• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
black_vegeta said:
Sorry if this was asked before...what is the difficulty looking like?
The game has a lot of potential, but I've died quite a bit because of the controls. There are some odd choices they put into the game. One of them being that you have to be in first person to shoot missiles, but the other one is that you can recharge your life by holding the Wiimote up and pressing A. The combination of the two makes you wonder why they didn't address the root problem - controls - instead of trying to patch it with the health recharge.

I'm still early on in the game, but so far the upgrades you get for your gun aren't as powerful as missiles. You have to shoot enemies a lot to kill them which is why they give you unlimited missiles. The balance is just off which is surprising coming from Team Ninja. I don't know if it's because Sakamoto was producing it or if it's because Itagaki/Miyamoto wasn't there to give their input.

Now, I will say that combat is very satisfying in third person once you get it down. I love the fact that you can automatically dodge attacks and finishing moves are easy to pull off as well. All you need to do is have your gun charged and approach an enemy and the rest is taken care of. What this does is make the action very fast paced. It really is bad ass and I would like to have seen this expanded upon because it's never been done before. I don't know if you've played the F-Zero games before but do you remember how insanely fast GX was? This game could have been to action games what F-Zero GX was to racers if it weren't for the controls.

Got a bit farther before I decided to stop so that I won't be somewhere important with no save when I have to leave.

Anyway, still loving it, but man the difficulty seems to be ramping up more as I go.
Unlike the Prime games, when you "scan" something it gives you no real hints, so it's very old school trial and error.
The
flying diffusion bots
were a bit of a pain in the ass, but I figured it out pretty quick.
And Deffusion Beam rocks!

So far, I'd give it an 8.5/10 easy.

pulga

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Ok, 4-5 hours in, and i dont know GAF, but im loving it.

Im gonna go the same way other went with first impressions:

Story: Not as bad as some of you may think. I appreciate the fact that it tries to do something original with the IP, i much rather have a different story at this point than the same old thing again and again. Cutscenes arent really that bad, Samus´s voice doesnt realy annoy me. In fact, the part of the cutscenes that i find cringe-worthy is the whole squad and their generic speech, specially Anthony. The whole part where they are
introduced by Adam calling their names and the whole power ranger-like moment was horrible :lol
. Also, i dont really get the "sexist" complains. I mean i think the game IS trying to show Samus as a weak person in some aspects. Sure she is a badass bounty hunter with a huge arsenal of moves under her sleeve, but that doesnt mean she´s not human. She´s like a teenage girl with her first crush on Malkovich, and its pretty pathetic, but i think the game realizes that, i think the whole point is to see Samus in a new light. At this point in time i certainly expected a bit more of character progression than say.. Master Chief, and im glad we got it.

Gameplay: Tight as hell. Metroid tight. Platforming IS precisive, it feels as good as ever, if you ask me. The d-pad doesnt bother me at all. Sure maybe the analog stick would have worked better, but other aspects of the overall control scheme wouldnt work that way. Fact is that you dont even have to walk diagonally that much, youll be using only 4 directions most of the time. Going from third person view to first works wonders for me, even in the middle of combat, as i said before. The game gives you a couple of slow-motion seconds during the change that gives you just the right amount of time to aim. Auto-aim in third person hasnt let me down yet, and most of the time (if not all) Samus shoots at what i want her to shoot.
All the other stuff people are complaining about (items showing up in the radar (i dont get this btw, previous metroid showed you the items as dots in the minimap), charging missiles/life with the press of a button, etc) just make complete sense inside the game. The game´s layout works in a way that this is a godsend, and really the only way they could pull it off. Previous methods for getting life from enemies for example would be a pain in the ass and unnecesary with this type of gameplay. The game is still challenging, even if you can replenish your life bar when you are about to die. This takes some time and if something hits you you are back to 0 again. The game is specially challenging in this regard early on, when you are not as accustomed to the new combat.
Finally, melee moves are awesome and Samus is more badass than ever.

Presentation: Game looks great, already mentioned what i think about the cutscenes earlier so not much else can be said here. It looks really good, it sounds really good, and the music is what youd expect. Some new tunes along with new versions of old metroid themes.

The only thing that i can think of right now that really bothers me is the parts of the game when you are stuck in first person view until you notice and scan something the game wants you to, before you are able to keep going. This works really bad, and ussually there isnt enough incentive to let you know what it is exactly you need to scan. Seriously, i spent like 10+ minutes in each of this parts (except the ones that were in trailers) trying to figure out what the hell the game was trying to show me.

Overall, a great game, and im loving it. It feels like Metroid.

Hype hype hype hype hype

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
donkey show said:
Just wait. :D

The more I play this game and look back on it, I definitely want more out of it. Having completed it 100% and being halfway through hard mode has me feeling like this game is a tease of what could have been. Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but damn... it could've been soooooooo much more. The next installment definitely needs this combat though (in combination with full on Prime-esque FPS controls), it's so fun. And please give me an
Anthony Higgs mode =P

But basically, Other M is Metroid Gaiden, and I mean that in a good way. :D
I haven't beat the game yet, but this is exactly how I feel too except without the Prime controls. I want a Metroid Gaiden not some weird hybrid. It's almost like the game has an identity crisis.

I know this is old news at this point, but, heres my opinion regarding G4’s review.
Keep in mind that I havent yet played the game because of Amazon’s same-day delivery mishap so I might be wrong about some of this… but this is what I gather from that review… anyway,…

So, Abbie said that its sexist that Samus can't use items until Adam tells her its ok. But when you think about it, you cant just jump in an Abrahams tank and go firing it off like a crazy wacko. Samus is a bounty hunter hired by the Federation, right? Maybe like Blackwater being hired by the US government. She still has to follow orders (same with Blackwater to an extent) or they'll never hire her again. Samus is a warrior, not a tactician. Samus could easily be a dude and Adam could easily be a woman... either way, it would still make sense using a modern military persepctive.

Abby said she wouldn’t talk or be friends with anyone who liked Metroid Other M… How can this woman who gets her back up about the objectification of women work for a company who is producing tv shows like "International Sexy Lady Show" and "Adult Entertainment Expo." Or who employ people like Morgan Webb and Olivia Munn who are used as objects of sexuality on their shows?...

Id love to know if people who are playing the game are getting this sexist vibe from the game though. Do tell! Haha.

Diffense

Amazon delayed but I got the last reserve copy at my local gamestop.
I'll be returning the now useless Amazon order.
Gonna play!
Later.

thecouncil said:
I know this is old news at this point, but, heres my opinion regarding G4’s review.
Keep in mind that I havent yet played the game because of Amazon’s same-day delivery mishap so I might be wrong about some of this… but this is what I gather from that review… anyway,…

So, Abbie said that its sexist that Samus can't use items until Adam tells her its ok. But when you think about it, you cant just jump in an Abrahams tank and go firing it off like a crazy wacko. Samus is a bounty hunter hired by the Federation, right? Maybe like Blackwater being hired by the US government. She still has to follow orders (same with Blackwater to an extent) or they'll never hire her again. Samus is a warrior, not a tactician. Samus could easily be a dude and Adam could easily be a woman... either way, it would still make sense using a modern military persepctive.

Abby said she wouldn’t talk or be friends with anyone who liked Metroid Other M… How can this woman who gets her back up about the objectification of women work for a company who is producing tv shows like "International Sexy Lady Show" and "Adult Entertainment Expo." Or who employ people like Morgan Webb and Olivia Munn who are used as objects of sexuality on their shows?...

Id love to know if people who are playing the game are getting this sexist vibe from the game though. Do tell! Haha.

There is no sexism in the game and Abbie is an idiot.
G4 should be nuked from existence, because nothing good ever comes from it.

MadOdorMachine said:
I'm still early on in the game, but so far the upgrades you get for your gun aren't as powerful as missiles. You have to shoot enemies a lot to kill them which is why they give you unlimited missiles. The balance is just off which is surprising coming from Team Ninja. I don't know if it's because Sakamoto was producing it or if it's because Itagaki/Miyamoto wasn't there to give their input.
You know, after playing it on hard mode, I really think that the missile recharge was made with this mode in mind. In normal, it really doesn't matter so much to the point you hardly find yourself having to recharge at all especially with the missile expansions, whereas in hard mode, you're capped at 10 and it becomes a much more tense during combat at times. The same goes for health concentration as well. The system just made more sense in hard mode.

I haven't beat the game yet, but this is exactly how I feel too except without the Prime controls. I want a Metroid Gaiden not some weird hybrid. It's almost like the game has an identity crisis.

Well, I thought about what I wrote and I'd probably keep the Prime controls, but only for precision. You should still be able to shoot your missiles in third person... especially since that damn B button isn't being used outside of FPS mode... >__>

Salsa

thecouncil said:

Actually she just kinda
bumps into them, she is not really hired by them at this point, but she does follow orders, it feels like she´s doing it out of love for Adam, wich might be what people find sexist ?

I really dont find it sexist at all. Maybe the game treats sexism, and how Samus, the bounty hunter badass, is a normal human being behind the armor, who happens to see Adam as a father figure, and at the same time having some sort of crush on him.

Its like if you play a game when one of the characters is a pedophile and people say "this game supports sex with minors!". Like i said, i think the game deals with sexism, the fact that Samus was (this spoiler is dumb and nothing big, but if you dont wanna know yet..)
the only woman working with the federation, the fact that people treats her differently
, but i dont think the game encourages this way of thinking, so really, i dont see whats wrong.

AceBandage said:
There is no sexism in the game and Abbie is an idiot.
G4 should be nuked from existence, because nothing good ever comes from it.

From orbit - the only way to be sure..

On the sexism bit: isn't Samus meant to look up to Adam as a father figure? ("confession time") Surely this has something to do with her following orders.

Personally, I think it totally stinks of sabotage. Of all the games to go after for on the grounds of sexism, they pick this one? Please.

I suppose Gears of War must transcend these parochial ways of thinking, as it has Anya telling you when you can use the Hammer of Dawn..

MrMephistoX

John Harker said:
Game on board!

Thanks Mejis, found the store. Can't believe I never went in there before.

I tried J&R first, no dice, but bingo.

Will have to put Starcraft 2 down tonight to load it up!
I'm not reading impressions anymore till I have my own - everytime I watch video of the game, I think it looks super exciting so I'm plenty stoked.

You and me both. I had a chance to try it out and the tutorial level sold me on the mechanics whereas I was worried they'd be junk: picking it up today after work.

JohngPR

Just got to the very first save station. Still very early, but here are some first impressions:

Graphics look great. Very sharp detail on Samus and really like the character models as well. Looks great.

Controls- I haven't really been tested quite yet, but I'm not having too hard of a time with it so far. The only thing that feels uncomfortable to me right now is having to let go of the D pad to press A to morph ball. Other than that, no issues.

Pointing the Wii at the remote hasn't been too horrible so far, but I haven't had to depend on it too much to kill enemies so far. Holding B down while pointing the Wii remote at the screen is my defacto way of initiating first person, it's a little disorienting to me when it goes into first person mode and I can't free look right off the bat.

As far as the story, it's too early to tell. I don't mind the story thus far and technically Samus has hasn't said a word so far. The only difference is that you're hearing her internal monologue. I kind of like that as a story device. Let's see if I say that a few more hours in though. :lol

Salsa

JohngPR said:
Pointing the Wii at the remote hasn't been too horrible so far, but I haven't had to depend on it too much to kill enemies so far. Holding B down while pointing the Wii remote at the screen is my defacto way of initiating first person, it's a little disorienting to me when it goes into first person mode and I can't free look right off the bat.

The whole "press B for scanning and missiles" thing could go away. People will only change to first person view to fire missiles, scan, etc. The fact that you have to press the B button to lock on stuff and see further in all directions is kinda pointless. Still, tiniest complaint ever.

evangd007

MarshMellow96 said:
From orbit - the only way to be sure..

On the sexism bit: isn't Samus meant to look up to Adam as a father figure? ("confession time") Surely this has something to do with her following orders.

Personally, I think it totally stinks of sabotage. Of all the games to go after for on the grounds of sexism, they pick this one? Please.

I suppose Gears of War must transcend these parochial ways of thinking, as it has Anya telling you when you can use the Hammer of Dawn..

Adam and Samus's relationship is very Japanese in nature, one heavily based on respect for superiors and authority. Abbe didn't understand this and chalked it up to sexism. Simple as that.

JohngPR

SalsaShark said:
The whole "press B for scanning and missiles" thing could go away. People will only change to first person view to fire missiles, scan, etc. The fact that you have to press the B button to lock on stuff and see further in all directions is kinda pointless. Still, tiniest complaint ever.

I agree, it's pointless to make you press B to free look. I just press it by instinct now when I press the Wii Remot so it's no biggie.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
brandonh83 said:
The art folio is very nice. Game installing. Hype through the roof.

Yeah I thought it was gonna be some fold out posters or a flipbook or something, so I was surprised to see the images printed on those nice cards. I like the descriptions on the back side, very slick. Pretty cool stuff but like I said before feel like I should just leave em in the book so they don't get messed up.

evangd007 said:
Adam and Samus's relationship is very Japanese in nature, one heavily based on respect for superiors and authority. Abbe didn't understand this and chalked it up to sexism. Simple as that.

It isn't even Japanese in nature.
It's how all Military organizations work.
You respect and follow your superiors.

The fact that Abbie doesn't know what sexism is, or how to review video games for that matter, is just an insult to journalism as a whole.

Again, nuke G4 from the face of the planet.

Thoraxes

Gamer @ Heart said:
I just got my shipping confirmation an hour ago. This has never happened to me before with Amazon. I dont see how it will get from Kansas to me by 7pm today.

I didn't think it was happening either, but yeah. Mine is definitely on it's way here as we speak. Guess air-mail is good.

D: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo smh amazon
i got bumped up to release date delivery with amazon prime and it's in Boston right now, but it has been delayed 1-2 days :lol :lol
:(

I will say during my first hour it is kind of odd not to be able to scan things when in first person mode.

Samus moves GREAT. Feels fluid and fast and the auto aim was a smart inclusion.

I'm really liking all the different camera angles while playing.......that kind of thing really draws me in.

Salsa

Incitemaybe said:
I'm really liking all the different camera angles while playing.......that kind of thing really draws me in.

Camera is just perfect. It never bothers you, always shows you what you want to see. Top-notch job.

JohngPR

Do some of the folks that are complaining about Samus' character and how young and submissive she acts not see that (at least an hour and a half in) these portrayals are taking place in
flashbacks before Samus was even a bounty hunter
?

I heard Abbie Heppe complaining that it doesn't make sense to portray her character in this way seeing as this takes place late in the Metroid timeline but those
flashbacks take place when she was a teenager

Perhaps I'm speaking too soon on the subject and she acts that way
in the current time as well

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
WIP Emulated Photo Album

[url="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23084179#post23084179"[/url]Dolphin Thread[/url]

Metroid%20Other%20M%20007.jpg

Metroid%20Other%20M%20013.jpg

GamerSoul

JohngPR said:
Do some of the folks that are complaining about Samus' character and how young and submissive she acts not see that (at least an hour and a half in) these portrayals are taking place in
flashbacks before Samus was even a bounty hunter
?

I heard Abbie Heppe complaining that it doesn't make sense to portray her character in this way seeing as this takes place late in the Metroid timeline but those
flashbacks take place when she was a teenager

Perhaps I'm speaking too soon on the subject and she acts that way
in the current time as well

The way I see it, Samus just didnt feel like it was not her place or her "character" anymore to be naive and hard-headed. She use to be apart of the GF(common metroid knowledge) but now she's her own person. Just like if any of us had to join a group, no matter what are skill level is, we are going to have to listen to our superiors. I think thats all she was doing.

careksims

Man. I still wonder why Nintendo didn't go Wii HD :( Seeing those shots and others geeze... I don't know how to get that emulated stuff to work. That looks so good. Nintendo should just release some add-on to make all the games in HD.

Threi

notag
yeah i've heard (and read) enough, this game is better than all 3 primes.

the hate for this game is mindblowing. It's one of the best games i've played this gen, the supposedly "sexist" part is also one of the most badass parts in the game thus far (i honestly don't know wtf that reviewer was thinking, but i'll leave that alone), controls are great (don't drink the "it needs analog" koolaid, the game is designed around dpad controls and it shows), environments are allright, character models are awesome, music is awesome, concentration mode isn't free health; you don't get a chance to use it so you better just sharpen up your dodging skills, concentration for missles beats farming enemies, way less tedious...

i can go on and on but i will just say i can't personally hold weight of the opinions from anyone who has a negative opinion on this game, doesn't matter if its the majority or minority. If the majority of people say this metroid is the worst one in the series than the majority of people have bad taste IMO. This is the metroid i want now, and for the future.

Kard8p3

Threi said:

the hate for this game is mindblowing. It's one of the best games i've played this gen, the supposedly "sexist" part is also one of the most badass parts in the game thus far (i honestly don't know wtf that reviewer was thinking, but i'll leave that alone), controls are great (don't drink the "it needs analog" koolaid, the game is designed around dpad controls and it shows), environments are allright, character models are awesome, music is awesome, concentration mode isn't free health; you don't get a chance to use it so you better just sharpen up your dodging skills, concentration for missles beats farming enemies, way less tedious...

i can go on and on but i will just say i can't personally hold weight of the opinions from anyone who has a negative opinion on this game, doesn't matter if its the majority or minority. If the majority of people say this metroid is the worst one in the series than the majority of people have bad taste IMO. This is the metroid i want now, and for the future.

Very nice to hear. How many hours do you have on it?

Threi

notag
Kard8p3 said:
Very nice to hear. How many hours do you have on it?
haven't checked, based on how many upgrades i have i think im about 60-70% through the game (not with regards to item collecting but with regards to the actual story), and i think im slightly under 10 hours in, didn't check the timer.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Threi said:

My instincts on this game kept getting proven right by impressions like these.

miksar

I believe it was questioned somewhere in this thread who the space pirates are: a race or an organization. Here is the official answer from Nintendo:
Space Pirates
First Appearance: Metroid
The Space Pirates are a violent and sinister race that first appeared just after the founding of the Galactic Federation. They carry out violent raids across the galaxy and are directly involved in the plots of most games in the Metroid series.

Seriously? "Samus has decided not to use bombs or missiles until Adam authorizes them".

I call BS. I wish Samus' VA was better. I kinda like the "don't care" tone of voice, but it's not pulled off well. Game looks amazing though, and I'm starting to get a feel for the combat. It's annoying that my Wii remote keeps thinking I'm pointing it towards the screen though.

scitek

miksar said:
I believe it was questioned somewhere in this thread who the space pirates are: a race or an organization. Here is the official answer from Nintendo:

Other M actually addresses this issue outright.

Salsa

Threi said:

Basically what i said on the previous page, glad to see im not alone :D

Top Bottom