• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

FaithRaven

Neo Member
Thank you for registering Metroid Prime Trilogy at the official Nintendo of Europe website. You are one of the first 5.000 Metroid fans to do so!

Quite amazing considering the fact that I've received the game on 7th evening.

Oxx

I've never played NES Metroid, so this 'reward' from Nintendo actually has some value to me.

Unless I'm sick of Metroid by the time I've gone through Prime 1, 2, and 3.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Oxx said:
I've never played NES Metroid, so this 'reward' from Nintendo actually has some value to me.

Just remember that if you don't like the old Metroid, keep that thought to yourself here on GAF or you'll get part of a tag like mine. :/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oxx said:

NES Metroid has aged. It's fun if you played it before (nostalgic value), or if you can really put aside clunky gameplay mechanics for the 'original' experience, but ultimately a game like Super Metroid pretty much obliterates anything the original did.

I personally think Zero Mission is just a better way to experience it.

[Nintex]

Yay, one of the first 5000 to register, what do I get? Metroid NES, like that wasn't on Zero Mission and the original Prime. What's Nintendo going to do with New Super Mario Bros Wii? I know! A free Super Mario Bros. because no one played it yet, especially not Mario fans!

Struct09

EatChildren said:
NES Metroid has aged. It's fun if you played it before (nostalgic value), or if you can really put aside clunky gameplay mechanics for the 'original' experience, but ultimately a game like Super Metroid pretty much obliterates anything the original did.

Completely agreed. The original Metroid is hard to play these days, where as Zero Mission is still awesome. It's short and sweet too - I casually ran through it the other week in around 3 hours.

Desiato

EatChildren said:

Yup. Starting with 30 energy everytime you boot up the game is way too unforgiving. It's a good game at its core, but by today's standards not very playable.

Davey Cakes

If you want to experience the best version of the original Metroid, get Zero Mission.

Then, if you want to play the true original version in its NES glory, you can, right on the same cartridge, since it's an unlockable.

That's the beauty of the game.

beef3483

vanguardian1 said:
Just remember that if you don't like the old Metroid, keep that thought to yourself here on GAF or you'll get part of a tag like mine. :/

Well, it's probably the only Metroid game I didn't care for. A lot of aspects were frustrating, but thankfully all were fixed in later installments.

Curious about the title (having loved MP1 and doing a very slow burn on MP2), I noticed they have a surprising amount of these sitting in my local Best Buy after checking out the videogame sections. They had 33 on the shelf: 6 shelf spots filed with 5 copies each and a 7th with 3.

Thread reminded me that I still have MP2:Echoes to finish on GC, might be time to bring out the GC and have another go.

upandaway

What's about this Metroid not being playable? I had an awesome time with it when I first played it a year ago. It's night and day different from Zero Mission. They're like completely different games.

I also really like the music of the original Metroid. The GBA has this weird noise thing to it and the songs sound a bit worse even if they're more detailed.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah I've tried twice to play the original Metroid and I just can't do it. Starting with 30 energy, can't duck, no map... the game is just painful to play. Metroid II has aged a bit better but still a shows its age. Super Metroid is when the series really got to the point where it became timeless.

Link Man

Banned
OMG Aero said:
The explanation for how Metroid Prime got its weapons is probably just random phazon mutation, since that is the logbook's explanation for the Fission Metroid's invulnerability to all but one of Samus' beams.
Well, Samus's weapons are Chozo technology (as they are available on Zebes in the Chozo shrines), so I would guess that the Chozo entered the Leviathan fully armed and with Metroids, and the Metroids absorbed energy from the Phazon, causing them to become stronger and less docile. The Metroids attacked the Chozo, and one of them absorbed the Chozo weaponry, becoming Prime.

Or, better yet, they encountered the Leviathan's original guardian, and one of the Metroids sucked out it's life energy, absorbing the Phazon in its body. This one Metroid then was able to overwhelm the Chozo, and after defeating them, absorbed their weaponry.

After this incident, the Chozo sealed the impact crater.

I'm still wondering why from Prime onwards (or was it as early as "Super"? I can't remember) they started calling the Maru Mari the Morphball.

I mean, I know it's more obvious to call it a Morph Ball... but dammit, that's not its name!

(It doesn't actually bother me, I just find it curious.)

ZealousD

Monkeylord said:
I'm still wondering why from Prime onwards (or was it as early as "Super"? I can't remember) they started calling the Maru Mari the Morphball.

I mean, I know it's more obvious to call it a Morph Ball... but dammit, that's not its name!

Super Metroid called it the Morphing Ball.

Maru Mari is what the NES Metroid manual says it's called. But that same manual says that Samus is a dude. So, I wouldn't trust it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
ZealousD said:
Super Metroid called it the Morphing Ball.

Maru Mari is what the NES Metroid manual says it's called. But that same manual says that Samus is a dude. So, I wouldn't trust it.

Makes sense...I think the Japanese for "maru mari" would roughly come out to "round ball."

Osuwari

i hope people realize all 3 games are very linear when played the intended way. only when you start using sequence breaking is when you can really explore and go where you want (and that's mostly in mp1. in mp2, you need to get several items before you can crack it open. applies to the gc versions mostly since a lot of sequence breaking was stopped in the triology)

btw, i beat all 3 games with 100% items and scans and also beat mp2 on hypermode with 100% items. the game was actually a bit harder now since some bosses took more damage than on gc.

Davey Cakes

ZealousD said:
A dude and a cyborg.

Ah yes. It brings back memories of how completely befuddled I was way back then, when I learned that Samus was a girl.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So conflicted. I turned down helmet opacity to 0 and wow you can see so much more of the world. At the same time it robs the game of its claustrophobic feel and makes it more generic FPS. Anyone play with the helmet "off"?

soldat7

bob_arctor said:
So conflicted. I turned down helmet opacity to 0 and wow you can see so much more of the world. At the same time it robs the game of its claustrophobic feel and makes it more generic FPS. Anyone play with the helmet "off"?

I've turned the helmet completely off (still shows little circuit things) and have turned down the HUD to where it's extremely faded. Come to think of it, I'm turning it all off again as it's completely unnecessary on Normal.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ZealousD said:
Yeah I've tried twice to play the original Metroid and I just can't do it. Starting with 30 energy, can't duck, no map... the game is just painful to play.

If you walk left for about 25 seconds, you'll get the ability to roll/duck.

Monkeylord said:

I was reading some Metroid website somewhere, and the claim was that in some non-Japanese language, the notion conveyed by the two words resembling the phrase Maru Mai is the action of transforming into rolling.

soldat7 said:
I've turned the helmet completely off (still shows little circuit things) and have turned down the HUD to where it's extremely faded. Come to think of it, I'm turning it all off again as it's completely unnecessary on Normal.

Maybe i should do this. I like the helmets hud effect, but i do feel it is a bit intrusive. Did not know you could turn down the opacity. Only thing i find wrong with the game is its sd resolution, if only i could play this in hd.

Metroid Prime HD + Mouse Control would make it one of the best fps' ever.

ZealousD

DavidDayton said:
If you walk left for about 25 seconds, you'll get the ability to roll/duck.

*facepalm*

I'm talking about ducking and shooting. You know, so you can hit that stupid enemy that's right in front of you without needing the stupid wave beam.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Playing through Corruption now. It's sooooo much more streamlined than Echoes, perhaps a bit too much for my liking, now that I've played three games together. Only at Skytown though after kicking Ghor's ass. Will post final thoughts later.

I don't remember, but are Ship Missiles expansions basically useless filler?

Edit: huh, maybe not. I never used them to bomb enemies before. Evidently you can do that. :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BorkBork said:
I don't remember, but are Ship Missiles expansions basically useless filler?

Pretty much. You can call in the ship to attack enemies in open environments if I recall correctly, but it's largely completely useless. Ship missiles increase the amount of times you can call in the airstrikes before you need to find more ammo, but finding ammo is extremely easy as it basically gives it to you the moment you need it.

Red Scarlet

ZealousD said:
*facepalm*

I'm talking about ducking and shooting. You know, so you can hit that stupid enemy that's right in front of you without needing the stupid wave beam.

Use bombs. They're very early on in the game. Or jump over the enemy.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ZealousD said:
*facepalm*

Ah.

Not that I've ever played entirely through the first Metroid myself... a map would have been nice.

lordy88

I've beaten prime a while ago (I think around 4 years), and replayed it to some extent a couple times, and I had gotten to the start of the santc fortress in Echoes over two years ago, but that was the extent of my Metroid experience. So, I decided to pick this guy up a week ago, and after it arrived on Friday, I nearly got through the entirety of Prime over the course of the weekend :lol

The main thing that impressed me the most so far
(I just found my final artifact last night, took damn ages to backtrack all the way to the elite research room in the Phazon Mines. I HATE the phazon mines...)
is the incredibly high volume of secrets in the game. With 49 different missile expansions, 10 energy tanks, 12 artifacts, upgrades to weapons, and power bomb expansions, I was always immersed in the room I was in, hoping to spot something that would lead to an upgrade. I will admit, this is easily my favorite part of metroid. Having your game world as a one big treasure hunt makes me giddy inside, and all I want to do is do my best to find every last secret I can, and it gives me immense pleasure being rewarded for a clever bomb placement or out-of-the-way exploration. I really hope Echoes (which I barely remember now) and Corruption are on the same level with Prime when it comes to secrets.

Last thing here, thanks GAF for this thread, as I wasn't sure if I was going to purchase this trilogy until I started reading posts found here. My hype level raised through the roof, and I've had a great experience thus far. Let's just hope my GPA doesn't take a hit now...

soldat7

I'm at 14 hours, 84% logs scanned, 54% items found and I don't know...I just don't think I can be bothered searching every nook and cranny for any more missile upgrades and such. Maybe if the game was somewhat challenging on Normal, I'd care more. Otherwise, I'm having a blast with it and I think I have a ways to go
only 4/12 artifacts found so far
. I'm tempted to say that the game is almost TOO long. The atmosphere is to die for though, holy smokes.

I can't believe some folks dogging the original Metroid as it were little more than an afterthought just because it was refined (masterfully in both cases, yes) by Super and Zero Mission. Yes, it's rough around the edges and at times cheap. Cheapness and scuffed edges notwithstanding, it has great design all around, Hip Tanaka's soundtrack is still incredible ("I wanted to simulate the experience of encountering a new life form") and there are still few things more satisfying than meeting the challenge of beating Mother Brain AND surviving her Zebetite cannons all under 3 hours. Speaking of which, getting to replay the game as Samus in her true form is one of the coolest bonuses on the NES:

metroid_armorless_ultragm2003.PNG

oracrest

Agent Unknown said:
I can't believe some folks dogging the original Metroid as it were little more than an afterthought just because it was refined (masterfully in both cases, yes) by Super and Zero Mission. Yes, it's rough around the edges and at times cheap. Cheapness and scuffed edges notwithstanding, it has great design all around, Hip Tanaka's soundtrack is still incredible ("I wanted to simulate the experience of encountering a new life form") and there are still few things more satisfying than meeting the challenge of beating Mother Brain AND surviving her Zebetite cannons all under 3 hours. Speaking of which, getting to replay the game as Samus in her true form is one of the coolest bonuses on the NES:

metroid_armorless_ultragm2003.PNG

bilde.jpg

5 years later after playing it for the first time, and I'm embarassed to find out find out that you can beat the Mother Sheegoth without Rambo'ing it with morph ball bombs. Man was I impatient back in the day. :p

oracrest said:

edit: Sorry again for misinterpreting and for my rude, kneejerk reaction.

^^^

And the thing is, I beat Fusion first while I was about halfway through Prime
which caused me to start hoping Retro would eventually throw in an Omega Metroid boss fight of their own somewhere.
:D

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Speaking of paying tribute, I just realized things I didn't notice the first time playing through. Just off the top of my head, there are tons more:

-Grapple Guardian in Echoes gets stuck on the power poles while trying to grapple beam you (a nod to Draygon?)

-There are tube things you can blow up in Bryyo that look like the barriers in Mother Brain's room.

First things first -- I owned this and played this on the Gamecube, but I never really finished it. I got frustrated as hell with it... well now I've gone back to the dark world toxic-air nightmare.

I’ve never sworn so much at a TV set in my life. Well not since trying to do the jackknife time trial on Mirrors Edge and failing over and over and over again.

First pain in the arse was the boost guardian, but in the end I sussed that out. I went on an Energy Canister hunt, and managed to kill him quite easily with super rockets and charged light beam shots – the fight still went down to the wire though… last night I got to the lower part of Torvus Bog that has the mellow remix of the tune from Maridia in Super Metroid (I didn’t know this game had that tune! Awesome!) – for some reason I didn’t save and went down to one of the lowest levels, got the water jetpack upgrade thing, and the Alpha Blogg killed me. This is one boss I think might actually be harder with the Wii remote for aiming because the only weak point is in its mouth – you’re sort of locking on, but you can move the reticule outside of the lock on area. Thanks to not saving (stupid, stupid, stupid!!) I was set back quite far. It was one of those calmly turn the console off and watch something on TV while burning inside with rage moments.

What a fucking good game though! I realise now that I under-appreciated it when it came out. I haven’t fought Quadraxis or the SpiderBall Guardian yet, and if I remember right, they’re both gonna hand my ass to me.

Metroid Prime is the best of the three I think, and Metroid Prime 3 is perfectly balanced for someone who maybe isn't so hardcore (I enjoyed every minute of it), but Echoes is where you go if you really want to wrestle with a game to get it done. So good!

Got my NTSC US Trilogy today, but I will also buy the PAL version anyways.
So, does the PAL version contain the same stuff as the NTSC version besides the steelbook or is the artbook missing?

OMG Aero

vodka-bull said:
Got my NTSC US Trilogy today, but I will also buy the PAL version anyways.
So, does the PAL version contain the same stuff as the NTSC version besides the steelbook or is the artbook missing?
The artbook is in the PAL version. The only difference is the box.

oracrest

Agent Unknown said:
Yeah, so I rambled a bit, big deal. It was my heartfelt feelings on one of my favorite game experiences of all time, so you can piss off.

It was intended to look like respect and clapping.

Agent Unknown said:
Man, I geeked out when
the Omega Metroid made a surprise appearance at the end of Fusion.

I liked
The little research lab that had all of them in glass containers in the background

Luigiv

EatChildren said:

I wholeheartedly agree. I absolutely loved Fusion, The Prime Games*, Super, SoTN :)P) and Zero Mission (in that order) but for the love of me, no matter how hard I tried, I could never get into the original. The controls are clunky as hell so sooner or later I die and re-spawning at only 30hp at the very beginning of the map always killed my enthusiasm. To be far though I was playing the MP unlockable version with a GCN controller and no save states (dis-continuing play is effectively as bad as dieing with those limited passwords).

*This obviously doesn't include Hunters, which though I did like, I certainly did not absolutely love like the rest.

oracrest said:
It was intended to look like respect and clapping.

I liked
The little research lab that had all of them in glass containers in the background

Oh, wow. I'm sorry! Temper, temper. :( It's just that the guy is at a podium plus he has this smug look on his face so I was like "Hey, what the...!" :lol Sorry.

Top Bottom