• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

KingBroly

Banned
I like how the proportions are subtly exaggerated to resemble the Power Suit.

I think it's more that they took the care like Retro did to actually fit Samus inside the Power Suit unlike most people do. But for me, it's the colors and the presentation of how they see Samus, or how Samus should be to them.

Xbro

So are you supposed to just battle it out with the
Queen Metroid? Or are you supposed to just jump into her mouth at some point. Or push her back somewhere?

Toxi

Banned
I think it's more that they took the care like Retro did to actually fit Samus inside the Power Suit unlike most people do. But for me, it's the colors and the presentation of how they see Samus, or how Samus should be to them.
Nah, that art definitely has her proportions designed to be similar to the Power Suit's. Broad shoulders, narrow waist, long thick legs, small head.

It works really well.

The art design for Samus Returns in general is phenomenal. I understand why people are upset about the game being on the 3DS, but even on that shitty little screen the style still oozes out.

I want to see what Sakamoto and Mercury Steam can do with a new game.

So are you supposed to just battle it out with the
Queen Metroid? Or are you supposed to just jump into her mouth at some point. Or push her back somewhere?

You remember the fight with her in Other M?

Grapple beam into the mouth and power bomb

ryseing

Between this and Shadows of Valentia, Nintendo has had a good year with remaking old classics that may not hold up well for whatever reason. Hopefully the trend continues.

1upsuper

Finally gonna start soon but damn, I really wish hard mode were unlocked from the start. I hate when games don't let me start on the mode I always want to default to. :/

Poppyseed

Not a huge fan of using the circle pad to move.

Not a fan at all.

I know. It's bloody awful. Not to mention the finger gymnastics trying to crouch and shoot, or aim and shoot, but aiming with missiles. It's AWFUL. I do not recommend this game at all. The controls are quite frankly - shit. The loosest Metroid controls ever. I can't fathom the praise this game is getting, but maybe it's just having a Metroid game again is overshadowing actual reality of the situation.

I've played every Metroid game and loved them - from the SNES onward, all the GBA games, Wii games etc. This is by FAR the worst of the lot. It just feels unfinished, graphically, and the controls are a giant F U. It's actually a joke how bad they are.

.la1n

I have adjusted to the circle pad but it took some time. I'd like an option to change it up even at the expense of more precise aiming.

Opa-Pa

I know. It's bloody awful. Not to mention the finger gymnastics trying to crouch and shoot, or aim and shoot, but aiming with missiles. It's AWFUL. I do not recommend this game at all. The controls are quite frankly - shit.

I've played every Metroid game and loved them - from the SNES onward, all the GBA games, Wii games etc. This is by FAR the worst of the lot. It just feels unfinished, graphically, and the controls are a giant F U. It's actually a joke how bad they are.

Literally none of those actions are hard to perform... Man, I know some people get cramps from playing on 3DS and stuff, but posts like this are so weird.

When did holding down a button while pressing another become this high level skill in games?

KayMote

HOLY COW! After around an hour of desperate goofing around I FINALLY understood how you get past those red spikes. This has got to be one of the best Eureka moments in the entire Metroid franchise for me! :D

Damn, I was so hopeless and then it clicked! Now I can finally the rest of the items - these were the only ones that I needed to make the 100 % complete.

Feffe

HOLY COW! After around an hour of desperate goofing around I FINALLY understood how you get past those red spikes. This has got to be one of the best Eureka moments in the entire Metroid franchise for me! :D

Damn, I was so hopeless and then it clicked! Now I can finally the rest of the items - these were the only ones that I needed to make the 100 % complete.
Can you spoil the solution? :p

Coming from a recent play of super, scan pulse is such a better version of the x ray visor.
Agreed, it's far more elegant.

I used Scan Pulse for the first time when acquiring it and instantly regretted it. Sort of takes the fun out of finding where you need to go.
Every game starting with Super has had some form of Map Station or Navigation room though, you must have used those? I've yet to run in a Map Station in this game so I'm guessing the Scan Pulse takes the place of that.

Just got to Area 2. Loving this game so far. Glad to see Metroid back in good form.

I know. It's bloody awful. Not to mention the finger gymnastics trying to crouch and shoot, or aim and shoot, but aiming with missiles. It's AWFUL. I do not recommend this game at all. The controls are quite frankly - shit. The loosest Metroid controls ever. I can't fathom the praise this game is getting, but maybe it's just having a Metroid game again is overshadowing actual reality of the situation.

Hyperbole much? The game controls fine. The circle pad allows for much more precise aiming.

Poppyseed

Literally none of those actions are hard to perform... Man, I know some people get cramps from playing on 3DS and stuff, but posts like this are so weird.

When did holding down a button while pressing another become this high level skill in games?

Oh it's all that crap COUPLED with all the cramps. It's a recipe for misery. And are you telling me you can easily jump in the air while simultaneously pressing both triggers to AIM + switch to ROCKETS + push the circle pad DOWN+SORTA LEFT and then hit the SHOOT button to hit the enemy next to you on the ledge?

Baloney.

This game is literally not Metroid anymore, but a weak clone of itself. I have Metroid Fusion on my 3DS as well, and it's amazing to fire it up and see how a Metroid game should be done. I hadn't played it in years and I wondered if maybe I'd just grown out of Metroid. Nope. Fusion is 100x the game this crap is.

If it sounds like I'm pissed, it's only because I am. This will be traded in first thing tomorrow.

KayMote

Can you spoil the solution? :p

Ah, I don't want you feel robbed of your Aha! moment, so I'll give a hint.

It's some sort of "hidden ability" that you can activate in Morph ball mode that pretty much subtitutes the shinespark

Gsnap

So, uh.

If anyone out there is on the fence about this game, don't put too much stock in this post. It's a pretty huge overreaction.

People are far too attached to the idea that a side scroller can never be controlled with an analogue stick. It's a very stubborn mindset. For instance, the analogue stick is the best way to play tropical freeze, and it works great in this game too. I've been able to hit incredibly accurate shots on bosses to cut off some of their longer attacking phases when their hitboxes are more obscured and moving very fast. Wouldn't be able to do that in other metroid games.

In general, I agree that sometimes it's hard to play the 3ds comfortably, but the controls are accurate, fluid, and snappy regardless. I'm sorry some of you guys are having so much trouble with it, but I just can't see how.

Opa-Pa

Oh it's all that crap COUPLED with all the cramps. It's a recipe for misery. And are you telling me you can easily jump in the air while simultaneously pressing both triggers to AIM + switch to ROCKETS + push the circle pad DOWN+SORTA LEFT and then hit the SHOOT button to hit the enemy next to you on the ledge?

Baloney.

This game is literally not Metroid anymore, but a weak clone of itself. I have Metroid Fusion on my 3DS as well, and it's amazing to fire it up and see how a Metroid game should be done. I hadn't played it in years and I wondered if maybe I'd just grown out of Metroid. Nope. Fusion is 100x the game this crap is.

If it sounds like I'm pissed, it's only because I am. This will be traded in first thing tomorrow.

Honest? Yes. It sounds complicated on paper so I tried it out just now, and yeah, no problem at all.

You're making me doubt though, I wonder if it's common to have trouble pulling off that kind of thing? I play a crap ton of 2D platformers after all.

Then again, I don't think the game ever asks that kind of maneuver from you. But to be fair, a toggle for missiles as an option is a weird omission.

Bringing up Fusion is weird though lol, this is far more "Metroid" than Fusion, and I'd argue better too.

Is it not possible to counter this boss
the rolling guy in the 2nd main area
I keep dying trying to get the timing right.

I don't think it's possible at all... But it felt pretty damage spongey so maybe it is?

Gsnap

Honest? Yes. It sounds complicated on paper so I tried it out just now, and yeah, no problem at all.

You're making me doubt though, I wonder if it's common to have trouble pulling off that kind of thing? I play a crap ton of 2D platformers after all.

I don't think the game ever asks that kind of maneuver from you thougy. But to be fair, a toggle for missiles as an option is a weird omission.

Bringing up Fusion is weird though lol, this is far more "Metroid" than Fusion, and I'd argue better too.

Yeah, the game never forces anything complicated on the player. It's up to the player how fast or how slow they play, and what type of simple or complicated moves they attempt to perform.

Opa-Pa

Yeah, I'm actually loving that the game allows for that kind of movement at all. I've pulled off so many crazy things on enemies, stuff I never imagined would be possible in a 2D game, let alone Metroid.

This is one of the most satisfying 2D combat I've seen in quite a while.

Baloney.

Yes, actually. It requires the use of all four sides of the controller, but none of those conflict with each other:

Left index finger to go into aim mode.
Right index finger to toggle to missiles.
Left thumb to aim.
Right thumb to slide from jump to shooting.

I've done it before in Metroid battles when I had to jump over the ones that sweep into you.

Then again, I don't think the game ever asks that kind of maneuver from you. But to be fair, a toggle for missiles as an option is a weird omission.

I don't think it's possible at all... But it felt pretty damage spongey so maybe it is?

As far as I can tell the only thing you can do is
use bombs to knock him out of his rolling animation, it leaves him stunned for a few seconds not like a melee counter but get the same result

Opa-Pa

As far as I can tell the only thing you can do is
use bombs to knock him out of his rolling animation, it leaves him stunned for a few seconds not like a melee counter but get the same result

Wow, it never occurred to me... Actually I think that's how you fight him in the original. Damn, I'm dumb, haha.

Poppyseed

I knew I felt something off about things. It's the same crappy developer that did that crappy Castlevania game Mirror of Fate. That game was such a turd...

I don't know what it is about Samus Returns. Everything is off about this game. Samus just looks all "wrong" (Eurogamer put it best - "like a cosplayer in an ill-fitting suit").

Then the controls are sloppy, the aiming and counter-attacking are uninspiring, everything is so bland.

I think after playing real gems like Ori and the Blind Forest, this only makes nonsense like Samus Returns feel that more junky.

But to each his own, of course.

nynt9

So, uh.

If anyone out there is on the fence about this game, don't put too much stock in this post. It's a pretty huge overreaction.

People are far too attached to the idea that a side scroller can never be controlled with an analogue stick. It's a very stubborn mindset. For instance, the analogue stick is the best way to play tropical freeze, and it works great in this game too. I've been able to hit incredibly accurate shots on bosses to cut off some of their longer attacking phases when their hitboxes are more obscured and moving very fast. Wouldn't be able to do that in other metroid games.

In general, I agree that sometimes it's hard to play the 3ds comfortably, but the controls are accurate, fluid, and snappy regardless. I'm sorry some of you guys are having so much trouble with it, but I just can't see how.

Going into morph ball is pretty annoying, and you can accidentally put yourself out of it because you can accidentally push upwards slightly. Also doing any sort of combination of jumping, aiming and rockets at the same time or in quick succession is pretty uncomfortable. To me the controls aren't a disaster per se, but they're pretty lackluster. Combined with the excessive combat (especially in like area 3 where enemies get spongier and you REALLY have to counter them to be able to kill them reasonably, which really breaks up the pace) these two are my biggest issues with the game.

It's not a bad game, I actually really like the level design and the art direction is surprisingly good, but the controls and combat feel like a self-inflicted mishap that could have been avoided pretty easily. It just feels unpolished and not well thought out, unlike previous mainline Metroid games.

Poppyseed

Going into morph ball is pretty annoying, and you can accidentally put yourself out of it because you can accidentally push upwards slightly. Also doing any sort of combination of jumping, aiming and rockets at the same time or in quick succession is pretty uncomfortable. To me the controls aren't a disaster per se, but they're pretty lackluster. Combined with the excessive combat (especially in like area 3 where enemies get tougher and you REALLY have to counter them to be able to kill them) these two are my biggest issues with the game.

It's not a bad game, I actually really like the level design and the art direction is surprisingly good, but the controls and combat feel like a self-inflicted mishap that could have been avoided pretty easily. It just feels unpolished and not well thought out, unlike previous mainline Metroid games.

You're way more generous than I am about this game. So many better titles to play that it's no big deal to dump this by the wayside and move on to better things. It's so blatant (to me at least) that this wasn't developed by a decent studio.

(For one thing, make scanning a 2-button combination, and let rockets which you use ALL THE DAMN TIME be the A button. Jeez..)

Gsnap

Going into morph ball is pretty annoying, and you can accidentally put yourself out of it because you can accidentally push upwards slightly. Also doing any sort of combination of jumping, aiming and rockets at the same time or in quick succession is pretty uncomfortable. To me the controls aren't a disaster per se, but they're pretty lackluster. Combined with the excessive combat (especially in like area 3 where enemies get spongier and you REALLY have to counter them to be able to kill them reasonably, which really breaks up the pace) these two are my biggest issues with the game.

I do feel varying levels of discomfort sometimes, but it's more the hardware than anything, as I feel that way playing all 3ds games to varying degrees. But I don't think using the dpad would make the game much better since I really enjoy the free aim. And I've already given my opinion on the counter.

KayMote

Baloney.

I used exactly that type of movement to fight a boss and felt bad-ass after that. You guys complaining about the controls are crazy. I mean, I'm sorry for your loss, but still... crazy!

Top Bottom