• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Snaku

Banned
gdt5016 said:
So wierd you guys are having problems with Amazon. I've never had a single issue with them, ever.

Is Day1 delivery only exclusive to Prime members (I am one)? I thought it wasn't.

It's not, I got release date delivery, but my shipment has been delayed. I'm fucking positive there's a supply issue due to the massive influx of pre-orders that took advantage of the $20 game credit.

Boney

Banned
Just wanted to point out Kitaura wrote the storyboard, not the story. Got any issues with the themes and characters, well then it's not Kitaura's fault.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Has anyone complained about any bugs in this game? I'm stuck on Sector 1 and I can't figure out if I'm missing something or if the game is locked up.

I just defeated three armadillo reptile dudes and scanned some dead bodies. Now I've made it to what appears like it will be a boss fight, but the game automatically switched me to first person and I can't get out of it. I can't look around the room by holding down B, I'm forced to only look straight ahead. I can hear something moving in the bushes, but I can't turn to try and focus on it. Nothing I do will get me out of first person. I feel like I'm missing something really simple, but I don't know what it is or if my game is locked up. I already tried starting over from the last checkpoint and I get the same results. Any advice?

stuminus3

gogojira said:
One thing I'm having damn near no issues with is the flip to first person that has taken some criticism. Maybe it's just because I've played my Wii a decent amount in the years while most game critics admit to never powering there's on, but I can make quick work of enemies with a missile attack and pop right back into third person with no trouble.
Thank you for this comment, I expected as much. It's horrible that so many 'professionals' stick can't find their way around a Wiimote even though the thing has been out for years now. I mean, I can kind of forgive them on early Wii reviews for this kind of thing, but it's just silly now.

MadOdorMachine said:
Has anyone complained about any bugs in this game? I'm stuck on Sector 1 and I can't figure out if I'm missing something or if the game is locked up.

I just defeated three armadillo reptile dudes and scanned some dead bodies. Now I've made it to what appears like it will be a boss fight, but the game automatically switched me to first person and I can't get out of it. I can't look around the room by holding down B, I'm forced to only look straight ahead. I can hear something moving in the bushes, but I can't turn to try and focus on it. Nothing I do will get me out of first person. I feel like I'm missing something really simple, but I don't know what it is or if my game is locked up. I already tried starting over from the last checkpoint and I get the same results. Any advice?

Just keep holding down B and looking in the bushes, especially where they move. I had this same problem, you'll get it.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
scitek said:
Or maybe because we genuinely don't think the design choices are "very poor". And it's not "shorter than usual," it's shorter than the Primes, but those were ridiculously long games, by any standards. They were upwards of 15-20 hours each for a first play-through, which is nowhere near "usual" for a Metroid game.
I'm not the only one complaining about it but maybe I should clarify as well. The implementation is off. I don't mind shooting in first person, but it slows down the fast pace the game has in third person. I think the first person view should have been left to looking around rooms for hidden items instead of forcing you to switch to it to use missiles. It's like they didn't know if they wanted the game to be in first or third person whenever they made it. Maybe they were just trying to please fans of the Prime games as well, but it just seems out of place to have to switch perspectives so much. From the previews I've seen, it looks like you can use your grappling hook in both first and third person. I don't know why they didn't apply this to the missiles as well.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Just keep holding down B and looking in the bushes, especially where they move. I had this same problem, you'll get it.
Okay thanks, I'll give that a try.

Metroid

DeathbyVolcano said:

There are many moments like this in the game. Really annoyed me at one point, couldnt figure out where to look in the
scene after the pollo loco thingy, got stuck there for HALF AN HOUR..

EDIT: for anyone who wants to know
where to look: it´s the green blood puddle in front of the car. Really, who puts a green puddle on a green floor in such a huge area..

Metroid said:
There are many moments like this in the game. Really annoyed me at one point, couldnt figure out where to look in the
scene after the pollo loco thingy, got stuck there for HALF AN HOUR..

Happened to me as well. It's pretty bad.

Synless

Man, I can't wait to get done with my internship today so that I can get this game. I wanted to pick it up last night at Walmart, but they fucked me by not looking hard enough. I know they had it back there.

BlueMagic

You people are seriously not liking this game? I'm really liking it, the fluidity and moves make it a very immersive game. On the other hand, this will probably be the first Metroid that I actually finish.

gogojira

Cygnus X-1 said:
Still undecided if yay or nay.

I still say "Yay," it's just almost Prime like in that there are a lot of Metroidy things about it paired with some decidedly un-Metroidy design elements. I'm not saying the two share similar gameplay mechanics, just that they each have the "oh, so Metroidy" and "wait, why is this in Metroid?" moments.

The d-pad controls aren't nearly as awkward as I feared. The only time they feel little clumsy is with the RE4 over-the-shoulder view. Aside from that, Samus is on such a tight grid that even when in a roaming 3D environment, they work.

Oddly enough, I'm enjoying the story for what it is. Ideally there would be no forced story with dramatic cutscenes, but it's been some time since we've had our ideal Metroid. I've come to enjoy some of the goings on at the Bottle Ship, even if it makes me cringe a little every time Anthony refers to Samus as princess (fuck I hate that).

It's weird though. The game definitely has its blemishes and as a huge advocate for 2D Metroid and the promise that Other M brought with Sakamoto behind it, I'm not convinced the Bottle Ship will be as memorable or well laid out as Tallon IV.

Edit: Wanted to add that item placement is better than expected, too. I think some reviewers were under the impression that every item is clearly labeled on the map, which it's not. Super Metroid had a similar mechanic.

It's a shame they've removed the classic item jingle though.

tim1138

Snaku said:
It's not, I got release date delivery, but my shipment has been delayed. I'm fucking positive there's a supply issue due to the massive influx of pre-orders that took advantage of the $20 game credit.

Yeah I got the same email from them about it being delayed. Did they update your order yet with a new delivery estimate?

Synless

BlueMagic said:
You people are seriously not liking this game? I'm really liking it, the fluidity and moves make it a very immersive game. On the other hand, this will probably be the first Metroid that I actually finish.
You never finished Super Metroid, Fusion, Zero Mission, II, or any other of the Metroids? WTF is wrong with you?

gogojira said:
I still say "Yay," it's just almost Prime like in that there are a lot of Metroidy things about it paired with some decidedly un-Metroidy design elements. I'm not saying the two share similar gameplay mechanics, just that they each have the "oh, so Metroidy" and "wait, why is this in Metroid?" moments.

The d-pad controls aren't nearly as awkward as I feared. The only time they feel little clumsy is with the RE4 over-the-shoulder view. Aside from that, Samus is on such a tight grid that even when in a roaming 3D environment, they work.

Oddly enough, I'm enjoying the story for what it is. Ideally there would be no forced story with dramatic cutscenes, but it's been some time since we've had our ideal Metroid. I've come to enjoy some of the goings on at the Bottle Ship, even if it makes me cringe a little every time Anthony refers to Samus as princess (fuck I hate that).

It's weird though. The game definitely has its blemishes and as a huge advocate for 2D Metroid and the promise that Other M brought with Sakamoto behind it, I'm not convinced the Bottle Ship will be as memorable or well laid out as Tallon IV.

Aether was more memorable than Tallon IV anyway.

SNAP

gogojira

_Alkaline_ said:
Aether was more memorable than Tallon IV anyway.

SNAP

I liked Aether, too, but I found it a little more frustrating thanks to the constant flipping back and forth between light and dark. Dark looked cool and really Metroidy at first, but it was all so samey.

BlueMagic

Synless said:
You never finished Super Metroid, Fusion, Zero Mission, II, or any other of the Metroids? WTF is wrong with you?
Yeah, I'm quite ashamed of it but, for some reason, I never could finish any other Metroid game (I only played Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and tried the Prime series though). I will someday, I promise.

wsippel

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
I'm not the only one complaining about it but maybe I should clarify as well. The implementation is off. I don't mind shooting in first person, but it slows down the fast pace the game has in third person. I think the first person view should have been left to looking around rooms for hidden items instead of forcing you to switch to it to use missiles. It's like they didn't know if they wanted the game to be in first or third person whenever they made it. Maybe they were just trying to please fans of the Prime games as well, but it just seems out of place to have to switch perspectives so much. From the previews I've seen, it looks like you can use your grappling hook in both first and third person. I don't know why they didn't apply this to the missiles as well.
Compare it to the bow in Ninja Gaiden. Same mechanic, same limitations. And no, you have to switch to first person mode to use the grappling hook as well.

LaneDS

gogojira said:
It's a shame they've removed the classic item jingle though.

I haven't been following the game too closely for fear of spoilers but that made me do an audible "what"... that's like removing Mario's moustache.

robor

BlueMagic said:
Yeah, I'm quite ashamed of it but, for some reason, I never could finish any other Metroid game (I only played Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and tried the Prime series though). I will someday, I promise.

Go straight to Fusion if you like Other M. It sounds like it would be your type of Metroid game.

gogojira said:
I liked Aether, too, but I found it a little more frustrating thanks to the constant flipping back and forth between light and dark. Dark looked cool and really Metroidy at first, but it was all so samey.

Oh I can definitely sympathise with that, but in retrospect, Aether's environmental design is head and shoulders above Tallon IV. As good as Prime was, it's world design was not nearly as detailed or alien as what Retro created in Echoes. There are so many little touches to Aether, you almost feel bad for the developers because of the amount of time each room must have taken to create. Even the most insignificant tunnel will have distinctive features.

As a world, it is so much more alive than Tallon IV, even if (as you mentioned) it's not as coherent.

Teknoman

BlueMagic said:

It happens. There are people here that didnt like the Prime series, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Mario Galaxy 2, etc.

LaneDS said:
I haven't been following the game too closely for fear of spoilers but that made me do an audible "what"... that's like removing Mario's moustache.

Yeah that was a bad decision (they've got Ridley's theme, Samus Appears, and classic title screen music...why not this?). Now its just as low key as finding a missle expansion.

robor

wsippel said:
Compare it to the bow in Ninja Gaiden. Same mechanic, same limitations. And no, you have to switch to first person mode to use the grappling hook as well.

Thank god. What a stupid design decision if it weren't the case.

gogojira

LaneDS said:

Yeah, it's weird. If it's taken from anything, I certainly don't recognize it.

LaneDS

gogojira said:
Yeah, it's weird. If it's taken from anything, I certainly don't recognize it.

Oh, so there's still music, but not what we've all come to recognize? Why would they do that? Grumble.

Hiltz

My head hurts from reading all of these reviews and GAF hands-on impressions.

Never has a game had me this confused before. I am open to the concept of Nintendo experimenting with new ideas for Metroid as I both love the 2D titles and Prime series. With that said, I'm going to go into Other M believing that it is a fun but flawed experience.

Anyway, Walmart should be sending me the game any time now.

robor

Hiltz said:
My head hurts from reading all of these reviews and GAF hands-on impressions.

Never has a game had me this confused before.

I know right? It actually excites me, I've got a good feeling about this game.

gogojira

_Alkaline_ said:
Oh I can definitely sympathise with that, but in retrospect, Aether's environmental design is head and shoulders above Tallon IV. As good as Prime was, it's world design was not nearly as detailed or alien as what Retro created in Echoes. There are so many little touches to Aether, you almost feel bad for the developers because of the amount of time each room must have taken to create. Even the most insignificant tunnel will have distinctive features.

As a world, it is so much more alive than Tallon IV, even if (as you mentioned) it's not as coherent.

From a world layout and design perspective, I found Prime superior.

Totally agree with Aether feeling more alien and hostile, making a bit more true to the series.

Get to start forming my opinion in about an hour.

I know the cutscenes good or bad won't bother me.

I know the change in Wiimote orientation will not be difficult for me....I'm looking forward to it actually.

I am a little worried about the environmental design. Having watched some video and looked at screenshots, nothing really stands out. This is driving my curiosity as to how I'll feel experiencing the flow of the game.

I really like it when a game is difficult to gauge ;-) Happy or not with the final product, I'm enjoying the curiosity this game is breeding.

gogojira

LaneDS said:
Oh, so there's still music, but not what we've all come to recognize? Why would they do that? Grumble.

Yeah, but it's more like, uh, noise. It's hard to describe and honestly, it's hard to even imagine it in my head right now and I've grabbed quite a few missile expansions.

heringer

_Alkaline_ said:

That's actually something that bothered me a bit about Metroid Prime. The world they created is magnificent, no doubt about it, but it never felt quite enough sci-fi and alien to me.

_Alkaline_ said:

I think this is highly debatable because as good as Aether is, I think Tallon IV is more memorable. You may be right that the world is more alien, especially due to the dark world, but I think detail is arguable. Prime 2 excels at tiny little details here and there, like complex geometry and moving parts, but Prime has greater diversity which ultimately makes me feel its worlld is more alive and complete. I also think the way items were hidden was better, too.

Hiltz

robor said:
I know right? It actually excites me, I've got a good feeling about this game.

I also feel that way, at least a part of me does. The other part is simply bracing itself for some form of disappointment.

I really hope there will be some game journalists out there with the balls to ask the big questions the next time they get to interview Sakamoto. He's got some explaining to do and the fans deserve to hear it.

gogojira

heringer said:
That's actually something that bothered me a bit about Metroid Prime. The world they created is magnificent, no doubt about it, but it never felt quite enough sci-fi and alien to me.

Definitely agree there. There were too many Earth-like environments, but the Impact Crater was fucking great -- I just wish it was longer.

Photo_083110_001.jpg

About to start her up.
:D

Edit: Huh, a system update. And I just checked last night.
Oh well, the Art Folio is GORGEOUS!

DeathbyVolcano said:
wtf, the prime games didn't feel alien enough for you? wow, not getting that mindset at all.

Prime? No. As beautiful as Tallon IV was, the earth-like locales (minus a few amazing exceptions) were a bit underwhelming in terms of having unique and alien design. It was like someone carved out a few amazing vistas on Earth, removed them and placed them into a new planet. The Chozo Ruins and the Impact Crater were outstanding though in design, no doubt about that.

Corruption and in particular Echoes were superior in this regard though. Every single environment, save Norion (and the GFS Olympus), was out of this world. But even the most plain rooms and tunnels had unique features that helped not only distinguish them apart but also assist in creating such alien locales.

Keep in mind that I'm not discounting just how fantastically realised the environments are in Prime. I just think the latter two games did it better, even if their worlds perhaps weren't as coherent or tightly designed as Tallon IV was.

bryehn

brandonh83 said:
Looks like it sounds good too, with Dolby ProLogic II support

I thought it was a DVD when the girl at GameStop handed it to me (didn't pre-order just walked in).

You'd think with how nice the art is in that thing they'd have come up with a less shit-tastic cover.

Oh and I had no idea it was Wii Remote only, my big, arthritis-riddled hands are not pleased. Not even a 'chuck option :(

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
bryehn said:
Oh and I had no idea it was Wii Remote only, my big, arthritis-riddled hands are not pleased. Not even a 'chuck option :(

might help if you play with an M+ wiimote? Or even the mario kart wheel?

Guevara

_Alkaline_ said:
Prime? No. As beautiful as Tallon IV was, the earth-like locales (minus a few amazing exceptions) were a bit underwhelming in terms of having unique and alien design. It was like someone carved out a few amazing vistas on Earth, removed them and placed them into a new planet. The Chozo Ruins and the Impact Crater were outstanding though in design, no doubt about that.

Corruption and in particular Echoes were superior in this regard though. Every single environment, save Norion (and the GFS Olympus), was out of this world. But even the most plain rooms and tunnels had unique features that helped not only distinguish them apart but also assist in creating such alien locales.

Keep in mind that I'm not discounting just how fantastically realised the environments are in Prime. I just think the latter two games did it better, even if their worlds perhaps weren't as coherent or tightly designed as Tallon IV was.

I preferred Tallon IV overall but I agree most of the areas felt like they could be on earth. I didn't really care for Pirate planet in Corruption because it felt a little too candy colored alien.

bryehn said:
You'd think with how nice the art is in that thing they'd have come up with a less shit-tastic cover.

eh. I prefer its simplicity.

oh music wise,
the ending credits music is fucking beyond incredible. like, I am seriously mindblown by how great it is. it is just simply beautiful and with WELL-DONE orchestration unlike many games with orchestrated tracks. it's seriously on par with sweeping Hollywood compositions that you'd hear from John Williams. no joke.

I don't really consider that much of a spoiler but I thought I'd tag it anyway for the sensitive impaired.

Top Bottom