• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

entremet

Reckon I'm at the final boss. Will leave it for tomorrow as I'm a bit too tired to enjoy it properly tonight. Second last area has been a visual delight.

I think the game is great, but I do think you can tell the difference in polish between this and a Nintendo first party game.

There are some collision / hit moments that don't have the requisite feedback - something that would typically never get past Nintendo - and the soundtrack is desperately poor for a Metroid game.

But as a 3rd party developer they've done a superb job. I understand it's a bit unfair to hold them to the standards of Nintendo's best and brightest.
I think that’s more due to the 30fps frame rate. A needed compromise with the 3ds hardware. Super, ZM, and Fusion were all 60.

I do love that this game brings back the sense of isolation in the Metroid series.

vall03

Ugh, finally beat this one annoying boss. This is the type of boss that I really really hate the most in games. You spend most of the fight not doing anything since the boss can only be damaged during that one specific opening or sequence. Why the fuck do they even design bosses like this? This is more of a battle of attrition than actual skill. Thank god that was finally over.

FiveSide

Banned
Are there missables?

Because I just got past a part that very much looked like it had missable upgrades.

I think I know exactly what part you're talking about and I was wondering about that earlier. It seemed like you might be able to go back later with certain upgrades, but I'm not sure.

People are already saying they've 100%ed the game though, so either you definitely can go back and get them, or they don't factor into that percentage.

Game is pretty good but I wish we could edit the controls.

I'd rather A be melee and use the d-pad for movement.

YES, if only I could switch free aim to R instead of L. Might sound like a small change, but after dozens of hours of R being free aim in Contra 4, I can't tell you how many times in SR I've reflexively pressed R to free aim and accidentally started running around shooting missiles.

Running around Area 3 right now, got one more Metroid to hunt down in the area.

I got the grapple beam, but I feel like I'm missing out on one upgrade here. Maybe Super Missiles?

Regarding Super Missiles:
Those are Area 4 if I remember correctly. So it's something else.

Anteo

Lmao. I just entered a room and
sudden norfair music appears
, made me laugh really. Had to leave the room for obvious reasons.

aadiboy

Is it just me or does almost every ledge in the game have an enemy waiting for you? It's so annoying to be gripping on an edge and have to wait for an enemy to go away before you can climb up.

Lmao. I just entered a room and
sudden norfair music appears
, made me laugh really. Had to leave the room for obvious reasons.

I know that song originally comes from Super Metroid, but it'll always be Magmoor Cavern for me. I played Prime almost a decade before I played Super.

Is it just me or does almost every ledge in the game have an enemy waiting for you? It's so annoying to be gripping on an edge and have to wait for an enemy to go away before you can climb up.

Yea, there's quite a lot of places where enemy placement is kind of bad

Emitan

Are there missables?

Because I just got past a part that very much looked like it had missable upgrades.

You can go back there if its what I'm thinking of.

Zeta feel a lot easier than Gamma.
Clearly telegraphed attacks in predictable patterns at a fairly slow speed. You also get a ton of shots in from a melee counter cut scene, and the timing for the counter is obvious and it uses the attack with a lot of start up to prepare easily. Versus Gamma, who fly all around in seemingly random patterns, doing different attacks, sometimes fairly quickly.

Maybe it's because you get Super Missiles right before your first encounter?

I absolutely agree.

Just started the game. Never played a Metroid game before. It started a little weird but 1.5 hours in and the game is getting more intense and atmospheric.

I feel Gamma is the hardest type of metroid to deal with since its got the toughest sweet spot and the most amount of attacks it could do instead of its counter animation. You also fight them in really janky room lay outs and they can occasionally escape to other rooms.

Omega and Zeta are a lot easier to deal with since they both leave themselves open to a barrage of super missile punishment even if you can't get the counter down. You don't even have to be good at countering zetas to hit then safely thanks to
the grapple point weakspot

Gamma > Omega > Zeta > Alpha

Omegas would be the hardest but by the time you encounter them you're overly decked out.

Persona7

Banned
I'd love more Nintendo stuff done by Mercury Steam. They just needed Nintendo guiding hand. But this game is so good.

Nintendo's guiding hand didn't really help with Star Fox Zero or Metroid Other M. It can really go any direction in a situation like that.

Nintendo's guiding hand didn't really help with Star Fox Zero or Metroid Other M. It can really go any direction in a situation like that.

Those games had bad vision for a guiding plan, I imagine in alternate reality earth where team ninja and platinum had been free to make Other M and Zero with no over sight both games would have been a lot better.

Toxi

Banned
Just started the game. Never played a Metroid game before. It started a little weird but 1.5 hours in and the game is getting more intense and atmospheric.
Once you beat it, give Super Metroid a try and marvel over how well a game from 1994 stands up.

Just beat
the Power Bomb boss.

Some thoughts:

I think it should have really telegraphed the bomb weakness during the vacuum attack much better, because you can shoot missiles into the vortex but they don't do anything to him while bombs do hurt him because reasons? I think it might be supposed to be telegraphed that it's purple at his center like the weakspots on his arms but that doesn't feel like enough.

Croc

Banned
Gotta say, fighting the (area 6 I think boss spoilers)
digging robot right now and there's a lot of bad decisions with it. I think it's mostly a good fight, but it doesn't telegraph most of its weaknesses so its just dying over and over until you figure something out. And then it does so much damage with some stuff that just trying to figure something out pretty much guarantees you're gonna die. Maybe I'm supposed to have more health now but if I get sucked in by its vacuum while trying to bomb it it takes about half of my health away which seems a bit ridiculous.

Overall though I'm massively impressed with this game. Soooo good.

Just beat the
queen metroid

God damn that was tough, especially since I didn't go back to refill my super missiles to full. Still have no idea how I was supposed to dodge one specific later phase attac
with the green balls out, it fires onto the ceiling and wall setting them aflame then fires onto the ground while wall is still on fire

Tritroid

I feel Gamma is the hardest type of metroid to deal with since its got the toughest sweet spot and the most amount of attacks it could do instead of its counter animation. You also fight them in really janky room lay outs and they can occasionally escape to other rooms.

Omega and Zeta are a lot easier to deal with since they both leave themselves open to a barrage of super missile punishment even if you can't get the counter down. You don't even have to be good at countering zetas to hit then safely thanks to
the grapple point weakspot

Gamma > Omega > Zeta > Alpha

Omegas would be the hardest but by the time you encounter them you're overly decked out.

I always thought this was true in the original Metroid 2, and it's cool that they kept Gammas as the real threatening evolution. As a kid with the original, I can remember not even wanting to enter certain rooms if I knew a Gamma was lurking.

Now there's a fire/lava Gamma version, which feels like it takes forever to kill. Makes them even more menacing.

Out of curiosity, a lot of these areas seem to be visually themed similarly to AM2R - Did the original game have these distinct "Industrial" "Mining" "Hydroelectric" aesthetics like AM2R did (albiet Green and Black), or was that an invention of the two remakes?

Those games had bad vision for a guiding plan, I imagine in alternate reality earth where team ninja and platinum had been free to make Other M and Zero with no over sight both games would have been a lot better.

If Team Ninja had their way, Samus' tits would of been bouncing all over the place when in the Zero Suit, lol.

ChrisD

Just beat the
queen metroid

God damn that was tough, especially since I didn't go back to refill my super missiles to full. Still have no idea how I was supposed to dodge one specific later phase attac
with the green balls out, it fires onto the ceiling and wall setting them aflame then fires onto the ground while wall is still on fire

Roll underneath.
The attack that got me was the wind pushback. I was an idiot though, and immediately after beating the Boss realized the answer was probably Spiderball.

I also finished the game tonight. The final boss was great, but it
retroactively makes Samus look like an idiot in Super Metroid. Ridley CLEARLY wants this thing, he almost kidnapped it right in front of your eyes. So why the HECK did you take it to a laboratory and not stick around for a bit? That seems like such a dumb move.

Also, you should have shot him dead.
And then missiled him dead.
And then Power Bombed him dead.
And then... Idk. Kill him dead dead. Blow 'im to smithereens. Don't just leave when he seems dead.

Yes, I know this would not pass in a Metroid game, nor would it give a rating lower than a M. I'm just speaking from a logic standpoint lol.

The ending, with the X-Parasite, was perfect. That's what happens when you screw with nature and eradicate a whole species! No more natural predators for these things.

My time, according to the stats screen, was 6:53:43. Activity Log says 8:39. I guess the game clock doesn't count cutscenes (and text screens) + deaths + ....menu time? I don't think I spent much time in the menu.

The game was the perfect length for me. Felt like a god in the last two hours or so with the (basically) full arsenal. I tend to play stuff a ton then set it aside for months though, so I lent the gamecard to my Uncle. I see him often enough that, if I'm uncharacteristically dying for a replay, can just ask to play it for a bit. Would force me to not play it through in two play sessions, as well. :p

Guys this is a very important question. Do I open my amiibo boxes or nah?

I'm very torn on this, too. I'm keeping it sealed for now because the cardboard backing is so nice. But...

You gotta squish your Metroid.

I really want to squish my Squishy. ;-;

I could buy a new blade for my Craft Knife and precision cut the box open, best of both worlds lol.

As much as I love (late late late game spoilers)
the Meta Ridley fight theres just one thing I cant seem to wrap my head around. As soon as you bring the baby back to the ship he shows up but without his crew. The space pirates are proven to be one step ahead and with ridley ambushing them had to know SR388 had metroids on it. Why not show up with the space pirates? That ending sequence couldve been much more fleshed out ala Zero Mission

That and now the intro in Super looks dumb now lol. She's explaining things but clearly forgets the part where ridley suddenly shows up and tries to take the metroid. Super remake when?

Emitan

Just beat
the Power Bomb boss.

Some thoughts:

I think it should have really telegraphed the bomb weakness during the vacuum attack much better, because you can shoot missiles into the vortex but they don't do anything to him while bombs do hurt him because reasons? I think it might be supposed to be telegraphed that it's purple at his center like the weakspots on his arms but that doesn't feel like enough.

I figured it out because the fans have been sucking up my bombs the whole game and I wanted revenge.

ghibli99

Played about an hour and a half last night. This is just superb all around. I don't understand the scanner complaint. It's not like it forces you to use it. Just don't use it. For those who want to, more power to 'em. Most of the breakable blocks are very obvious anyway (so far).

I am miffed though that I can't find the Amiibos anywhere. Don't even want them for the in-game content. I just think they're really nicely designed.

1upsuper

Played about an hour and a half last night. This is just superb all around. I don't understand the scanner complaint. It's not like it forces you to use it. Just don't use it. For those who want to, more power to 'em. Most of the breakable blocks are very obvious anyway (so far).

I am miffed though that I can't find the Amiibos anywhere. Don't even want them for the in-game content. I just think they're really nicely designed.

The issue for me is that I accidentally activated the scanner all the time until I got the next power.

Wasn't sure I'd have enough cash to get the game and amiibo so I just preordered the amiibo, went to pick them up and they were sold out of the game -__-

I did get Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon for $12 thanks to GCU though so that was a nice surprise.

Blizzard

Banned
After playing 2+ hours, I like the game overall. BOSS SPOILERS:
The first several metroid things are identical which is kind of boring, but I imagine other bosses may come later.

My circle pad hasn't broken yet. I'm not happy about being forced to use it, but it's tolerable. I do have some control problems though:
  • Free aim plus some abilit(ies) require holding down L for long periods of time while also using the circle pad. This is massively hand cramp inducing and I already had a finger go to sleep even with a giant ergonomic grip on a 3DS XL. I can't really play normal 3DS or 3DS XL without hand cramps / losing feeling due to my massive hands, so I'm forced to use the grip.
  • I don't like touch-menu only controls since I'd prefer to never take my hands off the main controls if possible. It thus annoys me that I have to use the touch screen to change beam modes as far as I can tell.
  • I wish I could toggle the aether abilities off. For quite a while after getting the first one, I kept accidentally hitting A due to my massive hands, typically resulting in my dying to spikes or something as I uselessly started charging the aether ability.

The game doesn't have special names for monsters or characters or bosses thus far, which makes it feel a bit lacking in personality, but this is a minor thing for me.

Positives:
  • The atmosphere is excellent. The feeling of exploration and loneliness is solid.
  • The music is good, fitting the atmosphere.
  • The art is okay, though as with virtually every 3D game I've ever played on the 3DS/3DS XL, I wish it wasn't 3D. I understand that 2D art would probably be too much work and the game might never have been made, however.
  • The Bayonetta counter actually works pretty well once I started learning the audio cue timings. It makes certain enemies less frustrating to kill.

Sadly I have to jump out of the OT again because I'm seeing unmarked spoiler(s). :| Please be nice to us slow players, people.

Red

I've played for a couple of hours, and am pretty confident saying this is the most I've enjoyed 2D Metroid since Super. It's very good. I'm very glad to see the series ease up on guidance after Fusion/Zero Mission.

It sounds great over headphones. Sound design is top notch. Also my favorite use of 3D on 3DS.

Kindekuma

Banned
I've played for a couple of hours, and am pretty confident saying this is the most I've enjoyed 2D Metroid since Super. It's very good. I'm very glad to see the series ease up on guidance after Fusion/Zero Mission.

The fact that the only thing that'll point you in the right direction is when you drop off Metroid DNA at the statue. It's awesome, it's just you and exploration and I love that about this game. MZM had Chozo Statues tell you where to go, and Fusion well, was Adam barking orders at you. Feels great to go back to Super's isolation and open ended exploration.

Red

The fact that the only thing that'll point you in the right direction is when you drop off Metroid DNA at the statue. It's awesome, it's just you and exploration and I love that about this game. MZM had Chozo Statues tell you where to go, and Fusion well, was Adam barking orders at you. Feels great to go back to Super's isolation and open ended exploration.

Yeah, I felt so relieved when I realized how information is doled out. Everything is contingent on player action. Finally. No more forced objectives.

Blizzard

Banned

It sounds great over headphones. Sound design is top notch. Also my favorite use of 3D on 3DS.
I forgot to mention that headphones are indeed good. You can hear where things are pretty clearly.

3D did work okay, but I turn it off to save battery and avoid eyestrain.

Toxi

Banned
How long is this compared to super metroid?
As long or longer. The areas in this game are enormous, and progression is based around both getting power-ups and beating the Metroids, so there's more to do before you can go on.

Out of curiosity, a lot of these areas seem to be visually themed similarly to AM2R - Did the original game have these distinct "Industrial" "Mining" "Hydroelectric" aesthetics like AM2R did (albiet Green and Black), or was that an invention of the two remakes?
Invention as far as I can recall (it's been a while since I've beaten 2).

Nelo Ice

Banned

Yeah I play with headphones and everything just feels so much more immersive. I got a Samus N3DSXL and that I never turn the 3D off now. That super stable 3D was worth the upgrade alone. I love the little things with the 3D turned on like seeing the ice shards fly at you when you kill a frozen enemy.

ZeroX03

Banned
What the hell do you counter from Gamma Metroids? Haven't seen anything I can really knock back. It's all electrified.

I think the game is great, but I do think you can tell the difference in polish between this and a Nintendo first party game.

There are some collision / hit moments that don't have the requisite feedback - something that would typically never get past Nintendo - and the soundtrack is desperately poor for a Metroid game.

But as a 3rd party developer they've done a superb job. I understand it's a bit unfair to hold them to the standards of Nintendo's best and brightest.

Haha yeah, MercurySteam has had some of the most incredible music in the industry in the past. It's not on them.

Kindekuma

Banned
What the hell do you counter from Gamma Metroids? Haven't seen anything I can really knock back. It's all electrified.

Charged ice-beam hit to the underside, then when it lands it'll go to an attack you can counter. There's a wind up time to fake you out, but that's how you do it.

Toxi

Banned
The pacing of power-ups in this game feels a bit wonky.

Area 5 spoilers
You get the Gravity Suit, Plasma Beam, and Screw Attack in about the span of 20 minutes, LOL. Not that I'm complaining.

MrPanic

The issue for me is that I accidentally activated the scanner all the time until I got the next power.

The description specifically addresses that you can cancel the pulse by pressing A again before the scan happens, probably a feature implemented specifically for people that accidentally hit the A button.

6:10:50

Neo Member
I can't remember a Metroid game -- outside of Prime 2, really -- where the feeling of finding an energy tank is such an immense relief. I have 4 right now after having killed
4 of 10 metroids in Area 3
and each one is that much more room to make a mistake or two. While the core suit upgrades are the usual pleasure to obtain (and I love some of the extra functionality for the grapple beam now), I find myself almost equally elated so far to see that familiar little "E" tucked away somewhere.

And strangely, after a heavy stretch of mostly PC and PS4 action, it's nice to be playing a game separated from an achievement system again. The only rewards and incentives for particular kinds of play are the ones I decide upon. I'm sure there's the usual time-based final results screen shenanigans, but for now, it's just me and this expansive interlocking puzzle of a world.

I have a couple little complaints here and there which are more the fault of the 3DS's button layout and structure to begin with, but this is the ultimate just-before-bed game. Hop on, kill a metroid or two, unlock the next elevator or teleport station, and give it a rest til next time.

Top Bottom