• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Threi said:
the hate for this game is mindblowing. It's one of the best games i've played this gen, the supposedly "sexist" part is also one of the most badass parts in the game thus far (i honestly don't know wtf that reviewer was thinking, but i'll leave that alone), controls are great (don't drink the "it needs analog" koolaid, the game is designed around dpad controls and it shows), environments are allright, character models are awesome, music is awesome, concentration mode isn't free health; you don't get a chance to use it so you better just sharpen up your dodging skills, concentration for missles beats farming enemies, way less tedious...

Stop it. I'm not outta work for another 8 hours and you're making the wait even harder.
I'm not even supposed to be here today...

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I ordered from Amazon on 8/5/10 and got an email this morning telling me there was a delay. It will be here tomorrow, sigh. Guess I will console myself with Dead Rising Case Zero tonight.

Salsa

Snuggler said:
Stop it. I'm not outta work for another 8 hours and you're making the wait even harder.
I'm not even supposed to be here today...

OH GOD i just reached the part where
aklsdjklasjdkljaskldjalksjdkasjdlk
and i cant believe how
akjsdlkjaslkdkaljsdkljaskldja
, also wtf was
aklsdjlkasdljka
doing there ? that was so fuckin awesome, best game ever HOLY CRAP ARRGGHH.

Threi

notag
re: the unlock system

I really don't see why it's that big of a deal. She is a former soldier, why the hell should she just go on the planet and wreak havoc on her own? Adam asked for her cooperation, and she complied. Adam feels that the cooperation of all the parties present on the ship are imperative for the survival of everyone, that's why he asked that Samus follow all his orders. That sounds pretty believable to me, and makes a lot more sense than "oh hey here's a weapon sitting on a chozo statue in the middle of the room custom fitted for samus aran, that nobody cared enough to actually observe it and just left it alone".

Admittedly though there are some "fuck you adam let me use my <insert upgrade here>" parts though :lol

miksar said:
I believe it was questioned somewhere in this thread who the space pirates are: a race or an organization. Here is the official answer from Nintendo:

And it was talked also that Sakamotos has called the "organization" in the zero mission manga and what is seems also Other M.
Nintendo as a company, when does advertising in webs or magazines, and even manuals, have said lots of things about characters and they are not always right.

Salsa

Threi said:

I really don't see why it's that big of a deal. She is a former soldier, why the hell should she just go on the planet and wreak havoc on her own? Adam asked for her cooperation, and she complied. Adam feels that the cooperation of all the parties present on the ship are imperative for the survival of everyone, that's why he asked that Samus follow all his orders. That sounds pretty believable to me, and makes a lot more sense than "oh hey here's a weapon sitting on a chozo statue in the middle of the room custom fitted for samus aran, that nobody cared enough to actually observe it and just left it alone".

Admittedly though there are some "fuck you adam let me use my xxx upgrade" parts though :lol

This gets me even more mindboggled about that G4 review. "Samus concentrates and missiles replenish! it makes no sense!" sure because enemies exploding into misilles makes a whole lot of sense. ARGGHH.

burgerdog

Lambtron said:
I ordered from Amazon on 8/5/10 and got an email this morning telling me there was a delay. It will be here tomorrow, sigh. Guess I will console myself with Dead Rising Case Zero tonight.
Same boat, my friend.

GamerSoul

SalsaShark said:
This gets me even more mindboggled about that G4 review. "Samus concentrates and missiles replenish! it makes no sense!" sure because enemies exploding into misilles makes a whole lot of sense. ARGGHH.

i chuckled

Struct09

Threi said:

Admittedly though there are some "fuck you adam let me use my <insert upgrade here>" parts though :lol

Sure it works, but IMO it was way more rewarding to get items after solving puzzles and/or killing bosses rather than having a character just say "OK, you can use your missiles now."

I still like the game, it just seems like an odd design choice for a Nintendo game.

scitek

Threi said:

My thoughts were that Adam's a high ranking military officer, and he knows strategy. She's a fucking drop out, why should she be in charge because she blew open a door?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Snuggler said:
The art folio is pretty nice. It's classy.
I feel like I shouldn't touch it though since I might crinkle the edges or get chocolate stains on it or something.

Put the chocolate down first, then touch it.

Salsa

scitek said:
My thoughts were that Adam's a high ranking military officer, and he knows strategy. She's a fucking drop out, why should she be in charge because she blew open a door?

you are being so sexist!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I will miss the item orbs of Super Metroid. It's always exciting to grab one and see what it is, it's like when you slowly open a big chest in Zelda and the duhduhduhduh music plays, I love that feeling. It's like opening up a christmas present.

Easier said than done.

scitek

Extollere said:
thats_racist.gif

Glass Joe

I'm about an hour in and have a bad first impression... In that hour, it doesn't feel like I've played much due to all the cutscenes (I hear that gets better, but I'd like to jump into the action a bit before I hear a long story). I also died several times on the first "boss," and not necessarily fairly IMO (more in learning the controls and the 1st to 3rd person shift & what not). I'm early in the game, Sector 1 (where I died again against invisible creatures), but once I get the concepts down it will feel better and gel, I hope. Samus moves a lot quicker than I thought, the item (missile expansion) pickup tune is gone, and in general, it doesn't really feel like Metroid at all to me, so far.

From reading this thread I was under the impression that I could replenish my health whenever I had a free chance.

So far this is not the case, you have to be very low on health to replenish at all.

pulga

Banned
Threi said:
yeah i've heard (and read) enough, this game is better than all 3 primes.

the hate for this game is mindblowing. It's one of the best games i've played this gen, the supposedly "sexist" part is also one of the most badass parts in the game thus far (i honestly don't know wtf that reviewer was thinking, but i'll leave that alone), controls are great (don't drink the "it needs analog" koolaid, the game is designed around dpad controls and it shows), environments are allright, character models are awesome, music is awesome, concentration mode isn't free health; you don't get a chance to use it so you better just sharpen up your dodging skills, concentration for missles beats farming enemies, way less tedious...

i can go on and on but i will just say i can't personally hold weight of the opinions from anyone who has a negative opinion on this game, doesn't matter if its the majority or minority. If the majority of people say this metroid is the worst one in the series than the majority of people have bad taste IMO. This is the metroid i want now, and for the future.

SalsaShark said:
OH GOD i just reached the part where
aklsdjklasjdkljaskldjalksjdkasjdlk
and i cant believe how
akjsdlkjaslkdkaljsdkljaskldja
, also wtf was
aklsdjlkasdljka
doing there ? that was so fuckin awesome, best game ever HOLY CRAP ARRGGHH.

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

Threi said:

I'm playing through Fusion right now, and Samus mentions how much she hates following orders. I think through the Adam authorization crap in Other M, we're supposed to start feeling the same sentiments Samus expresses in Fusion. :lol

Threi

notag
Incitemaybe said:
From reading this thread I was under the impression that I could replenish my health whenever I had a free chance.

So far this is not the case, you have to be very low on health to replenish at all.
correct (as far as i know)

also, in the situations where you would need to replenish your health, you aren't really given a chance (unless you have some quick reflexes/somehow find enough distance/know your enemy's attack patterns/are lucky)

Salsa

pulga said:
HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

Im having trouble sensing if you are being sarcastic, but that was a joke for Snuggler. Im saying it because some people might think those spoilers contain something :lol

Still true though, game´s awesome.

Retro

Yeah... um... just saw the X-play review of this... and it confirms that G4 has no business reviewing games AND that Morgan Webb needs to sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up. She was quite the cunt during Nintendo's E3 coverage too, as I recall.

Even if half the praise in this thread is fanboy fanfare, Other M still sounds like a ton of fun. Spending an entire review bitching about how Samus isn't a positive female role model (The fuck? She's the first positive female lead that springs to my mind.) and how 'magically regenerating' ammo in a videogame is stupid? Shut up already.

I'm considering digging into my already meager savings for this tasty title.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Metroid said:
There are many moments like this in the game. Really annoyed me at one point, couldnt figure out where to look in the
scene after the pollo loco thingy, got stuck there for HALF AN HOUR..

EDIT: for anyone who wants to know
where to look: it´s the green blood puddle in front of the car. Really, who puts a green puddle on a green floor in such a huge area..
This is some stupid fucking shit. I probably would have been stuck here for half an hour too without your help. I hate complaining about some of this stuff so much, but wtf were they thinking by adding this? It isn't fun at all. Thanks for the help btw.

Anyway, now that I'm in the game a little, Samus' voice isn't quite as annoying. In some situations I have to avoid using missiles in order to be able to dodge and retain health. So far my biggest complaint is when they force you into first person mode.

Glass Joe said:
I'm about an hour in and have a bad first impression... In that hour, it doesn't feel like I've played much due to all the cutscenes (I hear that gets better, but I'd like to jump into the action a bit before I hear a long story). I also died several times on the first "boss," and not necessarily fairly IMO (more in learning the controls and the 1st to 3rd person shift & what not). I'm early in the game, Sector 1 (where I died again against invisible creatures), but once I get the concepts down it will feel better and gel, I hope. Samus moves a lot quicker than I thought, the item (missile expansion) pickup tune is gone, and in general, it doesn't really feel like Metroid at all to me, so far.

Yeah, I thought I heard a faint tune whenever I started the game from a save point though. The music is mainly ambient and without melody. I would have liked to have heard the power up noises as well get your energy/missiles replenished from killing baddies. Oh well, onto the game again!

farnham

Banned
Retro said:
Yeah... um... just saw the X-play review of this... and it confirms that G4 has no business reviewing games AND that Morgan Webb needs to sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up. She was quite the cunt during Nintendo's E3 coverage too, as I recall.

Even if half the praise in this thread is fanboy fanfare, Other M still sounds like a ton of fun. Spending an entire review bitching about how Samus isn't a positive female role model (The fuck? She's the first positive female lead that springs to my mind.) and how 'magically regenerating' ammo in a videogame is stupid? Shut up already.

the review was not written by morgan webb though.

Retro

farnham said:
the review was not written by morgan webb though.

Right, that's why I said "G4 has no business review games" before I launched into my anti-Webb rant. Also, is it confirmed she didn't write it?

(Edit: Yeah, looked up the full review which the X-play review seems to be adapted from. The review is completely obsessed with the story and presentation and very quickly glosses over the actual gameplay mechanics, just enough to make fun of them.)

Other M review aside... E3 coverage... Cunt... statement still stands.

Boney

Banned
Threi said:

i can go on and on but i will just say i can't personally hold weight of the opinions from anyone who has a negative opinion on this game, doesn't matter if its the majority or minority. If the majority of people say this metroid is the worst one in the series than the majority of people have bad taste IMO. This is the metroid i want now, and for the future.
4ba35e76_f221_c585.gif

Tritroid

Well I was just kind of a lurker in this thread until today, but now I've actually gotten to play it. I'm about 7-8 hours in, most of the items I've gotten, and the story (which most complained about in reviews) is actually not that bad.

Pros:

-This game just feels more like Metroid to me than the Prime games did. I loved the Prime series for what it accomplished, but a lot of Metroid: Other M feels like someone took Super Metroid and remade it in mostly 2.5/3D. The colors/graphics are precisely on par with the 2D installments.

-The combat is fluid and fun as hell. I was worried about auto-aiming at first, but not anymore. It actually allows the game to run just like 2D Metroid, especially in tight corridors. The dodge/special moves feel a little too easy to pull off however, so I'm not really a fan of those, but they are flashy and most look awesome. :D

-I swear the game doesn't let you slow down. People who were complaining about too many cutscenes must have been playing an entirely different god damn game, because up to this point (other than the opening), I've seen ONE massive cutscene that really slowed the action down. Other than that, there have been mobs/creatures/insects around every frigging corner, and it amazes me how they introduce NEW creatures at almost every turn. (Even RIGHT after boss battles, which is semi-cruel).

-The difficulty is right where I'd like it to be with Metroid. I've been playing the series since the original, so I'm a veteran and know how to jump right into a Metroid title (especially one that plays like this), but I've still died a few times here and there because enemies were relentless. This is not too easy, and it's not too hard, there's a really good balance.

-I mentioned the story earlier, and yeah it really isn't that bad, in fact I'm kind of liking where it's going. People who said that the voice acting tended to get better further into the game were right too...for some reason the opening acting is really stiff and just plain bad in some areas, but it really does get better.
I'm really really liking the twists though, especially the moment where Samus realizes that delivering the baby metroid to the science research facility at the start of Super Metroid was something that Adam would have been completely opposed to, and may have even helped to fuel the fire behind the Federation pursuing the use of biological weapons; That REALLY tied everything from Super Metroid into Other M, and I loved it.

Cons:

-I'm not a fan of one-shot kills, especially ones you really don't see coming.
I've encountered about 2 moments so far where unless you've played the game or that area prior to your first arrival, you won't have any clue how to avoid an insta-death.
All that really does is aggravate. :mad:

-I like the ambiance in most areas, but they REALLY missed the boat for some great music here. One thing Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and hell even Metroid II had going was some absolutely fantastic music in the majority of the game segments, and Other M definitely falls short in this department. Granted, I can understand if the developers were going for a more forced sense of isolation by incorporating nothing but distant hums, clicks, enemy howls, etc. but there should have been a much better soundtrack, hands down.
Most of the AWESOME music is actually used for the opening title and story summary screens, nothing actually in-game

-I'm kind of mixed regarding the first person controls thus far. Using just the remote and that insanely tiny d-pad had me worried before playing, but that actually feels great. The first person however...for some reason I have yet to actually get a natural flow going when I need to use it. I think it might have something to do with going through 3 Prime installations, and being able to move every which way while in that view, because going into it and being forced to sit there just feels wrong. My feelings towards it might change later, but for now I'm still not really liking it. Also, I really dislike how missiles can ONLY be fired while in the first-person view. :p

Overall I'm loving the game, whole-heartedly. I hardly want to put it down after firing it up.

Gonna go un-pause it now. :lol

Tain

Threi is right. Like I've been saying, this is better than Prime. The dpad controls are great, the aiming is okay, the settings and bosses are great, everything is very well animated, the items are fun to figure out how to reach, and the health regen isn't exactly CoD. Being able to hold my attention during combat does wonders when comparing the game to Prime.

Threi said:

Holy shit and I thought I loved Other M. :lol You're either going to love or hate this game, with a little smattering in between.

I'd definitely like to hear your thoughts if you decide to play hard mode.

Osuwari

SalsaShark said:

it's ironic that this concentration actually makes sense within the series since in another Metroid game it was implied the suit has mini-factories that produce ammo (i think it was in one of the primes where i read that from a scan) and the floating missiles/health after killing an enemy are the truly non-sensical things.

Salsa

Dont really see the point in comparing it with Prime though, they are vastly different games. Sure you might like one more than the other, but BETTER is not really the word. Im glad both games exist, and im glad we didnt got Prime 4.

Retro said:

She also said that Mario Galaxy 2 is too cartoony and not enough 3D

pulga

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Im having trouble sensing if you are being sarcastic, but that was a joke for Snuggler. Im saying it because some people might think those spoilers contain something :lol

Still true though, game´s awesome.

No sarcasm, didn't even read the spoilers, just got hyped by the ""that was so fuckin awesome, best game ever HOLY CRAP ARRGGHH." :lol

FUCK ME I HATE HAVING TO WAIT ANOTHER WEEK :'(

Az987

all good things
Amazon just shipped mine. Should be here tomorrow.

I better get Halo Reach on release day or I'm going to be mad

Tain

donkey show said:
I'd definitely like to hear your thoughts if you decide to play hard mode.

Fuck 'em for locking it off, for starters.

I'd love to play this with zero energy tanks. That's what Hard does, right? That sounds lazier than Ninja Gaiden's difficulties, but it could be fun.

colon

Square Triangle said:
My Wii can't read the disc! =(

I guess I need that Nintendo Wii Lense Cleaner..at least that's what I hope.

Mine doesn't read it either. If you get the lens cleaner please post whether or not it worked for you.

Osuwari

Tain said:

I'd love to play this with zero energy tanks. That's what Hard does, right? That sounds lazier than Ninja Gaiden's difficulties, but it could be fun.

no pickups at all, so no more missiles or accel charges either. oh and you don't stop at 0HP from a lethal hit.

Tain said:

LOL. But I've really enjoyed hard mode so far. Like I mentioned earlier, hard mode should be renamed Metroid Gaiden and I feel it's how Team Ninja really wanted you to experience Other M. The additional damage you take on top of no expansions whatsoever really put you to the test, especially
right before you get the Varia Suit, nerve wracking but awesome
. Soooooo good.

Osuwari

donkey show said:
LOL. But I've really enjoyed hard mode so far. Like I mentioned earlier, hard mode should be renamed Metroid Gaiden and I feel it's how Team Ninja really wanted you to experience Other M. The additional damage you take on top of no expansions whatsoever really put you to the test, especially
right before you get the Varia Suit, nerve wracking but awesome
. Soooooo good.

wait until you get to
ridley and Nightmare
to see real nerve wreckage :D

Boney

Banned
My guess on 1st Person and why it affects some more than others is both on their gaming setup, distance to TV, light from windows, position from the chair both in height and angle.

And how enthusiastic you get in pointing. For it to work, you have to do it fast and precise, and I can see people not having the energy to do it.

Oh and did Abbie play Fusion or not?

colon said:
Mine doesn't read it either. If you get the lens cleaner please post whether or not it worked for you.

It's because the game is on a dual layer DVD. Some Wii's (mainly launch models i think) just won't read them due to a crappy drive. I have the same problem :( Would like to hear if the lens cleaner works too.

kiryogi

Banned
Threi said:

IAWTP. I'd probably be more likely to replay and pick this up again in the future compared to a Prime game. Like I said earlier. This is where Metroid belongs. In third person, and this new visceral action is a very welcome addition that fits Samus. To Other M and beyond! :D Honestly people just needed to play it and screw the reviews.

Top Bottom