• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man I hope Mercury Steam does Metroid 5. Can you imagine what they'd cook up on the Switch? All that background detail and stuff.

wwm0nkey

When can we expect to hear about the sales? Almost all my friends with a 3DS picked it up and I'm hoping word of mouth also helps

Oidisco

Area 6 might be my favourite so far,
the way they handle the build up to the Omega Metroid is great, plus it was really fun to fight!
Then a little later on,
the Diggernaut fight! I've died 3 times but it's super well designed so far.

ghibli99

Having beat the game 100% in
11:05:00
I can say that the game was definitely made on a tight budget. There's just a lot of things that point to that, including the low number of enemy encounters, the sound effects (A LOT) being ripped from other Metroid games. They definitely put a lot of care into the visual design and gameplay, but other areas not so much.

I think if they had another 6-8 months, you could throw in a few more enemies and change up some sound effects to make it more original. I'd say it's an 8.5/10, but there are clear moments of disappointment.
You'd still give it close to what is basically the average from all reviewers though, so that's good, right? :)

I actually played a small chunk of the original Metroid I and II on 3DS VC last night after 2 hours of SR, and it's not like they're brimming with enemy encounters either. Didn't notice too much of the sound effects since I don't have that intimate a knowledge of the series.

So far, about 4 hours in, it feels really damn good with an excellent feeling of progression. I'd say the only thing I'm a little iffy about is the similarities between all of the Metroid battles so far. Hopefully they bring much more variety as things progress.

FiveSide

Banned
When can we expect to hear about the sales? Almost all my friends with a 3DS picked it up and I'm hoping word of mouth also helps

I've also noticed a lot of people picking this up as their first Metroid. I guess it's just anecdotal, but it seems to me like SR is getting a lot of mainstream interest. Hope we get some sales numbers soon.

Would be legit amazing if it overperformed Nintendo's expectations. Talk about a comeback!

Berordn

I love the music from Prime, but would have preferred something original instead of hearing
Magmoor Caverns and Torvus Bog (actually from Prime 2 I just realized)

They're new arrangements. Magmoor Caverns is originally Lower Norfair from Super Metroid, so you can say they took it from that instead.

I live in a small ish city(approx 24 thousand), and all the copies my local Walmart got were gone except one the day after launch. I think they had like 8-10 copies originally.

All the Metroid amiibo sold out.

I know it's anecdotal, but I was surprised there were other launch day Metroid fans in a mostly rural area.

Just got 100% and completed the Chozo Memories.

Big wut to the eleventh memory. Evil Chozo, or something? And mid way through, do the memories suggest that the Chozo made the X or that they accidentally unleashed them? I'm going on the latter, that's kind of what it looked like to me, like they dug too greedily and too deep.

I hear there's another ending for Hard Mode, I'll try that out next.

How has the stock situation been with the more recent amiibo? I wasn't able to get the amiibo for this game from the initial shipment. Am I likely to be able to get them within the next few months? I'm in Canada, but I'll import the damn things if I have to. I've wanted a Metroid amiibo since amiibo were first announced. They're like the perfect blend of cute and horrible.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Big wut to the eleventh memory. Evil Chozo, or something? And mid way through, do the memories suggest that the Chozo made the X or that they accidentally unleashed them? I'm going on the latter, that's kind of what it looked like to me, like they dug too greedily and too deep.

When that happened it legit freaked me out, it was completely unexpected :lol. I fucking hope it's sequel bait and that Mercury Steam's already well on their way in developing a Switch Metroid 5. Can you imagine Super X Infested Metroids or something crazy like that?

When that happened it legit freaked me out, it was completely unexpected :lol. I fucking hope it's sequel bait and that Mercury Steam's already well on their way in developing a Switch Metroid 5. Can you imagine Super X Infested Metroids or something crazy like that?
i doubt x parasites could ever infect Metroids given they were created specifically to destroy x parasites

Easy_D

never left the stone age
i doubt x parasites could ever infect Metroids given they were created specifically to destroy x parasites

When you got evil-ass Chozo in the mix, anything is possible :p.

Every single samus animation in this game is great. So much attention to detail

Yeah, I love the way she turns, or how she adapts a new stance once you start firing, a lot of love went into this.

rekameohs

Banned
So I am in area 6 and dealing with the
drill bot, which the last phase is really frustrating. That attack where he is smashing his arms to the ground is a huge pain, and the timing with the cores and the head switching to electrifying mode feels kind of ridiculously short. Trying to mess around with slowing down time.
That guy was giving me hell until I realized that
you can use the invincibility Aeion ability to bomb all of the slots on the head even while he's electrified

Astral Dog

It's heartening to see a Sakamoto-produced Metroid title finally acknowledge the Prime Trilogy and even seamlessly integrate it into the canon of the 2D titles (IIRC, he always regarded the Prime Trilogy as distinct from the other titles in the series before). There's a very "Primey" feel to the game with some sound effects and music taken straight from the Retro-developed titles and the environmental design (stuff like the Chozo architecture) also being clearly indebted to the Prime Trilogy.

The game almost seems like Sakamoto's way of acknowledging how wrong he was with the story-heavy approach he chose with Fusion (which was still pretty great) and Other M (which was an abomination) and how Retro managed to do the series far more justice than he did after Super Metroid.

Seems like a good omen for Prime 4.

I wouldn't go that far.
Yeah, this is a remake of Metroid 2 too much story would have been a waste anyways.

wwm0nkey

I've also noticed a lot of people picking this up as their first Metroid. I guess it's just anecdotal, but it seems to me like SR is getting a lot of mainstream interest. Hope we get some sales numbers soon.

Would be legit amazing if it overperformed Nintendo's expectations. Talk about a comeback!
It seems to be a good first Metroid experience, but yeah I'm hoping it kills it in sales

KingBroly

Banned

The impression I have is
that the Metroid life-cycle is created by Metroids absorbing the X-parasites. I also get the impression that Samus wasn't raised by peaceful Chozo, or at least by one of them, anyway. Also, it saying 2d/10 was pretty neat. I'd also guess that Metroids know that the Chozo created them, thus leading to a different interpretation of why the last Metroid spared Samus in Super. It being attracted to Samus' ship instead of staying by her side was interesting to think about.

Music spoilers:
Dat red earth remix. Also I'm at the point in Metroid where I begin to feel like a god. It's my favorite part of the game, just need to get power bombs and I have all the items.

Wanderer5

That guy was giving me hell until I realized that
you can use the invincibility Aeion ability to bomb all of the slots on the head even while he's electrified

Lol wow that's right, but I actually just defeated him now, particularly
after realizing you can go into spider ball to get through his vacuum. I facepalmed so damn hard lol.

Lol damn, but I actually just defeated him now, particularly
after realizing you can go into spider ball to get through his vacuum. I facepalmed so damn hard lol.

Everything you are saying about this fight is stuff that I completely overlooked and furthers my opinion that it is an amazing fight. I never thought to use
Lightning Armor to tank the electricity or Phase Drift to slow down the movement of his head in the last part, or the Spider Ball to stick through the vacuum so you can just keep placing bombs with no worry.
There are so many options in that fight; it's so brilliant. One of my favorite boss fights in the series.

Toxi

Banned
Holy shit, I didn't realize that.

Everything you are saying about this fight is stuff that I completely overlooked and furthers my opinion that it is an amazing fight. I never thought to use
Lightning Armor to tank the electricity or Phase Drift to slow down the movement of his head in the last part, or the Spider Ball to stick through the vacuum so you can just keep placing bombs with no worry.
There are so many options in that fight; it's so brilliant. One of my favorite boss fights in the series.
Also a really good design.
Seeing him lumber around in the dark in the first encounter is so ominous.

KingBroly

Banned

So
does it just stay on you while you bomb it or does it pass over you?

LegendX48

Finally started playing more of this (about 20 minutes in) and the game's handing out upgrades like candy. Not used to so many so quickly. Digging it though

1upsuper

Going back to previous Metroid titles now, it's pretty striking how different they feel compared to Samus Returns. The 3DS's tiny size aside, Samus feels so good to control in this game. There's a certain sense of power and finesse that's different from past games, distinct from the power creep you get from the collectibles. Once you get a handle on the controls you can just fuck shit up. My only problem is the while I love parry systems in games and this one is pretty good, it does mess with the momentum of the game a bit. If you parry everything, there's lots of starting and stopping, and if you don't parry, at least in the early game, the enemies' high HP means you can't quite kill them with regular blasts as quickly as you feel you ought to.

If I had one complaint about this game, it's that my hand becomes super sore after extended play, but that's really more on the design and size of the 3DS than anything (though the game does exacerbate it with the heavy use of the triggers)

Are there any newcomers to Metroid, or even specifically 2D Metroid, that are really enjoying this game? I've tried fleetingly to get into Fusion and Super in the past, but the genre as a whole has never clicked for me. I intend to play through Super Metroid when my SNES Classic arrives soon but regardless of whether that comes to fruition would this game still come recommended?

For reference I really like Prime and Prime 3, Prime 2 I only played a 1/3rd of a long time ago I should maybe think about that. I also really enjoyed the gameplay at least of That Wii Game That Shall Not Be Named. As far as I can put my finger on, I dislike wandering through the same areas again and again mainly just to get upgrades that just allow for more places to be unlocked to get more upgrades and so on as a basic structure, I'd like to see more payoff in terms of plot in order to keep my interest. I think it speaks volumes as to how good Prime 1 is that I found it near unputdownable despite it having the same Metroidvania structure that has never clicked with me.

What say you GAF? A good entry point to 2D Metroid, for me specifically?

Are there any newcomers to Metroid, or even specifically 2D Metroid, that are really enjoying this game? I've tried fleetingly to get into Fusion and Super in the past, but the genre as a whole has never clicked for me. I intend to play through Super Metroid when my SNES Classic arrives soon but regardless of whether that comes to fruition would this game still come recommended?

For reference I really like Prime and Prime 3, Prime 2 I only played a 1/3rd of a long time ago I should maybe think about that. I also really enjoyed the gameplay at least of That Wii Game That Shall Not Be Named. As far as I can put my finger on, I dislike wandering through the same areas again and again mainly just to get upgrades that just allow for more places to be unlocked to get more upgrades and so on as a basic structure, I'd like to see more payoff in terms of plot in order to keep my interest. I think it speaks volumes as to how good Prime 1 is that I found it near unputdownable despite it having the same Metroidvania structure that has never clicked with me.

There's still a decent amount of backtracking, but it's mitigated a lot by the inclusion of teleporters. And most backtracking is only for optional powerups (usually missile, super missile, and power bomb upgrades)

Opa-Pa

Holy fuck, Area 5 👌👌👌👌

The environments are fantastic and that's one song I always wanted remixed.

mrkgoo

Metroid: Zero Mission.

It has all the trappings of a modern 2d Metroid, simpler controls, a more helpful level structure, faster paced...and a lot of the more advanced techniques are really only isolated in specific rooms for more advanced players 9just to get inconsequential upgrades).

And it has a more obvious plot driven narrative than Super Metroid. Also, it's the "first" one. Seems like the best place for you to start for all the right reasons.

But you know, if a game isn't to your suiting, you don't have to play them.

rekameohs

Banned
All done!

100%, 10:52:38

Now I understand what the big spoiler thread was for: that 100% bonus is reaaaalllly interesting. ENDING SPOILERS:
I am already way more excited at the prospect of an evil Chozo faction than I ever was of "the Federation are actually bad guys" or Sylux that they keep trying to ram down our throats. Hopefully they will pay off that concept!

And I have to say that FINAL BOSS SPOILERS:
I am so goddamn happy that Prime is totally canonized now with that Meta Ridley fight. And it absolutely is Meta Ridley, he's got cyborg implants and is a great bridge between Prime and Super. And it uses a remix of the Meta Ridley theme, with its additional flair to the normal Ridley theme. Zero Mission was released after Prime and Yamamoto used the standard Ridley theme, but Prime, Prime 3, and Samus Returns now use the Meta theme. Canon, bitches.

Coming from someone who is an enormous fan of the original Metroid 2, this is a wonderful remake. It, the original, and AM2R are very different games. And I think each of them have moments where they are the best of the bunch. But as a whole, I think Samus Returns is the best telling of this tale.

I'll give some more thoughts later. A very, very good Metroid game: we've been waiting a long time for this.

Croc

Banned
Very late game question:

Is there some kind of extended grappling hook you get later or do I just not know how to solve some of these puzzles

I've beaten Queen Metroid and have the baby Metroid with me already

Top Bottom