• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

y2dvd

The DC version of Ecco was a glitchfest. I wouldn't even be trying and I'd find a new glitch left and right. :lol

I'm not too far into Echoes. Never played the GC version so this is a fresh experience.
I just got the dark beam and wasted all of my ammo. I didn't know it was limited lol. How do I gain more ammo?

Echoes is good so far but the only thing I don't like is
the downtime healing in the light sphere in the dark world.

y2dvd said:
Indeed, a good solution would have been to use slow healing when enemies are present and fast healing when all of them are defeated, explaining the whole thing with sort of a "distracting Ing aura" for the Light Crystals.

y2dvd said:
The DC version of Ecco was a glitchfest. I wouldn't even be trying and I'd find a new glitch left and right. :lol

I'm not too far into Echoes. Never played the GC version so this is a fresh experience.
I just got the dark beam and wasted all of my ammo. I didn't know it was limited lol. How do I gain more ammo?

Blow up craters / scenery for extra ammo with the light beam (which you'll pickup later) or your normal shot. The game normally dishes out ammo when you need it.

Also, my pussy nature meant I'd stand around in the spheres for ages (even though I was fully healed!) which probably killed off the pacing of the game a little for me. :(

Eh, I thought Metroid Prime was GotY, best game I've played in a long time, great, great graphics, music, atmosphere and all!

But Echoes? I couldn't get into that for the life of me. I could not like it. I beat the spiderball boss and whatnot (not sure how much further I was). I eventually quit playing. I didn't like the atmosphere of the game, nor really the light/dark world. Sigh. Gonna try again with this Trilogy, though.

Kureishima said:
Eh, I thought Metroid Prime was GotY, best game I've played in a long time, great, great graphics, music, atmosphere and all!

But Echoes? I couldn't get into that for the life of me. I could not like it. I beat the spiderball boss and whatnot (not sure how much further I was). I eventually quit playing. I didn't like the atmosphere of the game, nor really the light/dark world. Sigh. Gonna try again with this Trilogy, though.
The only problem I have with MP2 is all the backtracking. While all Metroid games have backtracking, this one takes it to the extreme. Other than that it's awesome, the difficulty makes the game so much better since its actually a challenge, unlike MP1 which is much, much easier.

JRW

Kureishima said:

Agreed I played through MP1 twice and thought it was amazing, but I just couldn't get into Echoes, I tried.

Oxx

I just did the opening section of Metroid Prime. Such a great beginning.

It underlines how streamlined they made the scanning system in the subsequent games, though. Those tiny orange/red squares are incredibly fiddly.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Oxx said:
I just did the opening section of Metroid Prime. Such a great beginning.

It underlines how streamlined they made the scanning system in the subsequent games, though. Those tiny orange/red squares are incredibly fiddly.

I liked the orange squares more. Entire sections being red, blue, and green were really jarring from a visual standpoint for me.

upandaway

BorkBork said:
I liked the orange squares more. Entire sections being red, blue, and green were really jarring from a visual standpoint for me.
The entire sections were fucking gifts from god for me.

I'm colorblind, and for the life of me, I just can't tell which shade it is with the normal scan points. I can tell "not important at all" which is nearly white, but that's it. In the end I scan every single thing I see because I just don't know if it's important or not.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
upandaway said:
The entire sections were fucking gifts from god for me.

I'm colorblind, and for the life of me, I just can't tell which shade it is with the normal scan points. I can tell "not important at all" which is nearly white, but that's it. In the end I scan every single thing I see because I just don't know if it's important or not.

Fair enough. That does suck if you can't distinguish the colours :( I scan everything myself anyways though. :lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The Main Event said:
Anyone ordered it from Buynextgen? How long does it take once dispatched?
I ordered MPT on August 23rd and haven't gotten it yet but if it's anything like Wii Sports Resort then it'll be another couple of weeks before I get MPT.

For WSR shipped to Toronto:
Ordered August 2nd
Shipped August 10th
Received September 2nd

It takes forever but the fact that I paid $40 US with no tax, no customs, and free shipping I can't complain.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
[Nintex] said:
In MP2 they somewhat took the easy route with the backgrounds.

Likely because the draw distance would have to have been ridiculously insane.

Wowbagger said:
Cool! I guess you'll add entries for the other two missing charged beam effects later (Charged Power Beam's light rays and Charged Plasma Beam's particles flowing from back of gun to muzzle are missing).
Updated, thanks! Still by far not everything, of course.
Again, the charged Power Beam light is missing in MP but intact in MP2, although it's the exact same effect.

Desiato

Prime Blue said:
Updated, thanks! Still by far not everything, of course.
Again, the charged Power Beam light is missing in MP but intact in MP2, although it's the exact same effect.
I have the Pal Wii version. The narrator doesn't say the area names (like it's always been with the pal version), but he also doesn't say "Impact Crater" or "Tallon Overworld" anymore (which he did use to do in the pal version).

Desiato said:
I have the Pal Wii version. The narrator doesn't say the area names (like it's always been with the pal version), but he also doesn't say "Impact Crater" or "Tallon Overworld" anymore (which he did use to do in the pal version).
Ah, cool. Another question: Is there still a textual announcement? I noticed that the Japanese Play on Wii version didn't have it.

Wowbagger

Cafeman said:
re: FX change on MP1 - I watched the youtube vid, I must admit, I can't see a difference in the weapons. I see the lack of water animation on the Wii version, but I seem to see the same energy-spark draws and lighting as the weapons shoot across the floor into the wall. Is it really that obvious to you?

I think you're looking at the wrong thing. Watch the cannon itself as it charges.

ZealousD

Okay guys, I'm confused about getting 100% items in Echoes.

I have 250 missles, 14 energy tanks, 250 light/dark ammo, 10 power bombs, all 3 charge combos, and all 9 sky temple keys. My logbook says I have only 98% items.

What the hell? I thought I had all the items and expansions? How do I get the other 2%?

Koodo

Banned
ZealousD said:
Okay guys, I'm confused about getting 100% items in Echoes.

I have 250 missles, 14 energy tanks, 250 light/dark ammo, 10 power bombs, all 3 charge combos, and all 9 sky temple keys. My logbook says I have only 98% items.

What the hell? I thought I had all the items and expansions? How do I get the other 2%?
It's 255 missiles in Echoes, so you're missing one expansion. No clue about the other percent though, have you acquired the Light Suit yet?

ZealousD

Ah, didn't realize the Seeker Missile gave 5 missiles. Found the last expansion.

And I was wrong on the beam ammo part. I only had 200. I R DUMB. :lol

Got up to picking up the X-Ray visor (MP1) last night before powering down for the evening.

Almost got everything scanned - just one Chozo Lore and one Pirate Data left, plus a few more creatures.

One of the creatures I know is missing is the
Phazon Elite
. I fought 2
Elite Pirates
in the
Phazon Mines
, and I know I scanned the first, but can't remember if I scanned the second. I also know the
Phazon Elite
is a one-time deal, and now I'm worried that I've screwed up my chances at a 100% scan ratio.

Can anyone confirm?

(spoilered for those new to the series)

ZealousD

I don't understand how people can believe that the Wii version isn't the definitive version, just because of a few minor cosmetic changes. The controls+widescreen add so much more than beam effects and water ripples. If people should be complaining about anything it's the lack of the original title screens.

ZealousD said:
I don't understand how people can believe that the Wii version isn't the definitive version, just because of a few minor cosmetic changes. The controls+widescreen add so much more than beam effects and water ripples. If people should be complaining about anything it's the lack of the original title screens.
I wouldn't have cared about the title screens and the weapon and liquid effects so much, but having a bug included that was already fixed in previous releases is very, very lackluster. Especially when they don't have any problems destroying some sequence breaks, which ruins a substantial part of the game for the pros (which I'm certainly not a part of, but I understand their anger).

OMG Aero

Monkeylord said:
Got up to picking up the X-Ray visor (MP1) last night before powering down for the evening.

Almost got everything scanned - just one Chozo Lore and one Pirate Data left, plus a few more creatures.

One of the creatures I know is missing is the
Phazon Elite
. I fought 2
Elite Pirates
in the
Phazon Mines
, and I know I scanned the first, but can't remember if I scanned the second. I also know the
Phazon Elite
is a one-time deal, and now I'm worried that I've screwed up my chances at a 100% scan ratio.

Can anyone confirm?

(spoilered for those new to the series)
You only need to scan one Elite Pirate and the
Phazon Elite isn't just encountered like an Elite Pirate, if I remember rightly it has a little cutscene when you fight it so you should know when you get to it

VerTiGo

Banned
Finished Prime 1 with 94% in 12 hours. That's the best percentage completion I've done in Prime to date. Honestly, this is the best time I've had with the game as well, much improved over the original GC release. The controls make a huge difference in fun factor.

I might move onto Echoes but I may want to go through another one game in between. I got a lot in the Wii backlog, maybe I'll jump on Murumasa first...

Was messing around with the X-Ray visor last night, and I can confirm that Samus's actual hand is visible in the Wii version of Prime 1. You just need to orient her arm over a dark background, and you should be able to see her fingers and everything.

OMG Aero said:
You only need to scan one Elite Pirate and the
Phazon Elite isn't just encountered like an Elite Pirate, if I remember rightly it has a little cutscene when you fight it so you should know when you get to it

Cheers.

Prime Blue said:
I wouldn't have cared about the title screens and the weapon and liquid effects so much, but having a bug included that was already fixed in previous releases is very, very lackluster. Especially when they don't have any problems destroying some sequence breaks, which ruins a substantial part of the game for the pros (which I'm certainly not a part of, but I understand their anger).
Perhaps they'll also make a Metroid Prime Triology 1.1 version with those?

Who knows, they clearly had the time to make a lot of Metroid Prime revisions.

EDIT: Oh, btw PrimeBlue, I was the dude that actually contacted you begging for your GCN framebuffer grabs (because Tinypic hosting was falling apart), that was before my account on GAF had been validated and all that but... cheers for that. :)

lostinblue said:
Perhaps they'll also make a Metroid Prime Triology 1.1 version with those?
To hell with all future releases!
lostinblue said:
Who knows, they clearly had the time to make a lot of Metroid Prime revisions.
Maybe that's the reason we haven't seen any new RETRO games yet, they keep changing things in Metroid Prime over and over. :lol

Minamu

I for one have never understood their irritating need for bug fixing so sequence breaking gets destroyed. It's such an important part of the pro community :)lol) & Zero Mission had it built into the gameplay. Why try to obsessively fix one game but at the same time design an entire game around the same idea? Makes no sense, even if they are not the same developers.

kiryogi

Banned
prime2finish.png

Finally finished Prime 2 ! Started it back on GC when it first came out and never got around to finishing it. Restarted on Trilogy here and went all the way. What a blast!.... But now to enrage gaf fans if this wasn't discussed before. Tried out Prime 3, wow pretty, and lots of waggle gimmicks but uh.. It doesn't play anything like a Metroid game. WTF. Lack of atmosphere, ambience. Feels like Fusion without the atmosphere. What's with all this voice, and other hunters. Oh and the music. Norion sounded like something out of a star wars battle scene. I'm debating if it was a good thing that I put off Prime 3 until now D: But it's really nice that ZSS looks really feminine now, and that you can see her in the scan visor.

Fuzzy said:
I ordered MPT on August 23rd and haven't gotten it yet but if it's anything like Wii Sports Resort then it'll be another couple of weeks before I get MPT.

For WSR shipped to Toronto:
Ordered August 2nd
Shipped August 10th
Received September 2nd

It takes forever but the fact that I paid $40 US with no tax, no customs, and free shipping I can't complain.

3 weeks?! Damn, that's a long wait. Oh well, yeah, for $40 it's still worth it.

Giolon

Well, I finally got my Wii back from Nintendo repair yesterday and sadly all of my save games (from launch) were gone. So...I started over on MPT again. I was mid-way through MP2 when it died. So far, I've gone through MP1 up to the entrance to Phazon Mines in about 3 hours. I'm hoping to finish it tonight again with 100% and get back on into MP2.

@Kiryogi on MP3: The intro is trying to establish Samus into more of a world, and I'm fine with that. Samus doesn't live in a vacuum. As you go along on the missions, you don't get as much interaction with other characters and you're generally left to your own devices. I think you'll find plenty of atmosphere as you go along. However, nothing in MP3 compares to the brilliance of some of the bosses in MP2.

And ZSS looked feminine, in Metroid Zero Mission...MP2 (if really out of place with the rest of the game's graphical style)...and Super Smash Bros Brawl :p

ZealousD

kiryogi said:
Lack of atmosphere, ambience. Feels like Fusion without the atmosphere. What's with all this voice, and other hunters. Oh and the music. Norion sounded like something out of a star wars battle scene. I'm debating if it was a good thing that I put off Prime 3 until now D:

STAY WITH IT. Norion is by far the weakest part of the game. Land in Skytown and tell me the game doesn't have atmosphere and good music.

I just ordered the US version. If it works fine with Gecko OS, everything will be alright. If not, I'm also going after the PAL version as well.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Well, you guys did it to me. Reading this thread has made me go back and start Prime all over again from scratch. Keep in mind I'm playing the original on my GC only now I'm finally able to play it on a proper surround system. Music/sound design is even more amazing. Really, it blows me away. I never realized how much I missed in that regard. Last night I managed to get my missles back and the saved all the while plotting in my mind where to go next. My memories are still really vivid from my first and only playthrough, what, 4 years ago at least? Like Super Metroid, it's like you never left.

One technical question: how is the Trilogy version with brightness/gamma settings? I had to crank up the brightness settings in Options to one notch below 100% in order to see detail in darker areas. It may just be my television being on the older side (36" Vega @ 480p) though...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ZealousD said:
STAY WITH IT. Norion is by far the weakest part of the game. Land in Skytown and tell me the game doesn't have atmosphere and good music.

Norion is indeed weak, but fuck Skytown. It sure is awesome, but I really dont get why people seem to talk about it as if it's the best environment. I really found Bryyo to be so much more interesting.

Top Bottom