• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

soldat7

magicalsoundshower said:
By the way, soldat7, if you have hints on, the game will actually tell you where to go on the map if you wander around too long. It's still somewhat subtle, though.

Yeah I've enabled it now. Better than nothing!

I'm thinking of picking this up, but as an owner and lover all the Prime-games I'm wondering if the new controls/16:9 really improve the games enough to justify buying them again?
I'm a bit dissapointed about the downgraded/removed effects too, seeing these are supposed to be the ultimate versions and all. But I guess you don't notice that stuff after awhile?

neoism

Man, I'm loving Corruption, sooo good! I just got the Grapple-beam!
I can't believe you kill Ridley and get the Phazon-beam within the first 2 hours
:lol :lol I can only imagine what's to come!

Osuwari

neoism said:
Man, I'm loving Corruption, sooo good! I just got the Grapple-beam!
I can't believe you kill Ridley and get the Phazon-beam within the first 2 hours
:lol :lol I can only imagine what's to come!

the start is one of the best parts of the game.

MiniDitka

AniHawk said:
Yeah, Corruption starts off awesome and just never stops. By far the best one.
It's my favorite as well. Just got the bobble-head :D

09-02-200912-24-36AM.jpg

Meesh

GrotesqueBeauty said:
You are a very bad person, and should feel bad about yourself. And I'm talking about bad bad, not Run DMC bad.
What about Michael Jackson bad, I mean, he was pretty bad...

sinnergy

Since when was jumping in morphball mode? Waggle the remote up and down and it jumps..
This is after you get powerbomb, works in Prime 1.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
sinnergy said:
Since when was jumping in morphball mode? Waggle the remote up and down and it jumps..
This is after you get powerbomb, works in Prime 1.

New addition to the first two games with the trilogy. This was available in Corruption.

Giolon

The waggle jump is available as soon as you pick up bombs! It really trivializes some of the puzzles in the original game.

beef3483

GrotesqueBeauty said:
You are a very bad person, and should feel bad about yourself. And I'm talking about bad bad, not Run DMC bad.

You're right. He's a bad person, but not for thinking that Metroid Prime 3 is good. It has more to do with his opinions concerning the other two.

Aside from Echoes being so fucking horrible in the last 1/2 I have to say this is a great trilogy.

Prime 1 was the best of the 3.

Retro did Metroid justice in 3D. I remember talking way back before it came out to a co-worker, saying how there's no way this series would translate properly and now look, 3 awesome games.

AniHawk

permutated said:
Aside from Echoes being so fucking horrible in the last 1/2 I have to say this is a great trilogy.

Prime 1 was the best of the 3.

Retro did Metroid justice in 3D. I remember talking way back before it came out to a co-worker, saying how there's no way this series would translate properly and now look, 3 awesome games.

The best part of Echoes was Sanctuary Fortress.

Evilink said:
What about Michael Jackson bad, I mean, he was pretty bad...
Not even bazillion latches and buckles or spray painting on roller skates bad. Just bad.

beef3483 said:
You're right. He's a bad person, but not for thinking that Metroid Prime 3 is good. It has more to do with his opinions concerning the other two.
I just can't reconcile disliking Prime because of the changes it represented for the series but loving Corruption. As good as the game is it's easily the farthest flung from the classic Metroid tradition. It doesn't even try to hide its blatant western FPS roots at every turn. Maybe I've just misinterpreted the reasons for Anihawk's hatred.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The only part of Echoes I really dislike is the end boss battle, specifically
the fight against the Emporer Ing or whatever. The Dark Samus battle is great, but the Ing battle is extremely underwhelming and not at all memorable, especially coming from the Ridley + Metroid Prime battle from the original.

Giolon

So I just confirmed that the heat fumes from rapid firing the power beam are still present in Metroid Prime 2, and it follows around with the movable arm cannon just fine. Are you guys absolutely certain that they are not in MP1?

AniHawk said:
The best part of Echoes was Sanctuary Fortress.

I really didn't like anything about Echoes. I really hated the Light/Dark world. I didn't like the story at all. Would rather play through Prime 1 and 3 again before touching Echoes.

permutated said:
I really didn't like anything about Echoes.
Bosses? Creature designs? Spiderball segments? I have a litany of complaints about Echoes, but I'll be damned if the Hunter Ing weren't the coolest looking enemies in the series. In fact, aside from the overdone drab purple of the dark world I thought Echoes had a really sharp aesthetic (not to mention the best looking Gunship of the trilogy by a mile).

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Bosses? Creature designs? Spiderball segments? I have a litany of complaints about Echoes, but I'll be damned if the Hunter Ing weren't the coolest looking enemies in the series. In fact, aside from the overdone drab purple of the dark world I thought Echoes had a really sharp aesthetic (not to mention the best looking Gunship of the trilogy by a mile).

All I remember is getting lost...lost...so incredibly lost after not taking the right gateway.

I need to pickup this trilogy and just replay it. Put my money where my mouth is.

So can someone list all the features that have been removed please

. It shouldn't matter I have the definitive versions (GC), but when I need to show this game of to people, playing it on the Wii, all the details could really help. Nobody will try and find a GC version.

the thoroughbred said:
So can someone list all the features that have been removed please
For MP, the following were removed:

• original menu (applies to the other games as well, MP's was heavily changed in the Play on Wii version)
  • FDS/NES METROID
  • some of the changes applied to the PAL/JAP versions (including bug fixes), the Trilogy version mixes some of the PAL elements (Phazon Suit obtainment cutscene) with the old NTSC ones
  • some effects that were missing in the Play on Wii version, too (e.g. beam freezing)
  • most of the voice work (though they'll probably be back for the PAL Trilogy)

lostinblue said:
here you can see one little texture improvement on flaahgra:

metroid-prime-3-7.jpg

metroid-prime-trilogy-20090522005208733-580x304.jpg

i hope someone is working on a more fleshed-out comparison.
Even further research confirms that the above texture was never in any final version of the game, but rather just a WIP build. Even the original NTSC version had the updated texture.

Davey Cakes

EatChildren said:
The only part of Echoes I really dislike is the end boss battle, specifically
the fight against the Emporer Ing or whatever. The Dark Samus battle is great, but the Ing battle is extremely underwhelming and not at all memorable, especially coming from the Ridley + Metroid Prime battle from the original.
Huh? The Metroid Prime in the first game made a better villain for a final boss, but the
Emperor Ing
, in my opinion, made for a more differentiated and well-designed battle. That and, yeah, the
fight against Metroid Prime/Dark Samus was way better than the fight against Metroid Prime's core in the first game.

In general, Echoes destroys the original Prime in terms of bosses and puzzles. Where I think the game falters is in its item use. You barely get to use the Echo and Dark visors, and beams like the Annihilator are offered way too late to make a real difference. Also, the Screw Attack is way underutilized.

Though, I must admit, I'm one of the people who didn't get bothered by Prime 2's fetch quest, where, for many people, that's a huge deal-breaker. I honestly think it's a very overblown issue, however, to the point where if anyone brings it up I just get annoyed.

I don't prefer Echoes to the original Prime, but I actually enjoy it when I hear someone say that they enjoyed it more.

jjasper

permutated said:

Really? I would have to say that the second half is what makes the game. (outside of the horrendously designed end fetch quest)

Prime Blue said:

• original menu (applies to the other games as well, MP's was heavily changed in the Play on Wii version)
  • FDS/NES METROID
  • some of the changes applied to the PAL/JAP versions (including bug fixes), the Trilogy version mixes some of the PAL elements (Phazon Suit obtainment cutscene) with the old NTSC ones
  • some effects that were missing in the Play on Wii version, too (e.g. beam freezing)
i am VERY glad the voice over crap was 'removed'.

i wouldn't call it removed myself. it wasn't in the original version. it was added for PAL/JP versions, but the NTSC version never had it, and i think it ruins the mood something terrible.

RedShift

OK, just preordered, but I just realized this this a dual layer game, and when i tried Brawl in my launch Wii it had problems working. If I have problems running a dual layer game what should I do? PAL/UK btw.

ElFly

Prime Blue said:

• FDS/NES METROID
    [*]some of the changes applied to the PAL/JAP versions (including bug fixes), the Trilogy version mixes some of the PAL elements (Phazon Suit obtainment cutscene) with the old NTSC ones

Even further research confirms that the above texture was never in any final version of the game, but rather just a WIP build. Even the original NTSC version had the updated texture.

Does this means that the bug that allowed you to obtain the double jump boots at the start of MP1 is back?

edit: checking the link, apparently yes!

bumpkin

AniHawk said:
Yeah, Corruption starts off awesome and just never stops. By far the best one.
Corruption is/was awesome, but I think that MP1 did a better job of making the player feel stranded and forcing them to explore. That's always what Metroid has been about IMO. MP3 just sorta had you explore a little bit of an area, and then have to fly to a new area, rinse and repeat.

plagiarize said:

i wouldn't call it removed myself. it wasn't in the original version. it was added for PAL/JP versions, but the NTSC version never had it, and i think it ruins the mood something terrible.
I should have elaborated further on that: I think RETRO just wanted to keep most things of the NTSC version intact to keep the "waaaah! I like the original better!" bitching down to a minimum.

Most American gamers like the game without the voice-overs while most European gamers will prefer to have them in, because that's the way they originally experienced the game. So my guess is that they'll be back for the PAL release.

Christine

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Maybe I've just misinterpreted the reasons for Anihawk's hatred.

His primary complaints are that the games are slow and boring. The latter is a matter of taste, but I can see where he's coming from with the former. I'm reasonably sure that Corruption won some pretty major points with him by skipping the 'restricted to single-jump' portion of the game.

zigg

Prime Blue said:
I should have elaborated further on that: I think RETRO just wanted to keep most things of the NTSC version intact to keep the "waaaah! I like the original better!" bitching down to a minimum.

Judging by this thread, it's not working.

Fantasmo

Rash said:
I don't prefer Echoes to the original Prime, but I actually enjoy it when I hear someone say that they enjoyed it more.

Echoes is my favorite. Now, Prime is one of my favorite games of all time, and I was in sheer awe when I first played it and still remember the feeling I got playing Metroid in 3d.

But Echoes totally upped the ante in terms of challenge. From the enemies and bosses, to the environments, upgrades and puzzles, throughout most of the game you're given just enough to survive. Brutal, and considering how long it took for each game to come out, and how much I love Metroid, I loved every minute of it.

Metroid games come out so rarely and provide such a cool atmosphere, that it kinda makes me smile when I get stuck and have to work that extra bit harder.

I love the fact that in most areas you're never rushed, and can just soak it all in, but you're definitely wondering what monstrosity or trap is coming up.

Can't think of any game that tops it for best boss battles.

Same enough to deserve the Metroid name, different enough to stand out. Tough enough to make me work for the end. Echoes was bleak and I liked it even better because of it.

junkster said:
Echoes is my favorite. Now, Prime is one of my favorite games of all time, and I was in sheer awe when I first played it and still remember the feeling I got playing Metroid in 3d.

But Echoes totally upped the ante in terms of challenge. From the enemies and bosses, to the environments, upgrades and puzzles, throughout most of the game you're given just enough to survive. Brutal, and considering how long it took for each game to come out, and how much I love Metroid, I loved every minute of it.

Metroid games come out so rarely and provide such a cool atmosphere, that it kinda makes me smile when I get stuck and have to work that extra bit harder.

I love the fact that in most areas you're never rushed, and can just soak it all in, but you're definitely wondering what monstrosity or trap is coming up.

Same enough to deserve the Metroid name, different enough to stand out. Tough enough to make me work for the end. Echoes was bleak and I liked it even better because of it.

Amen. Echoes has its downsides, to be sure (the Dark/Light world was poorly done), but overall it's the best of the three. It has the best puzzles and bosses by far, and I liked the layout of the world the best, too, even with the Dark World annoyance.

ryan-ts

Look at all this crazy talk. When you take the time to consider everything (I'm talking graphics, gameplay, level design, date of release, significance to the industry etc) there's no way you can say anything other then MP1 is the best of the series.

OMG Aero

plagiarize said:

I don't see how the voice over is that bad that it ruins the mood. All it consists of is just a sentence or two at the beginning and end. It's not as if the space pirates start talking to you or something.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
junkster said:

I'd somewhat agree, but where Echoes really faltered is in the mythos and narrative. Prime 1 did an outstanding job of tying Samus, the Chozo, and the Space Pirates together. I had a hard time giving a shit about planet Aether and the two warring factions in Echoes, just felt so detached. Corruption further distanced my care for the universe Retro created.

But yea, Echoes did have a REALLY fantastic set of bosses, puzzles, and the environments came together quite nicely regardless.

ryan-ts said:
Look at all this crazy talk. When you take the time to consider everything (I'm talking graphics, gameplay, level design, date of release, significance to the industry etc) there's no way you can say anything other then MP1 is the best of the series.

MP1 and MP2 are the best games of last generation.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Also everyone remember the old MP3 teaser Retro put out on the Wii Network? Remember all the great Mother Brain speculation??

Those cocks...

Christine

Brandon F said:
I'd somewhat agree, but where Echoes really faltered is in the mythos and narrative. Prime 1 did an outstanding job of tying Samus, the Chozo, and the Space Pirates together. I had a hard time giving a shit about planet Aether and the two warring factions in Echoes, just felt so detached. Corruption further distanced my care for the universe Retro created.

The main Luminoth/Ing storyline was pretty cliche, but I really got a kick out of the B plot involving the Space Pirates' efforts to survive the triple-threat of the Ing, Dark Samus and Samus herself, all while putting in a hard day's work mining Phazon from Dark Aether. Space Pirates were for the most part a fairly minor enemy class in Echoes compared with the other two games, but Echoes has the best of their logs.

VerTiGo

Banned
Echoes is so refreshing. All the of the Metroid Prime games are equal IMO. I've been a Metroid whore since Super, which is undoubtedly the greatest game ever, but there's never not been a great main great Metroid game.

I have Metroid fever right now. No other games exist.

y2dvd

I was searching a room for an artifact and I must've searched for an entire hour in that room alone. The clues strongly hinted it was this F'n room! I finally gave up and looked it up on Gamefaqs. Ends up it was in the same room and it was something I simply overlooked the entire time. I hate those moments! Plus I'm ashamed I had to resort to a guide. 8[

oatmeal

Banned
Prime is my favorite because of how simple it is. No storyline rammed down your throat, just you, the world, and you can take from it as you want. It's very similar to Super Metroid, which is probably my favorite game ever.

I just got to Phendrana Drifts last night, I'm playing through on Normal so I can run through them all quickly, then up the difficulty later.

Tritroid

Brandon F said:
Also everyone remember the old MP3 teaser Retro put out on the Wii Network? Remember all the great Mother Brain speculation??

Those cocks...
What?

The video they released setup the back story for one of the main story elements in MP3. Which in turn was the explanation for Mother Brain and why there were multiple versions.

Top Bottom