• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

lovelyperson

Neo Member
So since a lot of people in this thread are talking about how hard the game is on normal/hard, how bad is Fusion Mode for those who have played it?

I've been wanting to jump in and start on fusion mode immediately, but now I'm rethinking it because "what if it's too hard for the first go".

All done!

100%, 10:52:38

Now I understand what the big spoiler thread was for: that 100% bonus is reaaaalllly interesting. ENDING SPOILERS:
I am already way more excited at the prospect of an evil Chozo faction than I ever was of "the Federation are actually bad guys" or Sylux that they keep trying to ram down our throats. Hopefully they will pay off that concept!

And I have to say that FINAL BOSS SPOILERS:
I am so goddamn happy that Prime is totally canonized now with that Meta Ridley fight. And it absolutely is Meta Ridley, he's got cyborg implants and is a great bridge between Prime and Super. And it uses a remix of the Meta Ridley theme, with its additional flair to the normal Ridley theme. Zero Mission was released after Prime and Yamamoto used the standard Ridley theme, but Prime, Prime 3, and Samus Returns now use the Meta theme. Canon, bitches.

Coming from someone who is an enormous fan of the original Metroid 2, this is a wonderful remake. It, the original, and AM2R are very different games. And I think each of them have moments where they are the best of the bunch. But as a whole, I think Samus Returns is the best telling of this tale.

I'll give some more thoughts later. A very, very good Metroid game: we've been waiting a long time for this.
On the final boss
I think he's less meta ridley and more a transition from Meta-Ridley back to organic Ridley in Super, hence the slightly different name

Are there any newcomers to Metroid, or even specifically 2D Metroid, that are really enjoying this game? I've tried fleetingly to get into Fusion and Super in the past, but the genre as a whole has never clicked for me. I intend to play through Super Metroid when my SNES Classic arrives soon but regardless of whether that comes to fruition would this game still come recommended?

For reference I really like Prime and Prime 3, Prime 2 I only played a 1/3rd of a long time ago I should maybe think about that. I also really enjoyed the gameplay at least of That Wii Game That Shall Not Be Named. As far as I can put my finger on, I dislike wandering through the same areas again and again mainly just to get upgrades that just allow for more places to be unlocked to get more upgrades and so on as a basic structure, I'd like to see more payoff in terms of plot in order to keep my interest. I think it speaks volumes as to how good Prime 1 is that I found it near unputdownable despite it having the same Metroidvania structure that has never clicked with me.

What say you GAF? A good entry point to 2D Metroid, for me specifically?

I've never played a Metroid before and I'm loving this. However, be prepared for a challenge. I do plan to delve into the rest of the series after finishing this one.

rekameohs

Banned
So since a lot of people in this thread are talking about how hard the game is on normal/hard, how bad is Fusion Mode for those who have played it?

I've been wanting to jump in and start on fusion mode immediately, but now I'm rethinking it because "what if it's too hard for the first go".
This game is brutal. Normal is perfectly good on a first playthrough. I think it's the only option, too.

Haven't played fusion mode, but for reference on normal mode some normal late game enemies can do over a full tank of damage I think, and the final boss has a move that can do like 2-3 full tanks (maybe even more I can't remember fully) and is very tricky to avoid

Are there any newcomers to Metroid, or even specifically 2D Metroid, that are really enjoying this game? I've tried fleetingly to get into Fusion and Super in the past, but the genre as a whole has never clicked for me. I intend to play through Super Metroid when my SNES Classic arrives soon but regardless of whether that comes to fruition would this game still come recommended?

For reference I really like Prime and Prime 3, Prime 2 I only played a 1/3rd of a long time ago I should maybe think about that. I also really enjoyed the gameplay at least of That Wii Game That Shall Not Be Named. As far as I can put my finger on, I dislike wandering through the same areas again and again mainly just to get upgrades that just allow for more places to be unlocked to get more upgrades and so on as a basic structure, I'd like to see more payoff in terms of plot in order to keep my interest. I think it speaks volumes as to how good Prime 1 is that I found it near unputdownable despite it having the same Metroidvania structure that has never clicked with me.

For backtracking, you don't really go back and forth between different areas in this game; it's a pretty linear progression of finish one area, go on to the next, and then you only have to go back for optional small upgrades you may have missed or been unable to get to (missiles/energy/Aeion energy).

Within each area, there is still a good bit of exploration, and going back and forth between different sections as you get new abilities that allow you to traverse them, but it's more like you go through one section, get a new power, finish it, then go to a different section with your new power. It's not retreading a lot of ground. More similar to Corruption's style of progression than Prime's.

The combat and gameplay is faster-paced, more along the lines of Other M and Corruption, so you might like that more, but there is very little story in this game. It's pretty much just the concept of "go kill the Metroids on this planet," and that's it the whole game, so I don't know if you would love that.

I do think there are a lot of little gameplay features and smart design that make it work well for new players to keep them engaged and with an objective to work to, so I think it serves well as an accessible first title there. Having played all the 2D Metroid games, I would certainly recommend this as the one to start with.

EDIT: I should say that this game is challenging, though. It is better than other 2D Metroid games by offering checkpoints before and after boss fights, but it is tough; enemies deal a lot of damage, and the boss fights towards the end required some work and planning from me. They're fun fights though, and fair to fight with telegraphed attacks that are just a matter of being able to respond to quickly and skillfully enough. Some fights also have non-obvious ways of dealing with certain attacks that can make it easier if you realize it's an option.

rekameohs

Banned
On the final boss
I think he's less meta ridley and more a transition from Meta-Ridley back to organic Ridley in Super, hence the slightly different name
Final boss spoiler again:
Well, the name's not important. He was called "Omega Ridley" in Prime 3. Point is, it's clear what they're doing with his appearance here as an in-between of Prime and Super.

For backtracking, you don't really go back and forth between different areas in this game; it's a pretty linear progression of finish one area, go on to the next, and then you only have to go back for optional small upgrades you may have missed or been unable to get to (missiles/energy/Aeion energy).

Within each area, there is still a good bit of exploration, and going back and forth between different sections as you get new abilities that allow you to traverse them, but it's more like you go through one section, get a new power, finish it, then go to a different section with your new power. It's not retreading a lot of ground. More similar to Corruption's style of progression than Prime's.

The combat and gameplay is faster-paced, more along the lines of Other M and Corruption, so you might like that more, but there is very little story in this game. It's pretty much just the concept of "go kill the Metroids on this planet," and that's it the whole game, so I don't know if you would love that.

I do think there are a lot of little gameplay features and smart design that make it work well for new players to keep them engaged and with an objective to work to, so I think it serves well as an accessible first title there. Having played all the 2D Metroid games, I would certainly recommend this as the one to start with.
I mean, the only real major story bits are the chozo memories you get after beating the game, and they won't mean much if you're not already familiar with the lore

lovelyperson

Neo Member
This game is brutal. Normal is perfectly good on a first playthrough. I think it's the only option, too.

Iirc the amiibo lets you play Fusion mode before you even start the game, which is apparently the hardest difficulty the game has.

So I guess I'll start on normal, nobody wants to deal with enemies that take a full tank of health in the beginning.

Thanks guys.

rucury

Banned
Chugging through Area 2 now. I gotta say, this game is really fun. I went in with low expectations and am having a blast. I don't find it hard at all. The checkpoint system is generous. Usually in Metroid type games, the difficulty for me comes from getting lost. With the map ping thing, this game goes a long way to address that annoyance.

Very late game question:

Is there some kind of extended grappling hook you get later or do I just not know how to solve some of these puzzles

I've beaten Queen Metroid and have the baby Metroid with me already

Spidersparking. Some puzzles need it. Go in spider form and use power bombs. The effect is similar to shinesparking

Verilligo

Very late game question:

Is there some kind of extended grappling hook you get later or do I just not know how to solve some of these puzzles

I've beaten Queen Metroid and have the baby Metroid with me already

I'm assuming you're trying to get at power-ups across layers of spikes too close together to actually fit through except as a ball. In which case you have to use a technique, rather than an item. To be more specific, you must
attach to a wall with spider ball and set a power bomb while still holding on. When the bomb goes off, you'll shinespark in the mother of all bomb jumps.

Iirc the amiibo lets you play Fusion mode before you even start the game, which is apparently the hardest difficulty the game has.

So I guess I'll start on normal, nobody wants to deal with enemies that take a full tank of health in the beginning.

Thanks guys.
I'm pretty sure I heard the amiibo only unlocks fusion mode after you beat the game, like a bunch of the other amiibo features which are also second game only

1upsuper

If you're serious about needing some story bits to keep you going, this is not going to satisfy you. It's all about the gameplay here.

So about the final boss
ffs Sakurai make Ridley playable in smash bros. Jeebus dude has literally been a boss in every canon metroid game at this point. Dude puts in so much overtime it's insane he makes bowser look lazy. Dude came back as a robot, a cyborg, a clone, and an x parasite just to kill Samus

I'm playing it on Fusion for my first run through.

It's incredibly brutal. It's certainly doable, and very fun this way, but I wouldn't even try it for your first playthrough unless you've got the Amiibo for Reserve stuff (or use a save file that's already got that shit unlocked)

So about the final boss
ffs Sakurai make Ridley playable in smash bros. Jeebus dude has literally been a boss in every canon metroid game at this point. Dude puts in so much overtime it's insane he makes bowser look lazy. Dude came back as a robot, a cyborg, a clone, and an x parasite just to kill Samus
He's not in Prime 2

mrkgoo

I'm playing it on Fusion for my first run through.

It's incredibly brutal. It's certainly doable, and very fun this way, but I wouldn't even try it for your first playthrough unless you've got the Amiibo for Reserve stuff (or use a save file that's already got that shit unlocked)

Are the amiibo stuff exclusive to those amigo, or can you unlock it without them?

Are the amiibo stuff exclusive to those amigo, or can you unlock it without them?

The amiibo content are exclusive to the amiibo

You miss out on

Fusion Mode : 4x the damage of the regular game (2x the unlockable hard mode)
Metroid 2 art gallery
Energy, missile, and aeon reserve tanks
The ability for the game to mark undiscovered metroid on the map
Another art gallery

Can I unlock Fusion Mode by using the Metroid amiibo in the main menu, or does it have to be in-game?

After beating the game start a new game on your clear file and scan the metroid amiibo to start fusion mode

Scanning the amiibo in game just reveals where metroid you haven't found are

Cindro

Late game question about a potential point of no return for 100%ing:

Does defeating Ridley trigger the credits? If so, I'm going to go back and 100%
it before taking him on.

And there are no missables up until this point, right?

Late game question about a potential point of no return for 100%ing:

Does defeating Ridley trigger the credits? If so, I'm going to go back and 100%
it before taking him on.

And there are no missables up until this point, right?

You can continue, game loads your last save before you took on the final boss. The only thing that changes is
you can't go back to samus' ship without triggering the final boss, so if you care about filling the map you can't do that anymore. The map doesn't count towards an 100% file though

Cindro

You can continue, game loads your last save before you took on the final boss. The only thing that changes is
you can't go back to samus' ship without triggering the final boss, so if you care about filling the map you can't do that anymore. The map doesn't count towards an 100% file though
Awesome, thank you!

forrest

formerly nacire
Took this with me camping this weekend, and man oh man have I missed Metroid. Really enjoying the overall experience so far with the exception of having to play it on the 3ds. Numb fingers and cramps hands be damned though, I'm really glad to be back in Samus' boots exploring and hunting metroids.

The game is a looker and as a fan of the stereoscopic effect on 3ds, I'm happy this turned out so well. It's replaced A Link Between Worlds as my favorite example of the effect.

Also, while I really love the immediacy and physicality of the melee counter, it can wear a bit old at times.

As a fan of the first Lords of Shadow, I'm glad to see that Mercury Steam was up to the task with this game's development. It turned out great imo!

Toxi

Banned
I needed to know this too. Awesome.

My situation is very similar to yours. Mainly a fan of Prime 1 and 3, never really been able to get into the 2D Metroids.

But this game clicked with me instantly and I love it to bits. The pacing is just perfect. You're always getting stronger. Always moving forward. Always finding secrets. It's hard to put down because you know that next Metroid is just around the corner.

1upsuper

My friend has been nagging me to give the Prime series another chance, since I could never get into it. Now that I'm in the Metroid mood again I think I'll give Prime 1 another shot.

Just beat it, man that final boss, i knew it was coming but is great to know
sakamoto finaly canonizing into the main series the prime games, also lovely interaction of the baby metroid and samus during the last parts of the game, and the spaceship menu. You really understand kmow how she cares for it with out saying a word
Also that ending
with the x parasite is interesting, I dont know if they are trying to rope everything together (no more metroids make parasite x appear) or they really are hinting the next game is a fusion remake, like the plan was for mercury steam before doing 2

sfried

Beta(?) Metroid
is kicking my ass. What really throws me off is its
bounce attacks that require some impecable jumping to avoid damage. I already have the Lightning Shield but that damage per hit completely drains me of Aeion

ZeroD

I can't find this anywhere! It's sold out everywhere here. I don't know if that's a sign it's doing well here in Japan or if they barely shipped any copies.

Dying to play it

The thing that kind of rubs me the wrong way about this game's ending is that
it kinda disregards Metroid 2's peaceful epilogue in favor of a more action packed romp.

Metroid 2 was unique in that it didn't end with an explosive countdown but rather a earnest, peaceful trek through the caverns of SR388 back to Samus' gunship on the surface, which is a nice and relaxing change of pace and tone after fighting off all this horrible shit in the planet. AM2R follows this, but Samus Returns kinda throws that out the window by having a whole slew of enemies to fight along the way and of course having Ridley at the end waiting for you, all while the sky in the background becomes really dark and grim as you approach the gunship. Watching the ridiculous cutscenes of the baby Metroid jumping into battle against Ridley made me think "Remember when this was just a nice, quiet trip back to the ship? Jeez..."

Still a great game overall though, but that kinda bothered me as someone who played through Metroid 2 and AM2R.

Toxi

Banned
Beta(?) Metroid
is kicking my ass. What really throws me off is its
bounce attacks that require some impecable jumping to avoid damage. I already have the Lightning Shield but that damage per hit completely drains me of Aeion
If you mean the
Gamma Metroid, the 2nd of the main Metroid forms you face,
, you can force it to do a counterable attack by
freezing the underside with a charged ice beam.

Man, the game is really good and all, but they should had added a temporary quick save. I was almost out of battery and didn't see any close save stations in area 3. I took a quick teleporter to area 2 since it had one close to the teleporter there.

Oidisco

So I think this game is amazing but I think but I think missed a huge opportunity. Some people might not think it's a big deal but having finished it, it retro-actively kinda pissed me off!

Why the fuck did they tease all those huge creatures in the background and then not make you fight them? I was certain they'd a boss fight at some point. It's especially disappointing considering how great all the bosses are.

Oh well, still a wonderful game!

Croc

Banned
Spidersparking. Some puzzles need it. Go in spider form and use power bombs. The effect is similar to shinesparking

I'm assuming you're trying to get at power-ups across layers of spikes too close together to actually fit through except as a ball. In which case you have to use a technique, rather than an item. To be more specific, you must
attach to a wall with spider ball and set a power bomb while still holding on. When the bomb goes off, you'll shinespark in the mother of all bomb jumps.

Ahhhhh yep, this was it. Do they ever even tell you you can do this?

Funny thought: Samus's interactions with
THE BABY
in this game makes
her relationship with it in Other M more believable. This game actually retroactively improves Other M just a tad.

So I think this game is amazing but I think but I think missed a huge opportunity. Some people might not think it's a big deal but having finished it, it retro-actively kinda pissed me off!

Why the fuck did they tease all those huge creatures in the background and then not make you fight them? I was certain they'd a boss fight at some point. It's especially disappointing considering how great all the bosses are.

Oh well, still a wonderful game!

Samus doesn't go out of her way to harm wildlife unless they threaten her.

Heck, she didn't even shoot at the Diggernaut at her first encounter with it because all it did was walk away.

Beat the Game.

Final Thoughts.

Controls/Movement

ZM=MF>SM>SR

Worst of them because no speedbooster and 30fps. Some improvements in comparison to SM, but lacks the map design to back it up leaving Samus to feel tankish.

Combat

MF>=SR>SM>ZR

This game had some very good boss fights and the counter mechanic is enjoyable and helps to spice up the early parts of the game, when combat is usually the most dull in other games. I'm not sure if it matches up the MF's SA-X sequences nor the memorable combat scenes but it's up there.

Map Design

SM>>ZM>MF>>SR

Yeah the map design in this game is the worst by far. That doesn't make it bad map design by any means but it is incredibly bloated the the nessesity of the teleport stations speaks volumes about how difficult it is to create a map like SM's with all the Metroid boss fights. Scan Pulse really is a godsend in this game because without it the experience would have been completely soured. Spiderball is the worst.

World building/Atmosphere

MF>>>>>>>>>SM>SR>ZM

Nothing can beat Fusion's raw discomfort. One of the bigger complaints is the color scheme in this game really lacks the sort of conveyance of setting that's done so prominently in Fusion. Fusions's background sprites really sell the idea in a way that none of the other games have yet to match.

Overall I think this is the worst modern 2D Metroid game. That doesn't make it a bad game, hell I think the game is great, but it just doesn't live up to the standard set by SM or even the GBA games. I like the variety of abilities but other than Scan pulse, nothing really grabs you in terms of the necessity in design as the visors in Prime do.

Overall Ranking

MF>=SM>>ZM>SR.

Final Score=8.3/10

Nessus

Finally got another Aeon ability so I don't keep accidentally spoiling the map for myself (did that twice).

Really wish I could remap the Aeon abilities to the touch screen or the d-pad as 4 buttons rather than a selector, then assign "go into Morph Ball" to A.

Playing on an original 3DS and it's pretty uncomfortable playing for extended periods of time because you have to hold the L button so often. Seriously considering buying a Circle Pad Pro.

Love that this feels completely different from AM2R.

Far better Metroid fights than AM2R. I like how they change things up, giving even the Alphas slightly different abilities, or by changing the terrain (making you fight in shallow water, on platforms, etc.)

hollomat

Banned
Game is fantastic but I wish I could use the d pad. The circle pad is just awful.

My biggest challenge by far is dealing with the circle pad. I just can't get any sort of precision with it.

sfried

If you mean the
Gamma Metroid, the 2nd of the main Metroid forms you face,
, you can force it to do a counterable attack by
freezing the underside with a charged ice beam.

I tried that. It isn't any more "vunerable" that it is not doing it, as it simply just isn't counterable. I manage to put a lot of damage but its still quite the bullet sponge.

entremet

Beat the Game.

Final Thoughts.

Controls/Movement

ZM=MF>SM>SR

Worst of them because no speedbooster and 30fps. Some improvements in comparison to SM, but lacks the map design to back it up leaving Samus to feel tankish.

Combat

MF>=SR>SM>ZR

This game had some very good boss fights and the counter mechanic is enjoyable and helps to spice up the early parts of the game, when combat is usually the most dull in other games. I'm not sure if it matches up the MF's SA-X sequences nor the memorable combat scenes but it's up there.

Map Design

SM>>ZM>MF>>SR

Yeah the map design in this game is the worst by far. That doesn't make it bad map design by any means but it is incredibly bloated the the nessesity of the teleport stations speaks volumes about how difficult it is to create a map like SM's with all the Metroid boss fights. Scan Pulse really is a godsend in this game because without it the experience would have been completely soured. Spiderball is the worst.

World building/Atmosphere

MF>>>>>>>>>SM>SR>ZM

Nothing can beat Fusion's raw discomfort. One of the bigger complaints is the color scheme in this game really lacks the sort of conveyance of setting that's done so prominently in Fusion. Fusions's background sprites really sell the idea in a way that none of the other games have yet to match.

Overall I think this is the worst modern 2D Metroid game. That doesn't make it a bad game, hell I think the game is great, but it just doesn't live up to the standard set by SM or even the GBA games. I like the variety of abilities but other than Scan pulse, nothing really grabs you in terms of the necessity in design as the visors in Prime do.

Overall Ranking

MF>=SM>>ZM>SR.

Final Score=8.3/10

My eyes twitch when I see hobbyists use a 100 point scale lol.

I think only Super is better than this game of the 2D games. Fusion and Zero Mission are great too, but I'm just way more engrossed with this one.

The Wart

Beat the Game.

Final Thoughts.

Controls/Movement

ZM=MF>SM>SR

*snp*

SM>>ZM>MF>>SR

*snp*

I strongly disagree with both these points. Even with 30 fps Samus feels lightning fast and super responsive, nothing remotely "tanky" feeling about it. The addition of free aim on top of that puts SR far above every other 2D Metroid, where most of the challenge of combat consists of awkwardly trying to position yourself such that you have the right angle on the enemy.

The teleporters aren't at all necessary while progressing through the game normally. They just make backtracking for 100% less tedious while maintaining Metroid 2's globally linear structure. I thought Fusion did a much worse job of making each stage interconnected. Super Metriod is obviously the king in this regard, but that's not really a fair comparison because SM's is has an overall nonlinear structure that involves criss-crossing rapidly between all areas of the map.

In terms of "micro" level design, I thought SR was strong but the navigational puzzles and challenges didn't feel quite as inventive as Fusion. Particularly the "challenge rooms" for certain powerups -- some of Fusion's were straight up nuts, whereas SR's are pretty tame and don't push the mechanics particularly hard. Haven't played Super Metroid in too long to say, but my recollection is that the moment-to-moment navigation was less puzzle-y and more straightforward. The challenge was in figuring out where to go next, less how to do so.

Anyway, I haven't actually beat the game yet (just acquired *late game powerup sort-of-spoiler*
the powerbomb
) but assuming the game sticks the landing I feel like this game is easily on par with Fusion. An impressive showing from an external team with a dubious pedigree!

KHlover

Banned
I tried that. It isn't any more "vunerable" that it is not doing it, as it simply just isn't counterable. I manage to put a lot of damage but its still quite the bullet sponge.
All Metroids have attacks you can counter. Either your timing is off or you are trying to counter the wrong attacks.

I am not sure if freezing the belly forces an attack you can counter, but shooting rockets at a frozen belly definitely causes more damage than shooting at an exposed one.

I strongly disagree with both these points. Even with 30 fps Samus feels lightning fast and super responsive, nothing remotely "tanky" feeling about it. The addition of free aim on top of that puts SR far above every other 2D Metroid, where most of the challenge of combat consists of awkwardly trying to position yourself such that you have the right angle on the enemy.

The teleporters aren't at all necessary while progressing through the game normally. They just make backtracking for 100% less tedious while maintaining Metroid 2's globally linear structure. I thought Fusion did a much worse job of making each stage interconnected. Super Metriod is obviously the king in this regard, but that's not really a fair comparison because SM's is has an overall nonlinear structure that involves criss-crossing rapidly between all areas of the map.

In terms of "micro" level design, I thought SR was strong but the navigational puzzles and challenges didn't feel quite as inventive as Fusion. Particularly the "challenge rooms" for certain powerups -- some of Fusion's were straight up nuts, whereas SR's are pretty tame and don't push the mechanics particularly hard. Haven't played Super Metroid in too long to say, but my recollection is that the moment-to-moment navigation was less puzzle-y and more straightforward. The challenge was in figuring out where to go next, less how to do so.

Anyway, I haven't actually beat the game yet (just acquired *late game powerup sort-of-spoiler*
the powerbomb
) but assuming the game sticks the landing I feel like this game is easily on par with Fusion. An impressive showing from an external team with a dubious pedigree!

Area 3 and 4 absolutely do need those teleporters with the amount of times you're running from one end of the area to the other, they save a lot of time you'd otherwise spend pointlessly running around.

Top Bottom