• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Opa-Pa

Schattenjäger;249071750 said:
What's the soundtrack comparable to?
Super Metroid is one of my favorites

So far it's very ambient-focused rather than going for catchy melodies like most 2D Metroid. It's very reminiscent of the Prime games.

Griss

Just me or is it WAY easier to bomb jump in this game?

It's way easier as you can drop 4 bombs before you have to wait. In other games you could only drop 3. A successful bomb jump requires 3 bombs. Therefore in past games you had to time and place each one exactly. Here you can basically just spam them.

The waiting time for your bombs to respawn is also lower than it has ever been.

Bomb jumping is easier but it seems to me that there's a hard limit on how many times you can bomb jump in a row, but I might be mistaken.

---

Area 3 is humongous, this is easily the largest 2D Metroid ever.

jb1234

So far it's very ambient-focused rather than going for catchy melodies like most 2D Metroid. It's very reminiscent of the Prime games.

It's kinda boring so far, aside from a track taken straight from Super Metroid. Certainly nothing I'd want to listen to outside of the game.

Great job on the OT, Moon.

Played this side by side with a friend tonight which was a great way to experience the game for the first time. We compared our progress as we went through the first several areas. Got the Ice Beam and fighting the second Metroid now, this game is soooo good so far, Moving and aiming with the circle pad feels great, level design is tight with save points at just the right spots. I also really dig how morph ball bombing is super easy to take advantage of now and doesn't require spammimg your bomb a million times. Love that they use some of Prime's soundtrack, top shelf. Having a new, no frills, back to basics 2D Metroid is so good. Great treat for loyal 3DS owners, now if DQ 11 3DS gets localized the system will have a perfect send off.

Got the special edition at Gamestop. Been listening to the soundtrack CD and the 8-bit keychain is very nice. I will be splurging for the Euro SE in the near future though. For now this will do:

X6jwA12.jpg

Alongside my mint and compete GB copy:

Hb93g7U.jpg

Opa-Pa

Yeah, never thought I'd say this, but please stop bringing back Lower Norfair lmao, it's kinda losing all its magic. If it even is a remix at all that is, it sounds identical to Magmoor Caverns.

Pretty weird that AM2R of all things used it far more creatively.

Prime was very melodic

Prime 1 yeah, should have specified. I meant stuff like parts of Prime 2 and 3. Like Dark Agon.

Servbot24

Banned
Just bought a New 3DS specifically for this game. Firstly the console feels nice. I actually like the 3D effect. It makes the in game models look like little toys in a diorama. Really cool.

The game itself seems pretty good. I only played for 2 hours, but so far my impression is that it's a good 2D Metroid game, which is all I asked for. Not making as strong of an impression as Super, Fusion and Zero but that's okay.

Feffe

If it was he would have had a credit.
However it was leaked in 2015 than MS was pitching something Metroid to Nintend. And we know that SR development has been long and rocky. Unless they started literally some months after Iwata's passing, I think the project started under him.

Opa-Pa

However it was leaked in 2015 than MS was pitching something Metroid to Nintend. And we know that SR development has been long and rocky. Unless they started literally some months after Iwata's passing, I think the project started under him.

They have never admitted this themselves, but it was leaked by Liam Robertson that they apparently pitched a completely new 3D Metroid game first, which got rejected and they salvaged and transformed into their own game, Raiders of The Broken Planet (which apparently is releasing next week?).

If we assume they suggested Fusion remake after that, and THEN they shifted to Metroid II, then I think it makes sense Iwata didn't get to be part of it.

Oidisco

I don't mind having an ambient soundtrack, it can work in a lot of games but in this game all the ambient tracks sound the same and it gets annoying. I really wish this game had brand new melodic tracks, it sorely needs it. I'm sick of the Norfair theme and the SR388 tunnel remix is kinda crap.

It's a shame because so far, the soundtrack is the only major problem I have with this game besides some small control issues.

entremet

Calling it now, this is getting a Switch version (60FPS, baby!)

I don't think it will happen anytime soon, though. I'm talking about years. But a great love letter to Metroid fans.

Blizzard

Banned
The game just arrived in the mail. I'm not happy about the Amiibo thing or being forced to use the circle pad, but you know what? Just getting a new side-scrolling Metroid entry in the mail warms a tiny spark in my heart.

So bummed tonight. Went and picked my copy up after work, set up the new samus 3ds XL, started the game and, oh...
My eyes are too tired from work to focus on the tiny screen and my prescription is out of date so my glasses arent strong enough to counter the eye strain.

Until tomorrow after a good nights rest, I guess! Listening to the Samus Archives CD instead.

Been playing it for around 4 hours now. Solidly into area two. My hands hurt like fucking hell, but it's been worth it. What I would give to be able to play this game with a gamecube controller! Nonetheless, sill a great game! Very much loving it so far!

Also, I hope the ZSS art posted above is her new official look. Those proportions and physique are so much more fitting for a character like Samus. Very cool.

Turns out it was something even stupider and more obvious than that. I didn't realize I could grab the one ledge. :|

You'll be alright. When you get stuck, just keep experimenting! That's what these games are about sometimes.

KingBroly

Banned
Why are they so insistent with adding heels to the Zero Suit? I know what I'm saying sounds silly, but it never made sense since the outfits first appearance back in Zero Mission.

At least give her some combat boots.

latest

Yeah, I hate the heels. Always have. Always will. They'll never make it work. At least it's less egregious this time.

Emitan

Boss spoilerish?

Who's idea was it to make some of the Metroids run away to different rooms? Because it got old hours ago. My guess is they wanted to add variety to the fights since there aren't many different types of Metroids. But artificially extending the length of every fight for no reason isn't fun. I'm tired of chasing these things down.

Boss spoilerish?

Who's idea was it to make some of the Metroids run away to different rooms? Because it got old hours ago. My guess is they wanted to add variety to the fights since there aren't many different types of Metroids. But artificially extending the length of every fight for no reason isn't fun. I'm tired of chasing these things down.

I can see it getting annoying, but
most of the time they switch to a room that takes you along a path that has at least one power-up. Also, if you do a good enough job damaging it you can kill it before it moves to another room (there's a Metroid room I entered after I already killed the Metroid; there was nothing there).

As a result, I can see those fights being a nightmare for speedrunners lol.

Emitan

I can see it getting annoying, but
most of the time they switch to a room that takes you along a path that has at least one power-up. Also, if you do a good enough job damaging it you can kill it before it moves to another room (there's a Metroid room I entered after I already killed the Metroid; there was nothing there).

As a result, I can see those fights being a nightmare for speedrunners lol.

One time I got it to dark red so it was probably a missile or two away from death, ran away, and then was less red in the next room. I think they heal :(

Neiteio

Why are they so insistent with adding heels to the Zero Suit? I know what I'm saying sounds silly, but it never made sense since the outfits first appearance back in Zero Mission.

At least give her some combat boots.

latest
The real reason is sex appeal, but the story reason is probably that the heels house shock absorbers that allow her to survive falls from great heights. That, and/or jet thrusters as per Smash 4! But I agree, it's pretty silly.

This game is the real deal. The music and sounds are awesome, the gameplay feels really tight, and the areas are huge and challenging enough. I'm so glad Metroid is back.

I don't get a lot of the complaints about the controls, they're certainly not bad (for me, they're great, and you wouldn't be able to free aim with the d-pad).

AdanVC

Holy shit I was just listening the soundtrack of the game on YT and it's sublime! Nothing else to add, just amazing music sci-fi-ish sounds.

YES! The 3D effect here is awesome, as a bunch of other people have mentioned too. It's bizarre that my favorite 3D implementations on the 3DS have been games that weren't full 3D - Shovel Knight, A Link Between Worlds, etc., and now Metroid.

EDIT: Wow I just realized that the same developer has now worked on both Castlevania and Metroid...bizarre coincidence I guess? Pretty crazy though
OG 3DS user here. The 3D effect works really well in Samus Returns and is one of the better implementations. However, after the first couple of months I rarely used the 3D on the 3DS. It's a great novelty but it takes my eyes a while to adjust and I have to stay in the perfect window to get the 3D effect. So I usually don't use it and when I do only for short intervals.

When the 3DS was announced my first thought was how perfect the effect would work for Top-down Zelda and sidescrolling Metroid. From day 1, I had wanted a new 2D Zelda and 2D Metroid. While I thought they could make a really clever 2.5D Metroid using the 3D effect to help emphasis hidden pathways, morphball tunnels and other secrets. I had given up hope of a new 2D Metroid on the 3DS after 2014; so I'm glad my likely final game on the 3DS will be Samus Returns. Glad to see my two biggest wishes for the 3DS ended up happening.

Apparently Sakamoto knew of their work on Castlevania and heard they were Metroid fans. Due to this info, he travelled to Spain to meet them where they pitched 3D Metroid and then Metroid Fusion. Sakamoto instead offered Metroid 2 Remake which thankfully worked out.
I am not really getting the complaint against the control as I feel that Samus moves so much smoother than she did in Zero mission.

What's wrong with the mole? I think that she looks fine with it.

Yeah speaking as someone who recently replayed Fusion on the 3DS as well as Super Metroid and Zero Mission. The controls for Samus Returns are the best the 2D Metroid series has felt. Unsure how reviewers had issues with the Melee attack. I'd like to see Mercury Steam work on Metroid V for Switch. I'd like to see the Morphball moved to a shoulder or trigger button. Expand a little more on the melee combat. Include a twitch dodge mechanic where if you smash the opposite direction at the right time, when an enemy is attacking you will dodge the attack. Maybe an air dodge/air melee attack as well. On top of moving past the standard Metroid artillery that has been in every single 2D Metroid.

Half the Metroids defeated. This game is really good. I've already had multiple occurances of the classic metroid 'invisible guiding hand' - where you're sure you've found some awesome secret or are heading in the wrong direction but are actually still on the critical path.

Personally, I think the analogue controls and new combat gameplay are both absolute winners. I always thought that shooting things was the weakest part of 2d Metroids, and Super Metroid in particular, but here it's more involved, more precise, more engaging. I really like it. I do wish they could have spiced up the Metroid encounters a bit, but they are what they are, and are obviously far better than what we had in the original.

I think the game is probably too derivative of past Metroids to be considered a classic in the series, but it's a rock-solid return to form, and considering the past decade in the series and the concerns over the developer MecurySteam I think we should all be delighted with what we've gotten here.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this with Metroid. I'll see the obvious path and then find the hidden path thinking I discovered some cool secret. Only to find out that I went exactly where the game wanted me to go.

Also agreed with Samus Returns. I can't say until I complete the game. So far I'd say this is by far the best 2D Metroid. As you said though it is very iterative and is more about mastering design from games that are decades old. Granted that is exactly what the series needed. Hopefully Samus Returns sells well and we can get Metroid V which evolves and expands the formula/gameplay more.

I think this is my favorite Metroid since Prime. I have to give Mercury Steam a lot of credit, I've been very critical of their Castlevania games but they absolutely nailed Metroid.

FiveSide

Banned
Boss spoilerish?

So far the Metroid fights are the weakest part of the game for me, but the melee counter kills them so quickly that they're more of an annoyance than anything else.

It's not really a big deal though since it's the exploration and level design that I care about. Basically the opposite of a lot of other games, where I pretty much autopilot through the levels until I finally get to the boss.

I think this is my favorite Metroid since Prime. I have to give Mercury Steam a lot of credit, I've been very critical of their Castlevania games but they absolutely nailed Metroid.

The most frustrating thing of all is that they clearly had the chops to do a top-tier game in this format, judging by how SR turned out. It makes me wonder what exactly went wrong with their take on Castlevania (specifically Mirror of Fate).

Doorman

Made it a pretty good way through Area 2 so far, I'm I think 2 metroids short of being done there. The atmosphere overall has been pretty great and it seems like there are these little flurries where you'll gain 2-3 new abilities in a row really quickly before things settle back in for a while, which is an interesting pace but I don't mind it really. It hasn't been easy, though, particularly with some of the boss encounters so far. After the first, I'm really, really not looking forward to fighting more betas and beyond. D:

Overall though, this is very much feeling like a return to form so far, and the new abilities and moves fit right in. The only downside to me is that (at least, so far in the game and I'm assuming this isn't exactly covered later)
there doesn't seem to be any real explanation given for what exactly the Aeion abilities are or their origin or how any of it works. It's just "okay here you go you can use this new stuff now. Some sort of secret functions the Chozo built into the power suit? I guess? For continuity's sake it's weird that they've introduced this whole new resource that evidently no longer exists by the time Samus returns to Zebes.

Servbot24

Banned
The real reason is sex appeal, but the story reason is probably that the heels house shock absorbers that allow her to survive falls from great heights. That, and/or jet thrusters as per Smash 4! But I agree, it's pretty silly.
Yeah, heels would be silly for both of those purposes. They're just for the sake of making a stereotypical caricature.

I love Samus' armor design but ZSS has always looked like a go at creating the most generic "sexy sci fi suit lady" design possible.

Top Bottom