• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Aru

Foliorum Viridum said:
I just finished Metroid Prime too. It came so close to reproducing everything that was great about Super Metroid it's not even funny. Fuck that last boss though - I got to the final form 3 times with too little health to do it. I still hate the antiquated notion of boss battles like that, but eh, it didn't sour 15 hours of greatness.

It'll probably be a month or two before I start Echoes. I feel like if I went from one Metroid to another straight away it would burn me out on the series.

I've beaten every single boss on the first try except for the Omega Pirate.
The last part of the last boss is a bit tricky though :p

The game isn't produced anymore ? Must have bombed :/
I'm renting the game for a month, it's enough to finish the 3 games without 100% of the items.

Almost finished MP2, I need 4 more keys to have access to the last part of the game.

I hope to start Corruption tomorrow.

JaseMath

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah it was the last form that kept fucking me up. :(
If we're talking about the last boss (
Metroid Prime
) then all you have to do to make it easier on yourself is
lay powerbombs to destroy the metroids that spawn from the Phazon pools
. Makes life much easier.

Never realised this was going to be limited. I don't own a wii but feel that I should at least buy it somewhere before it's never seen again :/ It's an amazing bundle. Well at least someone in my family owns it so that's cool.

Still sucks that EU got no STEEL BOOK, especially with a 4 month print run.

Culex

Banned
To be expected. I figured it was going to be a limited release title anyways, but I'm glad i picked it up when it first came out.

It really is an awesome value. The packaging alone is worth the price, too.

Teknoman

So it really was a "collectors edition" then. Usually you're able to find stuff like this on clearance/ still shipped to stores well after release.

OMG Aero

Culex said:
Wait...the PAL release didn't have any special packaging like the US version?
It came in a special sleeve and the actual box didn't have the Wii banner on the top or any of the describing text so it's a pretty nice box. The art book is also in the box so basically it's the same as the US version but not in a tin (And there were no pre-order bonuses that I know of).

Four months after its release, Nintendo has stopped publishing and shipping the Metroid Prime: Collector's Edition. A company rep told an interested gamer the only way to find it now is through the second-hand market.

"[It] is no longer being shipped," Nintendo told the blog Coffee With Games. "When first introduced, it was announced that there would be limited availability. However, a reason for this was not announced. That being said, you may still be able to locate a copy via stores that specialize in previously played or used games."

Man that sucks, guess NOA really did want it to be a collector's item. I bet NOE will keep publishing it for a while longer though.

The way Nintendo games keep their value I can see this collection easily being worth near full price for a long time, maybe even more in a few years if kept mint.

sfried

Perhaps they will release a "fixed" version somewhere down the road? I still feel hesitant buying the thing after all the graphical glitch issues (not to mention slight censorship) with the version.

In any case, since I already have MP1 and 2. Is the stand alone MP3 still in sale somewhere?

sfried said:
Perhaps they will release a "fixed" version somewhere down the road? I still feel hesitant buying the thing after all the graphical glitch issues (not to mention slight censorship) with the version.

In any case, since I already have MP1 and 2. Is the stand alone MP3 still in sale somewhere?
What issues are there? and what was censored?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
sfried said:

If by graphical glitch you mean the missing armcannon effects from MP1, that's not that big of a deal imo, but what censorship?

Balb

Glad I got this collection immediately. Based on interviews, it's clear that Nintendo wants to sweep this mini-series under the rug, so I doubt we'll see anything like the Prime games in a long, long time.

Aru

Missing arm cannon effects are no big deal at all.

Just finished MP2 tonight. I was good, but I prefer MP1.

Starting MP3 tomorrow as planned.

OMG Aero

Easy_D said:
If by graphical glitch you mean the missing armcannon effects from MP1, that's not that big of a deal imo, but what censorship?
The only thing I can think of is in MP3 Admiral Dane says 'no' instead of 'damn' in one cutscene. Which is really nothing to care about at all.

Osuwari

Diablohead said:
I would think (and I am probably wrong) that the trilogy version is based on the original code for each game, MP1 was delayed by like 6-8 months in the UK and PAL land thus the game had some fixes and benefits like water ripples, extra gun effects and longer loading on elevators to prevent the random loading crash bug.

But the trilogy version seems to have a good chunk of the fixes and area adjustments the pal version had, so somehow they mashed both together.

those effects were in the original NTSC American release. the only effect that was added was ice trails for ice beam shots.
those effects were removed because they were "2D" and if the arm cannon moved, they would stay static and that would look bad. in mp2, the effects were 3D already so they kept them intact there.
the reason the game crashed was that it loaded too fast. newer versions had a slower loader to prevent this.
the trilogy version is the PAL version with wii controls.

Osuwari

Kureishima said:
I thought that music was new/different. When playing that boss this time on the Wii I thought "wow, so awesome. . " but I also thought I did not recollect that particular music . .

the thing is that in the original NTSC version, the music didn't loop properly. only a part of it looped.
the PAL version had that fixed and, since the trilogy is an enhanced PAL version, we got that fix now so we never got to hear the full music until now.

Osuwari said:
those effects were in the original NTSC American release. the only effect that was added was ice trails for ice beam shots.
those effects were removed because they were "2D" and if the arm cannon moved, they would stay static and that would look bad. in mp2, the effects were 3D already so they kept them intact there.
the reason the game crashed was that it loaded too fast. newer versions had a slower loader to prevent this.
the trilogy version is the PAL version with wii controls.
Now that is interesting and the awnser this thread needed about 4 months ago when discussion on missing effects was hot :lol thanks for explaining.

OMG Aero

Diablohead said:
Now that is interesting and the awnser this thread needed about 4 months ago when discussion on missing effects was hot :lol thanks for explaining.
This thread had the answer when the game came out. People just kept ignoring it or not reading the posts with it in.

Osuwari said:
those effects were removed because they were "2D" and if the arm cannon moved, they would stay static and that would look bad.

Sucks they decided to change part of the game for such a stupid reason. I don't think any actual consumer ever noticed anything weird about the animations. It just really sucks to have the freeze beam not ice-over the gun when charging it, and then have the ice break off when you fire. And it doesn't explain the removed water ripples. Even if they were flawed, they added to the game's atmosphere.

So I beat Prime 1 today. 75% items, 93% scans, 22 hours. And I thought I had gone back and gotten everything I had remembered seeing... looks like I'm going to have to go explore some more. I started up Prime 2. I thought it would be like Prime 1 where the opening sequence is separate from the rest of the game and was planning on saving after the opening sequence, but that didn't happen, as it transitions smoothly into the main game. Once I figured that out, I figured I'd save once I got back to my ship, because I was used to my ship as a central location in Prime 1, but that didn't happen either. Instead I ended up going all the way to the Agon Wastes before stopping. I don't really like how you have to go to your logbook to read scans, although it was worth it for some of the things the soldiers had to say. Getting your items stolen seemed to make more sense than losing them all in an explosion. I also started Prime 3. You can definitely tell Prime 3 was made for the Wii while the other 2 just had Wii features added to them. There's a lot more pointing to hit precise targets (and more use of the pointer in general in menus and stuff), motion controls besides the pointer, and plus the graphics seem better, too. I've gotten so used to scanning things in the first 2 games that having to interact with them in the normal visor by pressing A is going to be hard to get used to. Speaking of scanning things, Prime 3 seems to give out tokens a lot faster than in the first two games for the extras. Anyway, I should probably be doing them in order, so I'm going to focus on Prime 2 next.

Teknoman

Dreamwriter said:
Sucks they decided to change part of the game for such a stupid reason. I don't think any actual consumer ever noticed anything weird about the animations. It just really sucks to have the freeze beam not ice-over the gun when charging it, and then have the ice break off when you fire. And it doesn't explain the removed water ripples. Even if they were flawed, they added to the game's atmosphere.

There was nothing weird originally. It would have been weird in this version of the game however, if you were charging your gun, happened to aim at something far to the left, yet the effects stayed as if they were wrapped around thin air.

Osuwari

cooljeanius said:
So I beat Prime 1 today. 75% items, 93% scans, 22 hours. And I thought I had gone back and gotten everything I had remembered seeing... looks like I'm going to have to go explore some more. I started up Prime 2. I thought it would be like Prime 1 where the opening sequence is separate from the rest of the game and was planning on saving after the opening sequence, but that didn't happen, as it transitions smoothly into the main game. Once I figured that out, I figured I'd save once I got back to my ship, because I was used to my ship as a central location in Prime 1, but that didn't happen either. Instead I ended up going all the way to the Agon Wastes before stopping. I don't really like how you have to go to your logbook to read scans, although it was worth it for some of the things the soldiers had to say. Getting your items stolen seemed to make more sense than losing them all in an explosion. I also started Prime 3. You can definitely tell Prime 3 was made for the Wii while the other 2 just had Wii features added to them. There's a lot more pointing to hit precise targets (and more use of the pointer in general in menus and stuff), motion controls besides the pointer, and plus the graphics seem better, too. I've gotten so used to scanning things in the first 2 games that having to interact with them in the normal visor by pressing A is going to be hard to get used to. Speaking of scanning things, Prime 3 seems to give out tokens a lot faster than in the first two games for the extras. Anyway, I should probably be doing them in order, so I'm going to focus on Prime 2 next.

as you said, mp3 from the very first time looks like a wii game while the other 2 look like games with added wii stuff. the tokens are like that because mp3 was made with them in mind but the first 2 just had a few added to unlock some stuff that was automatically unlocked in the originals as you progressed. for the first 2, you get them from artifacts/temple keys/bosses mostly. the good thing is that you get almost every one of them in a normal playthrough and don't have to be on the lookout for every scan like mp3.

Metal B

Metroid Prime Trilogy - Termination of Production

It looks like Nintendo will not produce anymore copies of Metroid Prime Trilogy. They dont say, why but it looks like the package was just a limited edition.

German source

Shiggy

Metal B said:
Metroid Prime Trilogy - Termination of Production

It looks like Nintendo will not produce anymore copies of Metroid Prime Trilogy. They dont say, why but it looks like the package was just a limited edition.

German source

old-couple.jpg

The panic sure has spread to Europe. Amazon.co.uk shakers and movers Metroid Prime Trilogy up 511%. GAME group is out of stock. All this in spite of the fact the only confirmation is North America...

Aru

MP3 is a blast. I'll wait to finish it just to be sure, but so far it seems like it's the best of the series for me:
- better graphics
- more cut-scenes
- voice acting
- Samus' colleagues
- better storytelling thanks to the cut scenes
- the game seems more action oriented than its predecessors

MP1 had almost no cut scene, you could only understand the (background) story by scanning and reading the Pirates computers.

MP2 had a few cut scenes, mainly to introduce Dark Samus and a few Luminoth events. The story is simple. A bit of depth could be added by reading the post-death messages of the soldiers.

Shafto

I'm in the U.K., and been meaning to pick this up for a while. I was hoping, like all the NPC! games here, it'd bomb and drop in price and I could pick it up in a month or two.

Ended up completely freaking out at this news today though and buying it down Game. They have it instore for £29.98. I have to say, my suspicions were alerted a little yesterday. Blockbuster have it in their sale - it was £29.99, down from £34.99. Well it was, 2 days ago. Yesterday, it was still on sale, but had actually gone UP in price to £32.99. Very strange.

So, if you're really keen, check Blockbuster and Game, as it looks like this is gonna disappear off the radar. Lots of online retailers simple have no stock of it at all, and ebay prices are higher than Game instore.

upandaway

You know, it made me remember that deal that was a while back, I think, where this game was sold for 20 bucks or something? Nintendo loves to make people feel like idiots.

Osuwari

Shafto said:
I'm in the U.K., and been meaning to pick this up for a while. I was hoping, like all the NPC! games here, it'd bomb and drop in price and I could pick it up in a month or two.

Ended up completely freaking out at this news today though and buying it down Game. They have it instore for £29.98. I have to say, my suspicions were alerted a little yesterday. Blockbuster have it in their sale - it was £29.99, down from £34.99. Well it was, 2 days ago. Yesterday, it was still on sale, but had actually gone UP in price to £32.99. Very strange.

So, if you're really keen, check Blockbuster and Game, as it looks like this is gonna disappear off the radar. Lots of online retailers simple have no stock of it at all, and ebay prices are higher than Game instore.

this is part of the problem.
letting the game bomb is what put it in this situation.

Balb

The strange thing is that the other NPC games are still being shipped according to Nintendo, so I don't think it's necessarily about the sales, because MPT outsold the other NPC games I believe.

scitek

upandaway said:
You know, it made me remember that deal that was a while back, I think, where this game was sold for 20 bucks or something? Nintendo loves to make people feel like idiots.

I ordered it from Best Buy's website on Dec. 21st. it was back-ordered, but it was delivered to me on Jan. 5th. $23 shipped.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Gamer @ Heart said:
DavidDayton, you broke my heart bro. You never reciprocated the friend tokens i sent you. : (

Wait -- I thought I DID send you tokens?

(ponders)

Oh drat. I know what happened... I sort of stopped playing MP3 and focused on MP1 and MP2, which meant I never got any more tokens... ack...

I'll try to get you some more tokens over the next few weeks; I didn't realized I never sent you any more.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I just finished MP3 tonight. Having never played it before, I am quite exhausted... I'm a huge fan of MP1 and 2 (although 1 is my favorite) and MP3 was quite enjoyable to say the least. Visiting different worlds, hypermode, using the ship ect were all great. I have a few minor complaints. While the story is lacking, I never really considered this to be a feature of the metroid games. Story is kept to a minimal, but with the added narrative, it might have been nice to see a little development and surprises along the way. All goes as expected for the most part. I think I would have loved to see more metroid creatures, and at least one metroid boss (metroid spawner thing didn't really count). The game is still called Metroid after all, not Phazon Pirates, or revenge of Dark Samus (Did she really have a plot anyways?). The music wasn't entirely memorable for me either. But my biggest general complaint was the lack of difficulty. I never replayed a boss twice (with the exception of the last) and died maybe one other time in the whole game. That and the fact that you are always told where to go and what to do next in the game. I'm guessing this might have been, in part, due to the game releasing on a new console, with a new base of customers and kids not familiar with the franchise.

Despite this I still think I might have enjoyed myself the most with MP3, but I'm not sure yet. The gameplay is pretty spot on with near impeccable controls. Nice but not too frequent use of the Wii remote for levers and such. Decent puzzles (again too easy) and some good platform jumping here and there. The visuals are fan-fucking-tastic though! It isn't so much that the graphics impress (although they aren't terribly bad), but the art direction and level design has to been seen to be believed. Every fucking switch, door, floor mechanism, ball tunnel, swivel, cannon, tower, hallway, and lugnut has been custom made for each world, and all seem to be original and unique. The texture work is very artistic and the geometry (the creativity of it) is great. You really have to see it. It's beautiful. I think that some of the weapon upgrades are redundant (we've been given boost balls, spider-balls, grappling hooks ect in previous games) and I would have liked to see more original items and mechanisms personally although Hypermode was fun. So is rolling around in the ball and electrocuting everything. The visors were all uninventive this go around, but I guess summoning the ship is useful; it's just that it isn't always exciting. The most exciting feature was using the X-ray visor to target weak points on enemies and I feel that I didn't get to use it enough to get the full enjoyment out of it.

All said I still think this was a great game. There were some good moments, great locations, interesting creatures, the best and tightest controls, and a good sense of exploration, even if you knew what direction to head to. I guess the isolation factor was missing, but I can still live with it. I still love the Metroid Prime games. MP3 didn't disappoint me on the whole, but I hope if Retro makes any more Metroid games that they move on to a new format or style. As much as I enjoyed this I think I'm ready to move on...

scitek

Does anyone need any tokens or whatever for the unlockables in MP3? I'm playing through it now and would like to exchange 'em.

:D Finally got it! Last minute impulse buy, I saw it yesterday at one of my local chain stores and couldn't resist the urge to buy it. :lol when I got home my wii remote was out of batteries so I had to steal my roommate's tv controller batteries. I think it's time to get some rechargable batteries for my wiimote :D

Anyway, I've got my wii hooked up to a 32" LCD Bravia 2, but... I'm ashamed to say that I have it running through composite video cables (the default ones that come with the Wii). Since I've read so many horror stories for how the Wii looks on LCD televisions, I haven't decided to take the plunge and get the component cables. So, gaf, I ask you: Is it worth to get the wii component cables for this game to run on a 32" LCD Bravia? (worth meaning that the game will look better, not worse).

Guevara

FunkyPajamas said:
:D Finally got it! Last minute impulse buy, I saw it yesterday at one of my local chain stores and couldn't resist the urge to buy it. :lol when I got home my wii remote was out of batteries so I had to steal my roommate's tv controller batteries. I think it's time to get some rechargable batteries for my wiimote :D

Anyway, I've got my wii hooked up to a 32" LCD Bravia 2, but... I'm ashamed to say that I have it running through composite video cables (the default ones that come with the Wii). Since I've read so many horror stories for how the Wii looks on LCD televisions, I haven't decided to take the plunge and get the component cables. So, gaf, I ask you: Is it worth to get the wii component cables for this game to run on a 32" LCD Bravia? (worth meaning that the game will look better, not worse).

I have a 40" Bravia and it is definitely worth it.

FunkyPajamas said:
So, gaf, I ask you: Is it worth to get the wii component cables for this game to run on a 32" LCD Bravia? (worth meaning that the game will look better, not worse).

Yes. In my opinion, if you have an HDTV, it's worth it to invest the cables for 480p.

EDIT: Beat.

Struct09

FunkyPajamas said:
So, gaf, I ask you: Is it worth to get the wii component cables for this game to run on a 32" LCD Bravia? (worth meaning that the game will look better, not worse).

Yes, there is no reason it shouldn't look better, especially at that screen size. I use component cables and have the Wii at 480p on my 46" Bravia.

Christine

FunkyPajamas said:
I haven't decided to take the plunge and get the component cables. So, gaf, I ask you: Is it worth to get the wii component cables for this game to run on a 32" LCD Bravia? (worth meaning that the game will look better, not worse).

Component cables are always better. Some people prefer the look of 480i on certain TVs or games (e.g., Twilight Princess) - but component cables give you the option of using 480i or 480p, and 480i over component is better than 480i over composite.

Jrmint

Yes definitely get component cables for Wii, I remember when Wii first came out it was so hard to get those, but I am so glad I have them now.

That is crazy they are stopping production of this game, thank goodness I got it at launch.

Maybe this will turn into one of those games which becomes worth a lot down the road, guess only time can tell.

TwinIonEngines said:
Component cables are always better.
Struct09 said:
Yes, there is no reason it shouldn't look better, especially at that screen size.
Reluctant-Hero said:
Yes. In my opinion, if you have an HDTV, it's worth it to invest the cables for 480p.
Guevara said:
I have a 40" Bravia and it is definitely worth it.
Skel said:
Yes definitely get component cables for Wii, I remember when Wii first came out it was so hard to get those, but I am so glad I have them now.
Component cables win by landslide! :lol Thank you so much guys, I'll get them tonight :D

Top Bottom