• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah I actually don't have any qualms with the story, outside of a few cheesy lines
("confession time," "the Deleter")
and a few GAPING plot holes (though some are so obvious that it makes me think they might've been left that way on purpose to set up a sequel). I don't think the story was amazing or anything, but I enjoyed it.

My disappointment with the game is a combination of a lot of gameplay/atmosphere related things I'm too lazy to go into a ton of detail about right now. But basically:

-The game is painfully linear.
-The way you gain new weapons and such takes the sense of excitement out of what exploration there actually is.
-The new music is forgettable except for one particular boss theme.
-Auto-aim makes combat really boring a lot of the time.
-Way too easy to dodge shit.
-Shitty controls in first person

Overall, though, it's a good game and I had fun with it. But as a Metroid game, it sucks. Definitely my least favorite Metroid game, and I've played all of them (except pinball I guess, heh).

MiniDitka

Looks like my game is going in the wrong direction :lol Left Louisville ,KY on its way to Illinois but is currently in Columbus,OH. Don't like that route one bit!

Cygnus X-1

robor said:
There isn't one....yet. Those are the members involved, including Takehiko Hosokawa who was a course designer in previous Metroid games.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is complaining about the artistic direction of the game. The problem is the storyline. The script. And this was made by that dude from D-Rockets (and approved by Sakamoto...sigh)

The second major problem, the gameplay, has been developed by Team Ninja, but it was an (unhappy) idea of Sakamoto.

But I would be glad hearing some more informations coming from that japanese Iwata ask, if you're willingly to do so. For example: what were the roles of the SPD staff? How many of them worked on the game? Which ideas were they responsible of?

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah I actually don't have any qualms with the story, outside of a few cheesy lines
("confession time," "the Deleter")
and a few GAPING plot holes (though some are so obvious that it makes me think they might've been left that way on purpose to set up a sequel). I don't think the story was amazing or anything, but I enjoyed it.

My disappointment with the game is a combination of a lot of gameplay/atmosphere related things I'm too lazy to go into a ton of detail about right now. But basically:

-The game is painfully linear.
-The way you gain new weapons and such takes the sense of excitement out of what exploration there actually is.
-The new music is forgettable except for one particular boss theme.
-Auto-aim makes combat really boring a lot of the time.
-Way too easy to dodge shit.
-Shitty controls in first person

Overall, though, it's a good game and I had fun with it. But as a Metroid game, it sucks. Definitely my least favorite Metroid game, and I've played all of them (except pinball I guess, heh).

Thanks for your feedback.

Amir0x

Banned
Kaijima said:
I have to admit, some of the style of fan reaction bothers me for what seems like a lack of perspective. Had this game been called Metroid 5 or Metroid Prime 4, had it been kept mysterious what the style of the game was like up until release with typical Nintendo secrecy, I could understand the shock, confusion, and in some cases, sense of betrayal.

But it isn't Metroid 5 or Prime IV. It was never advertised as anything but an alternate take on Metroid, a side game, and the fact that Team Ninja was developing it was emphasized because it was going to be different. Everything focused on the fact that it was more action oriented (and yes, there were indications it was linear) and story oriented. People had a year to get over the fact that Samus was going to be talking and the entire premise of the game was to expand Metroid from this perception of a minimal-story silent/lonely/oppressive exploration game to something else.

A lot of how you take something depends on your expectations going into it; you can be pleasantly surprised or bitterly disappointed depending entirely on those expectations when the product at hand remains exactly the same.

I'm having trouble reconciling that the people who seem as if they should have known better - the professed big time Metroid fans - are often coming across as if they were pinning their hopes on this being 2D Metroid 5 for a console. And hugely disappointed that Samus Aran talks and stuff and acts like a much more complex character even if that conflicts with fan perceptions of what Metroid "should" be.

The reality is, however, that in this case the distinction between "side game" and "main game" is pretty pointless - we only get Metroid games of this type rarely, if ever, and it still aspires to check off the standard Metroid list of features. It plays like a Metroid game, just a really streamlined one with more cutscenes and less exploration and with an adopted feature from Metroid Prime. Hell, even the story is a continuation of the main Metroid games.

So if it's still trying to do these things that are in any main Metroid game, but it is doing some of them rather poorly, I don't think anyone should have trouble reconciling it. It's a Metroid game. It's a Metroid game that tries to implement new ideas into the formula, and those new ideas are not be taken well by some people.

And even further, the idea that this is somehow limited to fan overreaction, is also false. There are things people are complaining about that would be bad in any game, Metroid or not (like the switching between first person for missile shooting) and the shit cutscenes.

I think sure it's hard to disconnect this game from the other Metroid games because you can't. It IS a new Metroid game. Even the Prime games, which were far more radically different than this one, were compared to the classic Metroid titles. In my view, those changes were mostly great and the games itself were amazing.

So it's not like Metroid fans are ALL adverse to change. It just depends on the type of change. The issue here is if the changes keep true to the spirit of Metroid (they don't), or if in the cases they don't it's because it's meant to make a better game (it doesn't).

Amir0x said:
The reality is, however, that in this case the distinction between "side game" and "main game" is pretty pointless - we only get Metroid games of this type rarely, if ever, and it still aspires to check off the standard Metroid list of features. It plays like a Metroid game, just a really streamlined one with more cutscenes and less exploration and with an adopted feature from Metroid Prime. Hell, even the story is a continuation of the main Metroid games.

So if it's still trying to do these things that are in any main Metroid game, but it is doing some of them rather poorly, I don't think anyone should have trouble reconciling it. It's a Metroid game. It's a Metroid game that tries to implement new ideas into the formula, and those new ideas are not be taken well by some people.

And even further, the idea that this is somehow limited to fan overreaction, is also false. There are things people are complaining about that would be bad in any game, Metroid or not (like the switching between first person for missile shooting) and the shit cutscenes.

I think sure it's hard to disconnect this game from the other Metroid games because you can't. It IS a new Metroid game. Even the Prime games, which were far more radically different than this one, were compared to the classic Metroid titles. In my view, those changes were mostly great and the games itself were amazing.

So it's not like Metroid fans are ALL adverse to change. It just depends on the type of change. The issue here is if the changes keep true to the spirit of Metroid (they don't), or if in the cases they don't it's because it's meant to make a better game (it doesn't).
Not much at all to disagree with.

Still want to play it though to see if I think the changes are good or bad.

I knew the story was gonna suck... but I honestly never doubted that for an instance.:lol

I still really like the concept of NES game in new visual stylings.

kiryogi

Banned
Honestly, I wouldn't mind and would actually love them to continue the current control scheme they have going for future Metroids. It took a little adjusting to, but afterwards it really is some fantastic handling.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bah--Amazon failed in their release-date delivery. Oh well--at least they refunded my shipping costs.

Mar

I've watched a few videos of this now, including the giantbomb quicklook, and I'm amazed I dislike what I've seen more than what I dislike about the Prime games. While I didn't like the Prime games, at least they controlled really well and worked in the context of the environments. But Other M just looks like a complete mess.

Watching Brad Shoemaker trying to stand still to fire a rocket at two enemies firing lasers looked like gameplay I wouldn't subject to my worst enemy.

Here's hoping the new Donkey Kong Country turns out good. I've been waiting for another great one of those for probably just as many years.

robor

Mar said:
Watching Brad Shoemaker trying to stand still to fire a rocket at two enemies firing lasers looked like gameplay I wouldn't subject to my worst enemy.

Yea but he sucked hard at the game. He didn't even use the beam once in FPS mode.

robor said:
With that avatar, I wouldn't fuck with your expertise on the subject. I bet you could tear anyone's asshole open when engaging a Sega centric debate. The only other guy I could think of that could challenge your Sega knowledge is Jarrod (banned : ( ).
Ah there are lots of people that will run circles around me for SEGA knowledge on here. I'm very Saturn-focused in particular. I dislike Sonic and the Dreamcast gives me far less of a boner than even some console-neutral folks. Also, I don't hate the current SEGA. I'm a rare chap.

Nemesis_

Mar said:
I've watched a few videos of this now, including the giantbomb quicklook, and I'm amazed I dislike what I've seen more than what I dislike about the Prime games. While I didn't like the Prime games, at least they controlled really well and worked in the context of the environments. But Other M just looks like a complete mess.

Here's hoping the new Donkey Kong Country turns out good. I've been waiting for another great one of those for probably just as many years.

Play it. Then judge it.

robor

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ah there are lots of people that will run circles around me for SEGA knowledge on here. I'm very Saturn-focused in particular. I dislike Sonic and the Dreamcast gives me far less of a boner than even some console-neutral folks. Also, I don't hate the current SEGA. I'm a rare chap.

Oh, my bad. Looks like we have something in common though: Saturn rules.

The_Technomancer said:
Actually....were Prime 1 and 2 the only games to not give you any clue where stuff was on the maps? (aside from the intermittent hints of where to go if you had those turned on_

I thought the Prime trilogy did show dots on the map.

MechaX

AniHawk said:
To be fair, if it was Morgan who read the review, it's hard to blame people for thinking it was her words. Lots of people think that Adam and Morgan write the reviews they say on X-Play.

That said, Abbie seems like a rational person, and she and Matt can at least back their positions up. I think it was her comment about not wanting "mature" titles on the 3DS because it felt weird to her, that it would somehow just be better on other systems was when I realized Morgan wasn't a rational person.

I dunno. With the exception of one incident (Conker: Live and Reloaded at that), for all intents and purposes, there is some serious groupthink going on behind the scenes at XPlay when it comes to their reviews. With that said, I don't know if it's etiquette for individual video game journalists to openly disagree with the main review. But for the most part, they're always like "I agree one-THOUSAND-percent" in stuff like podcasts and the like. Makes things a bit weirder when Morgan was like "I agree with your super high perfect score completely, buuuuutt..." when concerning that entire Mario Galaxy 1/2 fiasco.

wsippel

Banned
Mar said:
He didn't have to do it that way. The Charge Beam in 3rd person works just as well and is much better suited for fast enemies like those drones.

robor

wsippel said:
He didn't have to do it that way. The Charge Beam in 3rd person works just as well and is much better suited for fast enemies like those drones.

That and he had no idea how to use the sense-move mechanic. He was raving about only having to hold the d-pad non-stop to dodge enemies where the game was openly contradicting his erroneous statement at the venus-flytrap enemy zone section. It was quite hilarious :lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I haven't followed this game much since the debut trailer, was pretty set on getting it. I still am picking it up today, but I'm really shocked at the mixed/mediocre reception it seems to be getting from fans. I can't imagine not loving it, we'll see tonight I guess.

Joei

I just checked my Amazon order and it said it's not shipping until the 7th and I won't get it until the 14th to 20th.... what the hell? Anyone elses order say this? Every other time I've ordered from Amazon it shipped the day of release, not a week after, and I usually recieved the game within about 5 days.

Tadale

Strange about the Amazon stuff. I ordered it early yesterday afternoon, and mine's already out of delivery this morning.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
SalsaShark said:
Theres like 2 seconds of slow-mo (enemies go into slow-motion, you can aim at normal speed) when you go from third person to first person view that are just enough to point and shoot what you want in the middle of combat. Specially when an enemy is stunned.

I think it works.
The problem is that you have to be facing the direction you want to shoot before pointing the remote at the screen. Your going from very fast paced automated gameplay to slow precise gameplay almost instantly. It's two completely different styles and I think they butt heads with each other. I would have preferred to be able to shoot missiles from third person. A good comparison is Link. He can shoot his bow and arrow from both first and third person perspectives. Something similar would have been nice here.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Thanks for your feedback. I don't agree with your conclusions, because the Metroid series isn't losing anything. It's just that it should not have been developed by Team Ninja. It is just as simple as it is.
Yeah it is or else all of these fans wouldn't be complaining. I really don't think this is a Team Ninja issue, but rather some pretty bad design choices. The action that Team Ninja brings to the table is welcomed imo. It's the controls that really hamper the gameplay which they tried to change but Sakamoto was adamant on only using the Wii remote. It's kind of ironic that he did that because the whole reason he went with an outside team was because he hadn't made 3D games before. Why he didn't listen to their advice I don't know.

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
donkey show said:
Playing through hard mode really makes Other M into Metroid Gaiden... And I'm okay with it. :D

This quote pleases me. I am excited to see what my own personal experience with this game will produce. Having spent lots of time with both Ninja Gaiden and Metroid series, I have a strong feeling that I will love what both Nintendo and Team Ninja have created.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Segata Sanshiro said:
Morgan Webb and Abbie Heppe are not the same person.

I for one found the G4 review stellar. I only wish they had addressed the terrible racism in the game. Anthony Higgs, an African-Galactic-Federationian, takes orders from Adam Malkovich, a Caucasian-Galactic-Federationian. I think the implications are fairly obvious and the game really should have been docked for that kind of poor social message.
And thats really all that needs to be said.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Socreges said:
"Style Savvy has an engaging and mature take on the fantasy job sim that should be enjoyed guilt-free. For the girlfriend or tween daughter or anyone that wants a fashion game that isn't patronizing to one's intelligence, Style Savvy comes highly recommended."

There's no conflict that I can see.

That's not to say that I think her review is perfectly reasonable. But she's not being a hypocrite.
I totally see a conflict. With the Style Savvy game she is being a rational person who admits that its not sexist for girls to enjoy fashion if its handled in a non-patronizing way. With Metroid she's saying that its not okay for "strong" women to take any orders from men or show any sign of sensitive emotion.

(Style Savvy was reviewed by the G4 girl, right?)

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Amir0x said:

I think sure it's hard to disconnect this game from the other Metroid games because you can't. It IS a new Metroid game.
Even the Prime games, which were far more radically different than this one, were compared to the classic Metroid titles. In my view, those changes were mostly great and the games itself were amazing.

Exactly. If anything, people are giving poor design choices a free pass because it's a Nintendo game. Also, I thought this was part of the main series as well not a spin off like Prime or Hunters. I'm not saying the game is terrible, but it is deeply flawed. I do hope they continue to focus and improve on the action that's been brought to the table because it has a lot of potential, but everything else that was changed in this iteration needs to be scrapped. Go back to the basics of exploration and the new combat focus. Also, I don't mind the game being shorter than usual as long as there's a reason to go back and play it. I'm not sure there's any incentive here.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
According to Iwata ask, the terrible, TERRIBLE storyboard of the game was made by Kitaura of D-Rockets: a dude who NEVER had ANY experience in making videogames. He usually make TV commercials.
I love how Sakamoto was brought to tears by the early CG demos. :p

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
JonnyAvacado said:
This quote pleases me. I am excited to see what my own personal experience with this game will produce. Having spent lots of time with both Ninja Gaiden and Metroid series, I have a strong feeling that I will love what both Nintendo and Team Ninja have created.
I love the NG games as well and you can see what Team Ninja brings to the table here advances the series in a good, new and fresh direction. I really do like the combat and smoothness that's been implemented. There are other things about it that keep the game from being good though, namely the way the story is told and controls which seem to be what most people are complaining about.

gogojira

Around four to five hours in and I'm still trying to gauge how I feel about it. It has its ups and downs. I know full well that Team Ninja wasn't the only development studio behind this, but they've definitely left their stamp on Other M.

I'm not a fan of the many "lock a door and destroy all enemies" scenarios. There's just way too many, but on the positive side of things, once you know how to take any enemy down they're cake.

One thing I'm having damn near no issues with is the flip to first person that has taken some criticism. Maybe it's just because I've played my Wii a decent amount in the years while most game critics admit to never powering there's on, but I can make quick work of enemies with a missile attack and pop right back into third person with no trouble.

I can see how someone with less experience with the whole IR pointer system might have trouble, I'm just feeling none of it.

As expected, the "permission to use" weapons system scenario comes off a little tacky. In theory it's the same, in execution it seems out of place and takes away from the cool factor of discovering new abilities.

I was really hoping the music would stand out a little more. There are a few noteworthy tracks that I've stumbled on, the best of which was in an amazing looking area that had a very
Zebes-like (uh, is this a spoiler?)
vibe to it. Didn't last long enough though. Most of it's very hidden in the background.

I don't want to ramble too long having not finished the game.

daakusedo said:
That seems logical.

Logical yes, but there's a disconnect between the third person and first person views. It's hard to explain but it's not intuitive to line your character up first in third person view then switch to first person. You just automatically point at what you want to shoot and expect the camera to follow, which it does not. You have to train yourself to line Samus up before switching. This really got to me in the demo with the chameleon things.

And just to say, I play Wii all the time. I just recently finished Red Steel so no, it's not like I'm unfamiliar with the IR pointer.

mantidor

Lost Fragment said:
Not $50 worth of "good," though. Sorta regretting not waiting for the price drop. But much like the Final Fantasy series, I am forever doomed buy every new Metroid game day 1 for full price.

Good luck with that, Nintendo never drops prices, I'm still waiting for a Punch Out drop. Knowing that I thought I might as well just buy it right now. I feel the same for Sin & Punishment 2 but my budget is simply not enough to get both games.

Out for delivery! Wow, I did not expect this to come until tomorrow. It notes that it shipped with the art folio as well, so no worries there either. May try to finish up Fusion before it arrives (close to the end now) but if not, whatever, it will be something to play after I finish Other M.

unless Other M completely turns me away from the Metroid franchise for the rest of my life

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Estimated delivery date: September 13.

If you choose free shipping from Amazon, you can forget getting it any time soon :\

commish said:
If you choose free shipping from Amazon, you can forget getting it any time soon :\

Not necessarily true. In my experience, Amazon is something of a god in getting stuff to you quick, even on free shipping. I don't suppose that applies to everyone, but I've dealt with Amazon quite a lot in the last few years and I am, more often than not, surprised by how fast I receive items.

Put maybe 6 hours into it so far. Really a mixed bag. Been playing Metroid since NES. honestly I love them all. This game seems to be more like Fusion than any other in the series..

I think my biggest issue is how linear it is. Seriously 1. find nav room 2. show extended map and 3. find next nav room. At least in Fusion you got a bit of info when you got there to give you a reason to get to the point it's telling you to get to. Also the authorizing power up is a bit blah. In Fusion you have to at least find the room that hold the upgrade. The Other hidden items are fun to find and theirs more then your usual missile and energy. :D

As for the controls they are ok, their not as bad as I thought. The restoring energy seems a bit out of place, when you need to use it you usually cannot pull it off. And I can even buy the story. It really is a good game, but having played them all it falls into the lower bracket with Fusion. Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and Prime 1 are my personal favorites.

mantidor

brandonh83 said:
Not necessarily true. In my experience, Amazon is something of a god in getting stuff to you quick, even on free shipping. I don't suppose that applies to everyone, but I've dealt with Amazon quite a lot in the last few years and I am, more often than not, surprised by how fast I receive items.

True. I chose free shipping and the game is getting supposedly tomorrow. Free shipping just means you can get from 1 day to 2 weeks, there's no guarantee.

gdt

So wierd you guys are having problems with Amazon. I've never had a single issue with them, ever.

Is Day1 delivery only exclusive to Prime members (I am one)? I thought it wasn't.

commish

gdt5016 said:
So wierd you guys are having problems with Amazon. I've never had a single issue with them, ever.

Is Day1 delivery only exclusive to Prime members (I am one)? I thought it wasn't.

Oh it's not a problem at all. They are just doing what they said they'd do. I just hate how they hold onto a shipment instead fo just shipping it out. They said 7 days or whatever, and that's what it'll take, but if they just shipped it today, even with the slowest form of shipping on earth, i'd get it this week.

Cygnus X-1

gogojira said:
Around four to five hours in and I'm still trying to gauge how I feel about it. It has its ups and downs. I know full well that Team Ninja wasn't the only development studio behind this, but they've definitely left their stamp on Other M.

I'm not a fan of the many "lock a door and destroy all enemies" scenarios. There's just way too many, but on the positive side of things, once you know how to take any enemy down they're cake.

One thing I'm having damn near no issues with is the flip to first person that has taken some criticism. Maybe it's just because I've played my Wii a decent amount in the years while most game critics admit to never powering there's on, but I can make quick work of enemies with a missile attack and pop right back into third person with no trouble.

I can see how someone with less experience with the whole IR pointer system might have trouble, I'm just feeling none of it.

As expected, the "permission to use" weapons system scenario comes off a little tacky. In theory it's the same, in execution it seems out of place and takes away from the cool factor of discovering new abilities.

I was really hoping the music would stand out a little more. There are a few noteworthy tracks that I've stumbled on, the best of which was in an amazing looking area that had a very
Zebes-like (uh, is this a spoiler?)
vibe to it. Didn't last long enough though. Most of it's very hidden in the background.

I don't want to ramble too long having not finished the game.

darkjedi187 said:
Put maybe 6 hours into it so far. Really a mixed bag. Been playing Metroid since NES. honestly I love them all. This game seems to be more like Fusion than any other in the series..

I think my biggest issue is how linear it is. Seriously 1. find nav room 2. show extended map and 3. find next nav room. At least in Fusion you got a bit of info when you got there to give you a reason to get to the point it's telling you to get to. Also the authorizing power up is a bit blah. In Fusion you have to at least find the room that hold the upgrade. The Other hidden items are fun to find and theirs more then your usual missile and energy. :D

As for the controls they are ok, their not as bad as I thought. The restoring energy seems a bit out of place, when you need to use it you usually cannot pull it off. And I can even buy the story. It really is a good game, but having played them all it falls into the lower bracket with Fusion. Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and Prime 1 are my personal favorites.

Still undecided if yay or nay.

commish

Some of these opinions are making me want to cancel my order! haha. I think we'll see a lot of Other Ms for sale in a week.

darkjedi187 said:

I'm about 70% of the way or more through Fusion and I find it to be pretty linear, especially compared to Super Metroid. Zebes was laid out in such a way that, despite knowing pretty much where to go some of the time, it promoted heavy exploration. I'm not getting this vibe from Fusion at all, but it still feels like Metroid to me and I'm having a blast with it. You may be right in that Other M feels more linear even compared to Fusion, but I've been tearing through Fusion without any guesswork of where I need to be going. And honestly, the way the game is laid out, I feel that the parts where you do need to look around a bit sort of breaks the progression momentum. I think in the long run I'd either have either a completely linear game or a completely non-linear game.

FFXIII, for example, was completely linear for about 20-25 hours (in my case 30) and then it throws you into an open-world location-- only to be taken away a bit later. Many people loved this and found it to be a breath of fresh air after all the linearity but honestly after beating FFXIII, I kind of think they should have just kept to I-75 instead of veering out into the desert.

scitek

MadOdorMachine said:
Exactly. If anything, people are giving poor design choices a free pass because it's a Nintendo game. Also, I thought this was part of the main series as well not a spin off like Prime or Hunters. I'm not saying the game is terrible, but it is deeply flawed. I do hope they continue to focus and improve on the action that's been brought to the table because it has a lot of potential, but everything else that was changed in this iteration needs to be scrapped. Go back to the basics of exploration and the new combat focus. Also, I don't mind the game being shorter than usual as long as there's a reason to go back and play it. I'm not sure there's any incentive here.

Or maybe because we genuinely don't think the design choices are "very poor". And it's not "shorter than usual," it's shorter than the Primes, but those were ridiculously long games, by any standards. They were upwards of 15-20 hours each for a first play-through, which is nowhere near "usual" for a Metroid game.

Top Bottom