• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Stopdoor

I need some help. I've never played a Metroid before (2d or 3d). I'm super interested in the series, so I picked this up today, but I have yet to open it. Is this an okay starting point if I care about the story? Which others are necessary to play before this to follow the story? Which ones aren't necessary to the story? Any help is appreciated!

Yeah, since this is a remake of Metroid II, Zero Mission (the remake of Metroid 1) is the only semi-relevant game to play, but since the story is so light the intro to this game goes over everything you'd need to know.

Jaymageck

One of my few gripes: I wish the areas had names rather than just being "Area 1, Area 2". They're distinct enough visually that they should be named something more exciting.

Maybe us fans will have to come up with nicknames. :p

I feel the same. Brinstar and Norfair would be less interesting if their names were Area 1 and 2.

The game is great so far. I'm liking the free aim. Changes the dynamics of Metroid combat to focus on precision aiming.

I feel the same. Brinstar and Norfair would be less interesting if their names were Area 1 and 2.

The game is great so far. I'm liking the free aim. Changes the dynamics of Metroid combat to focus on precision aiming.

Yeah its odd they didn't update the names for the remake instead sticking with the original game boy names.

Holy Shitballs is this hard after the tutorial. 198 life now and still die with 3-4 hits.
I'm honestly really glad the game is fairly generous with checkpoints because goddamn everything does so much damage and I die so much

Aeon abilities are also a life saver in some situations, especially the armor one

lazyguy

so I got the game and am super excited to play it. Big fan of the series.
Just one thing.
Does the game have any new 3ds features?
I have both a New and regular 3ds but I want to know if I miss out if I play on my regular 3ds.

Is it normal for the scan pulse to not work in Area 2? I charge it up like normal but then it just turns off and nothing happened.

You're probably canceling it by accident, I had that issue for awhile. If you double tap a like the game seems to imply you need to you'll activate and cancel it, but the animation will start like you activated it.

3DShovel

Varia suit acquired.

weeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :D

Well, I am going slow as fuuuuck, but really enjoying it all the same. It's a series I've always sucked at but always loved nonetheless.

So far, though, there's almost no story, no lore to be discovered. I mean, I kinda like the change from something like Fusion. This is kinda like the Prime games in terms of feeling very isolated, but you don't get the cool story bits from artifacts. Does that change later on?

I was a little disappointed with how the Varia suit was
just given in an empty room. I guess I’m used to Super and Fusion where they were behind large bosses.

Toxi

Banned
I love the environmental details in the backgrounds. My favorite example so far was the
giant swimming creatures
in the background of Area 2. I actually jumped the first time I saw one.

Is it normal for the scan pulse to not work in Area 2? I charge it up like normal but then it just turns off and nothing happened.
Did you press the A button again? If you press the A button after activating the Scan Pulse, it cancels.

Did you press the A button again? If you press the A button after activating the Scan Pulse, it cancels.

You're probably canceling it by accident, I had that issue for awhile. If you double tap a like the game seems to imply you need to you'll activate and cancel it, but the animation will start like you activated it.

Did you have enough aeon meter? Alternatively, I think certain actions cancel out of the pulse.

Weird! I could've sworn I was double tapping A earlier to get it to work. Thanks!

Nbz

Are there full maps out there yet? I'm trying to 100% having just finished the game and can't find a place where extra powerups would be in the starting area
please don't tell me there are missables in the gunship area

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Are there full maps out there yet? I'm trying to 100% having just finished the game and can't find a place where extra powerups would be in the starting area
please don't tell me there are missables in the gunship area

Check your map. You get an individual clear percentage for every area when you highlight it, so you can tell which area you are missing stuff from.

Was not caring for the music but then I reached
area 5
. Time to put the headphones on again. Also this is really killing my thumb. Would love to do more playthroughs on harder but I cant take this anymore.

Maengun1

I'm just in the 2nd area but I've reached a point where I'm totally lost. There's some breakable wall or something, somewhere, that I can't find, and I keep going back and forth looking for it.

I never played Other M or Federation Force due to their reputations (and I have an insane eternal backlog anyway, so it's not like I'd never play them, I just didn't ever slot them in).

So it's been 10 years since I've played a new Metroid and I'm so happy to be lost in one right now :')

Sterok

My fingers hurt.
Queen wasn't too bad all things considered, but Riddles was a nightmare. That spread attack is annoying to dodge, and he's got so much damn health. Die already you stupid dragon! Didn't help that even though he was sort of built up, he still feels out of place and seems to be in because it's been 7 years since they last fought and they needed something to add post-Queen ala Zero Mission.

Other than that, really good. 9:53, presumably not counting my many, many deaths. Very meaty for a 2D Metroid, and I'm going to look forward to speedrunners breaking this. Not sure if I can handle hard mode. Samus is indeed back. The Fusion references were appreciated, but I was surprised by all the Prime references. Whatever it takes to bridge the two together.
The ending Fusion teaser was appropriate, but despite my love for that game, I really hope we move beyond it. It's time to Dread something new.

One more small critique I have.
In the original there were no enemies around the Queen. Helped build the mood and give some relief before and after her fight. I would've liked less enemies around her. The atmosphere felt better when the place wasn't swarming with critters.

Berordn

Was not caring for the music but then I reached
area 5
. Time to put the headphones on again. Also this is really killing my thumb. Would love to do more playthroughs on harder but I cant take this anymore.

It's honestly not much to write home about, just nice atmospheric remixes of the chiptune themes.

Then you waltz into a superheated room and Lower Norfair starts blasting and I crank it up to max.

Emitan

(boss spoiler)

I'm at
the Metroid queen
but my hands hurt too much to keep playing. Waiting until my 3DS grip gets here.

Griss

Area 6 boss is absolutely destroying me. Have never died to a single boss this many times in any Metroid game, and that includes the Boost Guardian on Hard Mode in Prime 2.

Stopdoor

Augh guys how do you beat Metroids when you run out of missiles? I'm locked in the room to die, help! The old charge beam method doesn't seem to work?

Emitan

Augh guys how do you beat Metroids when you run out of missiles? I'm locked in the room to die, help! The old charge beam method doesn't seem to work?

If they have that attack where things fall down from the sky you can shoot them for pickups.

I like this game, but I think it'd be more enjoyable if your shots did twice as much damage and the enemies did half as much. Basic bumps cost like half an energy tank and sometimes you just want to get to where you're going.

jb1234

It's honestly not much to write home about, just nice atmospheric remixes of the chiptune themes.

Then you waltz into a superheated room and Lower Norfair starts blasting and I crank it up to max.

Area 5 also has a
Brinstar remix
which got my attention after all the endless ambience.

Anyway, I spent ten minutes trying to bomb jump my way up to a platform and once I got to the top, saw that I could have used the grappling hook instead. And it was just a fucking missile expansion. I was so pissed, haha.

Wanderer5

Heh after dealing with so many Metroids in Area 3, now it is like 1 in the next area.XD

And yeah wow, Area 3 was definitely huge.

Edit: Lol nm, there is more, through still quite less than Area 3.

jwhit28

I like this game, but I think it'd be more enjoyable if your shots did twice as much damage and the enemies did half as much. Basic bumps cost like half an energy tank and sometimes you just want to get to where you're going.

They made it much harder to just run around enemies Dark Souls style. It's faithful to Metroid 2, but also feels like they just want to force you to melee counter.

Toxi

Banned
Shoot the bombs dropped by electric Metroids for more missile pickups or use the Ice Beam.

Kindekuma

Banned
Running around Area 3 right now, got one more Metroid to hunt down in the area.

I got the grapple beam, but I feel like I'm missing out on one upgrade here. Maybe Super Missiles?

Griss

Reckon I'm at the final boss. Will leave it for tomorrow as I'm a bit too tired to enjoy it properly tonight. Second last area has been a visual delight.

I'd love more Nintendo stuff done by Mercury Steam. They just needed Nintendo guiding hand. But this game is so good.

I think the game is great, but I do think you can tell the difference in polish between this and a Nintendo first party game.

There are some collision / hit moments that don't have the requisite feedback - something that would typically never get past Nintendo - and the soundtrack is desperately poor for a Metroid game.

But as a 3rd party developer they've done a superb job. I understand it's a bit unfair to hold them to the standards of Nintendo's best and brightest.

Zeta feel a lot easier than Gamma.
Clearly telegraphed attacks in predictable patterns at a fairly slow speed. You also get a ton of shots in from a melee counter cut scene, and the timing for the counter is obvious and it uses the attack with a lot of start up to prepare easily. Versus Gamma, who fly all around in seemingly random patterns, doing different attacks, sometimes fairly quickly.

Maybe it's because you get Super Missiles right before your first encounter?

Top Bottom