• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

upandaway

Monkeylord said:
Main menu when the game ran for the first time, and again as I went through the in-game menus post saving and before choosing "exit".

Both the main menu and the in-game menu had Sound, Voice and Music all set at 100.

When the main trilogy menu booted up one of the first things I noticed was the sound and I specifically searched out the audio options before resorting to turning up my amp.

This is the UK PAL version BTW... doubt that'd make a difference but it's worth stating.
Wow dude. That's the weirdest thing I've heard of today.
If I could right now I'd boot up the GC games just to prove that's how it was in the original. Am I hallucinating here? Was it always at 100?
And if it's at 100 all the time, why is it so quiet?

This is just bizarre. Holy shit.

upandaway said:
Wow dude. That's the weirdest thing I've heard of today.
If I could right now I'd boot up the GC games just to prove that's how it was in the original. Am I hallucinating here? Was it always at 100?
And if it's at 100 all the time, why is it so quiet?

This is just bizarre. Holy shit.

I'd double check myself, but I'm not home at the moment. I don't remember having to adjust the volume in any of the others (and I have Prime 1&2 on GC and Prime 3 on Wii too).

I just made peace with the fact it's a quiet game and I'm gonna have to turn up my amp whenever I play it. Just like I have to do with some DVD's.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Ridley seems harder... I get him down to the final 10% or so, then keep dying.

It might be because I've been TRYING to do some of the tricks with the missile combos...

DavidDayton said:
Ridley seems harder... I get him down to the final 10% or so, then keep dying.

It might be because I've been TRYING to do some of the tricks with the missile combos...
It's worth noting that even though you may have free aim turned on now, the bosses were originally designed with a lock-on in mind. Ridley took me a couple of tries because I was trying to be too fancy, and I think that she was getting a bit more aggressive at the final 10% or so.

Can anyone with the US version let me know if it's really quiet, even with the games audio settings up to max?

I'm having an argument with someone over MSN about this :lol

scitek

I'll need to see a video of these missing effects so I know what you guys are talking about. I had the Play on Wii version of the game a couple months back and really didn't even think twice about the lack of effects in the NA version of Trilogy. The only thing I noticed different was the lack of the opening narration and suit voice, but I didn't mind that.

scitek

Monkeylord said:
Can anyone with the US version let me know if it's really quiet, even with the games audio settings up to max?

I have to pump up my receiver about 10dB just to hear it properly when I play. Yeah, it's quiet.

Monkeylord said:

It's quieter than the Wii System menu, but it's about on par or louder than most 360 games and DVDs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
scitek said:
I'll need to see a video of these missing effects so I know what you guys are talking about. I had the Play on Wii version of the game a couple months back and really didn't even think twice about the lack of effects in the NA version of Trilogy. The only thing I noticed different was the lack of the opening narration and suit voice, but I didn't mind that.

Easiest way to tell is to roll around as a ball in the shallow waters of the first area on Tallon IV, where the ship is. The water will either remain static, possible particle effects, or actually ripple and dynamically alter in 3D (not just a particle effect, but instead creating waves).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Okay, Metroid Prime battle... I almost did it, then died. BAH!

Question time: I thought I remember reading, somewhere, that in Metroid Prime, just before the final battle, there was some little "touch" in the background somewhere which folks thought was neat. Something involving the Metroid itself... for some reason I think it was something like "you'll find an empty young Metroid husk in one of the chambers".

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or is it in MP3 or something like that?

(Also, I must say that I'm not overly fond of the save system Trilogy uses, if only because you can't really keep a backup of the final boss saves for EACH game... unless you play all three in order and stop at the final boss, THEN copy your save file.)

upandaway

bmf said:
It's worth noting that even though you may have free aim turned on now, the bosses were originally designed with a lock-on in mind. Ridley took me a couple of tries because I was trying to be too fancy, and I think that she was getting a bit more aggressive at the final 10% or so.
You need to find a nearby blank wall and you need to stare at it indefinitely or until you calm down.

Because that's not a statement and/or fact of a sane human being.

Oxx

Hey hey! It finally arrived! Four days after Gameplay dispatched it.

If the MPT EU sleeve existed in a vacuum I would be really impressed. It's actually really nice - second only to the special Smash Bros. sleeve in terms of classy Nintendo packaging.

I'm a little surprised that Nintendo have the gall to label the European version a 'Collector's Edition', though.

And I guess I missed the boat on the free Metroid VC game. At least that means that the game sold more than 5,000 copies!

JRW

It's not just you I have to crank the volume on my receiver louder than usual for the Trilogy as well (US version) I even put in my original MP1 gamecube disc just to verify and sure enough its much louder.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I just found a scan that said "Hunter Metroid ds". Was that supposed to be a hint to Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS? I would assume so...

EDIT: Well, Google helped out on that one.

OMG Aero

DavidDayton said:
Okay, Metroid Prime battle... I almost did it, then died. BAH!

Question time: I thought I remember reading, somewhere, that in Metroid Prime, just before the final battle, there was some little "touch" in the background somewhere which folks thought was neat. Something involving the Metroid itself... for some reason I think it was something like "you'll find an empty young Metroid husk in one of the chambers".

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or is it in MP3 or something like that?

(Also, I must say that I'm not overly fond of the save system Trilogy uses, if only because you can't really keep a backup of the final boss saves for EACH game... unless you play all three in order and stop at the final boss, THEN copy your save file.)
That's in Prime 3, and I agree about the save system. In games like this where you can save after beating the last boss, I like to have a save before the last boss and a save file after.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
bmf said:
It's quieter than the Wii System menu, but it's about on par or louder than most 360 games and DVDs.

I wouldn't say so. When I'm playing at night and trying to keep the volume down, my receiver on my 360 is usually set around 10-15. With the Metroid Prime Trilogy it's cranked up to about 25-30.

Shiggy

Fantastical said:
I just found a scan that said "Hunter Metroid ds". Was that supposed to be a hint to Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS? I would assume so...

They put in such a hint two years before the DS was released. WOW
I don't want to know how long Hunters DS was in development...

(Ok, Colin Reed went to NST in mid-2002 and its the only game he was involved in during his stay there.)

Echoes

Finished Prime yesterday, replaying it to write my review. (gonna do a big-ass review for the entire trilogy. It will be in Arabic so that's unfortunate for you gaffers.)

Anyway, I was checking Metroid Metal website and, whoa, he released a new album: http://metroidmetal.bandcamp.com

Just bought it. Downloading.

Echoes said:
Finished Prime yesterday, replaying it to write my review. (gonna do a big-ass review for the entire trilogy. It will be in Arabic so that's unfortunate for you gaffers.)

Anyway, I was checking Metroid Metal website and, whoa, he released a new album: http://metroidmetal.bandcamp.com

Just bought it. Downloading.
Nice, I forgot about Metroid Metal. I'll be downloading this too.

Echoes

From my twitter account:

Listening to MM's Varia Suit. Such a fantastic album. I'm gonna gift it to whoever finish Metroid Prime. Take a pic > tweet me :)

So in this case, finish the game, quote my post with the ending screen, and I'll gift you the album :D I'll try gifting more than one.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
How do you use Super Missles? I thought you hold A for the charge beam and then press down arrow for missiles, but it isn't working.

Edit: Never mind. Figured it out! :D

Desiato

Echoes said:
From my twitter account:

So in this case, finish the game, quote my post with the ending screen, and I'll gift you the album :D I'll try gifting more than one.
Damnit! Should've taken a pic when I beat it! Oh well, by the time I did it again others will have posted a pic.:lol

OMG Aero

Fantastical said:

I just got up to that scan in the game and next to it "Hunter Metroid dg" is also mentioned so I think they are just code names that the Space Pirates gave to two Hunter Metroids. Not to mention that Prime 1 came out before the DS was announced so unless this scan wasn't in the original and just in the Trilogy version, it's probably just a coincidence.

Fantastical said:
How do you use Super Missles? I thought you hold A for the charge beam and then press down arrow for missiles, but it isn't working.
That is how you do them. You have got the Super Missile upgrade and are using the power beam right?

JRW

Wait so I skimmed through this thread and people are saying certain effects are missing from Trilogy vs. original gamecube release?

OMG Aero

JRW said:
Wait so I skimmed through this thread and people are saying certain effects are missing from Trilogy vs. original gamecube release?
The main effects that people are talking about are the beam cannon effects from MP1 such as smoke when youshoot a lot and the cannon freezing when you charge the ice beam.
From what I've heard, it sounds like this is because the effects weren't attached to the cannon in MP1 because a lot of the time it is static, so since you move the cannon all the time when using the wii remote the effects wouldn't work. I haven't played MP2 in the trilogy yet but apparently the effects were attached to the cannon in that game so the effects are still in MP2.

I think there's something up with the water effects as well but I'm not sure what that is.

upandaway

JRW said:
Yeah well, reading the last few pages wouldn't hurt right now, would it?

Edit: Dammit man! I'm trying to be an asshole here!

OMG Aero said:
The main effects that people are talking about are the beam cannon effects from MP1 such as smoke when youshoot a lot and the cannon freezing when you charge the ice beam.
From what I've heard, it sounds like this is because the effects weren't attached to the cannon in MP1 because a lot of the time it is static, so since you move the cannon all the time when using the wii remote the effects wouldn't work. I haven't played MP2 in the trilogy yet but apparently the effects were attached to the cannon in that game so the effects are still in MP2.

I think there's something up with the water effects as well but I'm not sure what that is.
Yeah all the effects are in Echoes, including the smoke from the Power Beam when shooting it so much. They just are not in MP1 for some reason.

It's been so long since I played MP1, so it's like a brand new game. Wii control really makes it something special: best MP world + best MP controls = pretty damn good game.

Just beat Echoes today. I loved the challenge and the art direction and all the boss fights in that game. Amazing. I still wish they gave you access to more energy tanks earlier in the game.

I felt like such an idiot during the Sanctuary Boss fight against the mech. I forgot to do so much stupid shit and got whittled down to death twice. So frustrating.

Varna

Just finished the first game. I kind of tried to speed my way through it, but I actually didn't recall where everything was so it took longer then expected. 18 hour game and I got a lousy 67%. Those last three boss battles were a pain. Seemed like the hit detecting was really awful. Wii version controls are unquestionably superior. I loved Metroid Prime to death even back then, but from the moment I picked it up to the moment I finished it was a constantly battle with the controls (to be fair I am atrocious at all console FPS).

I never got a chance to play MP2 so this will be a treat! Already the visual boost is mighty impressive. I must say I believe this to be the best looking Wii game. Great, clean looking environment with a lot of scale and 60 frames? Every other Wii dev should be ashamed of themselves.

Chris R

Getting close to where I was forever stuck in MP1 and I'm really digging the game once again. I have the HUD at 50% and the controls are finally starting to click. The only thing that sucks is my tv is a 13" clunker that my Wii is hooked up to at the moment :(

Thinking of moving it down to my 37" HDTV but I don't have the Wii component cables :lol

Fantastical said:

This is a Hunter Metroid...

Hunter_metroids.jpg

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Hunter_Metroid

Bluemercury said:
, the pal version has all those effects....
I've heard quite the contrary, that all of the effects (Power/Wave/Ice Beam and water ripples) are missing in the PAL version, too.

For all who still don't know what is being talked about here, watch this video (recorded from the PAL GC version).

Osuwari

for some reason, since mp2 on GC, the volume of the prime series is abnormally low. i have to raise the volume each time i play these games. this was in every version i believe since i have the US versions and have the same trouble.
the presence of volume dials in-game makes it even more baffling since they're pretty much useless if the max volume they have is still below average.

about missing effects, i find it funny that i didn't notice the missing ice beam effect until people pointed it out and i had played the jp version since february, which has that effect missing also. that's one little detail that's been blown out of proportion. if you didn't notice it, it means it wasn't a big deal anyway.

about meta ridley, he has bad collision detection in his final phase when hitting his chest. sometimes he won't take damage at all. i had that problem in the jp version and i'm kinda anticipating it when i reach him in the US version.

nightez

Banned
Since reading this thread I started playing MP1 again on the GCN (I dont own Wii). Prime 1 still looks and plays great to this day. Its amazing that they got it locked at 60fps. And its got a unique art style and unique looking special effects I haven't seen other games.

Afterwards will get back to completing the final boss in Prime 2. MP2 went 'too hardcore', the bosses just kicked my ass. Its quite daunting in that the game is vast, lots of back tracking the light & dark worlds, lots of unexplored areas to keep track of, lots of items you have to collect and then it throws these hard as nails bosses at you that keep on changing forms instead of dying. I think they went over board, sometimes less is more, that's why Prime 1 is my favourite.

Apenheul

Damn the "disc cannot be read" dual-layer dvd error is back on my Wii, Super Smash Bros Brawl also doesn't work anymore. It used to run SSBB fine, what's with the Wii's dvd drive? :\

oatmeal

Banned
Hmm...I feel like I've been doing shit out of order in MP1.

I got the Xray vision, but don't have the ice beam, so I had to leave that laboratory without going all the way through...then I went and fought Thardus, and went to Magmoor with him...went around, hit a roadblock, and then found my way back to Tallon and then saved at teh ship.

D'OH! I probably need to be back in Magmoor...

Right I haven't been following this thread much, but what the hell?

Missing effects?

Someone please explain, and tell me which region has the best version of the trilogy.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Honestly, this thread is full of people making a mountain out of a molehill. A couple of missing graphical effects shouldn't deter anyone from purchasing and replaying this incredible series with immeasurably better controls. I don't think I would have noticed any of the tiny missing details if people didn't keep bringing it up. Repeatedly. Over and over again.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Dabookerman said:
Missing effects?
Several of the graphical details that were found in the first two games are missing in the trilogy. For example, you could see bones in Samus's arm when she brings it into view (when you are using x-ray visor), which you can no longer see. Also, there isn't a ripple effect on the water anymore and there isn't any ice on the ice beam when you fire it and the arm cannon no longer smokes when you fire it rapidly.

As the poster above me said... it's really not a big deal. It was just that Retro really took into account these small details that did add to the game.

Dabookerman said:
Someone please explain, and tell me which region has the best version of the trilogy.
North America does because of the tin case and we got some preorder bonuses... but of course that no longer applies. The games are exactly the same, though, as far as I know.

elektrixx

Banned
Apenheul said:
Damn the "disc cannot be read" dual-layer dvd error is back on my Wii, Super Smash Bros Brawl also doesn't work anymore. It used to run SSBB fine, what's with the Wii's dvd drive? :\
Maybe buying the official lens cleaner will fix the issue. It's around AU$10 where I am.

Kuramu

Metroid Prime with MP3 controls is pretty much the best thing ever to me. Having a blast. Shooting stuff is fun again without the brain dead lock on.

Koodo

Banned
100% completed Prime 2. Now I started with Corruption, and uh, I need vouchers! I want to trade with my fellow Gaffers. :)

Top Bottom