, I am forever doomed buy every new Metroid game day 1 for full price.

Lost Fragment said:
I agree with this. I wouldn't call it "awesome" though. Just "good."

Not $50 worth of "good," though. Sorta regretting not waiting for the price drop. But much like the Final Fantasy series, I am forever doomed buy every new Metroid game day 1 for full price.
I totally understand. I guess what makes it awesome for me is the combat. I've played all the Metroids under the sun, but I really clicked with the nuances of this one. Granted it can seem pretty simple, I really appreciated Team Ninja bringing Samus' into this particular light because it made sense in my mind that she'd be able to do all these things with her power suit. It made me feel like a badass finishing off aliens the way I envisioned. I'd love to see things like Sense move and Lethal Strikes/Overblast show up in future iterations combined with Fusion/Zero Mission controls. Overall it was a very simplified Metroid experience that left me wanting more, in a good way. At the same time, I completely understand the frustrations of so many current and future players because of the changes. I still appreciate Other M for what it was trying to do, granted with lulzy moments in between.

I think this game could've been much better if they didn't go back to the "research facility" scenario, but I'm looking forward to the added challenge of Hard Mode soon. :D

I guess I wouldn't be really far off in calling it Metroid Gaiden. =P

Teknoman said:
I wonder...hard mode doesnt introduce any new moves for enemies right?
That I have yet to experience, but I'll let you know for sure. It'd be cool if they changed it up similar to how Master Ninja difficulty is like in Ninja Gaiden. I'm planning on recording a full hard mode run in a bit.

Calints Neos said:
I hope the controls aren't too complex.

This will be the first Metroid game I buy:D
To be honest, I think they oversimplified them, but I enjoy the end result. It'd be interesting to hear what your thoughts on the game is.

JohngPR said:
I finally got my release day shipped notification from Amazon around 12:30am. Weird. Hopefully I actually get it tomorrow.
You'll get it tomorrow. This happens now and then with Amazon and release day shipping. It happened to me with SSFIV and FFXIII.

Socreges

Banned
Mejilan's impressions don't please me. He's always been pretty easy to please when it comes to Nintendo games, IIRC. (no offense, Mejilan. you're just not a, er, AniHawk-type)

The wall jumping sounds DERP. Gah.

Doorman said:
I will admit that I'm also of the opinion that Sakamoto made some of these choices, not just about the way the story is presented but also Samus' character in and of itself, with the thought of making her a more popular and sympathetic character to the Japanese audience, which typically hasn't held Metroid up to the levels of popularity the series sees elsewhere. He made it a point that improving accessibility was a major focus for him during development.
Yep. There was also probably an attraction to bring Metroid into the next generation properly which would mean cinematics and the like. I think it's all pretty unfortunate, though, personally. I'm all for high-level presentation, VA, and such in Metroid games, but there are certain things that are better left unchanged, I think.

I caved and did a Gamestop preorder because I realized I couldn't wait for Amazon's free shipping on a Metroid game. Not only because I can't wait to play the game, but because I don't know if I would be able to avoid this thread in the meantime. :lol

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I caved and did a Gamestop preorder because I realized I couldn't wait for Amazon's free shipping on a Metroid game. Not only because I can't wait to play the game, but because I don't know if I would be able to avoid this thread in the meantime. :lol
LOL, you shoulda went with Wal-Mart since some of them are having a midnight release tonight.

Osuwari

donkey show said:
That I have yet to experience, but I'll let you know for sure. It'd be cool if they changed it up similar to how Master Ninja difficulty is like in Ninja Gaiden. I'm planning on recording a full hard mode run in a bit.

i just beat the game in hard mode.
unlike normal, it doesn't save after beating the game so you can't do the escape sequence. my final save before the last boss is at 3 hours 57 minutes.
also, there's no pickups in the game so you have to make it through with 99 HP and 10 missiles. the game is less forgiving too because you don't stop at 1 HP like in normal when you get hit by an attack that would kill you.
there's no new moves, enemies or unlockables by playing hard mode though so it is mostly a challenge for hardcore gamers.

Osuwari said:
unlike normal, it doesn't save after beating the game so you can't do the escape sequence. my final save before the last boss is at 3 hours 57 minutes.
also, there's no pickups in the game so you have to make it through with 99 HP and 10 missiles. the game is less forgiving too because you don't stop at 1 HP like in normal when you get hit by an attack that would kill you.
there's no new moves, enemies or unlockables by playing hard mode though so it is mostly a challenge for hardcore gamers.

So other than hard mode(which doesn't count), this is the ONLY metroid game that doesn't have a bonus for finishing 100%?
Very weak.

Thoraxes

Crunched said:
Your avatar perfectly illustrates how I feel every time I check my amazon account to see it hasn't shipped yet.

:lol

Well now, after checking it just 20 minutes ago, I have tracking that it's shipped from Kansas at 5:30ish PM today by air-express mail, and that it'll be here sometime tomorrow.

Guess they just took a while to get the tracking numbers up is all.

Osuwari

strx said:
So other than hard mode(which doesn't count), this is the ONLY metroid game that doesn't have a bonus for finishing 100%?
Very weak.

yeah. that's it. no special ending or extra cutscene like the prime series.

this is a lot like the 2D games. Fusion and ZM only have different pictures as 100% prizes and the others don't even give you anything for 100%.

Well, Super does say what percentage of items you got at the end, which is more than the first two. I was actually pretty pissed that the Prime games did't have different endings based on how fast you completed the game, but maybe I'm alone on that.

andymcc

Banned
i've played for about an hour or so and, while i'll agree the cutscenes are a little much, the combat and mechanics are pretty fucking fun. if this game didn't have the immeasurable weight that a metroid title carries with it, i think people would be far less critical.

Socreges

Banned
Osuwari said:
also, there's no pickups in the [hard mode] so you have to make it through with 99 HP and 10 missiles. the game is less forgiving too because you don't stop at 1 HP like in normal when you get hit by an attack that would kill you.
....wha? So it basically becomes an action game. Do they not understand that I actually enjoy the exploration and uncovering involved in acquiring items? Surely there are other ways to make it more challenging. They could have left the upgrades in and just given bonuses for completing the game in under 5, in under 2 hours, etc. You'd get people skipping most upgrades anyway then and a much more complex challenge.

I just got my shipping confirmation an hour ago. This has never happened to me before with Amazon. I dont see how it will get from Kansas to me by 7pm today.

vazel

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
I just got my shipping confirmation an hour ago. This has never happened to me before with Amazon. I dont see how it will get from Kansas to me by 7pm today.
If it's just one state over it can happen. I've gotten packages from Nevada to me in California the next day. If you don't get the package just send off an email they have the best customer service of any company I've tried.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
perfectchaos007 said:
what the fuck is X-play smoking? First that slut morgan webb trashes Mario Galaxy for being kiddy, now this!? X-play just lost all their credibility to me
hmm.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
perfectchaos007 said:
what the fuck is X-play smoking? First that slut morgan webb trashes Mario Galaxy for being kiddy, now this!? X-play just lost all their credibility to me

Later dude.

Rez said:

I mean she says this game is an insult to metroid fans. The same girl who says Mario Galaxy is too kiddy. How can I take his woman seriously?

Snuggler said:
Later dude.
before I get banned just know that I really didn't mean "slut" as a term for her being permiscuous, just as a term for being dumb and it slipped out. my appologies.

Kard8p3

strx said:
Well back then the bonuses were awarded by completion time. 1-3 had a little bonus. This has no ending bonus. Don't count the gallery.

I wouldn't consider seeing samus without her suit in super a bonus either. At least getting 100% on Other M gets you Hard mode, theater mode, and a gallery.

Kevtones

E-White Knights are out in full-force tonight and they're backseat modding... Hurrah.

I mean fuck, Jeff Gertsmann is a slutty slutmanwhore but at least he gave this game a legit score.

Kard8p3

I Push Fat Kids said:
E-White Knights are out in full-force tonight and they're backseat modding... Hurrah.

I mean fuck, Jeff Gertsmann is a slutty slutmanwhore but at least he gave this game a legit score.

I could have sworn that brad did the review.

perfectchaos007 said:
I mean she says this game is an insult to metroid fans. The same girl who says Mario Galaxy is too kiddy. How can I take his woman seriously?

before I get banned just know that I really didn't mean "slut" as a term for her being permiscuous, just as a term for being dumb and it slipped out. my appologies.
Morgan Webb and Abbie Heppe are not the same person.

I for one found the G4 review stellar. I only wish they had addressed the terrible racism in the game. Anthony Higgs, an African-Galactic-Federationian, takes orders from Adam Malkovich, a Caucasian-Galactic-Federationian. I think the implications are fairly obvious and the game really should have been docked for that kind of poor social message.

Osuwari

Kard8p3 said:
I wouldn't consider seeing samus without her suit in super a bonus either. At least getting 100% on Other M gets you Hard mode, theater mode, and a gallery.

theater and gallery are unlocked by just beating the game.

Osuwari

Segata Sanshiro said:

I for one found the G4 review stellar. I only wish they had addressed the terrible racism in the game. Anthony Higgs, an African-Galactic-Federationian, takes orders from Adam Malkovich, a Caucasian-Galactic-Federationian. I think the implications are fairly obvious and the game really should have been docked for that kind of poor social message.

isolation isn't that bad after all heh.

Kard8p3 said:
Oh ok so it's just hard mode then?

yeah

andymcc

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

:lol

Top Bottom