• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Osuwari said:
there's a crapload of changes between the GC NTSC and PAL versions that now made their way into the NTSC trilogy version. that's one of them.

Ridley's new moves and some other details also carried over from the GC PAL version.
Does that include the missile refills? I noticed they come in increments of 3, 5, and 10 this time around.
piccolosan said:
I'm thinking of getting the Trilogy, but is it worth getting Metroid Prime 1 Pal for the Gamecube if I only played the NTSC version? I want the definitive version of Metroid Prime 1.
I don't think there is a definitive version in the strictest sense of the word, but I definitely prefer the original NTSC release for all the exploits. Space jump first and early plasma beam make a world of difference for me personally. As I played through Trilogy I couldn't help but feel like all the extra back tracking I had to do because of the removed or nerfed sequence breaks bogged things down and made it less enjoyable despite how much I liked being able to run along and pick enemies off left and right without stopping to adjust my aim.

Osuwari

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Does that include the missile refills? I noticed they come in increments of 3, 5, and 10 this time around.

yes, that's another change that carried over. the correct flaahgra music, alternate phazon suit cutscene and grapple cutscenes are other changes that carried over too.

oatmeal

Banned
Oh fuck me...

So I went back into the room and there is just the two stalactites...

the one came down with one shot, but no matter how many I shoot at the other it won't go down. Game breaking bug??????

I checked IGN's guide and it says just shoot it and go...no special instructions. I've shot it from every possible angle...out of missiles now.

FUCK.

Osuwari

oatmeal said:
Oh fuck me...

So I went back into the room and there is just the two stalactites...

the one came down with one shot, but no matter how many I shoot at the other it won't go down. Game breaking bug??????

I checked IGN's guide and it says just shoot it and go...no special instructions. I've shot it from every possible angle...out of missiles now.

FUCK.

there's one stalactite that won't come down until you shoot it from the highest ledges. you need grapple for that one. the important one leads to a wave door that leads to a morph ball tunnel iirc.

oatmeal

Banned
Osuwari said:
there's one stalactite that won't come down until you shoot it from the highest ledges. you need grapple for that one. the important one leads to a wave door that leads to a morph ball tunnel iirc.

Yah I see that one way up there, but the second one (leading to the wave door) isn't coming down. The only one I can get is the lower one that leads to the save.

Seriously, my missiles appear to go right through it.

(EDIT)
Fucking finally. I shot 30+ missiles in hte same spot...finally decides to fall. Go figure.

Back to the game!

Osuwari said:
yes, that's another change that carried over. the correct flaahgra music, alternate phazon suit cutscene and grapple cutscenes are other changes that carried over too.
Aha, I thought the grapple scene was different. Apparently a lot of log book changes carried over as well, or Retro at least changed a slew of them for the Trilogy. I'm missing one and I can't for the life of my figure which or where. I tried looking in Gamepot's MPT FAQ but they apparently just copy pasta'd an old GC version guide without actually checking for differences. :p

Anyone know what the Pirate Data entry between Mining Status and Security Breaches is and where I can find it? I tried going to the places where I'd be most likely to miss one in the orginal version, but a lot of them seem to have been axed altogether, so no luck so far.
oatmeal said:
Yah I see that one way up there, but the second one (leading to the wave door) isn't coming down. The only one I can get is the lower one that leads to the save.

You just have to aim for the right spot. The missle won't home in like it does with enemies. Make sure you have a clear a view as possible of the sort of round chipped away part when you lock on and aim for the exact center of the circle on your lock on display.

Diortem7

oatmeal said:

It's not a glitch. You just have to hit them spot on. I had trouble hitting them too, but turning off free aim fixed the problem.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I went out and bought this because I am having so much fun playing Shadow Complex and I had never played the original Prime games on the Cube/Wii. 2 hours in on Prime 1 and hooked like crazy. Perfection so far!

Tab0203

The bounding box is close to perfect in this game. So smooth and fluid.

Turning speed and pointer dead zone customization would have been been nice, but it's not a big deal. Brilliant controls.

As always, ignore the moire effect, distorted colors, black level etc.
(480i @ 60Hz, RGB cable, Philips 36" 16:9 flat screen CRT SDTV)

Metroid Prime:

2unyp2g.jpg

1fze48.jpg

2duyyxz.jpg

2yycwgk.jpg

2rnv5s8.jpg

25knex0.jpg

m924np.jpg

Metroid Prime 3:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10693881&postcount=9878
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10750495&postcount=9885
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10792153&postcount=9913

Wowbagger

Is the 3D ripple effect still in MP3?

What effects, exactly, are missing from MP2? It seems people are mostly talking about defects of the first game?

Desiato

Wowbagger said:
Is the 3D ripple effect still in MP3?

What effects, exactly, are missing from MP2? It seems people are mostly talking about defects of the first game?
Nothing's missing from MP2 and MP3.

I'm kinda getting the hump with my Wii not recognising the disc.

I sent it in to Nintendo when Brawl came out cos it wouldn't read the disc and now MPT is doing the same thing. Once it's running it's fine - played for most of yesterday in fact, but to get to that point I have to put the disc in about 30 times before it finally reads. Everything else (barring Brawl) runs straight away, even GC games. It's just Brawl and MPT.

I found PLAY.com have the Official Wii Cleaning kit, and it's only about £6, so I've ordered one of those. It's out of stock at the mo, but I hope when it does finally get to me it'll fix these damn problems.

Spending 20-30mins repeatedly inserting the disc kinda puts a damper on things.

OMG Aero

Dabookerman said:
Thanks for that video. I have no interest in this game now. Maybe when it's super cheap.
Really?
People are making way too much of the beam effects being missing from MP1. Most people probably wouldn't have noticed if not for this thread anyway. It really isn't a deal breaker when one of the three games has a small graphical effect missing.

OMG Aero said:
Really?
People are making way too much of the beam effects being missing from MP1. Most people probably wouldn't have noticed if not for this thread anyway. It really isn't a deal breaker when one of the three games has a small graphical effect missing.

Is to me. Metroid Prime is one of my favourite games ever. Don't want a downgraded version. No matter how small. And I would have noticed. I played that game religiously back when it came out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, um, is there any difference between the PAL and NTSC versions of the trilogy at all?

Apart from the packaging, of course.

upandaway

Dabookerman said:
Is to me. Metroid Prime is one of my favourite games ever. Don't want a downgraded version. No matter how small. And I would have noticed. I played that game religiously back when it came out.
Two steps forward and a quarter of a step back.

But no one's judging. Each to his own.
Personally even more trivia about different versions is all the more bizarre. It's been a long time since I stopped playing the games for immersion and more for looking at them from a technical point of view, after playing them so many times you change your thinking during gameplay.

upandaway said:
Two steps forward and a quarter of a step back.

But no one's judging. Each to his own.
Personally even more trivia about different versions is all the more bizarre. It's been a long time since I stopped playing the games for immersion and more for looking at them from a technical point of view, after playing them so many times you change your thinking during gameplay.

Two steps?

As far as I'm concerned, half step forwards, half step backwards.

The only reason why I want the game is for the snazzy box and widescreen 480p. The controls do not make a difference to me whatsoever.

Dabookerman said:
Two steps?

As far as I'm concerned, half step forwards, half step backwards.

The only reason why I want the game is for the snazzy box and widescreen 480p. The controls do not make a difference to me whatsoever.
Hmm. So the controls make no difference whatsoever (never mind the faster loading- another thing that makes a genuine moment to moment difference), but the water present in .001 percent of the game not rippling and the arm cannon missing a handful of details a deal breaker? Having just played to 100% completion I would venture that if you had played the game without paying attention to internet chatter you might have overlooked the changes altogether. That you care about the missing effects isn't a big deal, but the weight you seem to be giving the tiniest of graphical minutia while writing off any of the more substantive changes is a bit silly.

Now if you're worried about nerfed sequence breaking we can talk.

OMG Aero

Bluemercury said:
I ordered it, but i would definetely like to know why those effects are missing. Retro should clarify.....
The explanation (From what I've heard) is that in Prime 1 the arm cannon could only move in certain directions so the effects were just overlays on the screen. Since you can move it wherever you want in the Wii version, they would have to redo the effects.

They correctly attached the effects to the cannon in Prime 2 so the effects work fine in that game.

Seriously, someone needs to put cannon effect info in the first post or something because every page is just people asking about it.

EatChildren said:
So, um, is there any difference between the PAL and NTSC versions of the trilogy at all?

Apart from the packaging, of course.
The voice-overs are in the PAL version but not in the NTSC version. Other than that, probably nothing.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Hmm. So the controls make no difference whatsoever (never mind the faster loading- another thing that makes a genuine moment to moment difference), but the water present in .001 percent of the game not rippling and the arm cannon missing a handful of details a deal breaker? Having just played to 100% completion I would venture that if you had played the game without paying attention to internet chatter you might have overlooked the changes altogether. That you care about the missing effects isn't a big deal, but the weight you seem to be giving the tiniest of graphical minutia while writing off any of the more substantive changes is a bit silly.

Look at it this way. It is practically the same game. Essentially it is a port with minor upgrades and downgrades for whatever reason. I already own all 3 games. If I double dip on something, it must have ZERO downgrades.
I can easily play the GC game and enjoy perfectly fine. Downgrades of any sort, especially when it comes to double dipping are a deal breaker. I could spend my money better off elsewhere.

Dabookerman said:
Look at it this way. It is practically the same game. Essentially it is a port with minor upgrades and downgrades for whatever reason. I already own all 3 games. If I double dip on something, it must have ZERO downgrades.
I can easily play the GC game and enjoy perfectly fine. Downgrades of any sort, especially when it comes to double dipping are a deal breaker. I could spend my money better off elsewhere.
That part I can completely understand. I own all three and thought twice about where to spend my money before I preordered, and it was ultimately the freebie poster that tipped the scale. It's just the specifics you seem to be hinging the decision on in your posts that I don't really get. The main thrust of it seems to be that upgrades are meaningless regardless of how pronounced they are, and downgrades are a deal breaker regardless of how small. In the end who cares whether or not you grab the game; it's purely your choice, but with the reasons you've given it can't come as much of a surprise when you get a few raised eyebrows in response in the official thread.

bubka

Still at the beginning of MP1

I noticed that some of the rooms have this tilted effect, in that they view is not horizontal with the screen. Meaning that you are going threw doors at an angle. Its awesome, but I DO NOT remember this in MP1 GC.

Anyone else?

OMG Aero

bubka said:

I noticed that some of the rooms have this tilted effect, in that they view is not horizontal with the screen. Meaning that you are going threw doors at an angle. Its awesome, but I DO NOT remember this in MP1 GC.

Anyone else?
Are you still on the Space Pirate ship?

Dabookerman said:
Thanks for that video. I have no interest in this game now. Maybe when it's super cheap.
What you're saying is that the improvements, such as the exponentially better, game changing, reason-why-they-ever-made-this-port controls don't matter, but two or three missing particle effects are a deal breaker?

Expect to get lambasted for your opinion. It's beyond silly; it's downright anal.

You never really wanted to buy this in the first place, yeah?

bubka

well maybe, but the smoothness, probably because of the IR, but man the movement just flows, and the play control is perfect

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
bubka said:

Anyone else?

bubka said:
no, chozo ruins, some of the tunnels with those lighted bugs that lighten the rooms

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but it's exactly as you said it. You don't remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IWzOk6hOfA#t=3m31s

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Samus's bones still do show when using the X-Ray visor when she brings her hand up to block her face, however they don't show when she is using her left hand to hold the arm cannon.

Just clearing that up.

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
You never really wanted to buy this in the first place, yeah?

No I didn't.

I hate the Metroid series. It's a shit series. I only buy all the games just to use them as toilet paper.

upandaway

Fantastical said:
Samus's bones still do show when using the X-Ray visor when she brings her hand up to block her face, however they don't show when she is using her left hand to hold the arm cannon.

Just clearing that up.
What about the hand that's actually inside the arm cannon?

Culex

Banned
So i beat Thardus again on my Prime 1 run, and I noticed the amount of bloom lighting in the room was INSANE. I don't remember if this was added, improved or changed, because I haven't played Prime 1 in years.

Really stood out for me. Am I imagining things?

Desiato

Culex said:
So i beat Thardus again on my Prime 1 run, and I noticed the amount of bloom lighting in the room was INSANE. I don't remember if this was added, improved or changed, because I haven't played Prime 1 in years.

You are not. They added bloom lighting in places in Prime 1, that was one of them.

Actually, that's the only time I remember seeing the bloom lighting in Prime 1. Does anyone know if it's anywhere else as well?

Prez

Tab0203 said:
The bounding box is close to perfect in this game. So smooth and fluid.

Turning speed and pointer dead zone customization would have been been nice, but it's not a big deal. Brilliant controls.

As always, ignore the moire effect, distorted colors, black level etc.
(480i @ 60Hz, RGB cable, Philips 36" 16:9 flat screen CRT SDTV)

Metroid Prime:

Why 480i? Don't tell me the European version doesn't have progressive scan....

OMG Aero

Culex said:

Are you sure that wasn't just the fog that Thardus creates about half way into the fight?
It's supposed to make it so you can hardly see without the thermal visor.

Osuwari

GrotesqueBeauty said:

that was the situation for me. i didn't notice that those effects were gone until people started complaining on the internet and i've played mp1 on gc extensively for speed runs and stuff. now it can't be unseen :(

Top Bottom