• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

JSnake

I got my press copy of this two days ago. Anyone want some impressions? I ask because you've all played these games and know what you're getting into.

OMG Aero

JSnake said:
I got my press copy of this two days ago. Anyone want some impressions? I ask because you've all played these games and know what you're getting into.
Is the rewards system like Metroid Prime 3's where for the best unlockables you have to have received friend vouchers instead of just using the ones you earn in the game?
Edit: Oh and also, do you only get one save file per Prime game? I looked at the Giant Bomb video above and it looks like instead of having three slots to save your data you only have one for each game which kinda sucks if you do.

JSnake said:
I'll bite. Could you answer the question I posted earlier?

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I saw the vid someone posted about which sequence breaks made it through the porting process, but I didn't see any mention of whether you can still use the Player's Choice workaround to get the space jump boots first in Prime. Does anyone know yet?
I'm also interested in the answer to OMG Aero's voucher question. I've been wondering that as well.

luoapp

JSnake said:

Does the "metroid prime 2 multiplayer" mode support play over internet?

Prez

HUELEN10 said:
You said flatscreen and NOT flat panel, therefore I suggest my TV to you, the Sony KD-34XBR970! Below are some pics.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Wii looks awesome on this set. Was actually the reason I got it!:D

As for this game, I double checked, and the HUD is indeed stretched. No biggie, but it is good to know, that way you know that it's meant to look like that.

Looks awesome :eek:

Could you post some closer pictures? So the screen looks the same size as 2-3 metres from the TV.

There is this Developers Voice video on Youtube, regarding the trilogy.

PS - I really like the Retro Studios, the actualy studios, they seem really homely, and cosy.
The video doesn't load properly, you have to press play, and wait for it to stream. You'll see what I mean. It goes straight to the end without playing, the first time the page loads.

click here

EDIT: apparently it's now fixed.

JSnake

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I'll bite. Could you answer the question I posted earlier?

I'm also interested in the answer to OMG Aero's voucher question. I've been wondering that as well.

I don't know, I'm not pro enough to do it and see. :(

OMG Aero said:
Is the rewards system like Metroid Prime 3's where for the best unlockables you have to have received friend vouchers instead of just using the ones you earn in the game?
Edit: Oh and also, do you only get one save file per Prime game? I looked at the Giant Bomb video above and it looks like instead of having three slots to save your data you only have one for each game which kinda sucks if you do.

Seems that way. I looked through the music and from the five I've unlocked for purchase, all five require a friend credit. Friend credits are the silver tokens, right?

You have three Mii files and each Mii file is limited to one save per game.

Giolon

EvilMario said:
I may have to pick between this and Muramasa. Oh dear.
No, you don't. You have to get both.

JSnake said:
Seems that way. I looked through the music and from the five I've unlocked for purchase, all five require a friend credit. Friend credits are the silver tokens, right?
Friend Credits were green in MP3.

JSnake

Giolon said:
Friend Credits were green in MP3.

Oh then ignore what I said. I'll check again.

Fake edit: OK yeah from what I can see, stuff like the screenshot tool etc requires friend credits.

Nabs

the thoroughbred said:
There is this Developers Voice video on Youtube, regarding the trilogy.

PS - I really like the Retro Studios, the actualy studios, they seem really homely, and cosy.
The video doesn't load properly, you have to press play, and wait for it to stream. You'll see what I mean. It goes straight to the end without playing, the first time the page loads.

click here

EDIT: apparently it's now fixed.

very nice. looks like miyamoto also inspired the visors.

jrricky

Banned
Oh God! Professor Layton is coming out next week too which I have on preorder. I forgot that I have to go and preorder this too though, will do on Sunday...

Red Scarlet

Do the barssssssss.

barz.gif

TheExodu5

Banned
Contemplating getting this.

I'm gonna have to play some more MP1 that Master Ninja sent me. I like it so far, but I'm afraid it will turn out like MP3 (long, repetitive, and most importantly, it didn't feel like Metroid at all).

Osuwari

Gelry said:
I'm wondering if I will be able to play Metroid Prime 2: Echoes with this. The gamecube version gives me motion sickness. Weird thing is: only MP2 does this. MP1 and MP3 are both fine. I have no idea what is causing this, but it is making it impossible for me to finish it. (Unless in 10 minute bursts)

I finished the other two, but in Echoes, I'm currently stuck as it has been too long and I don't know which
Temple Keys I have already found. The final ones those are, with the hidden monster things you need to spot with the visor.
How far near the ending is that?

heh this is quite interesting.
it was the complete opposite for me. the first game in first person perspective i could play without getting motion sickness was mp2. even mp1 caused it. after beating mp2, i went back to mp1 and could finally play it and beat it.

edit: space jump boots cannot be obtained like in the old version. bomb physics and dash physics were changed and it is no longer possible to get the item early. some talented mp1 gamers already tried to get them for hours without results.

also, the silver credits are given when you reach new areas/get temple keys/do other misc game progress. friend credits aren't in mp1 or 2.

Additional info concerning sequence breaks for Metroid Prime
Additional info concerning sequence breaks for Metroid Prime 2

TheExodu5 said:

I'm gonna have to play some more MP1 that Master Ninja sent me. I like it so far, but I'm afraid it will turn out like MP3 (long, repetitive, and most importantly, it didn't feel like Metroid at all).

Well, unless you really hate the 3D take on the metroid formula, you should like 1 and love 2. 3 is a nice game, but it's certainly not a good Metroid game, the game is way too linear and scripted to deverse the its name.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
AniHawk said:
Maybe I should give those first two games another shot.
don't. the discovery you've been wrong all this time may do weird things to your brain.

Osuwari

-PXG- said:
They released MP2 standalone for the Wii in Japan? Wow, news to me.

mp1 was released alone too.

japan didn't get the triology. looks like it was a NOA/NOE thing to make the games sell.

TheExodu5

Banned
RockmanWhore said:
Well, unless you really hate the 3D take on the metroid formula, you should like 1 and love 2. 3 is a nice game, but it's certainly not a good Metroid game, the game is way too linear and scripted to deverse the its name.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. :D

jaydogg691

Hey,

Is this game out already? I pre-ordered this game, but didn't know its release date. I just checked Gamestop.com and it says it's shipping now.

jaydogg691

I only pre-ordered Prime Trilogy so I can get the shirt, but they ran out of shirts. I think this is the first time I've pre-ordered a game with out know its release date.

Diortem7

RockmanWhore said:
I disagree, but I understand why you'd feel that way. The way I look at it is that the first Metroid Prime is like a 3D translation of Super Metroid and Corruption is a 3D translation of Fusion. Both games have some similarities in their art and tone and are also both more linear and story driven. The only Metroid game that doesn't deserve the name is Hunters in my opinion.

TheExodu5

Banned
Diortem7 said:
I disagree, but I understand why you'd feel that way. The way I look at it is that the first Metroid Prime is like a 3D translation of Super Metroid and Corruption is a 3D translation of Fusion. Both games have some similarities in their art and tone and are also both more linear and story driven. The only Metroid game that doesn't deserve the name is Hunters in my opinion.

My problem with MP3 was that it was too linear, too story driven, the atmosphere sucked, and you never felt alone like in Super Metroid. The sound design was also well below the masterpiece that is Super Metroid.

The controls were great though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TheExodu5 said:

Metroid Prime 1 is a Metroid title, and a great one at that. The other two are just decent games.

Nabs

Gelry said:
I'm wondering if I will be able to play Metroid Prime 2: Echoes with this. The gamecube version gives me motion sickness. Weird thing is: only MP2 does this. MP1 and MP3 are both fine. I have no idea what is causing this, but it is making it impossible for me to finish it. (Unless in 10 minute bursts)

Weird. I got motion sickness from Prime 1 but got rid of it once I turned off the hud lag. I dont remember messing with it in Prime 2, but I may have.

boiled goose

good with gravy
TheExodu5 said:
My problem with MP3 was that it was too linear, too story driven, the atmosphere sucked, and you never felt alone like in Super Metroid. The sound design was also well below the masterpiece that is Super Metroid.

you should love prime 1 then.

the game IS atmosphere.
if i had to pick one 3D game to best describe the atmosphere that a video game can create that movies and books cannot it would be MP1.

EvilMario said:
I may have to pick between this and Muramasa. Oh dear.

get Muramasa now get trilogy later.

nintendo first party games will be easy to find.

upandaway

TheExodu5 said:

You're saying this like MP3 is worse than MP/2 in every single aspect, and that's not true.

As far as the design of each room (excluding the generic corridors) in the game goes, it's better than the first MPs. I really love the overall environment art.

EDIT:
This isn't really Trilogy related, but it's related to the trilogy as a whole, so I thought it's a ton of cool information:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/101/1016511p1.html

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TheExodu5 said:
The sound design was also well below the masterpiece that is Super Metroid.

MP3 has some of the best music in the series. Maybe not quite up to par with Super Metroid, but brushing it aside is a mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nMFLquJeCc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SySV9xBU6M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P7jdnU06ew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dTxmdH01dE

RockmanWhore said:

Eh, it's less linear than Fusion, although it would have been better if it was more isolationist.

Dragmire

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is the Collector's Edition only available for people who pre-order? Will I be able to get it if I get the game a few months from now?

Ulairi

Banned
Dragmire said:
Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is the Collector's Edition only available for people who pre-order? Will I be able to get it if I get the game a few months from now?

In the states, it is only sold as a collector's edition. You should be just fine picking it up in the future.

Neki

I have both Metroid Prime 1 and 3 and have beat them both. I don't know if I should get this or not... all on one disc, new controls, and I'll actually get to play Metroid Prime 2. decisions decisions.

ZealousD said:
MP3 has some of the best music in the series. Maybe not quite up to par with Super Metroid, but brushing it aside is a mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nMFLquJeCc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SySV9xBU6M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P7jdnU06ew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dTxmdH01dE

Eh, it's less linear than Fusion, although it would have been better if it was more isolationist.
None of that music could top Phendrana Drifts. What a perfect track.

Osuwari

Ultimoo said:
I have both Metroid Prime 1 and 3 and have beat them both. I don't know if I should get this or not... all on one disc, new controls, and I'll actually get to play Metroid Prime 2. decisions decisions.

if this isn't enough to buy the triology, i don't know what else it would take for the go ahead.

Just ordered on Amazon. It said i get the poster if i preordered so hopefully that will arrive around the time the games get here.

Side Note: Reading some of the impressions of MP2 and 3 made me a bit sad. Its like most of you all want Super Metroid (like Prime 1 basically was) again and again and complain about everything that takes away from the "classic" metroid vibe. The reason I like MP3 so much was because it played like Prime only better, but on a grander scale. People talking to me didnt detract from my fun. It was cool to learn more about the galaxy the world is set in. Just my impression anyway.

Hopefully Other M will get you guys thinking a bit differently on the franchise as a whole. I dont want to be alone on a planet every game! Samus is a bounty Hunter, not Lara croft after all.

Top Bottom