• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

RedShift

Can't wait for this. Haven't really been into gaming too much recently apart from on my iTouch, but when this gets to Europe I am so in.

Better try and sell MP3 somewhere soon.

zigg

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I'm going crazy waiting for my order.

Fun fact (theory?) I found out when I was waiting for LKS to arrive. Amazon'll say they've "shipped" something, but in reality it can sit on a trailer for days waiting for other packages from the same zone to go with. USPS gives Amazon discounts for doing this presorting.

It can take awhile, too...

upandaway

zigg said:
Fun fact (theory?) I found out when I was waiting for LKS to arrive. Amazon'll say they've "shipped" something, but in reality it can sit on a trailer for days waiting for other packages from the same zone to go with. USPS gives Amazon discounts for doing this presorting.

It can take awhile, too...
Why would they have problem finding shipments for this game, though? A shipment is like, what, 50 copies?

Sagitario

ZealousD said:
Looks like it fills the screen to me.

Thanks...

For the new page (to get more confirmation):
Farore said:
Question for the people playing it:

- Do the games fill the screen completely [full 640x480 (either 16:9 or 4:3) resolution like Galaxy, Pikmin or Wario Land] or do they have black bars on the sides [overscan area like Okami, de Blob, Tales]?

Anyone?

Metroid Prime is still incredibly atmospheric. How is it I can find myself playing this game for the millionth time and still can't get myself to complete many recent (even highly acclaimed) games?

DuMaurier

I picked up the trilogy yesterday and played about an hour and a half of the first one. It's bloody fantastic. I just got the morph ball and ended up in same crazy ass super hot area that made poor Samus burn. Time for some backtracking.

And I'm completely obsessed with scanning everything.

I only played a few hours of MP3 when it came out so I'm more or less a Metroid Prime virgin.

Farore said:
Thanks...

For the new page (to get more confirmation):

Anyone?
Took this for you to see:

3506iyv.jpg

Anyone else turn off free aim in lock on mode? I hated how my first shots were always off when playing the original. It plays so much better now because its the way the original was designed in my opinion.

I noticed they changed the Pirate Data in MP1 to match the PAL version; in my original copy the Pirate Data mentions they found Metroid Prime, but now there's nothing that says this and it sounds like they never even reached the crater. Also, there's lots more Fission Metroids around (sorry if this was already mentioned).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Jsut reading the IGN article, would love to see what Retro are working on , my Guess is either Star Fox or F-Zero. Those games would suit Retro's style

I just beat Metroid Prime 1. Opted not to save so I could go back and get 100% completion, but I saved the game after beating Meta Ridley, and it looked like the cave to go to the rest of the world was blocked off at that point. I didn't check, but can someone confirm this for me?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's a bit annoying that some of the graphical details are missing (eg: interactive water). It doesn't effect gameplay, but it's just one of those little things I would have liked to make it into the final game.

soldat7

Scalpel Knight said:

I'll tell you what's annoying: The HUD. I turned off the visor and the helmet and wow, what a difference. No more motion sickness for me and I can actually see the beautiful levels now. My enjoyment has literally doubled.

upandaway

EatChildren said:
It's a bit annoying that some of the graphical details are missing (eg: interactive water). It doesn't effect gameplay, but it's just one of those little things I would have liked to make it into the final game.
Wait what?
You mean they removed whatever little interactive water was there, or they just didn't expand on it where it fits?

Osuwari

Gamer @ Heart said:
Anyone else turn off free aim in lock on mode? I hated how my first shots were always off when playing the original. It plays so much better now because its the way the original was designed in my opinion.

me.
i don't get what's the point of it. why lock onto things if you still have to aim? if i wanted to aim manually, i would just not lock onto anything.
also, the beams and enemies in the first 2 games were made for the old aim-lock mechanics so you end up losing acurracy with that option.

Veal

EatChildren said:
I noticed that too. I wonder what changed in the engine to make them change the 3d water?

Osuwari

autobzooty said:
I just beat Metroid Prime 1. Opted not to save so I could go back and get 100% completion, but I saved the game after beating Meta Ridley, and it looked like the cave to go to the rest of the world was blocked off at that point. I didn't check, but can someone confirm this for me?

you can step onto a portal to go back. it doesn't look very obvious but it is there next to the save station to the right.

Osuwari

Giolon said:
Fuck fuck fuck I hate that. One more question: if you say NO, does it still give you your credit for beating the game/getting 100% scans for unlocking things?

hmm... i don't know. i saved when i got 100% scans.

what i know is that if you beat the game but don't save, the game won't count that you beat it in the selected difficulty. i beat mp2 on hard but didn't save to keep the file just before the last bosses and the dot that indicates hard mode completion didn't fill out.

Osuwari said:
me.
i don't get what's the point of it. why lock onto things if you still have to aim? if i wanted to aim manually, i would just not lock onto anything.
also, the beams and enemies in the first 2 games were made for the old aim-lock mechanics so you end up losing acurracy with that option.
In my opinion, even in Prime 3, locking on to some enemies is still essential even though you have free aim. Locking on makes circling enemies a lot easier and also enables you to strafe dash by mashing B which really helps when fighting some bosses. During my first time through I somehow missed the game's reminder that you can strafe dash which pops up briefly when you fight the first miniboss (MP3 was my first Prime game and I'm usually too lazy to read through manuals thoroughly) so the final boss kept handing my ass to me. When I finally figured out how strafe dashing worked, I eventually beat him.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
upandaway said:
Wait what?
You mean they removed whatever little interactive water was there, or they just didn't expand on it where it fits?

If you remember, in Prime 1 you could dynamically move the water. Rolling around shallow water in a ball was the best example, as the water would ripple and wave in 3D. Was a simple but cool effect. It’s not in the Trilogy version, and there are a couple of other effects missing too, such as the a couple of particle effects to do with the arm cannon’s energy charge, as well as the heat haze effect from when firing quickly and excessively.

The latter is a case of effect incompatibility with control changes. While the barrel of the gun hazed in Prime 1, it was actually just a layered effect over the screen, made to look like it was coming out of the gun. It worked because the gun remained static for 99% of the game. With the Trilogy control’s the gun moves around, so the haze effect would need to be programmed to function as if it were actually coming out of the gun.

Simple little things like this don’t effect gameplay at all, but I’m a stickler for perfection and it’s a tad annoying these features are missing, if just because it makes it seem like they’re not the ‘complete’ versions.

Can anyone confirm if Ridley’s stomp attack is in? I’m going to be very disappointed if they’ve cut it. It’s one thing to cut or forget about minor graphical effects, but it’s another to scrap an enemy’s attack.

upandaway

Shiggy said:
Finally, a confirmation from inside Nintendo about this rumor!

EatChildren: That's really, really weird. What's going on? Why would they do that?
I don't mind THAT much, but the detail was really something to brag about in that game. Those things are like as if they pulled out Samus' face reflection.
Combine that with the title screen out, and the compilation might not be as perfect as it could have been.

Spocker said:
Just got a reply from the Swedish distributor, Bergsala.

There will be no tin case for the European version, it will instead come in a standard plastic case with an embossed slipcase. The Art folder is included, just like in america.

Ok, fuck you NOE. Im buying the american game.
A friend of mine is going to New York and he said he would be buying a present from the Nintendo World Store for me.
Now I know what I want him to buy for me.

_mo

Anyone else notice these additional differences in the Prime 1 CE version?

1. All the graphical effects on the arm cannon have been removed, i.e. the cannon doesn't frost over when the ice beam is fired and the uncharged ice beam doesn't cast light, light beams do not come out from charged shots, the barrel doesn't smoke when the gun overheats from rapid fire, etc.

2. When using the X-Ray visor you don't see the bone structure in Samus's hand.

Besides the previously mentioned water effect removal has anyone noticed anything else? I'm surprised no one has brought it up in any reviews.

While the new overall menu system is quick and easy for managing 3 different games and their saves, i really really missed not having the original primes main menu with the amazing music and the metriod scan. Best menu screen in a game imo.

upandaway

Gamer @ Heart said:
While the new overall menu system is quick and easy for managing 3 different games and their saves, i really really missed not having the original primes main menu with the amazing music and the metriod scan. Best menu screen in a game imo.
Metroid Prime 2's main menu was better and had better music. Your theory is flawed.

EatChildren said:
If you remember, in Prime 1 you could dynamically move the water. Rolling around shallow water in a ball was the best example, as the water would ripple and wave in 3D. Was a simple but cool effect. It’s not in the Trilogy version, and there are a couple of other effects missing too, such as the a couple of particle effects to do with the arm cannon’s energy charge, as well as the heat haze effect from when firing quickly and excessively.

The latter is a case of effect incompatibility with control changes. While the barrel of the gun hazed in Prime 1, it was actually just a layered effect over the screen, made to look like it was coming out of the gun. It worked because the gun remained static for 99% of the game. With the Trilogy control’s the gun moves around, so the haze effect would need to be programmed to function as if it were actually coming out of the gun.

Simple little things like this don’t effect gameplay at all, but I’m a stickler for perfection and it’s a tad annoying these features are missing, if just because it makes it seem like they’re not the ‘complete’ versions.

Can anyone confirm if Ridley’s stomp attack is in? I’m going to be very disappointed if they’ve cut it. It’s one thing to cut or forget about minor graphical effects, but it’s another to scrap an enemy’s attack.

Ridley's stomp attack is in.

Osuwari

_mo said:
Anyone else notice these additional differences in the Prime 1 CE version?

1. All the graphical effects on the arm cannon have been removed, i.e. the cannon doesn't frost over when the ice beam is fired and the uncharged ice beam doesn't cast light, light beams do not come out from charged shots, the barrel doesn't smoke when the gun overheats from rapid fire, etc.

2. When using the X-Ray visor you don't see the bone structure in Samus's hand.

Besides the previously mentioned water effect removal has anyone noticed anything else? I'm surprised no one has brought it up in any reviews.

uh... i think her bones were never visible in mp1. they're visible in mp3...
i would need to recheck the GC version but i'm 70% sure her bones couldn't be seen.

if they removed the freeze effect from the ice beam in this version, it is odd since the jp one had it.

Osuwari said:
i would need to recheck the GC version but i'm 70% sure her bones couldn't be seen.

if they removed the freeze effect from the ice beam in this version, it is odd since the jp one had it.

You could see her bones in MP1.

I bought MP1 for the GC a few weeks ago and loved it! In fact I loved it so much that I think I'm going to buy this trilogy pack without even owning a Wii, cause I'm afraid that when I do get a Wii this will be really hard to find. What do you guys think?

Osuwari said:

The Ice Beam doesn't freeze over when its charged in the Trilogy, even though the sound effect is still there.

EatChildren

Osuwari said:

I'm 100% sure they could be seen, as I loved the little details they put in, such as her finger pose changing for each cannon type.

Very silly that it's gone, along with some effects. As fantastic as this package looks to be, it's missing touches like this that disappointment and make me feel it's not a 'true' definitive version.

EatChildren said:
I'm 100% sure they could be seen, as I loved the little details they put in, such as her finger pose changing for each cannon type.

Very silly that it's gone, along with some effects. As fantastic as this package looks to be, it's missing touches like this that disappointment and make me feel it's not a 'true' definitive version.
I remember seeing her hand and arm bones as well, when you had the X-Ray Visor on and was hurt, she pulled her arm up and could see her hand and arm bones.

ryan-ts

EatChildren said:

The team may had to remove a couple things in order to get wii controls to work effectively in the game and even with a couple effects missing it's the definitive version by a mile.

EatChildren

ryan-ts said:
The team may had to remove a couple things in order to get wii controls to work effectively in the game and even with a couple effects missing it's the definitive version by a mile.

I know, but I'm a stickler for perfection. None of the missing effects have any bearing on gameplay, but they were examples of polish and detail that went into the visuals.

I figure most of the missing effects, at least all of the first person ones, are due to rendering tricks from the original’s that were dedicated to static and game-controlled gun placement on the screen, with the now totally dynamic and player-controlled gun aiming requiring these effects to be pretty much built from the ground up, something which they obviously didn’t feel the need to do.

The X-Ray arm, for example, is probably just mapped onto the screen and moves in correspondence with player damage and mode changing. To work in the Trilogy they’d need to rebuild the effect as an actual ‘3D’ arm that moves along with everything else. Doable, just not something they felt necessary.

Top Bottom