• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Nbz

That's why you can tap the touch screen (general area where the map is) with your thumb instead and instantly go into morph ball.

fake edit: oh beaten :)

Taping the touch screen might be a good alternative if you didn't have to take your thumb off the circle pad to activate it. It's jarring.

Producer

That's why you can tap the touch screen (general area where the map is) with your thumb instead and instantly go into morph ball.

fake edit: oh beaten :)

Thats works but it stops your movement, even if just for a split second. Should have mapped the select button at least for morph ball, or zl/zr for n3ds.

1upsuper

So for anyone who's already doing it (amiibo spoilers):
How cool and essential is Fusion mode? I don't care too much about the gallery nor the sound test but Fusion mode sounds great, and I like the sound of it as an alternate hard mode. However, I don't have the amiibos, and I'd need to buy that scanner peripheral since I have an OG 3DS.

Also nice avatar, Producer; UK is one of the best game series ever.

tesqui

Played a few hours and i'm really liking it!

I know it would look really bad, but I wish they would release an accessory similar to the Vita TV so that I can play it on a bigger screen. Or like release a mini dock similar to Switch.

Beat all the Metroids in Area 2. This game is everything I dreamed it would be. Super great. Area 2's size was legitimately surprising.

The amount the map has been changed makes it hard to recognize for a Metroid II vet but you can definitely feel that it's based around the same general layout, so it's neat to sometimes realize "hey, I know where this is."

KHlover

Banned
That derp moment when you miss one breakable block in the corner of the map and then spend the next hour desperately trying to figure out what you missed >.<

So for anyone who's already doing it (amiibo spoilers):
How cool and essential is Fusion mode? I don't care too much about the gallery nor the sound test but Fusion mode sounds great, and I like the sound of it as an alternate hard mode. However, I don't have the amiibos, and I'd need to buy that scanner peripheral since I have an OG 3DS.

Also nice avatar, Producer; UK is one of the best game series ever.

As far as I'm aware, it's only enemies do and take even more damage.

If it were something crazy like the frame window for counter was reduced drastically, I'd lose my mind

Anyone else's gameplay experience significantly hampered by being forced to use the circle pad for movement? I have massive comfort issues playing for longer than a few minutes at a time due to the grip required to use that pad plus the L button. With Shovel Knight, I don't have that problem, because I'm generally only using the face buttons and d-pad.

Anyone else's gameplay experience significantly hampered by being forced to use the circle pad for movement? I have massive comfort issues playing for longer than a few minutes at a time due to the grip required to use that pad plus the L button. With Shovel Knight, I don't have that problem, because I'm generally only using the face buttons and d-pad.

It's a 3DS game that requires your fingers to be glued to the shoulder buttons. It's going to wreck your hands, get used to it.

KDR_11k

Yikes, so far I don't like the feel of it at all. I've been playing a lot of A Robot Named Fight lately which is very Metroidy but very much unlike this. Especially those super tanky bats that you're supposed to parry... I have no parry reflex at all yet and just take them all to the face.

Also for some reason I always want to use the right trigger to aim.

Opa-Pa

Appropriate!

DutUYJs_d.webp

I have it on shuffle with the NES Metroid theme too. I really hope we get to do stuff like this on the Switch at some point.

Little kids getting toys always is a hard pass not to be angry. It is awesome when I go to pick up a game and see a kid walking out with a game. Reminds me of me when I was that age.

I know right? Sure I wanted my silly Metroid toys, but it's hard to see stuff like that and think "hey, that could have been me!". Gee, I wish there was merch like that around back when I was a kid buying Metroid games, haha.

Thats works but it stops your movement, even if just for a split second. Should have mapped the select button at least for morph ball, or zl/zr for n3ds.

I use my right thumb which doesn't always rest on the buttons anyways, so there's no loss in movement.

KHlover

Banned

I wish I could use the Dpad for movement and the circle pad for the abilities. It's not uncomfortable for me, but I much prefer to play 2D Metroidvanias with a Dpad. Too bad 360° aiming makes this impossible.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I haven't received my delivery for this thanks to the cunt responsible for the attack this morning in London. I live the same area so there's a load of road closures.

TheMoon

Razia

Just got the notification from amazon that my copy was delivered. Wish it a little earlier so I could've gotten it before leaving for work. Oh well.

Kadin

Pretty blown away with how well the 3D is done in this game. The background artwork is amazing at times and this might be the first game I actually play with the 3D turned on 100% of the time.

Definitely not the easiest of games though, had a number of frustrating situations where I was bombarded by numerous enemies all lunging at me with no real easy way to melee them all at once. Nothing like being knocked around like an idiot... lol

Bauer91

Finished it. It's really long for a 2D Metroid, isn't it? For some reason my playthrough seems to have taken much longer then most. Picture of the clear time screen, no real spoilers:

https://i.imgur.com/N4ttCPJ.jpg I died a bunch and that doesn't seem to count, since the Activity Log puts it at 20 hours played. And that's just with ~50% completion, too.

FaintDeftone

I used Scan Pulse for the first time when acquiring it and instantly regretted it. Sort of takes the fun out of finding where you need to go.

Otherwise, really enjoying the game so far. I won't lie though, I really wish it was on the Switch. I haven't touched a 3DS since the Switch launch.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
I used Scan Pulse for the first time when acquiring it and instantly regretted it. Sort of takes the fun out of finding where you need to go.

Otherwise, really enjoying the game so far. I won't lie though, I really wish it was in the Switch. I haven't touched a 3DS since the Switch launch.

i will never use this feature. completely antithetical to metroid ethos.

TheMoon

How are people finishing the game already? It usually takes me at least a week sometimes a. Month to finish Metroid

2D Metroids? 8-10h games? I mean, 100% I get that but if you're really clamping down and aren't super time restricted with long work hours + family time, etc, you get through them quickly.

Slixshot

Banned
Went to NYC Nintendo Store. Lots of amiibos, collectors editions, and collectors editions 2DS XL:

uxmc3mUl.jpg

You also get a keychain with purchase!

These are my first amiibos.

Do you all unbox them or let them in the box on the shelf?
I only unbox them if I need them for a game. That being said, I've only left my 2 cloud amiibos in boxes because they are the only ones I bought not for a specific use.

HotHamBoy

Just saw the Legacy Edition* and was like "this might be the first collector's edition of a game I ever buy..."

*UK ONLY

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Seriously, NoA blows. EU gets all the good CE Nintendo stuff.

TheMoon

Just saw the Legacy Edition* and was like "this might be the first collector's edition of a game I ever buy..."

*UK ONLY

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Seriously, NoA blows. EU gets all the good CE Nintendo stuff.

name one other case lol

they've mostly been the same, only varying in packaging most of the time and NA sometimes gets more stuff than EU. there is no overall winner on either side.

maxcriden

Is it?

I live in MS and I need to know if I should go to GameStop or best buy and buy a new 2dsxl and a copy of the game. Is it really worth 200 bucks for a new 2d metroid...

Probably

You could just get a 2DS or OG 3DS regular or XL for a lot less. Lots of amazing games available for the system.

Picking up my amiibo 2-pack at TRU after work but I just realized I don't have a N3DS, only a reg. So I'll try to find someone who can scan my amiibo with my copy of MSR in their system later I guess. Damn.

Dimmle

Did anyone order online from GameStop and not receive the keychain with the game? According to my order status, the keychain hasn't shipped yet (???).

daakusedo

They could have kept a flexible walljump for some fun, as it just put more use on bombjump to do the same things.
So in an early room with three copied segments of water and high walls, I used it to pass through and get denied by a blower and slippery wall. I hope it doesn't do this too much but having played Ori and Strider as my last exploration games, it's already so much ahead in level design, in so few playtime...
There's still the possibility of being letdown by speedbooster absence but let's enjoy for now.

Top Bottom