• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Brandon F said:
Currently at 85% items and 95% scans in MP1. I am missing the final chozo lore scan listed in Samus' log(which I hope is found after collecting all 12 artifacts...), and aside from the final boss scans, I am missing an enemy scan listed directly under Fission Metroid(assume it's another Metroid variant that is yet to show up since the boss scans start underneath). I'd appreciate any info if I am correct on these assumptions.

You have to Power Bomb a wall for this one (location spoilered)

Chozo Ruins - Think it's called "Magma Chamber", it's filled with magma and has 2 grapple points and an Ice door at the end.

y2dvd

Just finished MP2. Like MP1, I thought I would've finished the game at around 90% but I only had 75%! :lol

I officially hate MP2's Logbook interface. It especially became a pain when
I was trying to keep track of the Sky Temple Keys. I just ended up grabbing a sheet of paper and writing everything down -_-
Looks neat and all but that's about it.

MP2 was still great and all but I'm with the general consensus - MP1 > MP3 > MP2.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Osuwari said:
that enemy is in the second room of the impact crater.

all items have a humming noise that tells you where they are. some places like chozo ruins have rooms with multiple missile expansions.

Thanks! Humming noise though??? Is it only when I am right close to the secret item, or will the humming noise indicate that somewhere in this 'room' I entered there is something to find?? I've never heard of this!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Brandon F said:
Thanks! Humming noise though??? Is it only when I am right close to the secret item, or will the humming noise indicate that somewhere in this 'room' I entered there is something to find?? I've never heard of this!
It's when you are close to an item but it's got a decent radius to it, you'll still have to explore and navigate around larger rooms to pick it up but it's almost always there in small rooms and corridors. The next time you find an item, before you pick it up try to make out the humming noise it makes when you stand near it so you know what to look for.

I've beaten MP1 again, and I've just beaten the grapple guardian on MP2 (this is my first real MP2 play through - its awesome ;_;) --- Although Metroid Prime's music is awesome I actually turned down the music volume so I could better hear the item 'hum' when it came time to find the last few.

krzy123

I am currently playing through MP1, but the music on mine is really low compared the main wii menu/other games (game settings are maxed). I generally have to crank the volume to ~40 on my receiver compared to ~28 on the wii menu and other games.

Anyone else have this issue?

I have MP1 on GC, but I quit after flaaghra in every playthrough :/, much further in the this though :)

Brandon F

Yay, just got 100% items in MP1! (Had to resort to a faq once I hit 93%, some of those last few would have been a total bitch to find without guidance)

Now just to beat the endbosses and get their scans so I can do it all over again in MP2!

Giolon

Ok, in MP3, how the hell are you supposed to scan the Bryyonian Shriekbats that are directly in front of another huge scannable object (causing them to be basically untargetable) and they fly at you as soon as you're in scanning range? Do they reappear later somewhere else more sensible?

soldat7

krzy123 said:
I am currently playing through MP1, but the music on mine is really low compared the main wii menu/other games (game settings are maxed). I generally have to crank the volume to ~40 on my receiver compared to ~28 on the wii menu and other games.

Anyone else have this issue?

I've noticed the same thing. And heaven forbid if I forget to adjust the volume back down before exiting back to the Wii menu lol.

Psy-Phi

Giolon said:
Ok, in MP3, how the hell are you supposed to scan the Bryyonian Shriekbats that are directly in front of another huge scannable object (causing them to be basically untargetable) and they fly at you as soon as you're in scanning range? Do they reappear later somewhere else more sensible?
To misquote a boxer, "Scan and move, Scan and move". You should be able to side step them and lock on to scan.

of course I haven't played Prime 3 yet beyond the first 2 seconds so I'm talking out the side of my head. But in Prime 1 and 2 (played on GC, just bought this collection this weekend and playing through Prime 1 now) you could easily target/scan things and just side step/leap out of the way during their attack.

soldat7 said:
I've noticed the same thing. And heaven forbid if I forget to adjust the volume back down before exiting back to the Wii menu lol.

The problem is that the Wii Menu is exceptionally loud. I dont know why, but I always have to turn down my tv when I turn it on. And back up for the PS3/Cable/Wii-games and movie watching on Blu or DVD.

I've had MP for close to 6 years now and I want to finally finish it. Trouble is I'm stuck. I would have arrived at this point many years ago and thought 'I'll come back to this later'. Well later is finally here. Trouble is I don't know what to do.

I'm in an area (some sort of mining area) which has a crane that lacks power. It says that there is a power supply close by but I can't find it. I think this is where you first get the grapple beam if that helps.

Please help me GAF.

[Nintex]

Bearillusion said:
I've had MP for close to 6 years now and I want to finally finish it. Trouble is I'm stuck. I would have arrived at this point many years ago and thought 'I'll come back to this later'. Well later is finally here. Trouble is I don't know what to do.

I'm in an area (some sort of mining area) which has a crane that lacks power. It says that there is a power supply close by but I can't find it. I think this is where you first get the grapple beam if that helps.

Please help me GAF.
Use the heat visor and you can see a power conduit. Shoot it with the Wave Beam to activate the crane. Use the spider track and find a Missile expansion. Go downstairs, till you see something that looks like a force field. There should be 2 consoles nearby that you can disable by scanning them

upandaway

Bearillusion said:

Please help me GAF.
You're not that close to the Grapple Beam yet.

What you need to do is go up to the place where the crane starts at, kill everyone, find the power switch with the visor and shoot it, then scan the computers to move the crate (do this twice I think). Then you can jump on top of the crate and from there onwards.

Do I remember this right? It's been a good time since I did that area. I might be confusing it with a similar room.

Edit: Well, nevermind that.

farnham

Banned
i finally beat MP2 on the GC (played on Wii) last week and now im plowing through MP3... im gonna beat those games before i get the triology and then play all three games again :lol :lol

Thanks for the replies.

I restored power to the crane but moving it only allowed me to pick up a missile expansion. Rotating it again just returns it to it's original position.

What do I do now?

[Nintex] said:
Use the heat visor and you can see a power conduit. Shoot it with the Wave Beam to activate the crane. Use the spider track and find a Missile expansion. Go downstairs, till you see something that looks like a force field. There should be 2 consoles nearby that you can disable by scanning them

Looks like I've already been that way as the force field is already deactivated. I headed on past there earlier today and eventually came to a room where you need to rotate parts in the centre to line up the tracks to allow you to get to the top of the room. I eventually came to what I thought was a dead end after that.

It's so hard to know what I should be doing as I've clearly been to these places before.

Brandon F

God damn I forgot how much of a visual improvement MP2 is over MP1. Still stunning for a 5-year old game.

KevinCow

Banned
Bearillusion said:
What do I do now?

Explore!

But... a six year gap is really going to screw with you. It's though enough when you've walked through each room enough to know it like the back of your gun by the end of the game. You're essentially starting near the end with very little memory of the rest of the world.

If you are where I think you are, you need the Plasma Beam and the X-Ray Visor, then you can make your way past that dead end in Phazon Mines. I guess the best recommendation I can make, outside of turning on the hint system, is to just look at your map and check every door that you haven't gone through yet. You should be able to open most of them.

Brandon F said:
God damn I forgot how much of a visual improvement MP2 is over MP1. Still stunning for a 5-year old game.

It really is. MP1 looks pretty good, but there are some big issues, most notably texture detail and some low poly environments. MP2 doesn't have these issues, and on top of that I think it has a much more pleasing style with the slightly more saturated colors and less gritty overall look.

Brandon F said:

The smoke and portal effects are really nice, there's arguably more complexity in some areas than in MP3. I've just reached the Sanctuary Fortress and those four legged enemies that you blow the head off, boost ball, and bomb the underside of die BEAUITFULLY.

zooL

radioheadrule83 said:
The smoke and portal effects are really nice, there's arguably more complexity in some areas than in MP3. I've just reached the Sanctuary Fortress and those four legged enemies that you blow the head off, boost ball, and bomb the underside of die BEAUITFULLY.

hmm i dont think you need to bomb their underside, boost against the red thing is enough. at least i never used a bomb against them. what is really cool in my opinion is
if one of those flying drones in sanctuary fortress (which take forever to kill and have a shield) shoot you with some kind of virus which causes your suit to malfunction and you have to manually reboot it. reminds me of terminator 3... cool idea, great implementation and pretty disturbing when you first encounter it.
by the way is there some fast and ammo-conserving way to defeat these flying balls of hell? they can be pretty nerve-wracking at times if you are low on health.

Osuwari

zooL said:
hmm i dont think you need to bomb their underside, boost against the red thing is enough. at least i never used a bomb against them. what is really cool in my opinion is if one of those flying drones in sanctuary fortress (which take forever to kill and have a shield) shoot you with some kind of virus which causes your suit to malfunction and you have to manually reboot it. reminds me of terminator 3... cool idea, great implementation and pretty disturbing when you first encounter it. by the way is there some fast and ammo-conserving way to defeat these flying balls of hell? they can be pretty nerve-wracking at times if you are low on health.

charged dark beam + missile

you use 5 dark ammo and 1 missile.

DAVIDDAYTON WHERE ARE YOU????? I added you on my Wii but there hasnt been any response in 2 days. Im getting antsy. I want my green tokens!!!

Can anyone else help me out? I have plenty of green tokens to give while saving some for DD.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Gamer @ Heart said:
DAVIDDAYTON WHERE ARE YOU????? I added you on my Wii but there hasnt been any response in 2 days. Im getting antsy. I want my green tokens!!!

Can anyone else help me out? I have plenty of green tokens to give while saving some for DD.

I added you as well but see nothing.

Check my Wii number: 2878 6587 9343 0860

What is yours, again?

luoapp

Bearillusion said:
Looks like I've already been that way as the force field is already deactivated. I headed on past there earlier today and eventually came to a room where you need to rotate parts in the centre to line up the tracks to allow you to get to the top of the room. I eventually came to what I thought was a dead end after that.

It's so hard to know what I should be doing as I've clearly been to these places before.

WARNING: major spoiler
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/game/447244.html
:lol

The Hermit

Osuwari said:
charged dark beam + missile

you use 30 dark ammo and 10 missile.

fixed

The best way actually (and I found out here in the Wii version actually :D ) is using a charged dark beam. It will freeze it in place for a while, and then you can use whatever you want.
Another 5 dark beam shots are enough.

The best way to kill it though is using the
screw attack
!

Bearillusion said:
Thanks for the replies.

I restored power to the crane but moving it only allowed me to pick up a missile expansion. Rotating it again just returns it to it's original position.

What do I do now?

If I am not mistaken there is a door that in this room where you can move on with the game. What is you status (guns/ visors)?

BTW, remember 2 things: always use your map. MP1 is much more straightforward than MP2, especially because there isn't a dark world.
Also, keep you scan visor as much as you can. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you.

Cygnus X-1

Just my one bit: I'm playing Metroid Prime, roughly 70% completed.

1) I will never play it with a classic controller again.

2) The art design of the game is so amazing that the 98% of all other Wii's games is crap in comparison. My congratulations to Retro. Even after all these years, some minor modifications are enough to make it shine once again. For istance: Phendrana, the caverns after collecting the gravity suit; Chozo's ruins, the room of the elders; Tallon IV's overworld, praticaly everywhere outside the very first part.

The Hermit

^

I would add the Crashed Frigate too! Too bad the equivalent in MP2 (Torvus Bog) was so bad in comparison. The music was the only thing saving it....

This past weekend I fought Thardus for the second time in my life. It's amazing how much better that battle is (yes, I know technically he's easy, but it's an annoying fight that goes on forever) when you couple the old school lock on with the free aim. Especially when pin pointing his weak spots and shooting the phazon rocks he throws at you. Then Sunday got the Ice Beam and Gravity Suit (maybe it's just me, but it's easy to get lost in the lakes and caves in the Phendrana Pike area ).

Savoring the game, hopefully will be able to move on to Echoes in a week or two.

y2dvd

Having played MP3 right after 1 & 2, I think I prefer 3 overall now. Progression feels natural, I haven't been lost, having not to switch beams all the time just to open doors is great, all the motion stuff like yankin shields and lockin keys in place is pretty immersive, and the ability to mark your map is a godsend.

The only downside are the loadtimes and Phazon mode makes the game a tad easy.

CoolS

Finally the first time I finished Metroid Prime. Man what a ride it was. Finished it with 100% items and 97 or 98% scans. Something was very wierd though, the last missile expansion counted fro 2 %. I knew where it was, but I thought I'm missing another one, so on my way there I looked everywhere and couldn't find a thing :/

But man, Meta-Ridley and
Metroid Prime
where awesome bosses. I never beat Ridley in the GC version, so MP was new for me. Needles to say I died once before figuring out the best way to kill it :lol

I think I'm going to take a break now for a day or so and then start Prime 2. I am excited because I never played that one before.

Sagitario

CoolS said:
Finally the first time I finished Metroid Prime. Man what a ride it was. Finished it with 100% items and 97 or 98% scans. Something was very wierd though, the last missile expansion counted fro 2 %. I knew where it was, but I thought I'm missing another one, so on my way there I looked everywhere and couldn't find a thing :/

The last item (be it a missile expansion, energy tank or whatever) always counts for 2%...

I finished MP1 last week and yesterday I finally finished de Blob, so this weekend is Echoes turn :D ...

It really annoys me that there is only 1 save slot for each game per profile... argh! >_<

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Bearillusion said:

Do you have the power bomb? If not, you need to go deeper into the mines. If you do, head to that room with the tracks and get the grappling beam at the top.

The Hermit

The first time I played MP2 I didn´t even tried to get 100% and now I am almost regretting doing that... traveling through dark/light world is plain stupid in a game focused in backtracking.

I am finally getting the hate in MP2... still, I think its better then Mp3.
Lets how what I really think when I replay Corruption after finishing this one.

Osuwari

Baiano19 said:

wat

charged dark beam + missile doesn't mean the missile combo. it means shoot a charged dark beam shot and then missile the thing when it gets frozen.
if i meant the charge combo, i would have said "darburst" but that shit sucks because it eats your ammo like mad.

Hmmm, not sure it's the right place to ask, but here it goes.

Basically, I've imported the US Metroid Prime Triology... and my Wii with homebrew channel won't boot it properly... it boots but when i try to get into Metroid Prime 1 it restarts the console. I hate backups, I dont have DVD-R's and I refuse to use them, so I just want to run the darned NTSC game I purchased on my PAL console... is there any plausible solution?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Starting the Air Temple key quest.

Sigh.

I am further than I ever was on the original version of MP2, though.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Finished Corruption again last week.

I have to say, the game incorporates motion controls really really well. Obviously the first person controls is great, but I'm referring more to the clever and well-excecuted grapple, the visor puzzle, and the welding mechanics. It was quite satisfying to rip shields off and to overload machines. I also enjoyed a bit of variety in the game, and the pacing is markedly improved from Echoes. And as usual, Retro are masters in their detailed environment design. Most of Phaaze springs immediately to mind. Just absolutely incredible stuff. I also liked that I had most of the power cells already before going to the Vahalla. There was one annoying one on Bryyo and that was it.

On the negative side, the world design did swing a bit towards being too linear, which is a bit of a shame. I really enjoyed Bryyo, but Skytown was a chore. Ship travelling was a bit tedious but understandable. Loading was definitely really noticable throughout the game when compared with Prime and Echoes though.

The combat system was decent (thanks beam stacking!), but relied way too much on repeatedly switching to hypermode. Missiles were almost useless against pirates and even Metroids, and the ship visor was waaaaaaay underutilized (a boss or two involving air strikes would have been sweet). And the final suit was soooo ugly with the colour scheme and the shoulder pads. Barf.

Pretty minor complaints overall, and a really solid game. I stick to my 8.5/10 assessment.

ZealousD

BorkBork said:
Missiles were almost useless against pirates and even Metroids

If you wait for them to charge at you (belly exposed) you freeze them in one missle.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
ZealousD said:
If you wait for them to charge at you (belly exposed) you freeze them in one missle.

Easier and faster just to go hypermode and blow them up. That's why I said almost useless.

Whoa! I found a new way to get a friend voucher!

Boost ball into the robots.

Aside from that and Freezing a tribal on bryyo, thats all the ways i know how. WHat are the other ways?

ZealousD

Gamer @ Heart said:
Whoa! I found a new way to get a friend voucher!

Boost ball into the robots.

Aside from that and Freezing a tribal on bryyo, thats all the ways i know how. WHat are the other ways?

The section on the breaking bridge on Elysia. If you skip the robots and just get off the platform ASAP, the robots will fall with the bridge. It's the single most badass moment in the series. You get a voucher for it.

I beat Dark Samus 2 in Echoes last night and got the Echoes visor for the first time. She murdered me until I realised I could stop her boost ball attacks.

Damn, this game is awesome!

I don't even know how I would rate Corruption due to conflicting feelings about it. On the one hand I think it's a great FPS, and on the other hand I think it's a shitty (yes, shitty) Metroid game (although in fairness from a visual standpoint some of the environments are far and away be the most "Metroidy" of the trilogy). It's hard to say exactly how good the experience is without giving some context first. I wish Nintendo had just let Retro off the leash to do an original IP after Echoes, because when I play Corruption that's what it feels like they wanted to do.

If the gameplay wasn't set against the Metroid universe I think I'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more, but the never ending stream of generic FPS/Sci Fi conventions that snuck their way in drive me up the fucking wall, despite how undeniably polished everything is. I can handle changes that genuinely build upon the inherent strengths of the franchise, but those in Corruption represent more of a left turn. The bulk of them seem like Retro dittoed ideas from other popular first person shooters. Sure they're tightly executed- nobody doubts Retro's technical prowess, but the direction itself was all wrong.

Anyway, I know the subject has a tendency to open a certain can of worms (namely the one labeled purist/elitist/nostalgia :p) in Metroid Prime threads. It's just that BorkBork's post lightly touched on some of the sentiments I'm having as I replay the game and I had to get it off my chest.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I don't even know how I would rate Corruption due to conflicting feelings about it. On the one hand I think it's a great FPS, and on the other hand I think it's a shitty (yes, shitty) Metroid game (although in fairness from a visual standpoint some of the environments are far and away be the most "Metroidy" of the trilogy). It's hard to say exactly how good the experience is without giving some context first. I wish Nintendo had just let Retro off the leash to do an original IP after Echoes, because when I play Corruption that's what it feels like they wanted to do.

If the gameplay wasn't set against the Metroid universe I think I'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more, but the never ending stream of generic FPS/Sci Fi conventions that snuck their way in drive me up the fucking wall, despite how undeniably polished everything is. I can handle changes that genuinely build upon the inherent strengths of the franchise, but those in Corruption represent more of a left turn. The bulk of them seem like Retro dittoed ideas from other popular first person shooters. Sure they're tightly executed- nobody doubts Retro's technical prowess, but the direction itself was all wrong.

Anyway, I know the subject has a tendency to open a certain can of worms (namely the one labeled purist/elitist/nostalgia :p) in Metroid Prime threads. It's just that BorkBork's post lightly touched on some of the sentiments I'm having as I replay the game and I had to get it off my chest.

I love all of the Prime games for different reasons. Prime is the archetype, Retro had to nail it pretty strongly to bring Samus into full 3d and do Metroid justice... and they did.

Corruption, in gameplay terms, is the anti-Echoes. Playing through corruption feels like chowing down a light but supremely tasty and enjoyable salad, there's a lot of goodness there and its easy to digest. Echoes is more like a large pizza with all the toppings, oven-baked on a double pizza-base, injected with loads of artery choking cheese in the middle. Its tasty as fuck but sometimes it feels like a chore. Even still, I use that analogy in a positive sense -- Pizza is the food of the Gods.

For me Corruption merges some of the best elements of Prime 1 and 2, but ultimately they made it more accessible and a little bit easier for weaksauce people like me. One thing I like about the admittedly more linear planetary map system is that it does make the scope of the adventure seem quite epic, and it makes perfectly fine geographical sense. Some of the elevator links in Echoes just feel stupid... I can't picture the layout of Aether at all.

Storywise I didn't mind the GF Marines - since the original NES game, its been canon that she sometimes gets hired by the federation. There appears to be a dead marine in Super Metroid. And in the Prime universe, we'd seen plenty of them die in Echoes... I think it made sense to allow gamers to actually meet living troopers and to see Samus interacting with the people paying her bounty. If you think about the escalation of events too, their involvement makes sense. Those troops on Aether only died because they pursued Pirates down onto the surface whereupon the Ing appeared, and that only happened because Aether was dimensionally disrupted by the impact of a phason Leviathan. So the federation would of course take an interest in the movements of the Space Pirates and their interest in Phazon, and they would take an active interest in Dark Samus' Leviathans too. I totally dug the Aurora Units and other such thematic references to earlier games, I got a kick out of Samus' ship getting attacked (I've ALWAYS wondered why no-one has ever attacked it when she leaves it lying around), and you could tell from the start that the other Bounty Hunters were just going to end up being enemies by the end of the game. The waggle operated mechanisms, nunchuck grappling, blowtorch type instrument and hypermode really changed up the feel of the game... and I love my bobblehead. It really is awesome! :p I think it was a fitting resolution to the Prime series.

In terms of deviations from the 2d Metroid formulae, I think Metroid: Other M looks way more radical a departure than the Prime games. I don't personally think thats a bad thing, but still... if you didn't like Prime, I can't help but wonder if you'll like that game more/less.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Holy Fuck Wow. The Spider Ball guardian in Prime 2. About to break my disc in annoyance. Talk about tedious. Damn. I especially like how you can't make certain jumps unless you zoom in. What the hell.

CoolS

Just reaced the dark world for the first time in Echoes and got the space jump boots back. Not sure if I like it. The dark atmosphere drains your life fast as fuck, and refilling it takes a long time. Plus the atmosphere is creeping me out.
And the game is huge. Or at least it seems huge. But I#ll definitely keep playing.

bob_arctor said:
Holy Fuck Wow. The Spider Ball guardian in Prime 2. About to break my disc in annoyance. Talk about tedious. Damn. I especially like how you can't make certain jumps unless you zoom in. What the hell.

I found that one really easy... more like a puzzle than a boss battle, which made it kinda cool actually. The power bomb guardian was tricky on the spider rails, but once I got the timing down that was easy too... the ones that managed to kill me once or more have been: Amorbis, Boost Guardian, Alpha Blogg and Quadraxis. I think I had more trouble in dark world boss fights early on purely because you have so little health -- if you're not paying attention to the light orb areas, you can screw your health up pretty quickly.

The boss I was fearing most, Quadraxis, was actually a lot easier than I thought. He killed me once, but that was more due to me running out of time while I figured him out... I barely lost any health at all on the second attempt -- I guess the bigger they are the harder they fall! Providing you scan a boss in each of its stages you're usually alright at figuring out how to take it on... the Quadraxis boss battle was really nice in that regard. I find myself wishing I could go back and play some of these boss fights in isolation -- like just picking something from the menu and fighting it again. It was pretty cool!

The grapple guardian was a great homage to Super Metroid! It took me a while to cotton on and figure out what to do... he nearly had me killed a couple of times, I had both controllers clenched trying to keep one of the pylons between me and him while I waited for my energy to recover. Tense stuff!

Just hunting down the 9 keys now... very satisfying game! I've got Arkham Asylum on PS3 sitting there, and I've not played it yet because I've been too immersed in playing a Wii-vamped version of a FIVE YEAR OLD GAME. I'm so glad I've been able to go back and play this. Retro are so amazing

CoolS said:
Just reaced the dark world for the first time in Echoes and got the space jump boots back. Not sure if I like it. The dark atmosphere drains your life fast as fuck, and refilling it takes a long time. Plus the atmosphere is creeping me out.
And the game is huge. Or at least it seems huge. But I#ll definitely keep playing.

Yeah stay with it man... when you start to really get the world opened up and have routes from A->B memorised you'll no doubt dig it... its so satisfying when the Dark World eventually no longer seems threatening

I did find myself standing around in lit up areas waiting for my health to regen earlier on in the game, but with a few more energy tanks under your belt the game really starts to flow

Top Bottom