• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Alrus

I knew I felt something off about things. It's the same crappy developer that did that crappy Castlevania game Mirror of Fate. That game was such a turd...

I don't know what it is about Samus Returns. Everything is off about this game. Samus just looks all "wrong" (Eurogamer put it best - "like a cosplayer in an ill-fitting suit").

Then the controls are sloppy, the aiming and counter-attacking are uninspiring, everything is so bland.

I think after playing real gems like Ori and the Blind Forest, this only makes nonsense like Samus Returns feel that more junky.

But to each his own, of course.

It's okay we get it, you don't like the game. No need to post variations of the same post 5 times in a row.

FiveSide

Banned
Feel bad for the 3D haters with this game. It looks amazing and adds so much to the atmosphere.

YES! The 3D effect here is awesome, as a bunch of other people have mentioned too. It's bizarre that my favorite 3D implementations on the 3DS have been games that weren't full 3D - Shovel Knight, A Link Between Worlds, etc., and now Metroid.

I always have the 3D cranked up and it'll actually be bittersweet moving on to a handheld that doesn't have it.

I knew I felt something off about things. It's the same crappy developer that did that crappy Castlevania game Mirror of Fate. That game was such a turd...

I don't know what it is about Samus Returns. Everything is off about this game. Samus just looks all "wrong" (Eurogamer put it best - "like a cosplayer in an ill-fitting suit").

Then the controls are sloppy, the aiming and counter-attacking are uninspiring, everything is so bland.

I think after playing real gems like Ori and the Blind Forest, this only makes nonsense like Samus Returns feel that more junky.

But to each his own, of course.

Ori's a great game and looks a lot better than Samus Returns, but personally I think SR has the more satisfying moment-to-moment gameplay. It's the best-controlling 2D Metroid game we've yet had. Hopefully more are to come!

I wasn't the biggest fan of MercurySteam either but I'd be fine with them cranking out 2D Metroids moving forward (probably won't happen, but who knows).

EDIT: Wow I just realized that the same developer has now worked on both Castlevania and Metroid...bizarre coincidence I guess? Pretty crazy though

nynt9

YES! The 3D effect here is awesome, as a bunch of other people have mentioned too. It's bizarre that my favorite 3D implementations on the 3DS have been games that weren't full 3D - Shovel Knight, A Link Between Worlds, etc., and now Metroid.

I always have the 3D cranked up and it'll actually be bittersweet moving on to a handheld that doesn't have it.

Yeah the 3D is pretty good. I get ghosting when I crank it to the max but mostly it adds a good feeling of depth.

KayMote

After finishing the game I jumped right back into it and collected 100 % of the items - altogether it took me 13 hours to complete it in it's entirety!

100% Ending Spoilers:
No special ending tho? Hm :/

entremet

Woah. This is game is rather good! I love Metroid, but never played Samus Returns. Love the different spin with the Metroids here.

After finishing the game I jumped right back into it and collected 100 % of the items - altogether it took me 13 hours to complete it in it's entirety!

100% Ending Spoilers:
No special ending tho? Hm :/

Getting 100% gives you all 10 Chozo Memories in the options menu

The other reward is getting to see Zero Suit Samus if you beat the game in less than 4 hours

Toxi

Banned
She's like a superhero!

I can dig it.
Makes sense when you realize Samus basically is a superhero.

870aede51e653b373aed7958aeaecb792f2f27f5_hq.jpg

1280px-Superman_shield.svg.png

kunonabi

Put in a couple hours and aside from some minor quibbles with the controls and not really liking the new Metroid battles I'm enjoying it.

That said, who ever decided not to make the spider ball a toggle deserves a stern talking to.

KayMote

Getting 100% gives you all 10 Chozo Memories in the options menu

The other reward is getting to see Zero Suit Samus if you beat the game in less than 4 hours

Ah thanks! Haven't even checked out the options yet and was already confused, when people were talking about chozo memories, since I expected them to be ingame :D

EDIT: Wow I just realized that the same developer has now worked on both Castlevania and Metroid...bizarre coincidence I guess? Pretty crazy though

Apparently they are Metroid fans. IIRC the story is that they pitched a Metroid Fusion remake to Nintendo, and Nintendo asked them to work on this instead.

It makes sense that they would be Castlevania fans, too. Good on them, seeking out projects they want.

The ZSS design in the European Art Book (thanks Reggie :) is REALLY good
I wish they got rid of the fucking high heels. It especially makes no sense because her feet wouldn't fit inside the shoes of her power suit since that one does NOT have space for said high heels.

The one thing from Other M that refuses to die.

1upsuper

I wish they got rid of the fucking high heels. It especially makes no sense because her feet wouldn't fit inside the shoes of her power suit since that one does NOT have space for said high heels.

The one thing from Other M that refuses to die.

It's really dumb, especially when they respect the design of the suit in her design in other areas. I didn't even hate Other M that much but it feels like a damn specter we'll never completely escape. Other than that though I dig her new look.

Emitan

Really loving the game so far but my hands and wrists are killing me. I don't remember the 3DS being so painful to play, but I do have a disorder that's making my joints more painful over time...

Got the
Grapple Beam
and pretty lost but having a good time.

Apparently they are Metroid fans. IIRC the story is that they pitched a Metroid Fusion remake to Nintendo, and Nintendo asked them to work on this instead.

It makes sense that they would be Castlevania fans, too. Good on them, seeking out projects they want.
I'm glad Nintendo asked them to do this instead, Metroid 2 needed a remake more

In terms of how samus controls this is easily the best feeling Metroid game. The only reason this can't beat super metroid for best game in the series is because its still trapped by the original metroid 2 structure. I badly want to see Mercurystream make an original metroid game with these mechanics and a more free level design structure.

Ok, now I need help. I'm in Area I. I've killed two Metroids. I know where a third one is, but I can't get to it. I put two DNAs in the shrine, and it's pointing out a thing near a save point in the upper-right. I got there. There's nothing there except a Metroid husk I can't do anything with. I'm sure a 4th Metroid is nearby, but I can't get to it. Where now?

EDIT: Never mind, figured one way through.

jb1234

My pinkie is going numb every so often and I don't even care. This game is making me deliriously happy. I'm in Area 4 and don't want it to end.

The Wart

I'm baffled by people complaining that you're forced to use the melee counter too much. Are y'all not using your missiles or something?

Regarding the Zero suit, I swear I saw a higher quality picture that showed her with the mole still, it could be artifacting making it look like it's not there. If it is gone though good riddance, both the mole and high heels had to have been inserted because of Sakamoto's fetishes. Especially when the original ZSS design specifically stated to avoid giving her tall heels. Goddamn I hate the heels. But other than that I love the design.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am not really getting the complaint against the control as I feel that Samus moves so much smoother than she did in Zero mission.

Then again I am crap at Metroid game and I will openly admit that.

I hate the hell out of every single ZSS design but

Props to MercurySteam for erasing The Mole®.

What's wrong with the mole? I think that she looks fine with it.

This game is sublime; Samus is at her best when she's acrobatic like this. I want free aim in all future 2D Metroids.

Damn do these metroids hit hard.

FiveSide

Banned
In terms of how samus controls this is easily the best feeling Metroid game. The only reason this can't beat super metroid for best game in the series is because its still trapped by the original metroid 2 structure. I badly want to see Mercurystream make an original metroid game with these mechanics and a more free level design structure.

I think Super Metroid still wins out in overall atmosphere, but other than that I 100% agree. I'm actually concerned it'll be hard to go back to Super's control scheme after this.

I was cagey about using the circle pad for movement at first, but after a couple hours it became a non-issue. And the 360-degree aiming is awesome, definitely worth the trade-off imo.

Also I've been playing Ys VIII and I keep pressing the wrong button to melee counter because of that...actually got me killed against one of the Metroids.

EDIT: I'm curious to hear more opinions about this, how do you all think SR stacks up to the rest of the series so far?

For me it's a smidge below Super but above Fusion and Zero Mission.

Had to turn to youtube to find
the ice beam
. I was wondering around forever. Without the internet I'd never finish a Metroid or Zelda game, lol. Love it so far. I was concerned about the controls but everything feels great on 2dsXL. Kinda miss 3d after all the good things I've heard. Happy hunting.

Jaraghan

So the ability that
scans...

Isn't that a bit game breaking? It seems like it will just
reveal everything on the map right?

DVCY201

Alright, I got my copy. I supported this series everyone! When it goes back into dormancy, you can all know I did my part

Griss

Half the Metroids defeated. This game is really good. I've already had multiple occurances of the classic metroid 'invisible guiding hand' - where you're sure you've found some awesome secret or are heading in the wrong direction but are actually still on the critical path.

Personally, I think the analogue controls and new combat gameplay are both absolute winners. I always thought that shooting things was the weakest part of 2d Metroids, and Super Metroid in particular, but here it's more involved, more precise, more engaging. I really like it. I do wish they could have spiced up the Metroid encounters a bit, but they are what they are, and are obviously far better than what we had in the original.

I think the game is probably too derivative of past Metroids to be considered a classic in the series, but it's a rock-solid return to form, and considering the past decade in the series and the concerns over the developer MecurySteam I think we should all be delighted with what we've gotten here.

So the ability that
scans...

Isn't that a bit game breaking? It seems like it will just
reveal everything on the map right?

I think it is game-breaking, yes, and I simply refuse to use it. I think you'd really spoil the game if you abused that.

Top Bottom