• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Just started Metroid Prime 1 on the trilogy disc last night. Played and loved Super Metroid on SNES, absolutely perfect game, but I've never played a Metroid Prime game before so this disc was amazing value.

Thoughts at first: Controls feel weird and distant, graphics are hard to make out on my sdtv, controls are awkward and i keep messing up the platforming, layout is incredibly confusing.

Thoughts 4 hours later: Controls are perfect, everything has been recorded to muscle memory for me now and it just flows beautifully. Graphics are amazing in the Chozo Ruins, astonishing lighting. Atmosphere is incredible, scanning visor is still awkward to bring up (i'd prefer to just press "-") but the amount of things you can scan, the back story, the logs - it's just incredible.

I was always going to like it considering i love fps + platforming (Half-Life 1 is my favorite game of all time) but i just did not expect it to be THIS GOOD. Just beat the boss in Chozo Ruins and got the varia suit. Only problem is I've lost my rechargeable batteries and now I'm fucked. Desperately want to play some more as well, this is killing me!

Culex

Banned
OMG Aero said:
Are you sure that wasn't just the fog that Thardus creates about half way into the fight?
It's supposed to make it so you can hardly see without the thermal visor.

Yes, I know it's the fog, but I don't remember it being so vivid. Might just be me.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
bubka said:
have not had to wait on a room to load yet, (still mp1)

no elevator freezing either

Everytime i use that chozo ruins elevator on the Wii version, i'm scared it will froze like before.

7 years later, and that elevator still haunt me. :( So many time lost because i didn't save for a while back then.

Osuwari

Bisnic said:
Everytime i use that chozo ruins elevator on the Wii version, i'm scared it will froze like before.

7 years later, and that elevator still haunt me. :( So many time lost because i didn't save for a while back then.

that was fixed in the GC days. only the jp and the very first US version had that crash.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Smelly Tramp said:
Just started Metroid Prime 1 on the trilogy disc last night. Played and loved Super Metroid on SNES, absolutely perfect game, but I've never played a Metroid Prime game before so this disc was amazing value.

Thoughts at first: Controls feel weird and distant, graphics are hard to make out on my sdtv, controls are awkward and i keep messing up the platforming, layout is incredibly confusing.

Thoughts 4 hours later: Controls are perfect, everything has been recorded to muscle memory for me now and it just flows beautifully. Graphics are amazing in the Chozo Ruins, astonishing lighting. Atmosphere is incredible, scanning visor is still awkward to bring up (i'd prefer to just press "-") but the amount of things you can scan, the back story, the logs - it's just incredible.

I was always going to like it considering i love fps + platforming (Half-Life 1 is my favorite game of all time) but i just did not expect it to be THIS GOOD. Just beat the boss in Chozo Ruins and got the varia suit. Only problem is I've lost my rechargeable batteries and now I'm fucked. Desperately want to play some more as well, this is killing me!

I was about to bail out of this thread due to the incessant bitching and nitpicking (I'm sorry, but it really is), but you've inspired me to keep track of it again with your first time impressions. Thanks.

I forgot to scan MP2's Spider Ball Guardian in his little glass tube before I started fighting him. Couldn't scan him during the fight cos you're in morphball the whole time.

Am I screwed out of 100% scans now?

Christine

autobzooty said:
I forgot to scan the Spider Ball Guardian in his little glass tube before I started fighting him. Couldn't scan him during the fight cos you're in morphball the whole time.

Am I screwed out of 100% scans now?

Yep.

Christine

autobzooty said:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

At least they should roll over in this version. I didn't get 100% scans until the 3rd or 4th time I played Echoes because I was always missing one or other of the one-shot scans.

soldat7

Kureishima said:
Guessing GCN control is sadly not an option? I'd insta buy if it was.

The Wii controls destroy the GC controls.

Agent Unknown said:
I don't understand the logic of taking out the morph ball water effetcs at all though.

Framerate issues? They looked bad to begin with? Probably one of those two reasons.

Tab0203 said:
Metroid Prime:

2unyp2g.jpg

1fze48.jpg

2duyyxz.jpg

2yycwgk.jpg

2rnv5s8.jpg

25knex0.jpg

m924np.jpg

Metroid Prime 3:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10693881&postcount=9878
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10750495&postcount=9885
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10792153&postcount=9913
wow *_* so beautiful!

EDIT: I look forward to more of these!

Here is my Wii console number:

6465 0592 6280 2840

My name is David

I need those green tokens! I have 2 vouchers so far to give someone if they are willing to do the same. PM me if your down for it.

soldat7

Loving Metroid Prime. According to the game, I'm about 40% done...just got Ice Beam. If it weren't for the hints, I'd be going crazy in this game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
soldat7 said:
Framerate issues? They looked bad to begin with? Probably one of those two reasons.

Likely not framerate issues.

If I had to guess, it probably has to do with the spring ball addition.

I haven't kept up with the whole thread.

Has there been any graphical downgrade in this trilogy? Like what happened to Okami.

I know of the textures being re-done. So that's one upgrade, but any downgrades?

the thoroughbred said:
I haven't kept up with the whole thread.

Has there been any graphical downgrade in this trilogy? Like what happened to Okami.

I know of the textures being re-done. So that's one upgrade, but any downgrades?
Christ people, just read the thread. Pick a page, any page. THIS PAGE. Fuck.

soldat7 said:
Loving Metroid Prime. According to the game, I'm about 40% done...just got Ice Beam. If it weren't for the hints, I'd be going crazy in this game.
Keep in mind that the percentage that's shown next to your save file only refers to the percentage of collected items, if you're new to the game and don't know where all the expansions are yet, the percentage isn't really the best way to measure your progress.

soldat7 said:
It's most likely an engine issue, apparently starting with Prime 2 they took the water effects out and in Prime 3, there isn't any water anywhere (as far as I can remember). As the Trilogy Primes are most likely all based on the Prime 3 engine, Retro probably considered it to be too much of a hassle to hack the old water effects back in.

The water efects seemed metalic anyway, kinda like the entrance to hazy maze in Mario 64 (albeit with transparencies and stuff at place)

Tab0203 said:
The bounding box is close to perfect in this game. So smooth and fluid.

Turning speed and pointer dead zone customization would have been been nice, but it's not a big deal. Brilliant controls.

As always, ignore the moire effect, distorted colors, black level etc.
(480i @ 60Hz, RGB cable, Philips 36" 16:9 flat screen CRT SDTV)

Metroid Prime:

*Jesus God Lookit that!*
Jesus God Lookit that!

PALers, does the PAL version have a 60hz option and a 480p option?

My previous Nintendo consoles were either Japanese or US (or both) so never had to worry about that!

I loved MP1 so much on (US) Gamecube, it had such incredible atmosphere, and I remember playing it on my new 480p Panasonic projector and kickass amp (at the time) and it was one of the most memorable gaming experiences of my life. So awesome. I think it delivers the feeling of being alone better than any videogame out there, the feeling was just incredible.

KennyLinder said:
PALers, does the PAL version have a 60hz option and a 480p option?

My previous Nintendo consoles were either Japanese or US (or both) so never had to worry about that!

I loved MP1 so much on (US) Gamecube, it had such incredible atmosphere, and I remember playing it on my new 480p Panasonic projector and kickass amp (at the time) and it was one of the most memorable gaming experiences of my life. So awesome. I think it delivers the feeling of being alone better than any videogame out there, the feeling was just incredible.
It most likely does, but those aren't chosen like in the Gamecube (60 Hz mode available yes/no?) but on the Wii configuration menu's, there's 576i @ 50 Hz, 480i @ 60 Hz and 480p... As always.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Been going through Prime 1 on the Trilogy for the last day now. Game was always incredible but with the new set up it is close to perfection.

Even better though is that after 15 years I finally played and completed Super Metroid for the first time. I'd played and completed Prime 1,2 and 3 and also Zero mission and Fusion on the GBA but never got round to finishing Metroid 3. Should have done this back then or even many years ago but now glad I have done it and seen what all the fuss was about.

Game is still great today but wish I'd played it all those years ago now as I'd have been blown away by it.

[Nintex]

Thunder Monkey said:
Jesus God Lookit that!
I was amazed that it looked that good on my LCD too. I don't know what magic they used but there's like no jaggies at all. The art in the first Prime is just unrivaled, sure the sequels had some nice locations and Retro Studios elevated texture work to an art form with Metroid Prime 3 but Metroid Prime still blows my mind with a powerbomb of awesomeness.

[Nintex] said:
I was amazed that it looked that good on my LCD too. I don't know what magic they used but there's like no jaggies at all.
You must have a good LCD then, part of the quality of a 480p game comes from the console, yes... but the rest definitely comes from the TV post processing.

And a lot of entry point TV's just utter suck at that, leading lots of gamers to blame their SD consoles.

Does Metroid Prime 3 still run @ anamorphic ~825x470? instead of anamorphic 853x480?

Wowbagger

OMG Aero said:
Contrary to what a lot of people remember, the X-Ray visor never showed the insides of the arm cannon in Metroid Prime 1. That was only added in Prime 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP6o6oXNFEI#t=2m38s

Just fired up my PAL copy and can definitely see a blurry, white arm inside the cannon. It's hardly visible in the video you linked due to the lighting of the environment.

Edit: You can clearly see the arm in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXQKdibGphs#t=1m35s

Prime Blue said:
A little something regarding the version differences.

I hope I can expand this in the future, though I don't know if the links to M2K2 are okay...

Cool! I guess you'll add entries for the other two missing charged beam effects later (Charged Power Beam's light rays and Charged Plasma Beam's particles flowing from back of gun to muzzle are missing).

Funny that the ripple effect was never in MP2, btw. I guess they thought it didn't look that good in MP and having played it again today, I kinda agree. It doesn't really blend in with the surface texture as well as it should. It's cool, but a little distracting.

Just finished Metroid Prime this morning, 12 hours and only 62 percent :lol Hadn't played it since the Gamecube days, and I'm still amazed at the level & art design. It's crazy how vivid my memory was for certain locations considering I hadn't played this game in 5-6 years, especially for the parts in the Phendrana.

I'm going to take a little break before I start up Echoes, but it's the one I'm looking forward to most, since I never completed it for GC.

As far the effects go, it sucks that they're gone, but the new controls make up for it tenfold in my opinion.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
lostinblue said:
It most likely does, but those aren't chosen like in the Gamecube (60 Hz mode available yes/no?) but on the Wii configuration menu's, there's 576i @ 50 Hz, 480i @ 60 Hz and 480p... As always.

It doesn't matter what you choose in the Wii configuration, if the game doesn't support 480p it will be either in 480i or 576i. Sadly a lot of PAL games don't support 480p.

upandaway

I decided to see if the disc is working (people had problems with double layer stuff) and ended up spending 20 something minutes in the space station. The controls are awesome.

Something utterly mind blowing happened to me while doing that though: To see how it's like, I disabled the HUD. Life stayed which was great, but this is not what I'm talking about.
With a clear view, I suddenly noticed a rock flying by just a few meters above me. So I shot it.
It split into two pieces. Amazed, I shot one of the pieces.
It blew up.
Utterly mind blowing. Insane in every (positive) sense of the word.

I don't believe that just happened. I knew there's detail, of course I did, but I never noticed this because you know how easy it is to just rush through that first area.
I fully expected the rock to be immune to the beam, or protected with a field similar to the one around the deck. I would have been fine with that. Normally, you don't even see the rock. Not in the new Wii version, and surely not in the original where you have to go out of your way to see it, then shoot it with any sort of expectation.

Thinking about picking this up soon. Haven't played all the way through Metroid Prime since it's release. Plus, watching the video, I don't notice differences between the two versions so that's a plus for me. :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
One of the first things I did in the GCN original was locate a flying rock and shoot it to pieces. With the HUD on.

The attention to detail certainly is amazing, but it's not exactly a hard-to-find easter egg. :)

[Nintex]

upandaway said:
I decided to see if the disc is working (people had problems with double layer stuff) and ended up spending 20 something minutes in the space station. The controls are awesome.

Something utterly mind blowing happened to me while doing that though: To see how it's like, I disabled the HUD. Life stayed which was great, but this is not what I'm talking about.
With a clear view, I suddenly noticed a rock flying by just a few meters above me. So I shot it.
It blew up.

I don't believe that just happened. I knew there's detail, of course I did, but I never noticed this because you know how easy it is to just rush through that first area.
I fully expected the rock to be immune to the beam, or protected with a field similar to the one around the deck. I would have been fine with that. Normally, you don't even see the rock. Not in the new Wii version, and surely not in the original where you have to go out of your way to see it, then shoot it with any sort of expectation.
The best thing about MP1 is that every inch in the game has that level of detail. Even the places that you can't go to like certain towers or ruins in the background are fully modelled and detailed. In MP2 they somewhat took the easy route with the backgrounds.

Playing MP1.

This game scares the shit out of me.

It already did on the GC (played a couple of hours), and It still does.

But I'm gonna fight! I promise! I will finish that game (and maybe even 2 and 3).

It's scary, but it still isn't as scary as Ecco the fucking dolphin from hell.

Johnas

upandaway said:

It blew up.

In the original Prime release on GC (not sure about the other versions) when you're in Tallon Overworld, right before you reach the first half-pipe, if you stop in that waterfall area and look up you'll see some kind of bird/pterodactyl things flying way, way up high above you. You can actually hit them too. I found this myself years ago, it may be well known but I haven't ever seen it mentioned.

Gotta love that attention to detail.

upandaway

Pipomantis said:
Playing MP1.

This game scares the shit out of me.

It already did on the GC (played a couple of hours), and It still does.

But I'm gonna fight! I promise! I will finish that game (and maybe even 2 and 3).

It's scary, but it still isn't as scary as Ecco the fucking dolphin from hell.
Put brightness on max, then print out and stick some flowers and rainbows around your TV. That should do the trick.

Johnas said:
In the original Prime release on GC (not sure about the other versions) when you're in Tallon Overworld, right before you reach the first half-pipe, if you stop in that waterfall area and look up you'll see some kind of bird/pterodactyl things flying way, way up high above you. You can actually hit them too. I found this myself years ago, it may be well known but I haven't ever seen it mentioned.

Gotta love that attention to detail.
Yeah I knew about the birds. They're everywhere in the game with sky. I remember shooting one in Chozo Ruins back when I first played the game.

Baron

Mejilan said:
No sir. To my knowledge, MP1, MP2, and MP3 all save to one consolidated MPT file.

Thanks for the quick reply good sir. That's unfortunate about the save file, but not unexpected, I suppose.

upandaway said:
Put brightness on max, then print out and stick some flowers and rainbows around your TV. That should do the trick.

Didn't work with Silent Hill 3, so I have a doubt here :p

But seriously, I'm not really scared, but am I the only one feeling "oppressed" when playing MP1? All alone, a whole hostile environment against you (well, even if some could say Samus is the agressor), grim ambiance...

I really have a weird feeling towards this game.

And I also keep on playing because of it, so it's not a criticism at all :)

Well it would be off topic to elaborate, but I might create one for this. Pretty sure I'm not alone ^^

Do you think it would be okay?

Pipomantis said:
Didn't work with Silent Hill 3, so I have a doubt here :p

But seriously, I'm not really scared, but am I the only one feeling "oppressed" when playing MP1? All alone, a whole hostile environment against you (well, even if some could say Samus is the agressor), grim ambiance...

I really have a weird feeling towards this game.

And I also keep on playing because of it, so it's not a criticism at all :)

You're really gonna hate MP2 then.

It's the better game, but the sense of foreboding is so ;_;

Dynamic3

Apenheul said:
I've never played Ecco the Dolphin but you sure piqued my interest.

The DC version of Ecco has some of the scariest environments in any videogame. Especially the really deep one with the dark green water, omg.

Cafeman

re: Dreamcast Ecco -- trying to avoid a giant moral eel when you can't exactly tell where it is, or the giant great white shark. FEAR.

re: FX change on MP1 - I watched the youtube vid, I must admit, I can't see a difference in the weapons. I see the lack of water animation on the Wii version, but I seem to see the same energy-spark draws and lighting as the weapons shoot across the floor into the wall. Is it really that obvious to you?

I haven't tried the Wii version but I remember the awesome FX of the GCN MP1, fantastic game.

Top Bottom