• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

This game is rad. Really digging all the QOL additions and Melee Counter feels perfectly natural. Also, dat music.

Pretty cool how they granted context to the "sinking lava" progression from the original. Now you don't have to wander all over to find out where it sank!

Made it to the second area and Loving it so far. The counter is really fun, but I hate that the aeon ability is mapped to the a button. I've accidentallly hot it 3 times now. Is there any way to disable it?

Opa-Pa

Scan pulse is nice, actually, and clearly some secrets were designed with it in mind. I just wish its area of effect was a bit smaller... I usually use it when using the spider ball and I can't afford to get to crazy bombing everything to find stuff, and the thing covers so much of the map that I always end up uncovering stuff from other rooms unintentionally.

beril

I hoped I would be able to enjoy the game by pretending it was in no way related to Metroid 2, but I still can't help getting annoyed at all the changes. It doesn't feel like there is much love for the original; just keeping some of the superficial stuff out of obligation, while doing nothing to capitalize on what actually made the original great.
This should really have been an original game instead of a pseudo-remake

jabstab

Neo Member
Not sure if this was addressed already but...are there any differences between the game running on new 3ds vs old 3ds?

Sorry if it covered already but don't wanna browse incase spoilers.

Could someone tell me exactly what Fusion mode is now the game is out so not just speculation about how it is different.

Thanks.

Kindekuma

Banned
Oh man I had a journey with this.

Went to go pick up my SE pre-order at GameStop, traded in like 2 games and got the SE for $0.48, then I wanted the amiibo. Well I didn’t pre-order it like a dummy so I went to Target, Best Buy, and Walmart all with no luck. Then as I was heading home I remembered Toys R Us so I gave them a call and they had like 1 left so I had them hold it for me.

Got everything BAYBEEEE

DeathPeak

Diagonal aiming with ZL/ZR would have been a nice addition, but overall, I'm loving it! It definitely just feels like a brand new Metroid rather than a remake.

KingBroly

Banned
Diagonal aiming with ZL/ZR would have been a nice addition, but overall, I'm loving it! It definitely just feels like a brand new Metroid rather than a remake.

If anything were put on ZL/ZR, it'd be
Beam Toggle because that'd take it off the touchscreen.

Eusis

Went digital just so I could play on my birthday.

After sinking some time in: the music area is a huge let down, and for sticking us with movement on the analog pad I wish it also had some degree of analog movement too. Otherwise this is great and made me realize that fundamentally I did want a serious shakeup with 2D Metroid... that didn't simply go "ok we'll railroad things even more and tie you down with narrative." The core appeal is to have at least a significant amount of wiggle room to run around and find your path, and this fully respects that within the framework of what it's remaking (you were always going to be hobbled by the Metroid chokepoints.)

KayMote

Holy shit, I'm dying countless deaths at the final boss! This is freaking hard! Didn't think that I would say something like that for a Metroid game again.

So, how hard is the fusion mode? I'm pretty good at challenging 2D games, love them, but i just want to be sure it's not too hardcore just for the sake of it! Is it well balanced?

A few hours in: the controls are fantastic and responsive, the 3D effect is great, and I love that it is just open enough.

Very fluid experience. Positive I'll go through it at every difficulty.

RPS37

I haven't even finished Planet Robobot and this is probably coming in the mail tomorrow...
I also have like 10 console games I'm trying to finish.. what am I gonna do??!

Realeza

Banned
I hoped I would be able to enjoy the game by pretending it was in no way related to Metroid 2, but I still can't help getting annoyed at all the changes. It doesn't feel like there is much love for the original; just keeping some of the superficial stuff out of obligation, while doing nothing to capitalize on what actually made the original great.
This should really have been an original game instead of a pseudo-remake

Those are some weird complaints. The original game wasn't very good.

I played nearly two hours today, and I like it a lot. I beat Super for the first time early in the year and while I liked it I definitely didn't love it like most people out there.

As for this game, I had some hard time with the controls at first but after that I feel they are pretty alright. Music went from great to almost nonexistent for some areas which I dislike.
On the other hand, this game is hard. Like, not punishing and frustrating hard, but challenging, which I love. If anything, the fact that enemies charge at you non stop could get annoying after some time, but except for it, everything else is really good.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Cant afford to buy it right now, but whipped up some fanart for the release (twitter link)

tumblr_owc9yc0ULB1qed0geo1_540.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's for online and in-store. I've had experiences at GameStop where I had to explicitly ask for the preorder bonus.
It's definitely in store, I didn't preorder the game but I went into Gamestop to pick it up today and they gave me the keychain.

Kintaco

I'm pretty sure it's for online and in-store. I've had experiences at GameStop where I had to explicitly ask for the preorder bonus.
I'll make sure to ask them. Just waiting on the 3DS XL to get here. And need to wait for Best Buy to restock those Amiibos, and I'll be set.

Double D

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but am I cool playing this on a 3DS without the little right stick thingy?

It's a 3DS game that requires your fingers to be glued to the shoulder buttons. It's going to wreck your hands, get used to it.

See, that's the thing: I don't know that I enjoy the game enough to get used to it. I'd rather be playing Shovel Knight or Axiom Verge. I keep waiting for the "good part," but I just don't know if I can wait that long. My Metroid counter is at 35 or so.

I wish I could use the Dpad for movement and the circle pad for the abilities. It's not uncomfortable for me, but I much prefer to play 2D Metroidvanias with a Dpad. Too bad 360° aiming makes this impossible.

Yeah... I really wish they hadn't forced it, though. I would've been okay with not having the 360 aim. It's also clunky not to be able to get out of morph ball mode with the jump button.

Best Buy delivered me the Amiibo two pack already, but I'm still waiting on Amazon to actually ship the game, lol. Should get here in a few hours at least.

Ernest

Banned
Okay, played a bit - I HATE that they won't let you use the D-pad, and that you have to use the nub-pad instead. Controls like crap, and I can only crouch half the time. Blech.
D-pad must be mandatory for 2-D platform games like this.

Croc

Banned
so the melee was a bit difficult to get used to but now that I am I really like how it makes you have to consider every encounter, even just random regular enemies. You can't just rush through everything

beril

Those are some weird complaints. The original game wasn't very good.

Plenty of people would disagree. The atmosphere is still unmatched by any other game in the series and the gameplay holds up fine.

What's even the point of doing a remake when you're changing everything? It could easily have been a new game. The superficial stuff it keeps from M2 aren't that interesting, and it's not like the story matters in Metroid so there's really no point in retelling it. Calling it a remake does nothing but disappoint the people who actually do like Metroid 2

KingBroly

Banned
Plenty of people would disagree. The atmosphere is still unmatched by any other game in the series and the gameplay holds up fine.

What's even the point of doing a remake when you're changing everything? It could easily have been a new game. The superficial stuff it keeps from M2 aren't that interesting, and it's not like the story matters in Metroid so there's really no point in retelling it. Calling it a remake does nothing but disappoint the people who actually do like Metroid 2

You could never really remake Metroid 2 for the purists (however many there are) and get away with it. No music? Points down. Zoomed in too much? Points down. Make it more playable? Somebody complains. On and on we go.

linkboy

My one issue with the game is the controls. I've never been a big fan of the 3DS ergonomics and playing a side scrolling game with the circle pad isn't all that great.

Otherwise, the game is fantastic.

Astral Dog

You could never really remake Metroid 2 for the purists (however many there are) and get away with it. No music? Points down. Zoomed in too much? Points down. Make it more playable? Somebody complains. On and on we go.
Yeah this one should be tons better than that old GameBoy game.

Just learned you can use the melee counter on a frozen enemy to shatter them. You won't get as many pickups from them if you had shattered them with a missile but it can be a quick way to down an enemy when you're in a tight spot.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My one issue with the game is the controls. I've never been a big fan of the 3DS ergonomics and playing a side scrolling game with the circle pad isn't all that great.

Otherwise, the game is fantastic.

Have a set of grips? No one should play 3DS without one. Literally no one.

Sorry if it covered already but don't wanna browse incase spoilers.

Could someone tell me exactly what Fusion mode is now the game is out so not just speculation about how it is different.

Thanks.

I watched some footage and it's basically super hard mode. Early game enemies can kill you in 2 hits.

Nbz

See, that's the thing: I don't know that I enjoy the game enough to get used to it. I'd rather be playing Shovel Knight or Axiom Verge. I keep waiting for the "good part," but I just don't know if I can wait that long. My Metroid counter is at 35 or so.

Yeah... I really wish they hadn't forced it, though. I would've been okay with not having the 360 aim. It's also clunky not to be able to get out of morph ball mode with the jump button.

There is a very good reason you can't use the jump button to exit morph ball mode.
Because you can eventually jump as a ball

Top Bottom