• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Opa-Pa

Yup, I'm enjoying the metroid bosses a lot too. It's good to feel like my character is capable enough to have a fair fight against a boss in a 2D Metroid for a change.

Samus' agility and precision in this are a game changer.

Yeah, heels would be silly for both of those purposes. They're just for the sake of making a stereotypical caricature.

I love Samus' armor design but ZSS has always looked like a go at creating the most generic "sexy sci fi suit lady" design possible.

It's the worst thing in the series for sure. I mean even that new design is... Okay I like her expression, I guess, but the rest sure looks like a powerful woman reduced to wearing a skin tight suit with a lot of titty and ass, yup. Because why would she be imposing and fearful all the time, right?

Servbot24

Banned
The most frustrating thing of all is that they clearly had the chops to do a top-tier game in this format, judging by how SR turned out. It makes me wonder what exactly went wrong with their take on Castlevania (specifically Mirror of Fate).
They're probably a very different studio than they used to be. Employee turnover is so high that following specific studios is often pretty meaningless, unless they have a consistent visionary presence.

They're probably a very different studio than they used to be. Employee turnover is so high that following specific studios is often pretty meaningless, unless they have a consistent visionary presence.
I'd also point out that Nintendo has a tendency to bring out the best in smaller studios they collaborate with. Likely because the smaller studios don't get nearly as many resources available to them when they work on other projects. As well as Nintendo has gotten very experienced in thoroughly polishing and testing their games over the decades. Not too mention this is a remake of a game so they aren't starting from complete scratch. While turnover is part of it. I don't think it's as drastic of an impact. Mercury Steam seems to also have expanded quite a bit since Castlevania released.

Kangi

In area 3 now. Enjoying it, though so far the environments are blending together in my head. Can definitely say I'm liking it better than Fusion, at the least.

Got 25 Metroid left to go. Hands hurt, but it's worth it. Not a fault with the game, but I keep back tracking only to realize my next location was just a few feet away lol

Nessus

This game is the real deal. The music and sounds are awesome, the gameplay feels really tight, and the areas are huge and challenging enough. I'm so glad Metroid is back.

I don't get a lot of the complaints about the controls, they're certainly not bad (for me, they're great, and you wouldn't be able to free aim with the d-pad).

I would have preferred that A be mapped to "turn into morph ball" and Aeon powers mapped to touchscreen.

I keep hitting the Aeon scan accidentally and I don't want to use it unless I get really stuck. As soon as I get another Aeon ability I'm switching it.

1upsuper

I was disappointed to hear that MS was developing this game but it has exceeded my expectations. It is mechanically excellent and feels good to play. I do accidentally trigger special abilities too often though. And I sincerely regret that the game isn't sprite-based. The environments feel way too samey and there's none of the claustrophobia and really alien feel of the rest of the 2D Metroids. As someone who is only a fan of the 2D games it just feels off. Still a great game though.

yatesl

I'm really struggling to get used to the controls. I've finally got the parry system down, but both moving and aiming with the circle pad I'm finding cumbersome - maybe it's because I've got big hands and a original 3DS, but it's a bit cramped - especially when holding L to free aim.

I've resorted to not actually shooting things, and just parrying.

I imagine these complaints have been repeated 100 times already though

Forward

Just to area two. Yeah, I caved and bought it. And goddamn was I right about how crap circle-pad movement would be for Metroid. Ugh. It's like 2D tank controls compared to a D-pad.

HiroTSK5

Those late game bosses are something...

so glad they made queenie tougher than before

Edit: Just finished the game, only got lost a few times. I played the original and seeing how faithful to it's level design this version is is appreciated. Game is satisfyingly difficult. Weird that they group up a lot of the end game power-ups within a 10 minute and
Ridley feels like a cop-out. I'm guessing the Final Scene is referencing Fusion.

Jinroh

This game is weird, something’s off about it. It doesn’t help that I’m playing AM2R simultaneously. I don’t think it really catches Metroid 2’s feeling. It feels like a totally different game.

Also weren’t the earthshake that lower the lava caused by the queen in the original game?

Korigama

I thought the heels just made her tall enough for her armor. She is doing the old Prince trick.
The first variant back in Zero Mission didn't have heels, though (the design notes even discouraged the idea of anyone adding them, IIRC).

Anyway, personally don't like the design from the EU artbook. The art itself is okay, but I don't care for the alternating coloring on the fingers (I don't mind the idea in theory, but don't like the execution here) or the inclusion of the platform heels, which seemed just as unnecessary on her when Other M introduced them. The only time heels have seemed to work on the Zero Suit at all has been with Smash 4, where the shock absorber theory actually seems plausible.

Nere

I just finished area 3 and the enemy vatiety is just abysmal. There are like 5 enemy types and some recolors of those enemies which are stronger. Also many enemies are tanky just so you have to use the parry. It is a good game for sure but nowhere near zero mission or fusion imo.

Kindekuma

Banned
Finishing the evening by getting to Area 3. I got stuck for a little bit in Area 2, since the one last Metroid I needed to hunt down there was in an area that required the
Spring Ball
. No other Metroid in the area or puzzle in the area required it but that one power up, so I had to go track it down.

I'm loving this game, man. So much fun.

mandiller

It's been quite a while... So happy we're able to celebrate the release of another 2D Metroid!

vm6Oy3Y.jpg

BRV58i6.jpg

Blues1990

The real reason is sex appeal, but the story reason is probably that the heels house shock absorbers that allow her to survive falls from great heights. That, and/or jet thrusters as per Smash 4! But I agree, it's pretty silly.

Sex appeal? Really?! The heels don't make her look sexy. They make Samus look ridiculous. Especially since the Zero Suit doesn't mesh with the Power/Varia/Gravity Suit's flat heel boots.

Hence why I always prefered Zero Misson's casual outfit (the one Samus wears in the game's ending). You can argue that the sports bra and short shorts are worse than a body suit, but at least the footwear makes more sense than the Zero Suit's stilettos. (It's also why I wished the Zero Suit would go away at this point.)

Played about 2-3 hours last night before bed, and this game has already got me seriously hooked.

Purely on gameplay alone this feels like the Method I've wanted since Fusion. The fact that so far the atmosphere, level design and progression has been just right is giving me real hope this will end up being my favourite 2D game in the series.

Going to sort out pets, get my chores for the day dome, then try and get as much more in as possible!

ZeroX03

Banned
The most frustrating thing of all is that they clearly had the chops to do a top-tier game in this format, judging by how SR turned out. It makes me wonder what exactly went wrong with their take on Castlevania (specifically Mirror of Fate).

I'd also point out that Nintendo has a tendency to bring out the best in smaller studios they collaborate with. Likely because the smaller studios don't get nearly as many resources available to them when they work on other projects. As well as Nintendo has gotten very experienced in thoroughly polishing and testing their games over the decades. Not too mention this is a remake of a game so they aren't starting from complete scratch. While turnover is part of it. I don't think it's as drastic of an impact. Mercury Steam seems to also have expanded quite a bit since Castlevania released.

The idea that MercurySteam was some crappy studio that ruined Castlevania was always stupid. Lords of Shadow 1 was a pretty great game regardless of what you personally might have wanted out of Castlevania and saved the series. It was a solid title from a time of a more understanding Konami. Mirror of Fate was a cheap game intended to as a stop gap. It didn't get the time or resources necessary. LoS2 was a frankenstein's monster of a game. The music, combat and art were phenomenal. They were just all mashed together with some really terrible decisions. The potential was there in abundance, but the direction was atrocious.

They do have a consistent visionary presence: and not a good one. Yes, he's still there, and working on their other game. You want an explanation on MoF/LoS2? Start there. Samus Returns is what happens when it's Nintendo guiding and a more unified team. I'd say the employees are what make MercurySteam, not the leaders. Because clearly they're amazing when given the opportunity.

Korigama

Sex appeal? Really?! The heels don't make her look sexy. They make Samus look ridiculous. Especially since the Zero Suit doesn't mesh with the Power/Varia/Gravity Suit's flat heel boots.

Hence why I always prefered Zero Misson's casual outfit (the one Samus wears in the game's ending). You can argue that the sports bra and short shorts are worse than a body suit, but at least the footwear makes more sense than the Zero Suit's stilettos. (It's also why I wished the Zero Suit would go away at this point.)
The heels were flat around the time of Zero Mission, as well as Brawl.

They started changing that with Other M.

KingBroly

Banned
Just got to Area 4. Area 3:
Area 3 probably could've been its' own game, tbh. Very big, pretty varied. I still have a lot to pick up there.

In regards to the Zero Suit in the artbook, it doesn't look like they used it in-game, so that's kinda disappointing.

CassSept

Just to area two. Yeah, I caved and bought it. And goddamn was I right about how crap circle-pad movement would be for Metroid. Ugh. It's like 2D tank controls compared to a D-pad.

Yeah kinda how I feel about it right now. I'm liking the game and it's always nice to have a new Metroid game, but the controls feel awkward, even more so due to it being on the 3DS which generally isn't too comfortable of a console.

I also do feel like the counter mechanic combined with aiming really damages the pace of the game, at least early on. I've read in some reviews that it gets better so I'm hopeful about that.

Other issues stem from it being, all in all, Metroid 2 remake - too many dull Metroid encounters, overreliance on spider ball.

Overall though, so far (2 hours in) it's a fine game, though flawed in several respects.

Neiteio

Real-life heels are also dumb and impractical -- hard to walk in and uncomfortable after a while -- but women still wear them because they have a slimming effect on the legs and look sexy. So yes, sex appeal. This ain't rocket science. Although I agree it's a frustrating trope for a character like Samus. She has no reason to wear them, given the demands of her occupation. Unless they're Portal-style shock absorbers, I suppose.

TheMoon

That's the thing, I don't think it's necessary ( all previous game didn't had) but it's mandatory ( as far as I know)

Also it's the first Aeon powerup, and uses very little energy. It should deplete the bar and have a cooldown so balance.

I know people will say don't use it, but it's the same as not getting all hearts in Zelda, you have to limit yourself of the obvious.

No it's not the same. I keep forgetting that I even have the ability. I haven't used it since the time I got it.

If I'm impressed by any one thing, and trust me, it's not just one thing, it's how great it feels to play. This game, with requiring the analog slider and locked at 30 fps, feels better to control than a lot of similar games do on a d-pad and at 60 fps. This must've been playtested to utter perfection by the testers.

Mario Club didn't get its reputation from making good PB&J sandwiches.

NEO0MJ

The heels were flat around the time of Zero Mission, as well as Brawl.

They started changing that with Other M.

It's hilarious how there's a note that says don't make the heels high (with an example of how not to do it) only for them to ignore it later XD

MLH

Just thought I'd write my impressions down on this game:
When MercuryStream was announced as the developer of this game I was a bit put off. After their rather mediocre Castlevania games I was sure this was going to end up as another bland failure to recapture Metorid fans; I was wrong and I'm sorry for thinking so poorly of you MercuryStream.
From the moment I started this game it's been pure joy. Samus is fast and fluid, controls feel perfect. The combat is great, a proper evolution of Metroid gameplay, rather than that mess that was OtherM. Instead of enemies floating in place and acting as obstacles they are more active, attacking you. The quick counter is a nice addition that's not so easy to pull off each time (until you learn enemy timings)

Again, with the announcement of hard mode being locked behind amiibo I was worried that this game would be a bore to play on standard mode. And again I was wrong.
Difficulty is perfect; I've died numerous times thinking that I can make it through a hot zone or just by dipping in the poison waters (seeing how far I could go). Enemies hit hard and you'll quickly run out of energy with too many mistakes. If you're looking for a challenge you'll find it in this game.
Overall world design has been great too, I've found it challenging (but not frustrating) to traverse the world, it's not always obvious where I need to go next and requires some thought and searching (actually engaging the player and making them think!)

Music is good, but not perfect, it has some memorable tracks, seemingly those that are remixes of existing tracks, everything else is ambient music. I personally prefer the more prominent accompaniment music from Super Metroid and even Metroid Prime (which had a nice mix, I'm sure we can all hum a song from that game).

Graphical details are really nice. Seeing streamed footage and screenshots, I thought this game looked ugly, but playing in person I'm quite impressed, environments are nicely detailed and there's lots to pause at; sometimes to admire the scale other times to see more closely what's in the background. With the 3D on it looks great.

TL;DR I'm blown away by this game. If you're a Metroid fan that's felt lost for the past decade THIS is the game you need.

I'm excited to see what fans make of this game, how will speedruns play out andhow will general replay-ability be. I think this will remain as a must play for fans along side the other great Metroid games.

TheMoon

Anyone else have problems downloading the game? I've tried like 10 times now and the download keeps failing.

can you download other things? do you have a different sd card you could try to see if your card may be dying or something? (back up to pc first!)

baphomet

Anyone else manage to soft lock it?

After a lot of bomb jumping I'm 1 Metroid in and at the bottom of a cavern with my only option being a save pillar, 1 door I can't unlock, and a room I can't progress in.

TheMoon

Anyone else manage to soft lock it?

After a lot of bomb jumping I'm 1 Metroid in and at the bottom of a cavern with my only option being a save pillar, 1 door I can't unlock, and a room I can't progress in.

is this your first metroid? :)

if you really can't figure it out, give us screenshots so we can see where you are.

(spoiler tag them or just post links, don't embed)

IrishNinja

best buy has now sent me 11 emails to let me know they don't have my preorder for the US LE, but other ships do (they don't)

BB is garbage, anyone else having the same shit

Top Bottom