• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

OMG Aero

Agent Unknown said:
btw, what is "the Newborn" (Metroid Prime?) and "the worm" (the Phazon/its influence?) that the Chozo keep referring to in their logs? Never fully understood those references. Samus is the Hatchling right?
I just looked up Metroid Prime on the Metroid wiki and found this Chozo lore:
The prophecies tell of the coming of the Worm. Born from parasites, nurtured in a poisoned womb, the Worm grows, devouring from within, until the world begins to rot. The words of the seers have come to pass, for there, in the depths of the world, the ravenous Worm lurks and feeds. From the stars it came, blighting Tallon with its Great Poison. We can but watch as the Worm grows, watch and wait. For the prophecies also speak of a great Defender, the one who delivers the world from evil. The final days draw near. Is the Newborn the Defender of which the seers spoke? We shall do all that we can to aid her, for she bears our legacy as she bears the ancient armor and weapons of our people.
I think it's pretty safe to safe the worm is Metroid Prime and the newborn is Samus.

Teknoman

Just play it like any other metroid game. Of course if you've never played one, whenever you get a new ability, just go back to all areas and explore for places to use it. You'll either get more items or you'll find the next progression point.

stalker

Black-Wind said:
Im confused.

Im in MP1 and I went to the lava place, did some shit anthen they told me to go to the winter land. I went there, did some shit (got the boost ball) and saw RD's shadow headed somewhere.

Did I miss some boss fights or something? Im I expected to leave the winter land?

And I had to stop playing because its seems that something is wrong with my pointer. >_>

If I remember correctly, this is the same place I got lost in when I played Metroid Prime some years ago, also surprised at the lack of bosses for some time ...

You need to leave Phendrana when you get a certain item
boost ball
and with it look for another key upgrade you can reach now, on a differente (already visited) location. If you need more help just ask.

[Nintex]

Damn, my playthrough is going to be a breeze, I still remember that part and exactly where I have to go and I haven't played that part in 4 years.

Lost Fragment said:
People still buy strategy guides?

Uh, I have absolutely ZERO qualms needing some handy checklists to help keep track of all the endless scans in these games if that's what you're referring to.

OMG Aero said:
I just looked up Metroid Prime on the Metroid wiki and found this Chozo lore:

I think it's pretty safe to safe the worm is Metroid Prime and the newborn is Samus.

Cool. Makes sense, thanks.

OMG Aero said:
I always had distaste for how they started making Samus a messianic figure. It's such a contrived direction to go in, and once you gone down that road it's hard to ever turn back completely. Ever since Fusion and Prime the series seems to be struggling with how to elaborate upon the Metroid universe without jumping the shark. The one thing that disappoints me about Other M is that they're focusing on literal exposition again; something I was hoping whichever game followed the Prime series would get away from. I always thought the franchise was at its best when it just sort of gave cues that vaguely suggested things and let players fill in the gaps.

Mejilan said:
Battery's low?
Those descriptions of your recent experiences don't do the game justice.
My Wii isn't shy when it comes to telling me I have low battery power. In fact, it started saying that the other day . . . and the controls started forcing me to walk backwards, causeing me to drop to half heath (Flower boss kicked my ass because of that).

Plus, when I go to the Wiimote settings and try to turn the Wiimote theres like lil groups of light balls that come into the back screen for some reason. Never happened to me before.

And it seemed like over time the game would need for my to get closer to the TV for the pointer to work right . . .

Anyway, don't let the loose talk fool you, Im having a blast with this game and I can't believe I never thought about playing it back in the GC days.:D

When in doubt, enable hint mode and wander about for a bit. Also, consider your most recent suit upgrades and try to think where (in earlier areas) they might apply.
Will try.

But I will say its hard to remember whats what. Most of the time I just get lost . . . before fooling around and finding some upgrade.

stalker said:
If I remember correctly, this is the same place I got lost in when I played Metroid Prime some years ago, also surprised at the lack of bosses for some time ...

You need to leave Phendrana when you get a certain item and with it look for another key upgrade you can reach now, on a differente (already visited) location. If you need more help just ask.
Thanks!

neoism

Well I cheated, and fired up Corruption for the first time, man it looks soo much better than MP1, but that's to be expected! Not sure if I can go back, it's the main reason I got this, only played for an hour, I'll try to beat p1 first. Still not sure if I'll have time for P2 with all the games I getting in September! Still this is one of the best packages/deals in gaming, sense The Orange Box!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Black-Wind said:
My Wii isn't shy when it comes to telling me I have low battery power. In fact, it started saying that the other day . . . and the controls started forcing me to walk backwards, causeing me to drop to half heath (Flower boss kicked my ass because of that).

Plus, when I go to the Wiimote settings and try to turn the Wiimote theres like lil groups of light balls that come into the back screen for some reason. Never happened to me before.

And it seemed like over time the game would need for my to get closer to the TV for the pointer to work right . . .

Anyway, don't let the loose talk fool you, Im having a blast with this game and I can't believe I never thought about playing it back in the GC days.:D

That sounds... bizarre. Have you tried calibrating your sensor bar via the Wii's settings menus? Also, do you have some powerful light sources interfering with your signal? Perhaps a huge window nearby reflecting strong light, or a shiny glass table top situated between the wii remote (you) and the sensor bar (tv)?

But I will say its hard to remember whats what. Most of the time I just get lost . . . before fooling around and finding some upgrade.

Part of the franchise's magic, IMHO. Though some upgrades leave more obvious terrain traces than others. If you see something that looks strangely like a half-pipe while exploring, then you know that's where you need to use the boost ball upgrade. As an example. Not all upgrades are quite that obvious though, and even elsewhere you might see that such traces are more cleverly masked...

So metroid prime came with the Leviathan correct? And in the chozo's attempt to fight it, it managed to collect and adapt to their weapons, forcing them to seal it?

In the third one you go to the leviathan's source planet and kill the big guy there ending the phazon spread permanently right?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Gamer @ Heart said:
And in the chozo's attempt to fight it, it managed to collect and adapt to their weapons, forcing them to seal it?

That would normally be a valid explanation, but that brings up another plot hole...

"Our sanctuary grows by the day. We Chozo know much of technology, but we have
chosen to leave it behind on this journey. Our home here on Tallon IV will be a
place of simplicity: structures hewn from the stone, bridges woven with
branches, hallways caressed by pure waters.
We build around the ancient and
noble trees, drawing from their strength and giving them our own in return. All
that is wild will flow around us here: our race will be just one more group of
creatures in the knit of nature. It is our hope that such a state will bring
with it greater wisdom, a greater understanding of the nature of the universe.
Once our city here is complete, we will peer inward and discover the truth."

ZealousD said:
That would normally be a valid explanation, but that brings up another plot hole...

Well, that description doesn't really rule out weapons. Just makes it seem like they would build around nature and embrace the environment rather than mine th planet for metal and and build with that.

Weren't there other logs that mentioned that they tried to fight the infection?

oatmeal

Banned
Picked it up today.

For some reason, MP1 doesn't look like shit on my TV. I was expecting a ton of jaggies like most Wii games...and it's really clean.

WTF!!!

boiled goose

good with gravy
Black-Wind said:

Will try.

Thanks!

there is a light source somewhere. turn off all lights, and close all windows. some reflective surfaces might be the problem as well. check to see what is the problem and fix it.

atbigelow

zooL said:
An other thing that's missing is that you cannot see Samus' right hand in X-Ray mode anymore...
Yes you can. I just played through the whole game over the weekend and you can definitely see her hand.

atbigelow said:
Yes you can. I just played through the whole game over the weekend and you can definitely see her hand.

He said that wrong. In the original version, you can see her skeletal hand. In trilogy, you only see a glowing white hand. Its the same on the left hand only that it is armored.

I spent 10 minutes looking for one of the symbols in that room with a big tree leading to the plant boss. It was infuriating. It was on the wall to my left as you climb up and i missed it like a dozen times. I felt so stupid.

Osuwari

JasonMCG said:
So, given the subtractions of certain effects, the title screen stuff, HUD stretching, etc., etc, what is the GAF consensus of the Wii trilogy? I have all three already - should I dump the original releases and buy the trilogy?

if you like sequence breaks and hate the wii controls, keep your old games.

otherwise, buy the trilogy.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I want to unlock the screen shot tool for use in Metroid Prime 1 and 2... anyone up for swapping MP3 Trilogy Friend Vouchers?

Just started playing through MP2 (missed it the first time around even though I LOVE MP1) and I gotta say......I really really like it so far. I like the world that is crafted.....scanning is a must for the story (obviously).

Anyways, quick question. I'm about 1.5-2 hours in and I am kinda stuck. My question is is it possible to become stuck
in the dark world
and not have the correct power-ups to proceed forward, but also not be able to go back
to the light world
because there is no way to do so?

VerTiGo

Banned
it's been so long since i've played the original mp, even longer since echoes... god, i don't care if this is repacking but the ir controls make this game so much greater. it all feels so fresh again.... best game series of the past two generations.... nintendo just made me their bitch again.

i wonder what kind of promotion nintendo is giving the trilogy. it deserves to be a massive success.

now, i kinda wish retro continued to develop the wii's zelda but also not... why? because i've been a metroid fanboy since the snes... as far as i'm concerned all zelda games suck in comparison. when its zelda vs. metroid -- metroid hands down.

samus 4 life....

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Bought. Maybe this time I won't be all like "you know what? Fuck this." during the part in Echoes where you have to
find the sky temple keys
or whatever

VerTiGo

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
Bought. Maybe this time I won't be all like "you know what? Fuck this." during the part in Echoes where you have to
find the sky temple keys
or whatever

i had an easier time with the end collect quest in echoes that the chozo artifacts in the original prime... bother weren't a problem, i just seemed to stumble across most of them along the way anyway. it's definitely an over exaggerrated issue. anyway, i kinda like echoes the best of all anyway, but that's me...

Koodo

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
Just started playing through MP2 (missed it the first time around even though I LOVE MP1) and I gotta say......I really really like it so far. I like the world that is crafted.....scanning is a must for the story (obviously).

Anyways, quick question. I'm about 1.5-2 hours in and I am kinda stuck. My question is is it possible to become stuck
in the dark world
and not have the correct power-ups to proceed forward, but also not be able to go back
to the light world
because there is no way to do so?
No. During my first playthrough, I thought this had happened to me a few times... but nope, it was just me being stuck (and missing the obvious).

Anyhow, I started Echoes today! This is the third time I'm going through the game, yet I don't remember the game as vividly as I do the first Prime. I blame this on Dark Aether, it's so uninspired (and I actually like the whole damaging atmosphere thing). That aside, I forgot how jaw-dropping the Light side of the planet is. The temple still looks amazing (and I bet Sanctuary Fortress will look even more so).

Replaying awesome games is awesome.

Koodo said:
No. During my first playthrough, I thought this had happened to me a few times... but nope, it was just me being stuck (and missing the obvious).

Anyhow, I started Echoes today! This is the third time I'm going through the game, yet I don't remember the game as vividly as I do the first Prime. I blame this on Dark Aether, it's so uninspired (and I actually like the whole damaging atmosphere thing). That aside, I forgot how jaw-dropping the Light side of the planet is. The temple still looks amazing (and I bet Sanctuary Fortress will look even more so).

Replaying awesome games is awesome.

yep, I figured it out......to only die like 15 min. after my last save. Man I hate going back and replaying parts of games that I've just played.

VerTiGo said:
i had an easier time with the end collect quest in echoes that the chozo artifacts in the original prime... bother weren't a problem, i just seemed to stumble across most of them along the way anyway. it's definitely an over exaggerrated issue. anyway, i kinda like echoes the best of all anyway, but that's me...
This makes no sense to me. In Echoes you have to wait until you get
the dark visor
before you can start picking up
Sky Temple keys
, even if you already know their exact location. By contrast, in Prime you can start collecting artifacts a lot earlier, and even when you don't yet have the item you "technically" need there are often work arounds. Echoes also added the extra step of making you cross reference the names of rooms in the light world with their corresponding areas in the dark world, which is tedious and unnecessarily obtuse. It's not a thought provoking challenge or dependent on any special skill, it's just plain busy work. I full sympathize with Lost Fragment's annoyance.

Worse yet, Echoes has tons of dark temple keys, holo decoders, and energy transfers bogging down progression before you ever even get to the endgame fetch quest. Instead of following the traditional Metroid formula where equipped items themselves act as your "keys" they threw in an extra layer of unnecessary item scavenging that serves no secondary purpose. Why did they trade simple sophistication for more hackneyed conventions? Damned if I know, but by the time you even have the ability to start collecting the
Sky Temple keys (after 2/3 of the game btw)
you've already spent a good chunk of the game hunting down items with absolutely no value to the core gameplay. The last leg is just the icing on the cake, or perhaps a more adept analogy would be the straw that broke the camel's back for people like Lost Fragment when he quit, or me when I try to do additional run throughs.

Just to be clear, I'm not defending Metroid Prime's fetch quest, or Corruption's for that matter. I actually think they're unnecessary filler in all three Prime games, but Echoes is far and away the worst offender of the bunch when it comes to the endgame. It's a pretty routine criticism, and I don't think it's exaggerated or undeserved. There are certainly things that Echoes does best of the three games, but going light on the fetching isn't one of them.

Gwanatu T

dyls said:
Sitting here right now I just realized that I died fighting Flagraah once and I'm almost positive I didn't scan him the second time I fought him and won. Fuck. Looks like no 100% for me unless I want to start over.

I guess I could probably get back to my current state in under an hour. Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure this is exactly what happened to me the first time I played the game.

Yeah there are a LOT of scan points in Prime 1. I'm not sure if some of these are new scan points added for the Trilogy or something, but there's a lot more than I remember. Of course I didn't 100% it before but I'm trying now. I think I screwed up though, because I forgot to scan a machine when it was inactive and generally inactive and active objects have 2 separate scan points. Shame, I'll probably get 99% and know exactly where I screwed up.

EmCeeGramr said:
Part II of IGN's look at Retro and the trilogy: http://wii.ign.com/articles/101/1016511p5.html

This is a fantastic article, much more than I normally expect from IGN. Thanks!

upandaway

Speaking of Lore... what about that one thing in the Japanese site, I think it was like 4-5 months ago, that had a teaser about "the space pirate side-story being revealed"?

I think about a day or something later they revealed that it was a series of log books from the space pirate point of view. I'm going on extremely rough memory here, so I don't know if this was a joke or something that I missed.
If it's true, it wasn't translated, was it? There could be some awesome info there.

y2dvd

I got 2 hours of sleep going into work thanks to this game. @_@

How does the incoming scan trigger? You know where you get say a strong reading of a material in one area, and the system is telling you where the hint is on the world map? It seems to trigger randomly for me.

upandaway

y2dvd said:
I got 2 hours of sleep going into work thanks to this game. @_@

How does the incoming scan trigger? You know where you get say a strong reading of a material in one area, and the system is telling you where the hint is on the world map? It seems to trigger randomly for me.
It's the optional hint system, so logic says it comes when the game thinks you're lost. Certain time limit and distance limit.

lostinblue said:
here you can see one little texture improvement on flaahgra:

metroid-prime-3-7.jpg

metroid-prime-trilogy-20090522005208733-580x304.jpg

i hope someone is working on a more fleshed-out comparison.
But that texture was already replaced in the PAL GC version...

bumpkin

So I finally cracked this puppy open last night and started playing through MP1. I had to call it a day when I got to the save station just before the Parasite Queen; had work in the morning and it was getting late. Though I know it's the worst thing I could probably do, I tried to see if I could spot any of the criticisms that I've been reading in this thread about what Retro did to the game from its 'Cube rendition. For the most part I don't think that any have been a huge hindrance...

Cropped 16:9: It's possible that I haven't gotten to a cut-scene where this makes a marked difference, but I don't think it's *hurt* the game at all. Unless I turned on MP1 on the 'Cube, I don't think I'd notice the stretched HUD; it's been a long ass time and I've more or less forgotten how it looked before.

"Washed-out" colors: This may be the only thing that I have noticed... Inside the space station, the areas where you're making your way around the railings and such looks grayed to me. But again, I don't remember the original that well. It might be nothing.

No heat ripple after rapid firing: This is another one of those "I don't remember how it used to be," but if it is gone, it's a shame. I thought that was a cool effect.

480p to 480i downgrade: I saw one or two posts where people said the game was starting in 480p and then switching to 480i when they started playing any of the games. Mine didn't switch and stayed in 480p.

Arren

I'm really anticipating this release, since it's been quite a while since I last played any of the 3 Primes.
This would provide the perfect occasion to delve back into this beautiful series.

By the way, was it ever confirmed that the PAL version wouldn't retain the tin case?

upandaway

Arren said:
By the way, was it ever confirmed that the PAL version wouldn't retain the tin case?
Yep, multiple times from different sources.

I just got the "in billing" email from my importer. That means it should be here this week. Badass.
I hope I'll be able to sort out my Wii region or something, otherwise I'll have to play 3 using the original disc till I sort it out the big way.
(Just for the record, I wouldn't be going through this trouble for the tin case if importing from an European country wasn't as expensive as it actually is)

Edit:
CE is the only version man. Aren't these things in the OP yet? Where's the dude who did the thread?

MoxManiac

Hey guys, is the CE the only edition of the game? And is it a limited thing? I saw the CE at a local chain, thought about getting it...

idofriar1313 said:
From reading this thread, I see that Retro took out little tiny things from the original games. those things I didn't really notice, but THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sUPR831LvQ

THAT is notable.

It wouldn't bother me if the NO wasn't so out of place. I almost laughed when he said it.
Wow that's a really stupid change. When I first heard him say that in the original, I was surprised Nintendo let that through one of their own games, but meh.

MoxManiac said:
Hey guys, is the CE the only edition of the game? And is it a limited thing? I saw the CE at a local chain, thought about getting it...
Yeah, right now there is only the CE. Might be limited.

How is the elevator loading times? I know the PAL versions made it a little longer because there was a loading crash bug which was possible in the faster-loading NTSC versions, so to avoid it they just made it load slower or something. If this wii version is using the pal extras too like slightly better textures in places and added detail to certain areas, are the wii loading times long or feel rather quick?

upandaway

Diablohead said:
How is the elevator loading times? I know the PAL versions made it a little longer because there was a loading crash bug which was possible in the faster-loading NTSC versions, so to avoid it they just made it load slower or something. If this wii version is using the pal extras too like slightly better textures in places and added detail to certain areas, are the wii loading times long or feel rather quick?
They said that along with better textures they also 'significantly' made the loading times better.

Diablohead said:
I haven't noticed a difference with the elevators, though I have noticed that some doors open faster.

Iron Toaster said:
I haven't noticed a difference with the elevators, though I have noticed that some doors open faster.
AH yes waiting for doors, not a killer but having to stop briefly at nearly every door was annoying.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Gamer @ Heart said:
So metroid prime came with the Leviathan correct? And in the chozo's attempt to fight it, it managed to collect and adapt to their weapons, forcing them to seal it?

In the third one you go to the leviathan's source planet and kill the big guy there ending the phazon spread permanently right?

I was reading all about this stuff yesterday actually in an attempt to understand it.

In the original NTSC Prime there were references to Metroid Prime battling with the Space Pirates, and assimilating many of their weapons. This has since been retconned out of existence; the new canon (starting with the PAL release and reappearing in all versions of the trilogy) is that neither the Chozo nor Pirates ever have any firsthand experience with Prime. In fact, the Chozo only seal away the Leviathan (the Worm), and have no idea Prime exists. Probably because Prime DIDN'T exist then. When the pirates set up shop (thus bringing Metroids to the planet for the first time) one of their Metroids is attracted to the Leviathan to be its guardian (like what happens in Prime 3), consumes huge amounts of Phazon (eventually consuming the majority of the Leviathan itself), and becomes Prime. The new Pirate scans only say that they recently noticed that there was a lifeform growing within the crater, and that they'd be able to see what it was when they finally break in there.

There's speculation regarding those Metroid-Prime-looking husks in the Genesis Chamber on Phaaze at the end of Prime 3. Either they're husks of Metroids that were brought to Phaze by Prime and the pirates that have all evolved along similar lines due to phazon consumption, or they're actually Leviathan husks (it's the Leviathan incubation room after all) and Metroid Prime in Prime 1 was actually wearing the skin of the Leviathan that collided with Tallon IV after it ate most of its body up. We'll likely never have a clear answer for that one, unless someone manages to talk to Retro staff.

Unrelated: I swear to god I am sitting at work here and I hear a missile expansion pulsing somewhere. This happened way back when I started playing Prime on the GameCube, too. I HEAR THEM EVERYWHERE OH GOD-

Top Bottom