• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Yeah this game is the only one I can think of that actively hurts me to play. Not sure if that's more the fault of the game's button mapping, my 3ds, or my hands. Game is still great, just encourages more breaks than I would usually take.

Toxi

Banned
Holy shit this is easily the hardest 2D Metroid.

Also,
activating the Diggernaut really took me by surprise. What a cool, menacing design.

Just got it. I am loving this game so far but can I get rid of the scan pulse? I hit it by accident sometimes and it takes out half the fun of exploring.

13ruce

Banned
Holy shit this is easily the hardest 2D Metroid.
I fear normal enemies in Hard Mode and Fusion Mode, that shit is gonna be hard as fuck. I guess not getting hit is the best strategy lol. Gonna do a AM2R run tommorow first then jump straight into hard mode and fussion mode after that.

tesqui

I'm so glad this is another excellent 2D Metroid. It's so good that I've been pacing it out to last longer. I try to only play around 2 hours a day.

KHlover

Banned
I fear normal enemies in Hard Mode and Fusion Mode, that shit is gonna be hard as fuck. I guess not getting hit is the best strategy lol. Gonna do a AM2R run tommorow first then jump straight into hard mode and fussion mode after that.

Some of those enemies deal 75 damage per hit on normal (That was in Area 3, I bet there'll be even stronger ones later), that made for some tense moments running back to a save station after finishing a Metroid fight with less than 100 Energy. Game doesn't exactly drown you in Energy tanks haha.

Toxi

Banned
I can't even imagine how tough Fusion Mode or low % runs will be.

I'm enjoying the Metroid fights so far. They're better than both the original game's and AM2R's by a long shot. And I like how they added the
fire versions
to give them some variation.

Toxi

Banned
One of my few gripes: I wish the areas had names rather than just being "Area 1, Area 2". They're distinct enough visually that they should be named something more exciting.

Maybe us fans will have to come up with nicknames. :p

Meh too expensive now.
Amazon prices are ridiculous.
Search a bit around, perhaps you can find it cheaper or can import from Japan.
I imported it from AmiAmi back in the day for ~12€ including shipping to Germany.
Some of those enemies deal 75 damage per hit on normal (That was in Area 3, I bet there'll be even stronger ones later), that made for some tense moments running back to a save station after finishing a Metroid fight with less than 100 Energy. Game doesn't exactly drown you in Energy tanks haha.
Game creates a checkpoint before and after the Metroid fights.

Area 5 complete. I think I may have come upon the "infamous" purple spikes expansion, because I have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to do.

Robin64

One of my few gripes: I wish the areas had names rather than just being "Area 1, Area 2". They're distinct enough visually that they should be named something more exciting.

I genuinely thought they would do this. It seemed such an obvious thing to do when remaking the game.

KHlover

Banned
Amazon prices are ridiculous.
Search a bit around, perhaps you can find it cheaper or can import from Japan.
I imported it from AmiAmi back in the day for ~12€ including shipping to Germany.

I know, but if you end the Metroid fight with 30 Energy you're going to have a lot of tense moments unless you're a boring person who grinds for health. A checkpoint doesn't restore your health after all.

JoeInky

It's fitting for a planet that has no intelligent life and just has a designation instead of an actual name.

jwhit28

I played Super, Fusion, and Zero the week before this came out and this game is giving me a much harder time than any of those did. It's not TOO hard but it's difficult. I thought having to stop to do the free aim thing would be annoying but it's so much faster than lining up an 8-way shot that you barely break stride. The free aim automatically using the Grapple Beam when you point at a grapple point is a great idea.

gardfish

Good god, the
Diggernaught
is a cool boss but it goes on for WAY too long and does way too much damage for how long it goes on for. I've gotten to (what I assume) is the final phase like five times now but I keep dying.

Emitan

Good god, the
Diggernaught
is a cool boss but it goes on for WAY too long and does way too much damage for how long it goes on for. I've gotten to (what I assume) is the final phase like five times now but I keep dying.

I'm stuck on it. Its maybe my favorite Metroid boss fight but its super hard.

EDIT: I feel like I'm at the final phase but one of the attacks I have trouble avoiding and it does too much damage.

Semajer

Am I crazy or did some of the enemies use the same sounds as enemies from the previous games? I'm sure I've heard Nightmare and Crocomire sounds from standard enemies, and do the Metroids use the Metroid Prime title screen sounds?

Ridley327

Good god, the
Diggernaught

Yeah, this has been easily the low point of the game for me. Just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to take it down in its final phase since
you only have bombs to be able to damage it at that point. They really needed another way to damage it.

Yeah, this has been easily the low point of the game for me. Just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to take it down in its final phase since
you only have bombs to be able to damage it at that point. They really needed another way to damage it.

His final phase can actually be done really quickly. You need 12 bombs to stun him, which you can do with just one cycle of his suction attack (lay 4 bombs, jump over his suction, repeat). You should only need to do this like twice maximum since you should be able to comfortably lay down at least two bombs on his center core.

FiveSide

Banned

Kind of wish it didn't do this, actually. Takes away a lot of the tension.

For example, in Super Metroid the Ridley fight was one of the most intense boss fights I've ever played, and a big part of that is the tension from realizing how much progress you'll lose if he defeats you. It's a huge trek back down to him.

Here, even if you lose to the boss, you just spawn right outside the door. In a sense it's a QoL improvement, but...idk. Wish there was a way to turn it off.

I played Super, Fusion, and Zero the week before this came out and this game is giving me a much harder time than any of those did.

I agree, this is far and away the hardest 2D game in the series. Not super tough, but definitely harder than the others.

Metroid Prime 2 is still the hardest overall though.

Ridley327

His final phase can actually be done really quickly. You need 12 bombs to stun him, which you can do with just one cycle of his suction attack (lay 4 bombs, jump over his suction, repeat). You should only need to do this like twice maximum since you should be able to comfortably lay down at least two bombs on his center core.

Relatively speaking, I guess?
The laser grid and smash attack cycles are still pretty lengthy, and the window on the core rotation is small enough where it's easy to miss. It really struck me as a boss that needed more tweaking, since the idea behind it is good.

Yeah this game is the only one I can think of that actively hurts me to play. Not sure if that's more the fault of the game's button mapping, my 3ds, or my hands. Game is still great, just encourages more breaks than I would usually take.

Holding L and using the c-stick is the absolute worst -_-

Makes dread having to spider ball.

Sevyne

Relatively speaking, I guess?
The laser grid and smash attack cycles are still pretty lengthy, and the window on the core rotation is small enough where it's easy to miss. It really struck me as a boss that needed more tweaking, since the idea behind it is good.

Slow time when you have to bomb the core if you aren't against using aeon abilities. You can get all 3 hits in 1 rotation.

Emitan

You can spider ball to avoid being sucked up

I'm getting the impression it's not really worth back tracking for power ups until
you have everything including I guess the baby metroid (cause those diamonds that block my path look like the same thing from the original metroid 2) cause there seems to be one of everything blocked in each area

I'm getting the impression it's not really worth back tracking for power ups until
you have everything including I guess the baby metroid (cause those diamonds that block my path look like the same thing from the original metroid 2) cause there seems to be one of everything blocked in each area

That's what I did. Beat the game first normally, and now I'm doing my 100% clean-up.

EDIT: Oh crap, double post. Sorry. :<

Semajer

Yes, but if you want to fill the entire map you need to do it before you reach the last Metroid. (I think.)

I need some help. I've never played a Metroid before (2d or 3d). I'm super interested in the series, so I picked this up today, but I have yet to open it. Is this an okay starting point if I care about the story? Which others are necessary to play before this to follow the story? Which ones aren't necessary to the story? Any help is appreciated!

Astral Dog

I need some help. I've never played a Metroid before (2d or 3d). I'm super interested in the series, so I picked this up today, but I have yet to open it. Is this an okay starting point if I care about the story? Which others are necessary to play before this to follow the story? Which ones aren't necessary to the story? Any help is appreciated!
Its basically a remake of a gameboy game, you will be fine :^)

The only backdrop info you need to know is at the intro

The Wart

It's a story-lite series. The only games that have meaningful plot development during the games themselves are Fusion and Other M. Starting with either of those would be weird but anything else is fair game.

GeekyDad

Varia suit acquired.

weeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :D

Well, I am going slow as fuuuuck, but really enjoying it all the same. It's a series I've always sucked at but always loved nonetheless.

So far, though, there's almost no story, no lore to be discovered. I mean, I kinda like the change from something like Fusion. This is kinda like the Prime games in terms of feeling very isolated, but you don't get the cool story bits from artifacts. Does that change later on?

Top Bottom