• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Gamer @ Heart said:
Just ordered on Amazon. It said i get the poster if i preordered so hopefully that will arrive around the time the games get here.

Side Note: Reading some of the impressions of MP2 and 3 made me a bit sad. Its like most of you all want Super Metroid (like Prime 1 basically was) again and again and complain about everything that takes away from the "classic" metroid vibe. The reason I like MP3 so much was because it played like Prime only better, but on a grander scale. People talking to me didnt detract from my fun. It was cool to learn more about the galaxy the world is set in. Just my impression anyway.

Hopefully Other M will get you guys thinking a bit differently on the franchise as a whole. I dont want to be alone on a planet every game! Samus is a bounty Hunter, not Lara croft after all.

High five!

andthebeatgoeson

bumpkin said:
The last one is a bit of a disappointment because it won't fit if you're normal sized or smaller; the one I got from my local GameStop is an XL which is too big for me. So really the only bonus swag I got that's of use to me is the poster. It's cool, but it's not a shirt. :(

It'll be the right size when you are 40, bald and cooler. Break that shit out during the family picnic and show them how cool your stains are.

The_Dude

I had to cancel my order for financial reasons, now I see it was about to ship :( I swear, every time I either decide to wait or am forced to wait for a game, it comes out early. Oh, well, hopefully next month.

upandaway

Gamer @ Heart said:
Just ordered on Amazon. It said i get the poster if i preordered so hopefully that will arrive around the time the games get here.

Side Note: Reading some of the impressions of MP2 and 3 made me a bit sad. Its like most of you all want Super Metroid (like Prime 1 basically was) again and again and complain about everything that takes away from the "classic" metroid vibe. The reason I like MP3 so much was because it played like Prime only better, but on a grander scale. People talking to me didnt detract from my fun. It was cool to learn more about the galaxy the world is set in. Just my impression anyway.

Hopefully Other M will get you guys thinking a bit differently on the franchise as a whole. I dont want to be alone on a planet every game! Samus is a bounty Hunter, not Lara croft after all.
Just take into account where you are. Not just GAF, but all really dedicated gaming communities, want Super Metroid over and over again, and they're entitled to their opinion. You can't deny that the sequels to Prime had expectations to be what other people wanted, right?

Add to that that the Prime games are pretty much with no competition on the market right now, when you're talking about 3D exploration platformers. Even with 2D, the only other game out is Shadow Complex. There isn't exactly an overflowing amount of these games, so it's a given that people will want Prime to retain its core qualities.

upandaway said:
Just take into account where you are. Not just GAF, but all really dedicated gaming communities, want Super Metroid over and over again, and they're entitled to their opinion. You can't deny that the sequels to Prime had expectations to be what other people wanted, right?

Add to that that the Prime games are pretty much with no competition on the market right now, when you're talking about 3D exploration platformers. Even with 2D, the only other game out is Shadow Complex. There isn't exactly an overflowing amount of these games, so it's a given that people will want Prime to retain its core qualities.

Reading over what i posted, i didnt even explain why i was sad. What i should have said was that i hope developers aren't listening to communities like this and basing any design decisions on comments like i described. I want to experience and see new stuff but too many forum dwellers like me dont know they want it until they have it.

Owensboro

Welp, this is the first time I have ever bought (or pre-purchased) 3 games that I've already owned, and I don't feel ashamed of it at all :lol . I'm actually getting real excited about playing through all 3 of these games again, and it allowed me to get some free shipping (as well as pre-order the new Professor Layton game).

I <3 this series of games so much! Maybe I can repeat my initial play through of Metroid Prime 1 and not sleep for 2 days...

Kuramu

dark10x said:
If you're thinking about an LCD or something, stop right there. Your Wii games will go to shit. You're better off with a standard def CRT monitor (an HDTV CRT would be the best solution with a good plasma coming right behind that)...

Dammit, I forgot I posted in here. I bought an LCD last night (Samsung 640). Haven't even unwrapped the screen. Should I send it back? Are there no LCDs that are ok? I will not buy a huge 200 pound CRT widescreen.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The reason I like MP3 so much was because it played like Prime only better, but on a grander scale.
I actually kind of disagree with that. The game was pretty segmented due to the inclusion of multiple planets/locations. Prime 1 and 2 felt so much grander due to the fact that you could actually travel to every area on foot. That's not to say I didn't enjoy what they did with Prime 3, I simply thought it lost a bit of that immersion due to its structure.

Dammit, I forgot I posted in here. I bought an LCD last night (Samsung 640). Haven't even unwrapped the screen. Should I send it back? Are there no LCDs that are ok? I will not buy a huge 200 pound CRT widescreen.
I honestly wouldn't truly recommend a CRT for a main television due to its (large cabinet) size and (small screen) size.

I would recommend a plasma (especially for gaming), but not a Samsung plasma (Panasonic is great and Pioneer, if you can find one, is even better).

Still, if you're not too terribly picky you should be happy with that LCD as many other people around the world are. What model did you pick up?

upandaway

Owensboro said:
I <3 this series of games so much! Maybe I can repeat my initial play through of Metroid Prime 1 and not sleep for 2 days...
2 days of no sleep are way more than enough for Prime 1. I think I took around 13 hours to beat it first time, and now I can do it in 3-4.

If you beat the whole trilogy as a marathon without sleeping, now that's something awesome.

EDIT:
Kuramu: If it's any help, I just tested my Wii on a Samsung LCD to see if it's worth buying one, and... it didn't look too hot. The difference wasn't huge but the colors were a bit off.
If you can still do something with it, and you don't really have much to gain from keeping it, you might as well, I think. But it was definitely something I could play on, it's just that my CRT is slightly better.

Neo Samus

Kuramu said:

Playing Wii games on my LG 42' LCD looks really good to me. GC look pretty good too (with a few exceptions). The only issues I notice are watching videos (like Nintendo Channel) really show how grainy the videos can be if they are not high quality. But besides that I think the picture looks fantastic.

Owensboro

upandaway said:
2 days of no sleep are way more than enough for Prime 1. I think I took around 13 hours to beat it first time, and now I can do it in 3-4.

If you beat the whole trilogy as a marathon without sleeping, now that's something awesome.

Hah, it wasn't a straight play through unfortunately. I had to go to classes (was in college at the time) and completely didn't study for a test, but was still able to pass. My roommate though I was insane mostly because he would go to bed with me playing, and then wake up to me still playing the game. Not to mention I actually 100%'d the game on my first play because I was all OCD about that kind of stuff back then.

NOTE: This shouldn't be something I am proud of, but for some reason....man. I'm nerd proud.

I can't wait to see how much of the game I actually remember!

dr_octagon

Banned
Metroid Prime is amazing, I loved Echoes and Corruption but the original will always be the best out of the three. The Wii controls are a welcome update, just need a HD remake now.

scitek

My Wii gaming will pick up considerably in the coming weeks as I'm moving into a new house, and we're building a theater downstairs. Until it's finished, though, I'll have no access to an HDTV, so I'll be relying on my old 27" Sharp set for my kicks. Luckily it looks really good through component, but it's only a 480i set and in 4:3, which drives me nuts nowadays. I need to get some component cables for my Xbox 360, too, now that I think about it. I've been using HDMI this whole time.

Are the first 2 games significantly better than the third?

I hadn't played a Metroid game since Super Metroid and was disgusted by Prime 3. What an abomination. Shameful.

Captain N

gregor7777 said:

I hadn't played a Metroid games since Super Metroid and was disgusted by Prime 3. What an abomination. Shameful.

I think the first one is really good and captured the feel of Metroid very well.

Where did people see that this was shipping already? I pre-ordered the day those bonus items went up. I just checked my order status, and it still says it won 't ship till the 24th, and now there's no poster listed and the shirt is listed as backordered. If I don't get my bonus items I'm unleashing a shit ton of calls to their corporate offices. I knew I shouldn't have pre-ordered from them. Last time I did for a bonus item was the one DS Castlevania, that came with the music and the cardboard box. The box was fucking crushed and destroyed and they were just like ohh well shit happens.

Captain N

Shin Johnpv said:
Where did people see that this was shipping already? I pre-ordered the day those bonus items went up. I just checked my order status, and it still says it won 't ship till the 24th, and now there's no poster listed and the shirt is listed as backordered. If I don't get my bonus items I'm unleashing a shit ton of calls to their corporate offices. I knew I shouldn't have pre-ordered from them. Last time I did for a bonus item was the one DS Castlevania, that came with the music and the cardboard box. The box was fucking crushed and destroyed and they were just like ohh well shit happens.

They just switched it this morning and now the guide is shipping and the game got moved back to shipping on august 24th.

TheExodu5

Banned
dark10x said:
I actually kind of disagree with that. The game was pretty segmented due to the inclusion of multiple planets/locations. Prime 1 and 2 felt so much grander due to the fact that you could actually travel to every area on foot. That's not to say I didn't enjoy what they did with Prime 3, I simply thought it lost a bit of that immersion due to its structure.

In Super Metroid, you're constantly going deeper and deeper, unlocking new areas, and generally progressing.

In MP3, it feels like you're restarting the same game after every planet.

Javaman

Do the better controls make a big difference in difficulty? I've only play a couple of hours of the first and last ones.

jjasper

gregor7777 said:

I hadn't played a Metroid game since Super Metroid and was disgusted by Prime 3. What an abomination. Shameful.

Yes they are.

gregor7777 said:

I'd say the first 1 is much better than the second two (i'd say that's the general consensus). And if you like MP3 or MP2 better comes down to personal opinion (from what I've seen).

OMG Aero

Are people using component cables when they use their Wii on an LCD screen? I do and it looks fine, I don't understand why everyone is saying it's terrible.

TheExodu5

Banned
LCD doesn't look so bad. The biggest thing that LCD does to hurt Metroid Prime is ghosting, since it's quite apparent with such a fast 60fps game.

OMG Aero said:
Are people using component cables when they use their Wii on an LCD screen? I do and it looks fine, I don't understand why everyone is saying it's terrible.

In general, most Wii games look like total shit on my LCD, component or not. This has been the case for every HDTV I've seen the Wii on.

SMG looked good, however. MP3 looked OK at times.

Captain N said:
I think the first one is really good and captured the feel of Metroid very well.

Cool, I'll give MP1 a shot then. MP3 was such a bore. I hated it.

wrowa

slaughterking said:
Why on earth would you like the first game when you already hated Corruption?
Because Corruption has a bigger focus on action (compared to the other Prime games) which makes it a tad annoying somtimes? At least that's my opinion :p

In MP3, I didn't feel like I was exploring. Super Metroid gave me the feeling that there was a ton of places to explore at every turn, though some were clearly inaccessible in your current state.

MP3 felt guided and linear to me. Too much like typical generic FPS fare.

scitek

gregor7777 said:
In MP3, I didn't feel like I was exploring. Super Metroid gave me the feeling that there was a ton of places to explore at every turn, though some were clearly inaccessible in your current state.

If you're looking for no hand-holding and more exploration, you'd probably like the second the most. Though the dark/light world aspect might get a bit annoying. It's easily the most difficult of the three, though. I just replayed through the first Prime and I think it's pretty linear despite the ability to go to a lot of places early on.

jjasper

gregor7777 said:

I felt the same about 3 but loved the first 2.

The Hermit

gregor7777 said:

MP3 was too influentiated by FPS... hell, it even had a scort mission *facepalm*

While MP 2 had some issues and some people around here don´t like it that much(I loved it), Metroid Prime is the best Gamecube game, and even one of the best entry of the Metroid saga.

slaughterking said:
Why on earth would you like the first game when you already hated Corruption?

That's the same as saying that if someone hated Twilight Princess he shouldn't play Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker etc.

gregor7777 said:
In general, most Wii games look like total shit on my LCD, component or not. This has been the case for every HDTV I've seen the Wii on.

SMG looked good, however. MP3 looked OK at times.
I think Mario Kart Wii looks excellent on my HDTV (plasma), as does Zelda: Wind Waker.

Osuwari

Gamer @ Heart said:

i knw i'm in the minority but for me SM wasn't the "OMG AWESOME" game the media hyped up to be. it felt quite average in a lot of places. the only areas i feel are still unsurpassed are soundtrack and atmosphere. the controls are a pain and the level design is not that interesting.
the fact i played it after almost very other game in the series has an influence too. i really think that the first 2-3 metroid games you play are the ones that stick on you the most and the other ones don't seem as interesting in comparison when you get to them. my first games were Fusion, MZM and MP2 and coincidentally they're my favorite ones followed by MP1 (this game is so open free to explore once you learn a few sequence break tricks that it beats SM in exploration and freedom imo)

so, in a nutshell, most of the media played SM first and that's why they like it more and see the others as more of the same/want the others to be like SM. if you never played SM or played it only a bit and the prime trilogy is your first full metroid experience, i bet the prime series will end up being quite enjoyable.

also, mp2>mp1>mp3 but this is heavily tilted by sequence break potential which is extremely low in mp3 and thus reducing the replay value by a lot, but if you don't care about that, mp3 could be a better game than mp1 (i still think mp2 is the best. it has he most dangerous atmosphere in the trilogy and the most interesting bosses and puzzles)

dr_octagon

Banned
Baiano19 said:
MP3 was too influentiated by FPS... hell, it even had a scort mission *facepalm*

While MP 2 had some issues and some people around here don´t like it that much(I loved it), Metroid Prime is the best Gamecube game, and even one of the best entry of the Metroid saga.

I enjoyed the higher difficulty that MP2 brought compared to the other two games.

The original will always be seen as the best but I think each title has its charm and, although it was not perfect, I found Corruption to be a nice end to the series.

Struct09

I played a bit of MP1 on MPT last night. As expected the game holds up really well, and the new controls give it a fresh feeling. I jumped straight in with Veteran difficulty and "Advanced" controls.

MP1 is definitely the closest to Super Metroid when it comes to the 3D games, but the Prime sequels are still awesome for what they are. Echoes is my least favorite, I personally wasn't a big fan of the light/dark world mechanic. That being said, I still love Echoes as a game, and can't wait to replay it.

beef3483

Since we are ranking the Prime games, let me put in my two cents.

MP1=MP3>>>>MP2

Prime 2 had way too much tedious crap that inhibited the flow of exploration. You had to find keys in every world, then nine more at the end, you needed to scan all the luminoth to find the keys, the dark world was too segmented, and the stupid idea of the atmosphere hurting you was really annoying.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I wonder if this is the project that finally pushed Keller, Pacini, and Jack Matthews to leave Retro?

They said they didn't want to work on Metriod right now, Nintendo let them do their thing for a year, decided they weren't making enough money, forced this project on them, so they walked?

I think it's a great way to send off the series, I'm not knocking it, it's just Retro's history is sad and it really makes one wonder what else they have been doing since 2007: this clearly couldn't have been it.

I guess the IGN article that's up right now on Matt's tour of the Retro studios is making me wonder.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
John Harker said:
I wonder if this is the project that finally pushed Keller, Pacini, and Jack Matthews to leave Retro?

They said they didn't want to work on Metriod right now, Nintendo let them do their thing for a year, decided they weren't making enough money, forced this project on them, so they walked?

I think it's a great way to send off the series, I'm not knocking it, it's just Retro's history is sad and it really makes one wonder what else they have been doing since 2007: this clearly couldn't have been it.

I guess the IGN article that's up right now on Matt's tour of the Retro studios is making me wonder.

Reggie said just after this year's E3 that Retro's new game wasn't ready for the limelight yet. I'll be worried if we still don't hear from them by the end of next year's E3, but not before that.

upandaway

vanguardian1 said:
Reggie said just after this year's E3 that Retro's new game wasn't ready for the limelight yet. I'll be worried if we still don't hear from them by the end of next year's E3, but not before that.
If there's anything to worry about, it's not that they're working on something, but rather the quality of what they're working on. I don't doubt their technical abilities (fuck no), but after the recent articles it's more obvious now that Nintendo played a huge part of the conceptual stage, so you don't know how far they can go with ideas by themselves.

scitek

John Harker said:

I'm guessing they're working on something huge. Something Nintendo fans have really wanted for a long time and would go crazy about if not revealed at the right time, or they're working on something totally new and unheard of that uses MotionPlus in conjunction with the vitality sensor or something. Something that will be completely new to everyone in every sense. Matt said they had an extensively specific NDA, going so far as to mention things like Twitter and Facebook by name, and he also said half of the entire studio was wrapped off with caution tape so he knew not to go anywhere near there. It seems to me like they've just got something gigantic in the works.

Anghammarad

Neo Member
Sometimes it feels like - although undoubtedly incorrectly - I am the only one who loves all three parts of the trilogy equally. Altough I was quite late to the party - MP3 was the first game of the trilogy I played (and, blasphemous as it may sound, even the first Metroid game I ever played... how utterly foolish), I think all three possess an intrinsic quality. And I think all three parts do an equal good job of conveying the feeling of desolation and solitude. I will make a case for MP3, as it seems no one doubts that MP1 and MP2 give this feeling:

- you start out with some fellow bounty hunters, who even help you for a bit. Later on, you get to kill them one by one. So, even though you start with some friends, you lose them quite quickly.
- you get to visit a planet that is completely devastated by war, as can be witnessed by the remains of an advanced civilization. You even get to visit a part where communication with an Aurora Unit is impossible. Of course I talk about Bryyo.
- you get to visit a derelict training vessel, one of the creepiest locations in the Prime series (together with the Phazon Mines, I would argue). You see bodies dissolving, ruin everywhere and find an eerie message from an AU.

So I think while the feeling of solitude in MP3 is more subtle, it is there.

Having said all this, I am greatly looking forward to this trilogy. Perhaps I will even buy it when it comes in September (euro here), even though I just played them. It really is a wonderful trilogy, and I am happy to have devoted my first post on NeoGAF to it!

Let me in

scitek said:
It seems to me like they've just got something gigantic in the works.

Or just typical Nintendo secrecy? They're very specific about their announcements and very controlling of their properties. I don't believe Retro's current project is trivial, I just think Nintendo would hide anything, whether it's in production or in the conceptual stage.

So anyone who ordered from Gamestop expecting to get the Poster and the T-shirt, forget it. You're only getting the t-shirt. I just called customer service cause I got an email saying they're out of the poster, and the customer service rep is claiming that their supplier didn't send them any and no one is getting one. You will get 10 bucks off your next purchase at gamestop.com. Well that blows cause I hate ordering from them. Only reason I ordered from them in the first place was to get the shirt and the poster. I'd rather have the poster than the shirt.

Top Bottom