• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I don't like how hard the game is and thus making the Vira suit upgrade to be pointless as Samus still take a lot of damage.

I also don't like how the save point Health/Missile restore point are far apart from each other and in some case hidden.

Zero Mission was miles easier than this and I played that on normal difficulty.

Question for anyone that's beaten the game 100%. I just got the
Power Bombs
and I think I'm in Area 7 now. Along the way I've been seeing a bunch of crystal like formations that are blocking access to several items, and they look an awful lot like the
invincible crystals from the original Metroid 2 that the hatchling eats to clear your path back to your gunship.
Samus seems pretty fully decked out at this point, I think I have every power-up and Aeon ability now, yet I still haven't figured out how to get rid of them. In a simple yes or no, can someone tell me if I'm currently able to do so with my current equipment and abilities?

You're on the right track with your original thinking.

LOL, yeah that's what I said. So any assistance on where I need to look for that? Plz spoiler tag obviously.
The Spring Ball is not marked on the map like other main upgrades are. There's an entrance at the top of the main structure in Area 2 that leads to where you need to go.

Kadin

The Spring Ball is not marked on the map like other main upgrades are. There's an entrance at the top of the main structure in Area 2 that leads to where you need to go.
Yup, that's exactly where I went to look. Amazing how you can miss something like that when looking at the map. I apparently was there but didn't continue down the long corridor. smh

Thanks!

Astral Dog

Having beat the game 100% in
11:05:00
I can say that the game was definitely made on a tight budget. There's just a lot of things that point to that, including the low number of enemy encounters, the sound effects (A LOT) being ripped from other Metroid games. They definitely put a lot of care into the visual design and gameplay, but other areas not so much.

I think if they had another 6-8 months, you could throw in a few more enemies and change up some sound effects to make it more original. I'd say it's an 8.5/10, but there are clear moments of disappointment.
You can see this since the reveal trailer unfortunately, i hope it sells well to justify a higher budget sequel

Yeah, I've been playing Metroid Prime in dolphin these last few days and I've noticed a fair amount of sounds that are just pulled straight from that game (like the key item collect jingle). not that I'm complaining game's dope

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
This game is effing hard! Still stuck on the second metroid after two hours. Amazing game so far though. Nintendo nailed the feeling, albeit with frustrating controls.

13ruce

Banned
Having beat the game 100% in
11:05:00
I can say that the game was definitely made on a tight budget. There's just a lot of things that point to that, including the low number of enemy encounters, the sound effects (A LOT) being ripped from other Metroid games. They definitely put a lot of care into the visual design and gameplay, but other areas not so much.

I think if they had another 6-8 months, you could throw in a few more enemies and change up some sound effects to make it more original. I'd say it's an 8.5/10, but there are clear moments of disappointment.

It has around the same amount of enemies as Zelda Breath of the Wild maybe a few more lol so i did not really mind it game feels pretty gud. Also like how it's the biggest map out of em all. And i love Prime so those sound effects were at home in my case. My rating is a 10/10. AM2R is a 9/10 played that again today but i give it to SR the gameplay is more fun and i just loved it.

AM2R Metroid battles are why i don't give it a perfect score because they are boring and i hate how it keeps the same soundtrack for all of them.

Honestly both remakes tell the story/gameplay etc of Metroid 2 very well.

TheMoon

This game is effing hard! Still stuck on the second metroid after two hours. Amazing game so far though. Nintendo nailed the feeling, albeit with frustrating controls.

the second one?! oO

have you tried shooting it :D

the melee counter works on everything, btw...

Just beat it, 8 hours, 22 minutes, 72 percent.

Meta Ridley caught me by surprise, I was expecting a twist at the end but Ridley himself being the final boss wasn't something I anticipated. First time he's been the final boss proper of a Metroid game. I did like that it was basically a no holds barred beatdown fight compared to the trickier weakspot manipulation of the Queen Metroid. They come in such quick succession that the differences are appreciated.

I haven't gone back to search for stuff with the Metroid, but I wasn't really fond of them using the Metroid as an item gate for so many expansions, I've never really cared for 100% completion being locked to end game area sweeping like it had been in Fusion, Zero Mission, and Other M, but I guess I expected it here.

Overall it's a very good solid Metroid title. I will repeat some of the criticism for the music and enemy variety, but a very strong showing from MercurySteam and a good return to form for the series as a whole, a shot in the arm for a franchise that needed it badly.

Fwiw there are only 4-5 items
the metroid
is needed for. The rest you can get with power bombs.

Finished the game (100%) last night, took me a little over 14 hours due to getting stuck a few times and wasting a lot of time aimlessly wandering. It's a solid 2D Metroid, and I really love how it took so much design inspiration from the Prime series. The environments are huge.

The controls seriously cramped my hands, though. Especially during some of the late-game bosses.

I'd give it about an 8.5/10. Wish it made use of the New 3DS' extra buttons, and 30fps is a bit of a bummer, but oh well, I got over that in the first 30 minutes. Bring on Prime 4!

Fwiw there are only 4-5 items
the metroid
is needed for. The rest you can get with power bombs.
Yeah, Zero Mission only had a few that required the Power Bomb as well, but I generally don't care for the placement of a requisite upgrade so close to the end of the game. I preferred Super and Prime's solution of having the final upgrade a good distance from the end allowing you to sweep through on your way to the end instead of having to go to the end and then backtrack all the way out. Granted Samus Returns' backtracking is considerably less painful than Zero Mission's thanks to the teleport stations. Getting 100% in Zero Mission is just a chore.

Damn it I think one of the missile powerups are bugged.

I can't one in Area 5 to load and the map says I still didn't pick it up. I checked video walkthroughs as well but where it's supposed to be is just empty.

Well: at 23 down and 17 remaining, it looks like I may not be able to continue for reasons outside my control.

All the way through the game I was anxiously aware of how much stress it was putting on the Circle Pad, and wished it were sanely designed around the D-pad instead, and now it's happened: the thing's just jammed. At any point there's a direction (not always the same direction) that is stuck and simply unavailable to me.

I'd actually just repaired my Circle Pad to play this game (previously, the upper pad broke off the stick), but this game has put the Circle Pad under so much stress, the likes of which I haven't seen since SM3DL and SSB4, that I think a part of the inner ring that braces the rubber nub broke off and jammed the mechanism underneath.

I guess I could take my 3DS apart to fish out whatever stray shard of plastic is jamming the works (and eventually, just buy and install a Circle Pad replacement), but I'm always a bit paranoid about taking apart electronics. Don't want to send this into Nintendo for repair, as it's a limited edition 3DS XL and I hear they don't always return you a unit with the same case.

Anyway: had a blast with this game while it lasted, with my main complaint being the controls. I seriously wish this had been made for the Wii U. I'm all for the analogue free-aiming system as a concept but the 3DS just isn't built to handle it (as I already knew in the past from movement-intensive games like 3DL, Kid Icarus, and Luigi's Mansion), and a precision side-scroller for it really should have stuck with the D-pad. Lots more to say later depending on whether I get this issue resolved and am able to finish it up.

Yeah, Zero Mission only had a few that required the Power Bomb as well, but I generally don't care for the placement of a requisite upgrade so close to the end of the game. I preferred Super and Prime's solution of having the final upgrade a good distance from the end allowing you to sweep through on your way to the end instead of having to go to the end and then backtrack all the way out. Granted Samus Returns' backtracking is considerably less painful than Zero Mission's thanks to the teleport stations. Getting 100% in Zero Mission is just a chore.

Zero mission was the worst, you get power bombs and 2 rooms later you were at the final boss.

KingBroly

Banned
It has around the same amount of enemies as Zelda Breath of the Wild maybe a few more lol so i did not really mind it game feels pretty gud. Also like how it's the biggest map out of em all. And i love Prime so those sound effects were at home in my case. My rating is a 10/10. AM2R is a 9/10 played that again today but i give it to SR the gameplay is more fun and i just loved it.

AM2R Metroid battles are why i don't give it a perfect score because they are boring and i hate how it keeps the same soundtrack for all of them.

Honestly both remakes tell the story/gameplay etc of Metroid 2 very well.

AMSR's weakest aspect to me are the Metroid fights. They're just so tedious. The weak points are super small and they're all really samey. The Metroid fights here are at least somewhat varied. I also thought all of the original content in AM2R was simply not good and really made it felt like a poor man's bullet hell. There are definitely aspect's to this game's combat that I don't understand yet,
but like action game bosses, they really felt like 'these are the things you need to know to master this game.'

Exploration wise,
I wish there was a bit easier time trying to navigate A to B or A to C than the Teleport Stations. Maybe it comes down to how Metroid 2 was designed. AM2R sort of had this problem as well, BUT I felt like because the world of SR was so much bigger, it magnified the problem.

Still a very enjoyable game, but if it got a few more months to polish some things up and add 1 or 2 things, it could've been that much better. Maybe they simply didn't want to give Sakamoto that much time/money considering how Other M turned out.

goldenpp72

I am nearing the end I imagine with 6 metroids to find, is there anything I should know like points of no return and such for someone who wants to eventually get 100 percent?

AMSR's weakest aspect to me are the Metroid fights. They're just so tedious. The weak points are super small and they're all really samey. The Metroid fights here are at least somewhat varied. I also thought all of the original content in AM2R was simply not good and really made it felt like a poor man's bullet hell. There are definitely aspect's to this game's combat that I don't understand yet,
but like action game bosses, they really felt like 'these are the things you need to know to master this game.'

Exploration wise,
I wish there was a bit easier time trying to navigate A to B or A to C than the Teleport Stations. Maybe it comes down to how Metroid 2 was designed. AM2R sort of had this problem as well, BUT I felt like because the world of SR was so much bigger, it magnified the problem.

Still a very enjoyable game, but if it got a few more months to polish some things up and add 1 or 2 things, it could've been that much better. Maybe they simply didn't want to give Sakamoto that much time/money considering how Other M turned out.

I really disagree with the fights being tedious, maybe if you don't know the tricks and such, but I really enjoyed the fights in this versus the original and AM2R. Being able to use the grappling beam on the big ones, the usage of the ice beam and the parry, etc, all made for some good fights, and just as you start becoming overpowered for the lesser variants a new one appears to cause problems. The combat in those fights is likely why i'd put it near the best Metroid of all time, very well done compared to prior games.

I am nearing the end I imagine with 6 metroids to find, is there anything I should know like points of no return and such for someone who wants to eventually get 100 percent?

I really disagree with the fights being tedious, maybe if you don't know the tricks and such, but I really enjoyed the fights in this versus the original and AM2R. Being able to use the grappling beam on the big ones, the usage of the ice beam and the parry, etc, all made for some good fights, and just as you start becoming overpowered for the lesser variants a new one appears to cause problems. The combat in those fights is likely why i'd put it near the best Metroid of all time, very well done compared to prior games.

He was talking about AMR2 not Samus Returns (he made a mistake putting and S instead of a 2 in AMR)
He says he found the ones in Samus Returns more varied.

KingBroly

Banned

I said the fights in AM2R were tedious. The fights in this one are a lot better. That's most likely where they spent a lot of their focus

GeekyDad

Fought my first gamma. Thing kicked my ass quite a few times before I figured out how to approach that fight. Good shit!

So I love some of the small details on this game. Like the way the save station lights flash and flicker. And the way some of the doors spit out sparks when opened. Definitely some great atmosphere.

One thing I wish they did was take advantage of the n3ds extra buttons and let you map the ball to RZ or something. Would help with the cramps.

Cpt Lmao

I've been playing this game all day and I'm in Area 5. I'd completely forgotten the sense of invincibility these games give you later on, Jesus Christ it's incredible.

EDIT — JUST TOOK DOWN A GAMMA IN EIGHT SECONDS, I AM THE GREATEST WARRIOR TO HAVE EVER LIVED

Narroo

This game just puts into perspective how much I don't like Super Metroid. Super Metroid has the worst-feeling jump ever, killing all your forward momentum, but in Samus Returns the jump (and everything else) feels so good. By default that makes this the most enjoyable Metroid.

Hm, that makes me nervous. I love Super Metroid and I like how the jumps work. It felt good to master her movement.

Opa-Pa

Hm, that makes me nervous. I love Super Metroid and I like how the jumps work. It felt good to master her movement.

I love the movement in Super too and I'm enjoying it in this game a lot as well, don't worry. This is more akin to the GBA games as its and evolution of those in a sense.

Egida

Neo Member
Well, got the super duper beam, gravity suit and screw attack. I'm going to take my time and look for missing upgrades before getting to the last metroids.

It's may sound weird, but I'm getting Metroid Prime vibes from this game. Maybe the music, but also the aiming and 3Dish scenery. Anyway, it feels so good playing this.

I love, love the game, but I'm not a fan of the reuse of music from Metroid Prime.
Oh man, I didn't know about the Prime music and it was such a nice surprise IMO.

It's heartening to see a Sakamoto-produced Metroid title finally acknowledge the Prime Trilogy and even seamlessly integrate it into the canon of the 2D titles (IIRC, he always regarded the Prime Trilogy as distinct from the other titles in the series before). There's a very "Primey" feel to the game with some sound effects and music taken straight from the Retro-developed titles and the environmental design (stuff like the Chozo architecture) also being clearly indebted to the Prime Trilogy.

The game almost seems like Sakamoto's way of acknowledging how wrong he was with the story-heavy approach he chose with Fusion (which was still pretty great) and Other M (which was an abomination) and how Retro managed to do the series far more justice than he did after Super Metroid.

Seems like a good omen for Prime 4.

It's heartening to see a Sakamoto-produced Metroid title finally acknowledge the Prime Trilogy and even seamlessly integrate it into the canon of the 2D titles (IIRC, he always regarded the Prime Trilogy as distinct from the other titles in the series before). There's a very "Primey" feel to the game with some sound effects and music taken straight from the Retro-developed titles and the environmental design (stuff like the Chozo architecture) also being clearly indebted to the Prime Trilogy.

The game almost seems like Sakamoto's way of acknowledging how wrong he was with the story-heavy approach he chose with Fusion (which was still pretty great) and Other M (which was an abomination) and how Retro managed to do the series far more justice than he did after Super Metroid.

I wouldn't go that far.

Wanderer5

So I am in area 6 and dealing with the
drill bot, which the last phase is really frustrating. That attack where he is smashing his arms to the ground is a huge pain, and the timing with the cores and the head switching to electrifying mode feels kind of ridiculously short. Trying to mess around with slowing down time.

That kind of stuff was in Zero Mission, too. (Chozodia for example)

Toxi

Banned
Trying to go for 100% before I face the final boss. The Chozo Memories are a neat idea, but the horrible resolution of the 3DS does them a disservice. Wish I could see them in high resolution.

Top Bottom