• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

OMG Aero

I finally completed Metroid Prime 1 today in 11:18 at 100%. Did anyone else find Metroid Prime really easy? I found Meta Ridley quite hard (Especially in the ground phase) but on Metroid Prime I could just fire when I had the chance and not care about his attacks hitting me because they did so little damage.

Also it is really annoying how they give you enough orange credits to buy everything that requires them but don't give you enough silver credits to get all the Metroid Prime 1 music and the fusion suit. Are there more silver credits in MP2 then there are unlockables for that game or do you have to play one of the games again to buy the remaining MP1 music tracks?

Can anyone pleeeeease help me with the friend vouchers? I have 6 o give an desperately want some so shoot me a PM with your Wii system code if your down for a switch.

Synless

There is something that is really pissing me off in Metroid Prime 1. If I have the Motion+ on my wiimote Samus occasionally goes crazy and starts walking in some random direction and you can't stop her unless you unplug the nunchuck and plug it back in. It seem so to me that this only happens with the Motion+ and not with the normal controller setup....although I'm still testing this out.

My brother, who is a lifelong Metroid fan like me (as I mentioned much earlier in the thread, a few years ago he got 100% on Echoes which is his favorite between 1 and 2), won a Wii at work last week so I gave him my copy of Corruption as a gift and was disappointed to learn we can't trade friend vouchers. :( Oh well, plenty of people online to trade with, still bummed though.

Synless said:
There is something that is really pissing me off in Metroid Prime 1. If I have the Motion+ on my wiimote Samus occasionally goes crazy and starts walking in some random direction and you can't stop her unless you unplug the nunchuck and plug it back in. It seem so to me that this only happens with the Motion+ and not with the normal controller setup....although I'm still testing this out.
haven't experienced that yet and i'm near the end of the game

Synless

Talladega Knight said:
haven't experienced that yet and i'm near the end of the game
I have had it happen like 10 times, and a few times it happened right after I had just plugged it back in. Maybe my Motion+ is broken. Does Nintendo replace these things?

Synless said:
I have had it happen like 10 times, and a few times it happened right after I had just plugged it back in. Maybe my Motion+ is broken. Does Nintendo replace these things?
Why don't you just unplugg the M+ and play without it?

soldat7

OMG Aero said:
Also it is really annoying how they give you enough orange credits to buy everything that requires them but don't give you enough silver credits to get all the Metroid Prime 1 music and the fusion suit. Are there more silver credits in MP2 then there are unlockables for that game or do you have to play one of the games again to buy the remaining MP1 music tracks?

The whole system pisses me off, quite frankly. I love Achievements/Trophies in games, but the credit system in the Trilogy is terrible. I think I'm going to stop caring about it and just play the games, which is unfortunate.

lordy88

Synless said:

This actually happened to me 2-3 times, and I don't own M+ yet...I think it as more due to a faulty/old nunchuck or wiimote rather than the game itself.

Also, I finished Prime 1 earlier today, and I gotta say, my finger was killing me after the battle with Meta ridley. It wasn't hard, it was just that I could never place a missle in there, so I had to resort to a million blasts with the plasma beam, which for some reason took ages during the ground stage. Same thing happened with the first stage of Metroid Prime when he turned to the power beam color...Every other color he'd be gone in about 15 seconds, power beam? a couple minutes or so (at least it felt like it). Sonofabitch.

Finished prime 1 on Veteran - 100% items - 90% lore. Need to play through again to finish the lore. Currently at 75% items on Prime 2 (veteran) and just hit 75% items. Beat Quadraxis and have 8 keys left to go and the final suit plus 3 energy tanks and a bunch of missile expansions. I know I already missed 1 missable scan, so I'll probably have to give this a 2nd run as well. I'll probably give Prime 3 a double run as well - with a scan guide for the 2nd run to make sure I get 100%.

Do the silver tokens repeat on subsequent runs through the game, or is it 1 per 'achievement'?

scitek

Does anyone know of a way to tell which version of Prime you have for the GameCube based on product numbers on the disc or something? I'd like to know if the one I picked up today has sequence-breaking.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Synless said:

it is a loose nunchuck connection that might or might not be made worse by the connection to the motion plus. what happens is the nunchuck disconnects for a bit and then reconnects centering where u have ur thumbstick at.

OMG Aero

lordy88 said:
Same thing happened with the first stage of Metroid Prime when he turned to the power beam color...Every other color he'd be gone in about 15 seconds, power beam? a couple minutes or so (at least it felt like it). Sonofabitch.
You were using the super missiles right?

lordy88

OMG Aero said:
You were using the super missiles right?

I tried a few, but I kept missing with em, maybe hitting one out of 5 or so. Whatever, I eventually got him, and gave my finger a good work out :p

beef3483

I don't know if anybody has made not of this yet, but with lock-on free aim, you can now shoot around corners in Prime. Both missiles and a charged up wave beam hone in on whatever you have a lock on. But now you can point somewhat away from what your are aiming and watch it curve towards your lock. For instance, if you have a lock on an enemy, and yet an obstruction is in front of you, if you point around the edge of the obstruction the missile or charged up wave beam will actually curve around it and to the enemy. It's a cool little easter egg. I don't recall that you could do this in the original Prime.

I haven't played Echoes yet, and I can't remember if Echoes missiles hone in on the enemy, but if they do then I see no reason why it wouldn't work for that as well.

Will someone please please help me when the green tokens? I have 7 or 8 vouchers to send if someone is willing to do the same. Just shoot me a PM with your Wii code. Anyone?

I WANT THAT BOBBLE HEAD!

Osuwari

radioheadrule83 said:
First things first -- I owned this and played this on the Gamecube, but I never really finished it. I got frustrated as hell with it... well now I've gone back to the dark world toxic-air nightmare.

I’ve never sworn so much at a TV set in my life. Well not since trying to do the jackknife time trial on Mirrors Edge and failing over and over and over again.

First pain in the arse was the boost guardian, but in the end I sussed that out. I went on an Energy Canister hunt, and managed to kill him quite easily with super rockets and charged light beam shots – the fight still went down to the wire though… last night I got to the lower part of Torvus Bog that has the mellow remix of the tune from Maridia in Super Metroid (I didn’t know this game had that tune! Awesome!) – for some reason I didn’t save and went down to one of the lowest levels, got the water jetpack upgrade thing, and the Alpha Blogg killed me. This is one boss I think might actually be harder with the Wii remote for aiming because the only weak point is in its mouth – you’re sort of locking on, but you can move the reticule outside of the lock on area. Thanks to not saving (stupid, stupid, stupid!!) I was set back quite far. It was one of those calmly turn the console off and watch something on TV while burning inside with rage moments.

What a fucking good game though! I realise now that I under-appreciated it when it came out. I haven’t fought Quadraxis or the SpiderBall Guardian yet, and if I remember right, they’re both gonna hand my ass to me.

Metroid Prime is the best of the three I think, and Metroid Prime 3 is perfectly balanced for someone who maybe isn't so hardcore (I enjoyed every minute of it), but Echoes is where you go if you really want to wrestle with a game to get it done. So good!

well, i suggest to turn free-aim off. it is completely useless for 90% of the trilogy since mp1 and mp2 weren't made for that and only mp3 bosses have weak points that need to be aimed at (and you still free-aim against them even if the option is off)

here's the mp1 token list for anyone who is lost:

10 orange tokens:

parasite queen
hive mecha
incinerator drone
flaahgra
sheegoth
thardus
phazon elite
omega pirate
meta ridley
metroid prime

16 gray tokens:

12 artifacts
beat the frigate
get 100% scans
get 100% items
get 50% scan (not sure about this one)

here's the list for mp2:

15 purple tokens - beat all the bosses:

dark alpha splinter
bomb guardian
jump guardian
dark samus 1
amorbis
boost guardian
alpha blogg
grapple guardian
chykka
spider guardian
power bomb guardian
dark samus 2
quadraxis
emperor ing
dark samus 3/4

18 gray tokens - temple keys:
3 for dark agon temple
3 for dark torvus temple
3 for ing hive temple
9 for sky temple

btw, i finished mp3 in hypermode with 100% items today. final time was 6:11.

One of the things that annoys me about Metroid Prime is that you constantly have to change beams to open the doors. In Super Metroid you didn't constantly have to shoot doors with Missles, Super Missles or use Power Bombs, once you used the special required weapon the door just became a regular door. In Prime you always have Wave, Ice and Plasma Beam doors.

It's just annoying when you have to navigate certain areas of the game using the x-ray visor or thermal visor, you shoot a door and get the "this weapon cannot open this door" text pop up. It just breaks the flow of the game. I understand having the door initially only unlocked by a specific beam, but after the fact any beam should work.

Also I just discovered that you could use the Ice Spreader on the Elites and then one hit them with a missle this morning.

jaundicejuice said:
One of the things that annoys me about Metroid Prime is that you constantly have to change beams to open the doors. In Super Metroid you didn't constantly have to shoot doors with Missles, Super Missles or use Power Bombs, once you used the special required weapon the door just became a regular door. In Prime you always have Wave, Ice and Plasma Beam doors.

It's just annoying when you have to navigate certain areas of the game using the x-ray visor or thermal visor, you shoot a door and get the "this weapon cannot open this door" text pop up. It just breaks the flow of the game. I understand having the door initially only unlocked by a specific beam, but after the fact any beam should work.

I rant about this all the time. It's especially dumb given that there are, in fact, one-time weapon-specific door locks in the games, so it's not as if they didn't think of it.

I also find it really annoying in Prime 2 that the Annihilator beam doesn't open Light Beam or Dark Beam doors, despite the fact that it will activate both Light and Dark Portals.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
jaundicejuice said:

Also I just discovered that you could use the Ice Spreader on the Elites and then one hit them with a missle this morning.

Bothers me too. I hate taking on a group of Ice pirates with the Ice Beam and then hit a purple door, only to have to switch back immediately to ice for the next wave of ice pirates. Total WTF? Agreed that all dorrs should open with any beam after the initial unlock.

It's also the stop/start pace of the game in cleared areas. Constantly having the Chozo ghosts, beam pirates, Elite pirates, Sheegoths, the security drones and other damage sponge enemies appearing in areas you've already "beaten" is kind of annoying as well. If I can just run by it, that's what I'll do rather than take the few moments to charge up a super missle to fire at a Chozo ghost to one hit it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the hell out of this game. I mean I already own all three Prime games individually, I've played through the first two Primes repeatedly, I've got a collection of brand new unplayed games to work through yet I'm sitting here playing through Metroid Prime again through the trilogy.

jaundicejuice said:
It's also the stop/start pace of the game in cleared areas. Constantly having the Chozo ghosts, beam pirates, Elite pirates, Sheegoths, the security drones and other damage sponge enemies appearing in areas you've already "beaten" is kind of annoying as well. If I can just run by it, that's what I'll do rather than take the few moments to charge up a super missle to fire at a Chozo ghost to one hit it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the hell out of this game. I mean I already own all three Prime games individually, I've played through the first two Primes repeatedly, I've got a collection of brand new unplayed games to work through yet I'm sitting here playing through Metroid Prime again through the trilogy.

I don't mind the re-spawning, but it shouldn't be so quick. In that back part of the Chozo Ruins, you can spend a bit of time going back and forth, and those damn Chozo ghosts keep re-spawning.

These games rank right up among my all-time favorites, but that doesn't mean they're perfect.

Metroid Prime - Normal, 100%, 11:43.

First time I've ever gotten 100% in all my play throughs of Metroid Prime it was always this one missile expansion pack (Training Hall, Chozo Ruins, morph ball tunnel obscured by leaves) that eluded me until I finally found it this morning. I played through the entire game with free aim, lock-on but switched back to the regular lock-on for the battle against Metroid Prime. It was just too hard to consistently hit its face with the free aim.

I don't think I'll dive right into Echoes just yet, I want to knock off another game from my backlog before I play it again.

scitek

I finished Prime 2 the other day. What a fucking fantastic game that one is all around. I just feel it's a better designed game than the first. Not saying the first isn't right there with it, just that the second showed they were comfortable with the formula they had created, and I give them credit for trying a lot of new things instead of just more of the same. The boss battles in that game are some of the best in gaming, IMO, and they really top off what I think is just a beautiful experience.

I'm already about a third of the way through the third game, but I already played it once this year, so the experience isn't as fresh as the first two were. Still a great game.

I'll be doing a big featurette on my Youtube channel of breaking down all three games in the series and then just talking about the trilogy as a whole, and what kind of an accomplishment I think it is. It'll be a 20 minute epic video for me, but these games are definitely worth the time and effort.

upandaway

jaundicejuice said:
Between that and the doors, I don't think the developers are actually at fault here. Maybe it was just a thing that will make the save file grow too large or something. There are too many faults to the games that could be solved with a better behind-the-scenes saving system.

I especially hate the doors just because how subtle the color is. Lord knows how many times I mistook the light to be a different beam out of Charge, Wave and Ice. Pretty much once out of two times I will have to switch beams, shoot, get the shot embarrassingly bounced off and then switch beams a second time.
The Prime games just aren't too color-blind friendly.

It's so awesome that they changed the "already scanned"-stuff tiny yellow squares in MP1+2 to colored outlines in MP3. makes it so much easier.

anyway....MP trilogy might be the game compilation of the century for me. It's just as perfect. awesomeness through and through

I think my favorite thing about the Trilogy so far has to be the inclusion of the spring ball in Prime and Echoes (I always thought it was stupid that didn't include it to begin with), and the fact that scans carry over between play throughs. It's nice to have a file where you can just plow through without having to stop and fiddle around for the sake of completion, not to mention insta-activating elevators and other control systems helps keep the pacing brisk. I have to agree with the complaints about the color coded doors though. That was always a pain in the ass, and it should've been a prime candidate (no pun intended) for fixing in the trilogy. Oh well.

iamaustrian said:
It's so awesome that they changed the "already scanned"-stuff tiny yellow squares in MP1+2 to colored outlines in MP3. makes it so much easier.

anyway....MP trilogy might be the game compilation of the century for me. It's just as perfect. awesomeness through and through
Only Prime had the scan icons. Echoes has the same highlight scanning as Corruption.

scitek said:
No problem. Did you figure out which version you've got?

Osuwari

well, i did the most epic thing you can do with the trilogy and beat all 3 games back-to-back-to-back (normal mode since i was going for speed)

20-09-09_0005.jpg

20-09-09_0021.jpg

20-09-09_0044.jpg

i'm going to lay the trilogy to rest for now since i've played like 90 hours total according to the Nintendo Channel. i unlocked everything already so there's nothing else left to do outside playing for fun.

soldat7

I need help and will [ spoiler ] it just in case:

I just beat Omega Pirate and now I'm totally clueless as to where to go next. Have I explored all the areas now? Do I go after the artifacts? Any tips on where to go next or the best approach to acquiring all the artifacts? I think I have 4/12 at the moment.

Thanks!

CraigMcD

soldat7 said:
I need help and will [ spoiler ] it just in case:

I just beat Omega Pirate and now I'm totally clueless as to where to go next. Have I explored all the areas now? Do I go after the artifacts? Any tips on where to go next or the best approach to acquiring all the artifacts? I think I have 4/12 at the moment.

Thanks!
You need to collect the rest. You can scan for clues at the Impact Crater.

Anony

how the fuck can you finish the game in a few hours

starting mp1, is there any point to scanning everything, it's really slow

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
WORLDWIDEWII said:
just pick this up yesterday,

question, where do i save? i played for 5 minutes and i had to leave for work..

Either at your ship (jump on top of it) or at various save stations littered throughout the game, which will show up on your map when you discover them.

Osuwari

Anony said:
how the fuck can you finish the game in a few hours

starting mp1, is there any point to scanning everything, it's really slow

you get a gray token if you scan every enemy and all the red-colored scan points that aren't switches.
that's about it.

soldat7

CraigMcD said:
You need to collect the rest. You can scan for clues at the Impact Crater.

Thanks.

Edit: After a couple of hours working on these, I'm not happy. This is definitely the worst part of the game.

Davey Cakes

soldat7 said:
Edit: After a couple of hours working on these, I'm not happy. This is definitely the worst part of the game.
Meh. I just don't get this mentality. None of the fetch quests in the Metroid Prime games are as bad as people make them out to be.

soldat7

Rash said:
Meh. I just don't get this mentality. None of the fetch quests in the Metroid Prime games are as bad as people make them out to be.

It's just tedious. I've spent 15 wonderful hours with the game and now I get to go on a multi-hour fetch quest? Sounds a bit like Bioshock but worse. I guess I should have been paying attention to the artifact clues a bit closer all along, but as it stands I only have 6/12 and it's just a bit frustrating. I also spend too much time just trying to remember how to get places...I hear Echoes improves on this somewhat so we'll see. I got really frustrated a few minutes ago trying to remember how to get to Phendrana Drifts so I walked away and will come at it with a cooler (hur) head later tonight.

Brandon F

Currently at 85% items and 95% scans in MP1. I am missing the final chozo lore scan listed in Samus' log(which I hope is found after collecting all 12 artifacts...), and aside from the final boss scans, I am missing an enemy scan listed directly under Fission Metroid(assume it's another Metroid variant that is yet to show up since the boss scans start underneath). I'd appreciate any info if I am correct on these assumptions.

Beyond that, I don't know HOW I'll get 100% items. I feel like I have been everywhere and yet there is still some missing secrets in the world. I'd love to move onto MP2, but I never did 100% MP1 way back and I wanted to this time.

Anyway, really looking forward to moving onto MP2 since it's been 5 years since I last played!

Brandon F

WORLDWIDEWII said:
just pick this up yesterday,

question, where do i save? i played for 5 minutes and i had to leave for work..

First save point is about 20 minutes in right before the first boss. Once the 'Real' game starts, you'll find many more savepoints, including your ship.

OMG Aero

Rash said:
I can understand people not liking the end of game fetch quest but so far no-one complaining about the keys in MP2 has complained about getting the artifacts in MP1 which is basically the same thing.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
OMG Aero said:
I can understand people not liking the end of game fetch quest but so far no-one complaining about the keys in MP2 has complained about getting the artifacts in MP1 which is basically the same thing.

Keys in MP2 is a lot more of a pain in the ass.

Xav

Metroid Prime Trilogy is a perfect example that the Wii does not have to be all about mini games & gimmicks and that it can hold it's own against the PS3 or Xbox 360. Normally my Wii does nothing more than act as a USB charger most of the time but since Metroid Prime Trilogy came out I've not really played with my PS3 or Xbox 360. Looking forward to whatever Retro Studios does next, not looking forward to Team Ninja's attempt to somehow follow up on what Retro Studios have done with the Prime series.

BorkBork said:
Keys in MP2 is a lot more of a pain in the ass.
I found them easier to collect, then again I was using a guide for both games when it came to the collecting part.

soldat7

I've settled down a bit. I still don't like fetching the artifacts very much, but I'm changing my perspective a bit and am looking at each of them as a small puzzle; that helps me mentally I guess ;) I do wish I had been paying more attention to the clues and tried to get some more of these as I went along.

The artifacts don't bother me all that much given that I've played Metroid Prime enough times that I gather them all while I play through the game and never have to go on a fetch quest after the fact.

Davey Cakes

Finding artifacts isn't much different than finding missile expansions and energy tanks. You can find a lot of them if you're just looking around for secrets as you're playing the game. I'm surprised not more people play the game this way, since that's what I think makes for a solid approach to the Metroid games.

This is especially so for Metroid Prime 3. After hearing about some "fetch quest" especially from IGN's video review, I thought I'd be up for something that completely halts the gameplay to detrimental levels. When I go to the part of the game where you have to collect energy cells, I already had almost all of them, so it barely felt like a fetch quest at all. Just playing the game like I generally play all Metroid games, I didn't experience the same annoyance that some other people did.

But, hell, even when you do actually have to stop and go hunting for the last few artifacts you missed, I still don't see the problem. It's not really a huge challenge or anything. The game gives you the hints, and every hint pretty much gives away the name of the room you're going to on the map. The rest is just using your abilities to find the artifact. I don't know...as a Metroid fan I actually find it fun to explore the world and find all the secrets, and yeah, the artifacts are a "forced" way of doing this but sometimes I'm glad when a game actually makes me explore instead of just leaving it optional.

Osuwari

Brandon F said:
Currently at 85% items and 95% scans in MP1. I am missing the final chozo lore scan listed in Samus' log(which I hope is found after collecting all 12 artifacts...), and aside from the final boss scans, I am missing an enemy scan listed directly under Fission Metroid(assume it's another Metroid variant that is yet to show up since the boss scans start underneath). I'd appreciate any info if I am correct on these assumptions.

Beyond that, I don't know HOW I'll get 100% items. I feel like I have been everywhere and yet there is still some missing secrets in the world. I'd love to move onto MP2, but I never did 100% MP1 way back and I wanted to this time.

Anyway, really looking forward to moving onto MP2 since it's been 5 years since I last played!

that enemy is in the second room of the impact crater.

all items have a humming noise that tells you where they are. some places like chozo ruins have rooms with multiple missile expansions.

Top Bottom