• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
oatmeal said:
Prime is my favorite because of how simple it is. No storyline rammed down your throat, just you, the world, and you can take from it as you want. It's very similar to Super Metroid, which is probably my favorite game ever.

I just got to Phendrana Drifts last night, I'm playing through on Normal so I can run through them all quickly, then up the difficulty later.

Yup. The world is simple and small enough for me to remember all the twists and turns, but deep enough to hold a lot of secrets that have me coming back. The Chozo Lore and the Pirate logs are so damn immersive, I love them.

As for the difficulty, normal is actually easy. I started on veterans and it's pretty much perfect.

ryan-ts said:
Look at all this crazy talk. When you take the time to consider everything (I'm talking graphics, gameplay, level design, date of release, significance to the industry etc) there's no way you can say anything other then MP1 is the best of the series.

"Than", not "then", please.

I certainly can say such, and just did. I give Prime 1 all the credit it's due for everything it did first--and indeed, it did so much so well that it deserves to be remembered as nothing short of a masterpiece. But "doing it first" does not make a game better than its sequel. Prime 2 took the best parts of the first game to new levels, and added in some missing and some new elements that fit perfectly. The Spider Ball boost jump and Screw Attack fit so well that they now seem missing from Prime 1.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I'm playing Metroid Prime for the first time via Trilogy (well, I played a BIT of the GC original, but not much. Just the very first part, really) and I'm loving the hell out of it. It really does the Metroid name justice in every possible way. The controls are pretty much perfect, too. Just a great experience all around.

Also, the Phendrana Drifts might be my favorite area in any game ever. The atmosphere, the music...just awesome. Actually it reminds me a bit of the ice levels in Donkey Kong Country.

soldat7

BorkBork said:
Yup. The world is simple and small enough for me to remember all the twists and turns, but deep enough to hold a lot of secrets that have me coming back. The Chozo Lore and the Pirate logs are so damn immersive, I love them.

As for the difficulty, normal is actually easy. I started on veterans and it's pretty much perfect.

I've adjusted to the scanning in MP1 now. I no longer feel that it breaks the flow of the game. I think the in-your-face HUD coupled with the foreign control scheme led me to feel that way initially. I am genuinely surprised at the writing; It's very good. My only complaint is that I wish there was more meat to each entry.

ryan-ts

Leondexter said:
"Than", not "then", please.

I certainly can say such, and just did. I give Prime 1 all the credit it's due for everything it did first--and indeed, it did so much so well that it deserves to be remembered as nothing short of a masterpiece. But "doing it first" does not make a game better than its sequel. Prime 2 took the best parts of the first game to new levels, and added in some missing and some new elements that fit perfectly. The Spider Ball boost jump and Screw Attack fit so well that they now seem missing from Prime 1.

If you're judging the overall quality of a game you have to judge a game on all it's merits to judge it fairly. Coming first is extremely important otherwise Super Mario Bros wouldn't mean shit.

Also* than then than then than (because it's the internet and slight spelling error doesn't matter)

Asmodai

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
So I'm playing Metroid Prime for the first time via Trilogy (well, I played a BIT of the GC original, but not much. Just the very first part, really) and I'm loving the hell out of it. It really does the Metroid name justice in every possible way. The controls are pretty much perfect, too. Just a great experience all around.

Also, the Phendrana Drifts might be my favorite area in any game ever. The atmosphere, the music...just awesome. Actually it reminds me a bit of the ice levels in Donkey Kong Country.

Hell yeah.

I know I'll get hell for putting it ahead of the 2D games, but Metroid Prime is the best Metroid period in my opinion. Metroid 2 and 3 are good games, but I don't think they can really compare.

Asmodai said:
I know I'll get hell for putting it ahead of the 2D games, but Metroid Prime is the best Metroid period in my opinion.

I feel the same way. MP1 amazed me in a way few games do. It was like playing Super Metroid for the first time only even more so. For me Metroid Prime is the best game I have ever played.

This collection is amazing, really wish I had the free time to play it outside of weekends.

ryan-ts said:
If you're judging the overall quality of a game you have to judge a game on all it's merits to judge it fairly. Coming first is extremely important otherwise Super Mario Bros wouldn't mean shit.

Also* than then than then than (because it's the internet and slight spelling error doesn't matter)

Being first matters in regard to how well a game is remembered, or sometimes for how influential it is, but in no way does it affect the quality of the game. There are thousands of awful games that are older than the greats. Being first affects YOUR experience of the game, not the game itself. A person might play an improved sequel (or remake) before they play the original, then find themself unable to enjoy the first game, even though that game was mind-blowing at the time.

I'm not saying Prime falls into that category: it's mind-blowing even now. But Prime 2 is the better game, just like Doom 2 is a better game than Doom 1, or Super Mario Bros 3 is a better game than Super Mario Bros. You seem to be suggesting that sequels can't be better than first installments, which is absurd. You're confusing quality with impact or influence.

Also: grammar matters about as much as anything else on the internet, which is to say, as much as we allow it to. ;-p

upandaway

So, it arrived today.

I also think Metroid Prime is better than Super Metroid, in all areas except.. the ending. The ending of Super Metroid exceeds my best moment of Metroid Prime still (the whole Thermal Visor part, it was just perfect for me).

wrowa

Leonsito said:
So this game is out tomorrow here, how is the box finally, tin ?
Shiggy said:
wi0386v.jpg

That's what the European boxart will look like in reality.
no tin for us

Just wanted to say thankz to some of all for helping with with my pointer problem.

Turned on the Wii to get the free web thing and it would seem that there was some wack light going on last time cause now the dots are gone and it points right.:D

boiled goose

good with gravy
metroid prime > super metroid > MP2 > MP3 > Metroid

havent played fusion, zero mission, or metroid 2....

i need them to come out on the VC

OMG Aero said:
It's a good thing that the game is what matters instead of the box then isn't it? :)

wrong...

most people have played the games already. the box is what matters. ;)

Asmodai

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
I feel the same way. MP1 amazed me in a way few games do. It was like playing Super Metroid for the first time only even more so. For me Metroid Prime is the best game I have ever played.

This collection is amazing, really wish I had the free time to play it outside of weekends.

It's the ideal incarnation of what makes Metroid great: the exploration, the sense of isolation, the atmosphere and music. Super Metroid was amazing for its time, don't get me wrong, but the environments don't feel as organic as they did in Prime.

The upgrade collecting mechanic is so artificial it's surprising that any game can make it feel somewhat natural. That's why I was so impressed by how well Prime did it back in 2002. Hell, I don't think any other game has done it as well since.

Fantasmo

I'm stuck!

Somehow I missed the translator in Agon to get into Torvus Bog. I spoke to the guy in the Great Temple and he said to go to Torvus, except I can't scan the Translation door to go further.

Am I screwed????

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's impossible to get stuck in that fashion in a Metroid Prime game. If you're truly stumped, go into the options, enable hint mode, and wander about for a while. The game will eventually point you in the right direction.

Fantasmo

Yea, false alarm. Either I was thinking of a different area, or a super fast energy drain disappeared after getting the Dark Suit. I made it.

junkster said:
I'm stuck!

Somehow I missed the translator in Agon to get into Torvus Bog. I spoke to the guy in the Great Temple and he said to go to Torvus, except I can't scan the Translation door to go further.

Am I screwed????

If I remember correctly, you have to backtrack in the central area to get an upgrade that will allow you to continue to explore the bog.

KevinCow

Banned
ryan-ts said:
Look at all this crazy talk. When you take the time to consider everything (I'm talking graphics, gameplay, level design, date of release, significance to the industry etc) there's no way you can say anything other then MP1 is the best of the series.

These things shouldn't matter when directly comparing games. Unless you're going to tell me that Pong is the greatest game of all time, Space Invaders is the best shmup, and Wolfenstein 3D is the greatest FPS.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
KevinCow said:
These things shouldn't matter when directly comparing games. Unless you're going to tell me that Pong is the greatest game of all time, Space Invaders is the best shmup, and Wolfenstein 3D is the greatest FPS.

To be fair, he did mention things like gameplay and level design. I doubt he'd say Space Invaders is the best schmup, but certainly it's pretty important.

That being said, I don't think he realizes that sometimes people put different weights on different aspects of game design and sometimes ignore things like significane to the industry altogether.

ryan-ts

KevinCow said:

Ummm, things like release date count less (don't even know why you would bold signifcance to the industry as thats the reason why most older games are held in such high regard) then others in general but when you're comparing three games from a single series that were all created within a 10 year period with similar technology it's pretty damn important. All of the improvements in subsequent titles after MP1 were only added because the original nailed what the game should be on their first try allowing the team to think of other creative ideas instead of having to fix things like the framerate or change the perspective.

edit: This isn't really worth arguing about anyway, I got carried away. I like the games and you like the games so I don't see why I'm bickering about this stuff like it really matters.

Got this today, planning to play the games in order from start to finish (personal history: never played Prime 1, played about 3/4 of Echoes, completed Corruption). Playing the first game for the first time, I just got the morph ball, and I'm enjoying it so far. The war wasp shootout that earns you the missile launcher caught me off guard (died once :/ )- I can't imagine playing that part with GC controls. Oh, and the Tallon Overworld theme (the one that plays when you first arrive at the planet) is amazing.

ZealousD

ryan-ts said:
(don't even know why you would bold signifcance to the industry as thats the reason why most older games are held in such high regard)

Maybe some people don't agree with putting most older games on such a pedestal?

Osuwari

SmashBrosAwesome said:
Got this today, planning to play the games in order from start to finish (personal history: never played Prime 1, played about 3/4 of Echoes, completed Corruption). Playing the first game for the first time, I just got the morph ball, and I'm enjoying it so far. The war wasp shootout that earns you the missile launcher caught me off guard (died once :/ )- I can't imagine playing that part with GC controls. Oh, and the Tallon Overworld theme (the one that plays when you first arrive at the planet) is amazing.

those wasps caused me a bit of trouble when i got to them because i had never fought them in the GC version (sequence breaks lol) and had no idea how they acted.
i played mp1 in the intended order for the first time on wii since i did sequence breaks from the first time i played it on GC and had played mp2 before it, making me know how to play in advance (and i did miss the boost jump in spider ball tracks. i thought my button was broken)

What were your favorite areas in the trilogy?

For me, it's a close call between Phendrana Drifts and Skytown. Skytown had gorgeous architecture, but I think I've gotta give it to Phendrana. This area was the best one to really get across that Fallout 3-like isolation- I may have been sitting my dorm just 50 feet away from another person, but it really got across that isolation you feel when you're walking across a deserted mountain. Great, great experience; I distinctly remember looking up at a clock, realizing I was 45 minutes late for a math class, and saying "fuck it," :D

Dunkelgrau

Can someone post some unpackaging pictures of the PAL-Version, please? It will be delivered without a steelbook, so the german fanboys are not amused!

CoolS

]blacky[ said:
Can someone post some unpackaging pictures of the PAL-Version, please? It will be delivered without a steelbook, so the german fanboys are not amused!
the fuck? everyone in Europe is not amused by this.

The Hermit

I know everyone loves Phendrana Drifts theme + area, but I enjoyed way more the ice caves and the Phendrana Drifts 2 remix...
Everytime I play Prime, I always visit that area.:D

Davey Cakes

SmashBrosAwesome said:
The war wasp shootout that earns you the missile launcher caught me off guard (died once :/ )- I can't imagine playing that part with GC controls.
It's not so bad. You just continually lock onto the wasps when they stop. Honestly, they aren't that aggressive, so it's just a matter of waiting for them to stop in place and locking on. Yeah, you may have to do some turning to catch up with them, but it's not bad.

[Nintex]

I found the PAL version today. Package isn't too shabby it's reflective like the original Metroid Prime 2: Echoes US cover. There's the art thingy too and that's printed on photopaper. The sleeve is quite nice actually but I guess it could get damaged pretty quickly. No tin case is a shame but it's still worth your money.

I followed this thread a bit and:
- The light trails on the wall from the beams in Prime, they are there in the PAL verion
- I've noticed some water effects, the water splashes when you move around with the Morph Ball or when you shoot it so it isn't completely static.
- The narrator and the suit voice are present as well
- I noticed some texture upgrades too and obviously the faster loading times

[Nintex] said:
- I've noticed some water effects, the water splashes when you move around with the Morph Ball or when you shoot it so it isn't completely static.
I see, so PAL while having the crappiest packaging IS the SUPERIOR version.

Want want want. (but I think I want the tin case more)

[Nintex] said:
I found the PAL version today. Package isn't too shabby it's reflective like the original Metroid Prime 2: Echoes US cover. There's the art thingy too and that's printed on photopaper. The sleeve is quite nice actually but I guess it could get damaged pretty quickly. No tin case is a shame but it's still worth your money.

- The light trails on the wall from the beams in Prime, they are there in the PAL verion
If the bug fixes remain, then I'd say:

PAL Trilogy > Play on Wii > NTSC Trilogy

ZealousD

So I beat the Boost Guardian in one try. I think I retried that fight like 5-7 times when I played it on the GC.

He is still no cakewalk, and is still one of the hardest bosses in the game. I was still losing a lot of health that fight. I couldn't tell you exactly what changed since it's been 2 years since I originally played Echoes, but if I had to make a guess I'd say they increased the amount of health dropped from the little inklets that spawn throughout the fight. Seemed like there were a lot of them and some of them were even dropping the 100 health orbs.

Also, even though ice doesn't gather on the ice beam in Prime, that effect actually does happen with the dark beam. Not really sure why since they're basically the same effects with different colors.

Man, is it just me or are missile expansions and energy tanks much more cleverly hidden in Metroid Prime 2? I'm about to move on to the third temple and I feel like I have very little health or missiles. I'm hoping there will be some "run-around-the-entire-map" time like in MP1 when you go dig up all the remaining artifacts after you have all your suit pieces. That's when I found most of the extra power ups.

Game is definitely kicking my ass a little bit, but I've only died once. Much harder than Prime 1 that's for sure, and not just because of the dark world, either.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
[Nintex] said:

Son of a cunt, this means I have to buy the US version for the packaging and I have to buy the PAL version for the game.

It have to. There is no other option.

ZealousD

autobzooty said:
I'm about to move on to the third temple and I feel like I have very little health or missiles. I'm hoping there will be some "run-around-the-entire-map" time like in MP1 when you go dig up all the remaining artifacts after you have all your suit pieces. That's when I found most of the extra power ups.

This is most certainly going to happen.

Christine

Rash said:
It's not so bad. You just continually lock onto the wasps when they stop. Honestly, they aren't that aggressive, so it's just a matter of waiting for them to stop in place and locking on. Yeah, you may have to do some turning to catch up with them, but it's not bad.

The Hive Mecha battle is easy; all you have to do is watch the radar.

Koodo

Banned
One thing needs to be said to all those who recall their encounters with the Spider Guardian ending in horror: that battle has become incredibly easier with the flick-to-jump ability. Either that, or that guardian doesn't phase me at all (honestly, most of my hatred back in the day was directed towards the Boost Guardian).

I also need to say something about Sanctuary Fortress: prettiest place in the game, true, but definitely not my favorite area. The common enemies are way too fucking annoying, the atmosphere doesn't match the story (the Hive is supposed to be immensely protected, but it feels barren at certain points), and the music is forgettable. Eye-candy galore, but not quite the utmost high-point of the game (and much less of the entire trilogy); and yes, I say this even when I think Quadraxis is amazing.

It does have the best morph ball sections, but ironically that's the one thing a lot of people dislike about the area.

Top Bottom