• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Disguises

Just bought metroid trilogy and went to the nintendo UK site to register the game and found it's had a metroid makeover. Check it out www.nintendo.co.uk

Time for some metroid killing

edit: screen
Untitled-1.jpg

Direct link.

A bit of trivia for those who care: The PAL trailer uses the same sound for the Metroid Prime Trilogy logo appearance as on Assignment Ada's title screen, so RETRO either "borrowed" it or it's a stock sound and they and CAPCOM use the same library.

Oxx

Fuck. No MPT in the post again today.

Gameplay have failed me.

I'm definitely not getting a free download of NES Metroid now.

scitek

autobzooty said:
Thank goodness

Oh yeah, MP2 has one hell of a fetch-quest at the end.

I finished MP the other day and am now playing through the second. I played them both about 4 years ago for the first time, and I liked the second game more. Things still haven't changed, I just feel like the second game has better atmosphere. The whole planet looks deserted and war-torn, with all the dead bodies around and all. It's just much more foreboding than the first, and I get the sense of alienation more as a result. The art and stuff that really sets the series on its own ground really shines in this one, too, and Retro was much more clever with things like placement of collectibles and the morphball sections are much more clever, as well. I'm only a fraction of the way through, so my thoughts may change at the end, but that's what I think so far.

y2dvd

Just finished Prime at 71%. Wow I thought I'd be closer to 90%. :lol

I'm watching a speedrun for Prime for the GC. Dude gets by areas which should be inaccessible at the time by bomb jumping and it looks like if you scan and jump, you jump further and faster. Are these still in Trilogy?

Picked this up yesterday, and glad that I did. My Best Buy had the tin case one for 39.00$ don't know if that was a pricing fuck up or not. Great value though, Prime 1 holds up brillantly.

I got mine a few days ago and started playing the first Prime. Wow what a difference the controls make. I no longer feel motion sick nor frustrated to navigate. This could even make MP2 a more enjoyable game for me.

I'm really not happy about this "collectors packaging". The case looks odd/misplaced among my other Wii games on the shelf. Taking off the plastic sleeve is just another hassle I have to deal with when I want to get the game out or put it away. And if all the other collector tins I've ever owned are an indication, even with the best care it's going to end up with scratches and dents eventually.

OMG Aero

Oxx said:
Fuck. No MPT in the post again today.

Gameplay have failed me.

I'm definitely not getting a free download of NES Metroid now.
I had the same problem with Game so today I just went to Asda and bought the game from there. When my copy from Game arrives I'm just going to take it into a Game store for a refund.

Vitten

Is there any way to improve the image quality ?
Playing this on a Sony Bravia LCD through component cables and it looks VERY pixelated almost to the point that it's hard to enjoy the game.

Oxx

OMG Aero said:
I had the same problem with Game so today I just went to Asda and bought the game from there. When my copy from Game arrives I'm just going to take it into a Game store for a refund.

How much was it at ASDA?

This is the first time Gameplay have failed to get me a new game the day before release. Not cool.

Vitten said:
Is there any way to improve the image quality ?
Playing this on a Sony Bravia LCD through component cables and it looks VERY pixelated almost to the point that it's hard to enjoy the game.
Try turning sharpness all the way down.

OMG Aero

So has anyone got their NES Metroid code yet or have they not handed them out yet?
I wish they would just say whether you were in the first 5000 when you register the game.

y2dvd said:
Just finished Prime at 71%. Wow I thought I'd be closer to 90%. :lol

I'm watching a speedrun for Prime for the GC. Dude gets by areas which should be inaccessible at the time by bomb jumping and it looks like if you scan and jump, you jump further and faster. Are these still in Trilogy?

I've never tried, but it seems like the game is based on the Player's Choice version which removed all the glitches, so they're probably gone, I never tried though.

Disguises

OMG Aero said:
So has anyone got their NES Metroid code yet or have they not handed them out yet?
I wish they would just say whether you were in the first 5000 when you register the game.

Nah, not yet. Not even sure I made the 5000, but we'll find out soon I guess?

Osuwari

Iron Toaster said:
I've never tried, but it seems like the game is based on the Player's Choice version which removed all the glitches, so they're probably gone, I never tried though.

90% of the glitches could be done in the player's choice version. they just removed dashing in scan visor mode and added a lock before plasma beam that only goes away after getting grapple. dashing at high speeds works in every GC version.
it's the wii version where a lot of these glitches were seriously fixed.

Desiato

It's amazing how after so many years Prime 1 still looks so good.

And people have been too dramatic about some minor things missing. The 3D-water effect when rolling with the morph ball in water is gone, but there are still some other "2D" effects going on. And yes, the arm cannon doesn't freeze over anymore when you charge your beam. That's it. I really haven't seen anything else missing from the game.

Desiato said:
It's amazing how after so many years Prime 1 still looks so good.

And people have been too dramatic about some minor things missing. The 3D-water effect when rolling with the morph ball in water is gone, but there are still some other "2D" effects going on. And yes, the arm cannon doesn't freeze over anymore when you charge your beam. That's it. I really haven't seen anything else missing from the game.

There's the heat shimmer missing from the cannon after rapid-fire, and it looks to me like Samus' hand configurations aren't correct for the different beams. Sure, it's all nit-picking, but some of these little touches can be the things that really put the icing on the cake, so to speak. When you're asking a dedicated fan base to re-buy games, they shouldn't include any downgrades or missing bits, don't you think?

That said, this is now by far the best Wii game, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

OMG Aero

Oxx said:
How much was it at ASDA?

This is the first time Gameplay have failed to get me a new game the day before release. Not cool.
It was £34.71 at Asda which is cheaper than I would have paid at Game if I didn't have reward points.

On a totally unrelated note, is there any way to swap the fire and jump buttons in multiplayer mode? I gave it a quick test today and the setting doesn't carry over from single player and there isn't a setting for it on the options.

My GF picked it up for me today.

Had a bit of a scare as the first 3 times I tried it I got "unrecognised disc" errors, but I tried a GC game and another Wii game which both booted up fine, after which MPT booted up fine too.

Pleased with the game, but disappointed about the packaging. It's not really a deal-breaker, but when you see the Americans getting lovely tins with plastic slips and then you get your non-US copy with it in a normal white Wii case and a cardboard slip it tends to dull the moment. I can see the slip getting fucked up pretty easily with the less careful types.

OMG Aero said:

I'm not sure exactly, but is it the first 5000 that register, or is it the first 5000 who got the email who are eligible? I can't check now as I'm not at home, but I seem to remember the email saying something along the lines of "hey, you've registered a Prime game before so you could get a free download of NES Metroid".

Anyone care to check? Regardless,, I think it'll be at least week or so before anything gets mailed out, and I reckon it'll be a message on your Wii, just like if someone gifted you a game.

OMG Aero

Monkeylord said:
I'm not sure exactly, but is it the first 5000 that register, or is it the first 5000 who got the email who are eligible? I can't check now as I'm not at home, but I seem to remember the email saying something along the lines of "hey, you've registered a Prime game before so you could get a free download of NES Metroid".
I have no idea, but you got an email about it?

OMG Aero said:
I have no idea, but you got an email about it?

Yup.

It either said "You've registered a Metroid Prime game before" or "You've registered all 3 Metroid Prime games before".

I'm 85% certain that one of those 2 statements is the requirement for being eligible to win a download... may be wrong though.

*EDIT*
Just found this on the NoE site...

To qualify for the promotion, players must be one of the first lucky 5000 who register their copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy on the European Club Nintendo website and who have previously registered one of the Metroid Prime games (Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, or Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)

And...
For more information on Product Registration and Club Nintendo, visit the Club Nintendo section of this website. If you are already a Club Nintendo member, please make sure your email address in your Club Nintendo profile is up to date so you can receive your Wii Download Ticket and details of how to redeem it for Metroid (NES) on Virtual Console if you are among the first 5000 registrants of Metroid Prime Trilogy

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB...o_treat_for_long-time_metroid_fans_14368.html

So it won't be an email, it'll be a download ticket (like when you get gifted a VC download).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Leondexter said:
and it looks to me like Samus' hand configurations aren't correct for the different beams.
Are you sure? I took a look at all the beam configurations, and Samus's hand appears to be correctly positioned in all of them (when using my X-Ray visor, of course).

The only thing that seemed odd is that Samus's hand stays static while the gun recoils.

JRW

For me its not even close, MP1 is by far my pick of the 3. I wasn't sure if I'd get into it again with the Trilogy release but sure enough its still just as awesome as I remembered it, even better now with proper widescreen & wiimote control.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Must... scan.. everything...

Damn, I'm missing a crapload of missiles this first time around. I thought I was doing well, but I'm like a 100 short of max by Ridley, wtf.

Finished at 100% items, 90% scans on Prime 1. I'm working on Prime 2 now, but want to go back Prime 1 to finish it's scans. Does anyone know if there are seperate medallions/achievements/whatever based on what skill level you play through the game, or can I stick to Veteran for my 2nd plays through?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
IIRC, Metroid Prime 3 had one set of tokens for the Normal/Veteran bosses, and another set of tokens for beating those same bosses on Hyper difficulty.

I would imagine that MP1 and MP2 got a similar spread of tokens. Could be wrong, though!

Osuwari

bmf said:
Finished at 100% items, 90% scans on Prime 1. I'm working on Prime 2 now, but want to go back Prime 1 to finish it's scans. Does anyone know if there are seperate medallions/achievements/whatever based on what skill level you play through the game, or can I stick to Veteran for my 2nd plays through?

only mp3 includes difficulty-specific tokens (yellow tokens for killing bosses in hypermode are separate from the normal/veteran set)
for mp1 and mp2, you can get everything at the lowest difficulty.

btw, i'm at 70% scans and 49% items atm in mp1. i'm going really slow because i'm reading everything i scan (fun fact: this is the first time i actually read all these scans. i've done countless runs in the gc version and never bothered to check out the logbook)

sinnergy

It's sad and awesome at the same time.

Prime 1 is displaying better graphics then most newly released Wii games :lol

Gameplay is king of course, man do I like Prime 1. The fact that the graphics are now 16:9 and it looks cleaner more sharp.

And all this @ 60 frames per second.. makes you wonder what other devs are doing,, besides picking their noses.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I beat Torvus Bog tonight. You know what? Chykka is an underrated boss character.

In fact, better than Quadraxis.

Yeah, I said it. Not taking it back.

ZealousD said:
So I beat Torvus Bog tonight. You know what? Chykka is an underrated boss character.

In fact, better than Quadraxis.

Yeah, I said it. Not taking it back.
Chykka is the best boss in the game, I think.

Just extremely long.

I forget, if you died against the final form, did you have to redo the two forms before it?

DavidDayton said:
Are you sure? I took a look at all the beam configurations, and Samus's hand appears to be correctly positioned in all of them (when using my X-Ray visor, of course).

The only thing that seemed odd is that Samus's hand stays static while the gun recoils.

Actually, no, I'm wrong. I checked tonight and they're the same. The reason I thought they weren't is because the Ice Beam and Plasma Beam's hand configurations are identical (as far as I can see), and I didn't think that was right. But they're just harder to see on the Gamecube because you can't move your arm around to get a better look.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ShockingAlberto said:
I forget, if you died against the final form, did you have to redo the two forms before it?

Dunno, I've never died against her. I would assume so.

sinnergy said:
Prime 1 is displaying better graphics then most newly released Wii games :lol

Yup.

sinnergy said:
Gameplay is king of course.

These games have better gameplay than most newly released Wii games as well.

sinnergy said:
And all this @ 60 frames per second.. makes you wonder what other devs are doing,, besides picking their noses.

I can think of 3 things:

1. Not having much talent.
2. Not caring.
3. Not being allowed to make anything decent for Wii.

BorkBork

All those compliments above: Seconded. As an aside, this compilation is probably like the best value in the history of gaming.

Prime: 100% scan for the first time ever! I always missed something before. Ridley was more of a bitch than I remembered, while Prime went down pretty easy.

Echoes time. I never finished it as I didn't have the patience to deal with the light/dark stuff, but I'll give it another go. I like the scanning and reading the gobs of info but the interface to navigate through the menus is annoying.

upandaway

Second time I'm mentioning this but... anyone knows what's up with those promised "new pieces of lore from the space pirate's side story" deals on the Japanese Metroid site?
It was way back, before Trilogy was announced, so I assume they already put the lore up in Japanese?

Edit:
Huh, I guess not. It's still labeled under "Coming Soon" on the Japanese site.
What the hell is it and why is it taking so long?

oatmeal

Banned
BorkBork said:
As an aside, this compilation is probably like the best value in the history of gaming.

Personally, I think it is. But I can see how The Orange Box would get a little more love.

Is it me or is the game really REALLY quiet?

I usually have my home theatre system set at 50 for pretty much everything. it's a comfortable volume. I put it up to 60 to play MPT and my GF whinged at me that it'd be too loud (to which I told her it NEEDED to be played loud) and started the game... could barely hear anything and ended up putting it up to 68 before it sounded normal.

Desiato

Monkeylord said:

I usually have my home theatre system set at 50 for pretty much everything. it's a comfortable volume. I put it up to 60 to play MPT and my GF whinged at me that it'd be too loud (to which I told her it NEEDED to be played loud) and started the game... could barely hear anything and ended up putting it up to 68 before it sounded normal.
Same here. Compared to the Wii menu it's very quiet. Had to turn up the volume quite a bit to hear everything.

BorkBork

Monkeylord said:

I noticed that too. I forgot to crank up the sound in the game menu though, maybe that helps.

OK, update time!

I beat the
Rock Boss that gives you the spider ball
, thought I was going to find one of those parts to the key but nope. -_-

Not sure what Ime going to do now . . . guess I will just look for places that I can now reach (not that I remember how to get to the main place I remember having those limits).

upandaway said:
Yeah, if I remember, that defaults to 70, doesn't it?

Did all of you put it to 100?

I always go through all the settings and options before starting any game, and all sound settings are defaulted at 100.

We just gotta face it... this is an awesome, yet quiet compilation.

upandaway

Monkeylord said:
I always go through all the settings and options before starting any game, and all sound settings are defaulted at 100.

We just gotta face it... this is an awesome, yet quiet compilation.
Wait, no. I'm not ready to admit this. I swear it defaults to around 70.
Did you check the settings in the Trilogy menu, or in the pause screen of an individual game?

upandaway said:
Wait, no. I'm not ready to admit this. I swear it defaults to around 70.
Did you check the settings in the Trilogy menu, or in the pause screen of an individual game?

Main menu when the game ran for the first time, and again as I went through the in-game menus post saving and before choosing "exit".

Both the main menu and the in-game menu had Sound, Voice and Music all set at 100.

When the main trilogy menu booted up one of the first things I noticed was the sound and I specifically searched out the audio options before resorting to turning up my amp.

This is the UK PAL version BTW... doubt that'd make a difference but it's worth stating.

Top Bottom