• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Teknoman

Gestahl said:
I'm talking about what makes it a worthwhile COLLECTOR'S EDITION you babbling ninnies.

• It costs less than your average 10 bucks more collectors edition.
  • You cant get a new play control version of MP1 or MP2 in english any other way.
  • The way the case isnt really cheaply made like most recent collectors editions.
  • The cool art slip inside the case that summarizes the Prime trilogy
  • The fact that its probably only going to be limited in quantity

RedShift said:
Not even worth the DVD I burned it onto.

Really?

Gestahl

TwinIonEngines said:
It's got "Collector's Edition" printed on the box. Sexy.

Wait that terrible yellow streak is actually on the box art?

It's 60 fucking dollars in Canada and if all it is is a slip and a tin case then fuck it, I'll wait until the games are cheaper in value.

Prime Blue said:
Read the post again and realize that Nintex didn't even mention the weapon effects. Also, the water splashes are not debated, the 3D ripples after the splash are.

So is there any difference between pal and us besides the tin?

Gestahl said:
I'm talking about what makes it a worthwhile COLLECTOR'S EDITION you babbling ninnies.

This is a very valid question. Other than the fact it says it on the box, it probably is in regards to nintendo's standard. They never release tin boxes and art books. This is the equivalent to cat helmet or something.

OMG Aero

Bluemercury said:
So is there any difference between pal and us besides the tin?
They are definitely different versions of the game. For example, the pal trilogy has the same narration that the pal Prime 1 had but I'm not sure of any other changes.

Teknoman

Gestahl said:
Wait that terrible yellow streak is actually on the box art?

It's 60 fucking dollars in Canada and if all it is is a slip and a tin case then fuck it, I'll wait until the games are cheaper in value.
25i3m76.jpg

qxqtzk.jpg

5y6bzn.jpg

dgrzlu.jpg

sbmyid.jpg

If its not limited in quantity, go for the wait if you dont feel its worth it.

But just the fact that its all 3 prime games on one disc with improved versions of 1 and 2even without the fancy packaging alone make it a "collectors edition" since I dont think they'll be releasing seperate english versions of MP1 and 2 with new controls...just not sure if Nintendo made it in limited quantities.

Gestahl

Teknoman said:
25i3m76.jpg

qxqtzk.jpg

5y6bzn.jpg

dgrzlu.jpg

sbmyid.jpg

If its not limited in quantity, go for the wait if you dont feel its worth it.

But just the fact that its all 3 prime games on one disc with improved versions of 1 and 2even without the fancy packaging alone make it a "collectors edition" since I dont think they'll be releasing seperate english versions of MP1 and 2 with new controls...just not sure if Nintendo made it in limited quantities.

Well that looks a lot better without the hideous yellow stripe going across. I'll wait until it hits a reasonable 40 or so dollars.

Gestahl

ryan-ts said:
You'll be waiting a while.

Oh no I will have to wait an indeterminate amount of time to buy three games that I already own and have played quite extensively the horror the horror

VAIL

RedShift said:
Not even worth the DVD I burned it onto.

Was nice knowin ya, well actually if you feel some of the best gaming last gen isn't worth 1 recordable media, then no it's not nice to know you.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Gestahl said:
Oh no I will have to wait an indeterminate amount of time to buy three games that I already own and have played quite extensively the horror the horror

The revamped controls in Prime and Echoes are worth the full price of admission.

[Nintex]

Bluemercury said:
It was Nintex who said they were there, i assume he has the game.
I noticed that the particle effects on the water and the light trails on the walls from the beams are still there. I didn't know the water could actually ripple in the original. The "freezing over"(I just got the ice beam) is removed and the electric effect on the wave beam is gone too.

OMG Aero

Maarten Jalink said:
So did any Europe chap receive his/her download ticket? Or am I just too late with registering (last tuesday)?
I haven't had anything about a download ticket yet and I registered the game on release date.

Johnas

Lyphen said:
I remember having to memorize the environment because turning slowed you down horribly during a speed run. No more! I can actually enjoy the environment and not sidestep through the entire game.

I've been wondering if this package will lead to new speed run records for Prime 1 and/or 2, if the new control scheme would help bring the total time down by a minute or more.

[Nintex] said:
I noticed that the particle effects on the water and the light trails on the walls from the beams are still there. I didn't know the water could actually ripple in the original. The "freezing over"(I just got the ice beam) is removed and the electric effect on the wave beam is gone too.
So...are the water ripples from the video definitely gone?

JRW

Prime Blue said:
So...are the water ripples from the video definitely gone?

Yes they're gone from Trilogy version of MP1.(At least my US/NTSC copy) I have no idea why they couldn't keep this and the other missing effects.

sinnergy

JRW said:
Yes they're gone from Trilogy version of MP1.(At least my US/NTSC copy) I have no idea why they couldn't keep this and the other missing effects.
Maybe the SDK for NGC on Wii isn't the same as the NGC one. Or it was coded in a matter that it only worked on NGC and rewriting it would take to much time.

btw those effects are also not in the PAL release. Also not the overheating from the GUN.

JRW

[Nintex] said:
I followed this thread a bit and:
- The light trails on the wall from the beams in Prime, they are there in the PAL verion

Huh? I see lighting on nearby walls when firing the various cannons in my NTSC Trilogy version.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Just finished playing through Prime 1. It's still one of my favorite games ever. Though it seemed noticeably easier this time... did they change the difficulty at all?

Anyway, I played through the whole thing in less than 2 days, so I'm a little Metroided out for now... I'll be waiting a bit to play 2 and 3.

[Nintex]

JRW said:
Huh? I see lighting on nearby walls when firing the various cannons in my NTSC Trilogy version.
I think someone said they were gone?

Anyway, the biggest problem is that everyone has different names for these effects. I called the water thing not static, so people thought the ripple effect was there. Someone said the beam trails were gone and I assumed he was talking about the effects on the walls. We need proper names for these effects. :lol

Chacranajxy said:
Just finished playing through Prime 1. It's still one of my favorite games ever. Though it seemed noticeably easier this time... did they change the difficulty at all?

Anyway, I played through the whole thing in less than 2 days, so I'm a little Metroided out for now... I'll be waiting a bit to play 2 and 3.
I think that most of us forgot how the aiming in MP worked. I popped in the GC version to look at some texture improvements earlier and due to the original control scheme it felt like a different game. In MP1 you just locked on to stuff so if something was out of your view you couldn't hit it. You couldn't wave the gun around like in the Trilogy version. You could only free-aim by holding R and you still couldn't hit certain angles and most of all you couldn't move while holding the R button. The Trilogy version of the game is easier because it controls better.

JRW

[Nintex] said:
I think someone said they were gone?

Anyway, the biggest problem is that everyone has different names for these effects. I called the water thing not static, so people thought the ripple effect was there. Someone said the beam trails were gone and I assumed he was talking about the effects on the walls. We need proper names for these effects. :lol

Guess ill have to hook up my gamecube and compare both side by side. I know for sure the 3D water ripples and cannon effects are missing (heat shimmer after rapid fire, ice beam causing frozen effect on cannon) but thats all ive noticed so far.

bubka

anyone get a freezing elevator in MP1... haha just kidding, I would image they removed those bugs from the GC days

Teknoman

BorkBork said:
The revamped controls in Prime and Echoes are worth the full price of admission.

True. Its like RE4 or DK jungle beat. They feel like new experiences altogether, even better than playing the original versions.

But yeah Nintendo games do take a long time to drop in price.

Desiato said:
You know the Wii can play Gamecube games, right?:lol

Hes trying to compare them side by side.

A few nights ago I turned off the helmet and the HUD while on Phendrana Drifts (right before I went off to go find the boost ball) and all I can say is WOW. Phendrana Drifts in true widescreen with no clutter is the most beautiful thing I've seen on my TV since I first played Galaxy. I'll still turn on the HUD now and then for trickier areas (especially Magmoor, Phazon Mines and of course the boss battles) but the helmet itself is never coming back again.

It's not just revamped controls for the first two games, having three games in one disc and fancy packaging with a nifty art slip, there's all sorts of subtle tweaks that have been made from technical things like improved streaming/loading to gameplay balancing, morphball spinners not requiring as much button spamming to activate, enemies not being damage sponges.

I wasn't planning on buying the trilogy, I already own all three games, I've played through the first two a fair bit, I've got a sizeable backlog I should be playing through and there's quite a few games coming out that I really, really want. I've got Muramasa pre-ordered, I just bought Professor Layton & The Diabolical Box and Batman: Arkham Asylum, yet here I sit, playing Metroid Prime for the umpteenth time.

Yeah the trilogy is 60$ in Canada but it's the director's cuts of three of the best damn games to come out on the Gamecube and the Wii on one disc. Having played through a decent chunk of Prime with its varied improvements (omg morphball jump) I'd say it's worth it.

MiniDitka

Agent Unknown said:
A few nights ago I turned off the helmet and the HUD while on Phendrana Drifts (right before I went off to go find the boost ball) and all I can say is WOW. Phendrana Drifts in true widescreen with no clutter is the most beautiful thing I've seen on my TV since I first played Galaxy. I'll still turn on the HUD now and then for trickier areas (especially Magmoor, Phazon Mines and of course the boss battles) but the helmet itself is never coming back again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sGPX7mkGgU

JRW

JRW said:
Guess ill have to hook up my gamecube and compare both side by side. I know for sure the 3D water ripples and cannon effects are missing (heat shimmer after rapid fire, ice beam causing frozen effect on cannon) but thats all ive noticed so far.

Couple more things to add:
- Idle animations are missing from Trilogy MP1, on gamecube version she'll start messing with the cannon after awhile, twisting it, pushing buttons etc.

- The already mentioned missing 3D water ripple effects from trilogy also apply to Lava, you can also shoot the water/lava with the cannon to see the ripples or even bomb underwater.

Desiato

JRW said:
Of course but it would be easier to compare if I had both games going at the same time.
Point taken.:D But still, doing all that to see a few effects is too much effort (at least for my lazy ass).

You know, I always thought the water ripples in Prime 1 looked a bit too thick. It was as if Samus was rolling around in jello. So perhaps this isn't a bad thing.

JRW said:
Couple more things to add:
- Idle animations are missing from Trilogy MP1, on gamecube version she'll start messing with the cannon after awhile, twisting it, pushing buttons etc.

- The already mentioned missing 3D water ripple effects from trilogy also apply to Lava, you can also shoot the water/lava with the cannon to see the ripples or even bomb underwater.

Seems like its mp1 which suffered for the trilogy i wonder why.....

Diortem7

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Were there always Fission Metroids in the Phazon Mines after you beat the Omega Pirate? I don't remember that.
No, they definitely weren't there in the original version. They were only in the impact crater. I could be wrong, but I think the change was taken from the PAL and Japanese versions.

Diortem7 said:
No, they definitely weren't there in the original version. They were only in the impact crater. I could be wrong, but I think the change was taken from the PAL and Japanese versions.
Thanks. It seems like sort of an unnecessary and obnoxious change. The Phazon Mines are already more tedious for exploration/backtracking than they ought to be (switch beam, strafe and kill troopers, wash, rinse, repeat), and now I have to herd Metroids into groups and waste power bombs just to get from room to room without being knocked around? Lame.

Osuwari

i see this

DavidDayton said:
24b9t7a.jpg

(Trying to do a screen capture with Vista was harder than I thought... but, using the game's screen capture tool, a USB Gamebridge, and DScaler, I managed to work it out.)

i raise you

mp1time.png

my capture card is an ancient POS and the wii's snapshot suck too but the time is visible at least.

oatmeal

Banned
Wow, I got the Ice Beam and went through the downed space ship thing...got to a point and it said I couldn't proceed...FUCK.

So I had to figure out how to get out of there (not easy underwater) and then got the hint for Phendrana Drifts. WTF? I was no where NEAR there...

Anyhoo...made it to Phendrana, got to where I'm supposed to be going but am stumped now. I can hit the stalagtites off the ceiling on one side of this big ass room (with the Hunter Metroid), and that leads to a save station. The other one, though...mother fucker is just smiling at me. I have wasted 30+ missiles on it, and NOTHING.

FUCK.

Do I need the grapple hook for this? If so, wow, I'm doing this way wrong. But the help system said I need to go to this area with the gravity suit.

FML

Osuwari

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Were there always Fission Metroids in the Phazon Mines after you beat the Omega Pirate? I don't remember that.

there's a crapload of changes between the GC NTSC and PAL versions that now made their way into the NTSC trilogy version. that's one of them.

Ridley's new moves and some other details also carried over from the GC PAL version.

Osuwari

oatmeal said:
Wow, I got the Ice Beam and went through the downed space ship thing...got to a point and it said I couldn't proceed...FUCK.

So I had to figure out how to get out of there (not easy underwater) and then got the hint for Phendrana Drifts. WTF? I was no where NEAR there...

Anyhoo...made it to Phendrana, got to where I'm supposed to be going but am stumped now. I can hit the stalagtites off the ceiling on one side of this big ass room (with the Hunter Metroid), and that leads to a save station. The other one, though...mother fucker is just smiling at me. I have wasted 30+ missiles on it, and NOTHING.

FUCK.

Do I need the grapple hook for this? If so, wow, I'm doing this way wrong. But the help system said I need to go to this area with the gravity suit.

FML

you can reach the gravity suit without grapple. look carefully at what stalactites you shoot down and the place that is marked.

oatmeal

Banned
I've turned it off, I saved in that room so I'll be right there.

There must be a third one I'm missing...need to rescan the shit.

*sigh*

I'm thinking of getting the Trilogy, but is it worth getting Metroid Prime 1 Pal for the Gamecube if I only played the NTSC version? I want the definitive version of Metroid Prime 1.

Top Bottom