• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

zooL said:
here you can see one little texture improvement on flaahgra:

metroid-prime-3-7.jpg

metroid-prime-trilogy-20090522005208733-580x304.jpg

i hope someone is working on a more fleshed-out comparison.
Me too.
Teknoman said:
Dont see why it wouldnt be. It was back on the Cube. MP1 and 3 function just fine for you?
Some user had the same problem back in this thread, and other users confirmed that theirs ran at 480p.

If you have Homebrew Channel/older firmware Perhaps it's due to some wrong IOS or something; I remember something similar happening with little king story and people crying they had no 480p... while the game supported them.

bounchfx

holy shit I hope those comparison pictures are a joke. It's literally just scaled wide instead of actually being corrected to be widescreen - are those real shots

Desiato

bounchfx said:
holy shit I hope those comparison pictures are a joke. It's literally just scaled wide instead of actually being corrected to be widescreen - are those real shots
Only the hud is stretched.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
bounchfx said:

Uh, the HUD is stretched but the actual game is corrected to be widescreen.

upandaway

Man, I just now saw the pics and remembered the radar. Haha.

What a useless thing! I get a kick every time I see it, because I forget it exists every time and in the middle of playing I'm like "wait, since when is that there".

I too think the Wii screenshot above looks worse than the Cube one but then again it seems to have been captured in a way that really brings the jaggies out while the Cube screenshot resembles how MP1 looks on my TV. Oh well, it's no news that modern capturing technologies aren't exactly Wii screenshot-friendly.

For a better comparison, someone with the appropriate equipment needs to capture some decent shots, I suppose.

Meesh

evilromero said:
That's what I'm talking about. The Wii version of Prime and Echoes just looks more washed out than the Cube games.
Yeah, you're right, Prime does look a little washed out...looks really good though in 480 16:9, I preferr this version over the original.

Opened up my copy today, and was so disappointed. There was a crack in the inner plastic, the manual had a crease/rip, and the spine of the steelbook was bent out. I hope I can get an exchange from EB.

Lone_Prodigy said:
Opened up my copy today, and was so disappointed. There was a crack in the inner plastic, the manual had a crease/rip, and the spine of the steelbook was bent out. I hope I can get an exchange from EB.
Mail Service bastards; they also destroyed a Tin Case edition game I ordered last month.

It's still burning inside.
magicalsoundshower said:
For a better comparison, someone with the appropriate equipment needs to capture some decent shots, I suppose.
I could, but:

a) I'm lazy

b) I lack the time

c) I'm in europe and still haven't ordered my NTSC version for it.

I might though, I might, but i was hoping someone else would do it. Count me in as your Plan Z for that, or something.

Osuwari

that first pic of the GC version is not from the final release. the HUD is different.

i still don't know why is it so hard to find decent screenshots of these games. IGN's pics look dreadful. the games look 10x better in motion.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Osuwari said:
that first pic of the GC version is not from the final release. the HUD is different.

i still don't know why is it so hard to find decent screenshots of these games. IGN's pics look dreadful. the games look 10x better in motion.

The way the gamecube and wii's harware is built makes it exceptionally difficult to get good screenshots. It's a technical situation is all that I can recall at the moment.

zooL

Osuwari said:

Hm, you're right. I noticed something was off, but I couldn't put my finger on it.
The texture-change was most likely present in the final GC-version as well...

Damn, i am so curious where those upgraded textures are hidden :)

Metroid Prime is definately the game I am most obsessed with... there are so many different versions with all those little detail changes. Hopefully they will update metroid2002.com with all the version differences of the Trilogy-version... I love watching those comparisons and speedruns!

zooL said:
The texture-change was most likely present in the final GC-version as well...
Aghhhh *grumpy* I'll check for it.

It'll take some hours since I'm busy, but I'll try to post Fraghra pics today.
zooL said:
Damn, i am so curious where those upgraded textures are hidden :)
I know of some; I heard they replaced the varia suit washed out textures in the elevator and stuff. They should look better now.

OMG Aero

zooL said:
Metroid Prime is definately the game I am most obsessed with... there are so many different versions with all those little detail changes. Hopefully they will update metroid2002.com with all the version differences of the Trilogy-version... I love watching those comparisons and speedruns!
From reading the posts in this thread, it sounds like the Trilogy version of Prime 1 is just the PAL version of the game with whatever graphical changes they made.

Isn't the HUD polygonal, though? It kind of looks as if it could be. If it is, stretching it should not be a big deal. The only way to find out is obviously emulating the game(s) in Dolphin and pumping up the resolution to like 2048x1024 pixels.

lostinblue said:
Bad news, my tool doesn't seem to be compatible with Metroid Prime.
Try running it in 50Hz mode, I've read that many capture cards don't like PAL60.

zooL

OMG Aero said:
From reading the posts in this thread, it sounds like the Trilogy version of Prime 1 is just the PAL version of the game with whatever graphical changes they made.

Nope, I read it's a heavily modified US-version (not the players-choice, but the original). The voice-overs from the European version are missing for example.

More details can be read here:
http://forum.metroid2002.com/index.php/topic,8518.0.html

It's a damn shame that all the cool charged-beam effects are missing like the Ice-Beam becoming frozen when charged. I am curious why Retro decided to remove them. Or maybe it was a mistake.

zooL said:
Nope, I read it's a heavily modified US-version (not the players-choice, but the original). The voice-overs from the European version are missing for example.

More details can be read here:
http://forum.metroid2002.com/index.php/topic,8518.0.html

I'm glad they took out the voiceovers. I listened to the voice in the opening scene on Youtube and it just didn't feel right.

upandaway said:
Are you playing on Normal or Veteran?
Since Normal is the new "Easy", it makes sense that some enemies will be gone.

Yeppers, I am indeed playing on veteran. In fact, the only game I can think of that I've ever wanted to try any kind of mode below normal difficulty setting is the arcade rev of Gradius III. :D

autobzooty said:
more start appearing in various places as you progress.

That's sort of what I figured but just wanted to be sure, thanks.

Speaking of creatures in general, it's nice little touches like the Chrysollite bugs on the ice platforms, the old school Zoomers roving the caves in the Tallon overworld, ect. which really drive home the feeling of this IS a Metroid game. This IS Metroid in 3D. Yes it's first person, but we made sure to mix in plenty of nifty platforming for ya. :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
zooL said:
It's a damn shame that all the cool charged-beam effects are missing like the Ice-Beam becoming frozen when charged. I am curious why Retro decided to remove them. Or maybe it was a mistake.

Most likely because some of those effects were just neat tricks that assumed a mostly static/stationary arm cannon (relative to the screen) and would have had to have been totally rebuilt to work with a dynamically moving (relative to the pointer) arm cannon.

zooL

Agent Unknown said:
I'm glad they took out the voiceovers. I listened to the voice in ther opening scene on Youtube and it just didn't feel right.

Yeah, me too. But I wonder if they put them back in for the European version.
Then there would be so many different versions of Metroid Prime... even Retro is confused at this point I bet. :D

Man what I would give to be able to take a look at Retros internal version changelog...

Mejilan said:
Most likely because some of those effects were just neat tricks that assumed a mostly static/stationary arm cannon (relative to the screen) and would have had to have been totally rebuilt to work with a dynamically moving (relative to the pointer) arm cannon.

The Ice-Beam Charge was completely polygonal if I remember correctly... damn why doesn't my Freeloader work with the new Wii-firmware? I would love to play my US-GameCube-Copy for comparisons sake right now.

OMG Aero

zooL said:
Oh, someone earlier in the thread said it had the narrator in this version. What about Samus's suit voice? Is that in this version?

zooL said:
Yeah, me too. But I wonder if they put them back in for the European version.
Then there would be so many different versions of Metroid Prime... even Retro is confused at this point I bet. :D

Man what I would give to be able to take a look at Retros internal version changelog...

Haha. Me too.

zooL

OMG Aero said:
Oh, someone earlier in the thread said it had the narrator in this version. What about Samus's suit voice? Is that in this version?

Nope, missing as well. An other thing that's missing is that you cannot see Samus' right hand in X-Ray mode anymore...

Teknoman

zooL said:
Nope, missing as well. An other thing that's missing is that you cannot see Samus' right hand in X-Ray mode anymore...

By suit voice do you mean when it says "Recorded to log book" or whatever it says when you get a new hint? Thats in the game.

zooL

lostinblue said:
Bad news, my tool doesn't seem to be compatible with Metroid Prime.

Ah, bummer. Thanks for trying anyways.

OMG Aero said:
I hope they are in the European version, it just wouldn't be same without hearing RECORDED TO LOGBOOK. :(

Fired up the game to check... "recorded to log book" voiced by suit is there, but I cannot remember it saying "varia suit malfunction, missile malfunction..." etc. on the Space Frigate like in the PAL-version.

Koodo said:
....the Pirates had managed to get inside the Impact Crater (or close enough) to actually trap Metroid Prime, and in her captivity assimilated some of the technology the Pirates were using (there was actually an entire log about this, I believe). Now we're just left to assume Metroid Prime innately knew all these techniques, which is kinda silly.

I guess the new Pirate log data now does a better job of matching up with the Chozo logs (as they have always said the crater was impenetrable without the Artifacts), and it also makes more sense that they didn't capture Metroid Prime as the creature's log says it is the producer of Phazon (although I don't remember if the original data stated the same). I still prefer how it was set up in the NA version though. :3

Good grief, that was one of the coolest logs in the whole game! I remember it vividly because when I got to the last boss battle it helped make perfect sense story wise as to why a Metroid was firing missiles at me. I was even anticipating it doing that thanks to the log. Come on, Retro. Couldn't you have simply altered the logs so that Prime herself figured a way to burrow down to the impact site on its own after the pirates sealed off her lair? See how simple that was?

(Yikes, only a great game like this could bring out the Comic Book Guy in me) Oh well, we still have our first memories of the original logs and our imaginations. Shame first timers won't get this sort of clarity with the story though.

McNum

zooL said:
Ah, bummer. Thanks for trying anyways.

Fired up the game to check... "recorded to log book" voiced by suit is there, but I cannot remember it saying "varia suit malfunction, missile malfunction..." etc. on the Space Frigate like in the PAL-version.

It does. It goes on about the suit malfunctions for a while, too. It can get a little annoying. "I know I just lost all the cool toys. Shut up!"

evilromero said:
It wasn't before release, it was before the E3 demo since nobody had actually seen the game in action. After the demo everyone was silenced. And the hate was warranted based on the press screens released before E3, which looked bad bad bad.

"Miyamoto had them change it to a first person game?! What the heck?! And who are these guys, anyways?!" That was me. But after I got to play the game for the first time at E3 '02, all doubt I had was completely erased. Especially when I tried the morph ball, I couldn't believe how smoothly it controlled (and am still wowed).

Ah, summer 2002. Going to E3 and getting to play Prime, Sunshine and WW months ahead of time and then seeing Episode II digitally projected on a giant screen at the Chinese Theater. Epic.

zooL

McNum said:
It does. It goes on about the suit malfunctions for a while, too. It can get a little annoying. "I know I just lost all the cool toys. Shut up!"

Shame on me, then. :) The Narrator is definitely missing during the intro. Don't know about the Narrator during the ending, though.

Retro got a LOT of flack back in the day. Thankfully they rose above all the backlash and skepticism from shlubs like me. And if early reports are to be believed, their initial honeymoon with Nintendo during their early dev cycle was NOT pleasant (remember the supposed insider comment of "When Miyamoto first got here, it was like the Emperor arriving at the death star"? :lol ) But I remember Miyamoto complimenting them in an interview shortly after E3 about how "I hold phone meetings with them weekly. Retro has really talented artists" and then I knew everything was gonna be fine. :D

evilromero said:
....the press screens released before E3, which looked bad bad bad.

Yeah, the initial screens were reallly ugly. They didn't look much better than foggy N64 screen grabs and they certainly didn't look like a Metroid sequel. Thank goodness we were oh so very wrong.

ZealousD said:
Yeah dude I don't think there's ever an "explanation" given for the save stations. You scan them and they say "you can save your game here!"

:lol

Anyways, I always just figured they were made by either the Chozo or the Pirates and used as "hibernation tanks" of some kind. And of course the missile stations were made by the pirates. But yeah, how they got down into the impact crater is definitely filed in the "suspension of disbelief" department. :D

OMG Aero

Agent Unknown said:
Anyways, I always just figured they were made by either the Chozo or the Pirates and used as "hibernation tanks" of some kind. And of course the missile stations were made by the pirates. But yeah, how they got down into the impact crater is definitely filed in the "suspension of disbelief" department. :D
The explanation could be the same as why there are power ups that work with the power suit lying around everywhere, the Chozo foresaw that Samus would be there and left save stations (Which in the storyline could just be considered health recharge stations) and missile stations in places to help her out.

btw, what is "the Newborn" (Metroid Prime?) and "the worm" (the Phazon/its influence?) that the Chozo keep referring to in their logs? Never fully understood those references. Samus is the Hatchling right?

OMG Aero said:
The explanation could be the same as why there are power ups that work with the power suit lying around everywhere, the Chozo foresaw that Samus would be there and left save stations (Which in the storyline could just be considered health recharge stations) and missile stations in places to help her out.

There ya go. :) Reminds me, I really like the Chozo log where they comment on how different Samus is from when they raised her as a little girl. "Clothed in ancient machines, her rage is terrible." Can't wait to scan that one again.

Agent Unknown said:
"Miyamoto had them change it to a first person game?! What the heck?! And who are these guys, anyways?!" That was me. But after I got to play the game for the first time at E3 '02, all doubt I had was completely erased. Especially when I tried the morph ball, I couldn't believe how smoothly it controlled (and am still wowed).

Ah, summer 2002. Going to E3 and getting to play Prime, Sunshine and WW months ahead of time and then seeing Episode II digitally projected on a giant screen at the Chinese Theater. Epic.
Nintendo's best E3 in my opinion. Having those three amazing games at one time was the ideal scenario for most fans.

Mejilan

OMG Aero said:

Or, much more likely, when they designed/customized/fitted her Power Suit, they made sure it was compatible with the rest of their existing technology. ;p

evilromero said:
Nintendo's best E3 in my opinion. Having those three amazing games at one time was the ideal scenario for most fans.

I know. When I heard they were debuting Sunshine, Prime AND Wind Waker, I knew I had to go. I went under Shmups/classicgaming.com and he was able to get his pass since he worked at the Electronics dept at Walmart. :p Great experience and we both got to see Miyamoto up close several times. I also got to meet and have my picture taken with Mr. T at the PS2 Rocky press event (coolest guy ever).

When I played Prime I got to meet and visit a bit with Jonathan Dudllak who was doing the preview for the game for EGM at the time. He asked me for my opinion of the game and also had me hold his digital camera for him as he played so he could get some shots of the grapple beam during the escape sequence (which for some reason didn't make it into his article unfortunately. I still have that issue and the article he wrote).

I also got a beta/review copy of Skygunner for the PS2 at Atlus's room which was a nice souveneir which I still have (Atlus's rep at the time was a jerk, btw. He just stared at me blankly when I sincerely thanked him/the company for bringing these sorts of games over to the U.S.). Another sweet memory I have is watching a guy from KCEJ just barely missing the S rank on the snow stage in Contra SS while a Konami of America rep watched and laughed saying "Better luck next time."

It was my first time in California. LA was absolutely ugly and smelly. E3 and the Chinese theater/Hollywood star walk were the only good parts of that city for me. After all three days of the show were over, we spent a day in Santa Monica at the ocean. It was amazing at how much better it was. Everything smelt better and almost no crazies begging us for money. Swimming in the ocean was great.

As much as I really enjoyed the demos for all three games, Prime was my favorite of the show and still beats both Sunshine and WW for lasting quality.

Cygnus X-1

bmf said:
I wonder if their current project has anything to do with Nintendo's football patent. I think remember they had a football game in development before Nintendo bought them...

I doubt. Their skills are best on adventure-related puzzles and mechanics, and dealing with a first person perspective. That's also why the next Metroid, who is a third/first person hybrid perspective metroid, has been given to another team.

I truly believe that Retro simply slowed down their new project, exactly because of this trilogy that has been wiized with some serious in-quality and not just a mere, stupid port. The gameplay of Corruption, but also the substitution of many textures, light effects and more sure required some time.

I am convinced that next year, when nobody will hope anything anymore, they're will come out with a bang, surprising a lot of people.

Im confused.

Im in MP1 and I went to the lava place, did some shit anthen they told me to go to the winter land. I went there, did some shit (got the boost ball) and saw RD's shadow headed somewhere.

Did I miss some boss fights or something? Im I expected to leave the winter land?

And I had to stop playing because its seems that something is wrong with my pointer. >_>

[Nintex]

Black-Wind said:
Im confused.

Im in MP1 and I went to the lava place, did some shit anthen they told me to go to the winter land. I went there, did some shit (got the boost ball) and saw RD's shadow headed somewhere.

Did I miss some boss fights or something? Im I expected to leave the winter land?

And I had to stop playing because its seems that something is wrong with my pointer. >_>
A small spoiler:
Magmoor Caverns(Lava Place) has no boss, so you didn't miss anything

Mejilan

Battery's low?
Those descriptions of your recent experiences don't do the game justice.

When in doubt, enable hint mode and wander about for a bit. Also, consider your most recent suit upgrades and try to think where (in earlier areas) they might apply.

JaseMath

So, given the subtractions of certain effects, the title screen stuff, HUD stretching, etc., etc, what is the GAF consensus of the Wii trilogy? I have all three already - should I dump the original releases and buy the trilogy?

VegaShinra

Black-Wind said:
Im confused.

Buy the strategy guide. It's good to have if you want to get 100% and you think you missed something.

Mejilan

They giveth, and they taketh.
There are some odd effects downgrades for whatever reason, but they've also improved textures, reduced load times, and improved the lighting (nice, understated bloom effects).

Arguably the biggest draw would be the new controls, which are excellent. If you loved that part of MP3, then you'll love them again in MP1 and MP2. If not, then this collection diminishes in certain respects in that classic controls are NOT available.

There are other conveniences and added features as well, such as an MP3-like New Game + mode that allows you to carry over your scans/logbook to future replays, MP3-like achievement tokens (and accordingly, MP3-like unlockables), and a pretty kickass new front-end with unified options/settings that are shared by all 3 games simultaneously.

It's a carefully crafted package of excellent games wrapped around an equally carefully crafted collector's edition steelbook style tin case. At least, if you're in the U.S.

Top Bottom