• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Christine

Probably what happened with the cannon special effects is that they were built for an arm cannon that was fixed in a static position on-screen, and they looked bad or broken as the cannon followed the pointer. They made a decision that the work required to rebuild those effects wasn't worth it to retain them.

I'd call it "lazy", rather than silly or arbitrary.

upandaway said:
Even though you are still wrong regarding the music, let's say you were right.

The actual menu is still far superior in 2, and you have no possible way of proving that wrong.
Primes 2's menu is by far my most favorite menu in a game, ever. I was disappointed when corruption came out and it had such a bland, ordinary menu type.

nightez said:
How do you change beans in the new Wii version?

Hold + and then the four beams will appear on the screen, just move the cursor over the beam you want. Same with visors, only with holding -.

TwinIonEngines said:
Probably what happened with the cannon special effects is that they were built for an arm cannon that was fixed in a static position on-screen, and they looked bad or broken as the cannon followed the pointer. They made a decision that the work required to rebuild those effects wasn't worth it to retain them.

I'd call it "lazy", rather than silly or arbitrary.

Yeah thats exactly what I'm thinking. Or that they had to remove some things to fit all three games on one disc. While I do miss them, the motion controls are so awesome it really makes up for it.

Osuwari

Iron Toaster said:
I remember seeing her hand and arm bones as well, when you had the X-Ray Visor on and was hurt, she pulled her arm up and could see her hand and arm bones.

this made me remember the bones.
i think they're not very obvious in the regular arm cannon position. in mp3 they are much more noticeable in comparison.

Giolon

You can still see Samus's gun "hand poses" and her bones with the X-Ray vison in MP1 on the MPT disc. Get hit by some Chozo Ghost blasts and she'll put her hand in front of her face and you can see her bones clearly.

I always just marvel at the effect when I'm playing MP1 and believe me, I'd have been crushed if it wasn't there.

ciD_Vain

_mo said:
Anyone else notice these additional differences in the Prime 1 CE version?

1. All the graphical effects on the arm cannon have been removed, i.e. the cannon doesn't frost over when the ice beam is fired and the uncharged ice beam doesn't cast light, light beams do not come out from charged shots, the barrel doesn't smoke when the gun overheats from rapid fire, etc.

2. When using the X-Ray visor you don't see the bone structure in Samus's hand.

Besides the previously mentioned water effect removal has anyone noticed anything else? I'm surprised no one has brought it up in any reviews.
Yes it still does

Culex

Banned
Just ordered this game from Amazon with the free 6-9 day shipping. I'm off from work Sep 7 through 10th, so I'm REALLY hoping i see it by then!

Tendo

My goodness I forgot how great the prime games were. I mean, I always had them in my top games of all time, but the atmosphere and music are unlike anything I can place in another game. The art direction makes these games some of the best looking games even today. Best 50 dollars I've spent in a long time.

tim1138

Finally pulled myself away from Batman long enough to start my play through of Prime 1. A little over an hour in and I'm up to the Magmoor Caverns, I have no clue how that is time wise, its been ages since I played Prime 1 (or 2 for that matter). It's amazing how good the original still looks--puts some 4rd party Wii games to absolute shame.

Synless

Wowbagger said:
Why would they remove the water effect? Pretty sure it was in MP3. :/
I just put in the original Prime for the Gamecube and I can verify right now that the water effect is gone. In the Gamecube version it does create ripples that the Wii version does not.

Finally got the chance to seriously dig into Prime the last few days, started a new file last night and today I got to the Magmoor caverns (that music when you first go down the elevator lifts and into the lava tunnels is so amazingly creepy and ominous). As others have said, Retro's gameplay programmers and art staff did a fantastic job that still holds up today seven years later. I'm amazed at how every single room has an incredible attention to detail. Being able to re-experience the game in true widescreen in 480p on my plasma is awesome.

After my initial test play Tuesday night, I decided for my new file I'd switch the aim back to standard lock on. By the time I got to the war wasp battles with the mecha totem and the incinerator last night, I was mighty glad I had done just that. It really is true that key segments of this game were built around quick lock ons. Just being able to aim while walking/running with the wiimote (which feels great btw) is enough for me.

I also bought the Prima guide which has a nice checklist for each area of all the scans you need to get (and when to get the one-timers). So far I've been able to get most of the items on my own but it will come in handy later for the stragglers that I could never figure out back in the day (when I beat it years ago I got 86% so I at least got to see the first secret ending when she takes off her helmet).

Anyways, love, love, love this collection.

oatmeal

Banned
Whoops!

whoops.jpg

Sorry, still LTTP on some parts of this thread. Anyways.....they took out the effect of the cannon frosting over when you use the Ice Beam??? Retro, why the heck would you do that?! "Special edition" means FIXING things that NEED fixing, not also taking out cool, harmless things that we like which add a little "snap" to our experience. edit: TwinIonEngine's theory does make sense though.

But now I'm no longer quite as highly anticipating getting my Ice Beam again as I was before. :(

Also, anybody notice when looking up and down that you can see little translucent CPU wires added at the very upper and lower edges of the HUD/helmet? It was a bit distracting at first but now I kinda like it.

upandaway

Iron Toaster said:
They didn't really improve the textures at all; I haven't noticed anything really different.
Well, they said they did. They also said they improved bloom lighting.
And other people noticed it as well.

No improved textures, AFAIK, but I think Metroid Prime 1 didn't have bloom lighting and they added it in for the trilogy. It's been a few years since I've played the cube version, but I didn't see any huge differences apart from the widescreen.

Really people, widescreen should be enough.

Just got to Phendrana Drifts, is it just me or should there be more Sheegoths? In the GC rev I remember there being Sheegoths in the main hub hiding either by the ice shores or the cave by the save station but the only ones I've encountered so far are when I jumped up to the Ice Ruins. Hope this isn't something else in the game they've messed with (I'm playing on veteran).

upandaway

Agent Unknown said:
Just got to Phendrana Drifts, is it just me or should there be more Sheegoths? In the GC rev I remember there being Sheegoths hiding either by the ice shores or the cave by the save station but the only ones I've encountered so far were when I jumped up to the Ice Ruins.
Are you playing on Normal or Veteran?
Since Normal is the new "Easy", it makes sense that some enemies will be gone.

Agent Unknown said:
Just got to Phendrana Drifts, is it just me or should there be more Sheegoths? In the GC rev I remember there being Sheegoths in the main hub hiding either by the ice shores or the cave by the save station but the only ones I've encountered so far are when I jumped up to the Ice Ruins. Hope this isn't something else in the game they've messed with (I'm playing on veteran).

more start appearing in various places as you progress.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
soldat7 said:
I'll tell you what's annoying: The HUD. I turned off the visor and the helmet and wow, what a difference. No more motion sickness for me and I can actually see the beautiful levels now. My enjoyment has literally doubled.

Isn't there an option to lock the HUD so there's no delay?

Morts

Alright, I picked up a Chozo Artifact before I scanned the "hint" for it (it wasn't available when I scanned the others, only a few were). Am I screwed out of getting 100% scans now?

zigg said:
Fun fact (theory?) I found out when I was waiting for LKS to arrive. Amazon'll say they've "shipped" something, but in reality it can sit on a trailer for days waiting for other packages from the same zone to go with. USPS gives Amazon discounts for doing this presorting.

It can take awhile, too...
I refuse to order games from Amazon because they take absolutely forever. I'm impatient.

Cygnus X-1

I'm really sad mostly when I heard people saying things like "Retro farewell". "Goodbye Retro Studios" or something like that.

This trilogy shows exactly the incredible amount of work they put into this series and it is a fantastic excuse to replay all three games once again. The controls and the game design have still a so dephtness that it can compensate more then enough the old graphical engine they used.
I'm sure that Retro's next game will be worth playing as it was with the Prime series.

Cygnus X-1 said:
I'm really sad mostly when I heard people saying things like "Retro farewell". "Goodbye Retro Studios" or something like that.

This trilogy shows exactly the incredible amount of work they put into this series and it is a fantastic excuse to replay all three games once again. The controls and the game design have still a so dephtness that it can compensate more then enough the old graphical engine they used.
I'm sure that Retro's next game will be worth playing as it was with the Prime series.
I wonder if their current project has anything to do with Nintendo's football patent. I think remember they had a football game in development before Nintendo bought them...

ZealousD

Morts said:
Alright, I picked up a Chozo Artifact before I scanned the "hint" for it (it wasn't available when I scanned the others, only a few were). Am I screwed out of getting 100% scans now?

I think Artifacts are automatically added to your logbook if you pick one up.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
They certainly didn't improve all of the textures in MP1 and MP2, but I'm pretty sure that they said that they swapped out some of the more isolated, fugly textures, to give the game a cleaner, more consistent look.

Koodo

Banned
What's the general consensus regarding the altered Log data in the first Prime? Some members here have said that this isn't anything new as it now matches the PAL version of the game. However, I think the changes leave some incidents regarding Metroid Prime unexplained, namely how the beast acquired all the weaponry at her disposal. Before, the Pirates had managed to get inside the Impact Crater (or close enough) to actually trap Metroid Prime, and in her captivity assimilated some of the technology the Pirates were using (there was actually an entire log about this, I believe). Now we're just left to assume Metroid Prime innately knew all these techniques, which is kinda silly.

I guess the new Pirate log data now does a better job of matching up with the Chozo logs (as they have always said the crater was impenetrable without the Artifacts), and it also makes more sense that they didn't capture Metroid Prime as the creature's log says it is the producer of Phazon (although I don't remember if the original data stated the same). I still prefer how it was set up in the NA version though. :3

p.s. bloom lighting has indeed been added to Prime 1, although I only noticed it during the fight against Thardus (and it's really noticeable there).

Agent Unknown said:
They don't appear in the Shorelines until you defeat the Sheegoth in the chapel, I believe (or acquire one of the weapons in the area). I'm pretty sure this is how it was in the original.

MiniDitka

soldat7 said:
I'll tell you what's annoying: The HUD. I turned off the visor and the helmet and wow, what a difference. No more motion sickness for me and I can actually see the beautiful levels now. My enjoyment has literally doubled.

Did the same thing.
uvs090830-018.jpg

ZealousD

Koodo said:
Now we're just left to assume Metroid Prime innately knew all these techniques, which is kinda silly.

Well the Hopping Metroids in Corruption look pretty damn similar to Metroid Prime. The techniques used are generally elemental (lightning, ice, fire, light) and so I don't think it's too big of a stretch to assume that they're natural mutations. The scan of Metroid Prime does say that it's a "genetic" flaw that certain weapons become more effective in certain forms. Although the "mechanical" weapon bit has to be solved then...

Koodo

Banned
ZealousD said:
Well the Hopping Metroids in Corruption look pretty damn similar to Metroid Prime. The techniques used are generally elemental (lightning, ice, fire, light) and so I don't think it's too big of a stretch to assume that they're natural mutations. The scan of Metroid Prime does say that it's a "genetic" flaw that certain weapons become more effective in certain forms. Although the "mechanical" weapon bit has to be solved then...
Yeah, I was pretty much referring to the mechanical weapons. It made total sense with the original logs, but now it's a bit iffy.

Another thing that slightly irked me was the presence of the Missile and Save stations in the crater, which originally made sense as well (the Pirates might've left them there), but now they seem to be down there just because it's a videogame convention (and that's a bit disappointing, because honestly, Metroid Prime is one of the few games where almost everything in its fictional world makes sense, mostly due to the insane attention to detail). This is a very silly nitpick of mine though. :p

neoism

Man, I played a few hours of P1, these controls are out of this world, it took a little while, I beat the first boss and got the suit back. I'll probably just run through them, I really want to play 3, and Muramasa comes in just a few weeks. Seriously though I'll never be able to play them any other way again!

EatChildren said:
If you remember, in Prime 1 you could dynamically move the water. Rolling around shallow water in a ball was the best example, as the water would ripple and wave in 3D. Was a simple but cool effect. It’s not in the Trilogy version, and there are a couple of other effects missing too, such as the a couple of particle effects to do with the arm cannon’s energy charge, as well as the heat haze effect from when firing quickly and excessively.

The latter is a case of effect incompatibility with control changes. While the barrel of the gun hazed in Prime 1, it was actually just a layered effect over the screen, made to look like it was coming out of the gun. It worked because the gun remained static for 99% of the game. With the Trilogy control’s the gun moves around, so the haze effect would need to be programmed to function as if it were actually coming out of the gun.

Simple little things like this don’t effect gameplay at all, but I’m a stickler for perfection and it’s a tad annoying these features are missing, if just because it makes it seem like they’re not the ‘complete’ versions.

Can anyone confirm if Ridley’s stomp attack is in? I’m going to be very disappointed if they’ve cut it. It’s one thing to cut or forget about minor graphical effects, but it’s another to scrap an enemy’s attack.

The static water was only in the US version i think? Only Pal and later the japanese versions had any movement at all...

gregor7777 said:
In general, most Wii games look like total shit on my LCD, component or not. This has been the case for every HDTV I've seen the Wii on.

SMG looked good, however. MP3 looked OK at times.

Cool, I'll give MP1 a shot then. MP3 was such a bore. I hated it.
As far as that goes, I totally agree. It is bearable on my plasma since the hertz are so high and Plasma tend to just conceal more of the imperfections due to how the gas is charged for a On/Off pixel where as LCD's twist pixels to get them to do their thing and most of them cannot keep up and that is where you see the "screen-door effect" or the terrible amounts of blocks when a lot of fast action is happening.

The only TV this game looks alright on is my 34 inch Sony Bravia CRT HDTV. And well that is because CRT's still out perform DLP, Plasma and LCD/LED TV's by a wide margin still, but I have noticed that a lot of gamecube games in general suffer from this, PS2 is even worse on an LCD.

I forgot how good the original Prime is. Probably the best game of last generation, if not in the top 5. All the hate this game got before release too..

ZealousD

Koodo said:
Another thing that slightly irked me was the presence of the Missile and Save stations in the crater, which originally made sense as well (the Pirates might've left them there), but now they seem to be down there just because it's a videogame convention (and that's a bit disappointing, because honestly, Metroid Prime is one of the few games where almost everything in its fictional world makes sense, mostly due to the insane attention to detail). This is a very silly nitpick of mine though. :p

Yeah dude I don't think there's ever an "explanation" given for the save stations. You scan them and they say "you can save your game here!"

SonOfABeep said:
I forgot how good the original Prime is. Probably the best game of last generation, if not in the top 5. All the hate this game got before release too..
It wasn't before release, it was before the E3 demo since nobody had actually seen the game in action. After the demo everyone was silenced. And the hate was warranted based on the press screens released before E3, which looked bad bad bad.

evilromero said:
It wasn't before release, it was before the E3 demo since nobody had actually seen the game in action. After the demo everyone was silenced. And the hate was warranted based on the press screens released before E3, which looked bad bad bad.
It was also due to the shock of it being first person; some skepticism remained until the game launch.

Top Bottom