• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

They likely meant Hobbyist as opposed to professional reviewer, not anything else...
I know. And the implication is that if you aren't a professional reviewer, your gaming pallette isn't refined enough to know the difference in quality between an 8.0 and an 8.5, as if there was a universal standard for such a thing. It's obnoxious.

eXistor

Playing some more really cements this as a decent but not great Metroid. There's just too many points where it just doesn't compare favorably to other games in the series.

Outside of my initial gripes, which still stand, some new ones have come to light. I see others have already said the same thing though. The game's art just isn't very good and the areas in the game all kind of blur together. Other Metroids have always had very distinct areas, which was further helped by having distinct music. Samus Returns just has one look so far (apparently Area 5 is different, but I haven't gotten there yet) and their brilliant idea to diversivy them is to have them be in a different color? You can do better than this. You need to do better in fact.

Enemy encounters continue to bore and annoy; it's just not very fun to keep having to counter just about every enemy, forcing you to stop and wait for it to attack.

I'm still having fun with it, but this really isn't the grand return of Metroid some were hoping it would be. The series legacy remains in tact at least and the game certainly isn't bad, it just needs to be better.

TheMoon

When can we expect to hear about the sales? Almost all my friends with a 3DS picked it up and I'm hoping word of mouth also helps

On Wednesday for Japan, never for Europe, never for NA unless it magically does absolute crazy numbers and they can brag about "best franchise sales" or something similar after the NPDs come out next month. You only hear about sales if they break records (time, amount).

D.Lo

On Wednesday for Japan, never for Europe, never for NA unless it magically does absolute crazy numbers and they can brag about "best franchise sales" or something similar after the NPDs come out next month. You only hear about sales if they break records (time, amount).
If it breaks a million worldwide eventually we'll hear about it. But that could take years.

Ein Bear

Had a busy weekend, but finally managed to dig into this properly last night.

I'm struggling a bit with my muscle memory from the previous games. The rhythm of combat is quite different this time round with the lock-in-place free aiming.

It's a fantastic game though. Its funny how pleasant it felt to get properly lost and not know where to go for a while. The visuals are beautiful as well, I was surprised at how well it emulates the Prime art-style. It's a shame I'm only playing on a standard sized New 3DS really... I'm tempted to buy an XL, but it seems a waste when this is probably the last game I'll play on the system.

KingBroly

Banned
If it breaks a million worldwide eventually we'll hear about it. But that could take years.

I think it struggles to hit a million in sales, simply because of how the series has been treated recently. There was a "Metroid game" released last year, after all. And it tanked horrifically. People are going to be very hesitant to pick up any Metroid title from here on out because of the last 2 entries.

Maybe it gets some momentum behind it around November because of Pokemon, but I'm not hopeful.

Finally checking in. I've reached the third area

Playing a new metroid game is amazing! Not quite sure how I feel about the constant action though. You can't swing your dick without constant enemies. Makes backtracking a pain.

I just got the lighting Armour, what's the point of this exactly?

The counter is a great addition, although I think it's a little overused so far.

Also the ice beam is weak as fuck. Barely freezes enemies and you basically can't kill with it.

The controls are a little fucky too. Free admin to shoot missiles at blocks to then freeze an enemy to jump the ledge just feels awkward rather than hard.

Overall I'm loving it though.

teeny

Played about five minutes of it this morning as I had to pick it up from the post office on my way into work. Really excited to dig into it, looking/feeling/sounding good so far!

It's hard work going back to 3DS visuals, though the 3D is very impressive.

jb1234

This is a long game. Twelve hours in (according to the activity log, which is accurate. The game timer is not) and just starting what I presume is the final area. It's been fun but I'm ready to wrap things up because there hasn't been a great deal of variety in either the areas or the enemies.

Honestly would recommend playing with headphones.

Not sure how to feel about reused music - it didn't irk me but does seem a bit unambitious.

Just got the wave beam - got me amiibo in me backpack to bust out once I complete it. Loving it.

GeekyDad

Well, I think inadvertently did things ass backwards. I got the Varia suit and went as far as I could go, so I started backtracking in Area 2. Ends up, I hadn't yet gotten the spring ball. Was pretty cool, though, as I think I just fought one of the game's first actual bosses. He was easy but fun.

And now, FUCK THOSE FANS!

playing zero mission since i can't get this game right now WAKE ME UP

That's next on my list, having never played it.

FUCK the amiboos requirement. Surely there's a homebrew solution to needing ugly plastic shit by now?

I wouldn't even mind it if I wasn't playing on an O3DS. But you can't use Amiibos on the old system, as far as I know.

TheMoon

FUCK the amiboos requirement. Surely there's a homebrew solution to needing ugly plastic shit by now?

There's no "requirement" and you're talking about piracy which paints a target on your back so watch it.

I wouldn't even mind it if I wasn't playing on an O3DS. But you can't use Amiibos on the old system, as far as I know.

Of course you can. But you need the NFC reader adapter.

GeekyDad

You can get a little portal that facilitates it for the older 3ds models. They introduced around Happy Home Designer I believe

Really really enjoying area 5!

Ah cool, didn't even know that. Thanks.

I tried pre-ordering the two-pack back when simply because I loved the way both Amiibos looked. Guess I'll still try to pick that up if I can find one.

goldenpp72

I think it struggles to hit a million in sales, simply because of how the series has been treated recently. There was a "Metroid game" released last year, after all. And it tanked horrifically. People are going to be very hesitant to pick up any Metroid title from here on out because of the last 2 entries.

Maybe it gets some momentum behind it around November because of Pokemon, but I'm not hopeful.

Link between worlds struggled to pass 2 million when 3ds was booming so yeah I have little faith.

Jazzem

Playing some more really cements this as a decent but not great Metroid. There's just too many points where it just doesn't compare favorably to other games in the series.

Outside of my initial gripes, which still stand, some new ones have come to light. I see others have already said the same thing though. The game's art just isn't very good and the areas in the game all kind of blur together. Other Metroids have always had very distinct areas, which was further helped by having distinct music. Samus Returns just has one look so far (apparently Area 5 is different, but I haven't gotten there yet) and their brilliant idea to diversivy them is to have them be in a different color? You can do better than this. You need to do better in fact.

Funny thing is that's one of the major issues with the original, though obviously can't be helped there with a monochrome colour scheme. It would've benefited from Pokémon Yellow esque Game Boy Color or Super Game Boy use, changing to a different set of four shades for each area.

Makes me wonder how that cancelled Game Boy Color version would've turned out.

Link between worlds struggled to pass 2 million when 3ds was booming so yeah I have little faith.

That was such a shame, best Zelda in years was one of the least successful :(

Cindro

I spent a good thirty minutes scouring the Area 1 map last night searching for the section's final upgrade. The map looks wholly complete - no open circles, no gaps along the perimeter of rooms indicating an undisclosed secret area, no icons showing a power up I've seen but haven't yet collected.

The pixel hunt is real.

GeekyDad

:D

Was a little over the 5-hour mark and only at about 15 percent. Hee, hee, I'm so slow. Just entered Area 3. New enemies. Love this game.

Lutherian

Ok guys, I hope you finished Samus Returns at 100% and checked the Chozo Archives, especially the final page.

I can't wait for
the next 2D Metroid : Metroid V.

KingBroly

Banned
I spent a good thirty minutes scouring the Area 1 map last night searching for the section's final upgrade. The map looks wholly complete - no open circles, no gaps along the perimeter of rooms indicating an undisclosed secret area, no icons showing a power up I've seen but haven't yet collected.

The pixel hunt is real.

If you can't find an open circle, it means you've passed by it on the Map.
It will appear as a smaller version of that item.

octopiggy

Nope. I give up. How on earth do you beat the
drill boss
. I can get to the 3rd phase, although that takes me like 10 minutes each time. But I can't see an opening for attack. Is it something to do with when he starts trying to suck you up? Also those lasers are, like, impossible to dodge.

Great game overall but a few thing are really winding me up.

WhatNXt

I'm on Area 3 myself, game is legitimately awesome.
I think I let the AM2R backlash dull my hype - the 3D is far better than I expected, videos and screenshots don't do it justice.

Not gonna lie though, I'd buy a Switch-build in a heartbeat.

Just beat the game.

Is Prime canon now? Wasn't it kicked out, or something?
Also, how does Ridley die, then come back to life minutes later, in time for Super Metroid?
Some quick impressions:

-Best boss fights and combat in the 2D series - by far.

-Level design depends a lot on the Scan Pulse because world feels a bit disorganized.

-It's the most maze like game in the series. Super and the others have worlds that felt more organic than this one. There is something just off with the level design, IMO.

-Still fun to explore and roam around. Just something is a little off.

-Kinda want remake on switch, just so my hands don't break if I play it again. I wouldn't care if they did, in the end.

Overall, best handheld game. Can't wait of the next, one, if this one is successful. Off feeling of the levels don't detract from everything else.

I've not beaten the game so I'm not as far as you, but I kinda like the maze-like nature of the world so far. I've happened across a couple of Metroids that I think are possibly outside of the natural order most people will play through, because I've kinda been running around and exploring as soon as I get a new ability. It's the first Metroid game where it feels like I'm actually hunting.

I like the Prime-esque aesthetic. It still feels 'cartoonier' than the Prime games, but some of the nice background touches give each area personality, where they probably had next to none in the original Gameboy title, and all the Chozo and Sr388 background detail just makes it feel part of a cohesive universe. I like it!

GeekyDad

I'm on Area 3 myself, game is legitimately awesome.
I think I let the AM2R backlash dull my hype - the 3D is far better than I expected, videos and screenshots don't do it justice.

Yeah, I'll agree, but I don't feel like what's going on in the background really has much impact visually until the latter parts of Area 2. Then I started really noticing some of the things going on back there that really add to the experience for me personally. I know even reviewers seem to have whipped right through this game, but for me it's a slowly building experience in just about every way, which I think is great.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's not great, but Metroid was never a huge seller, it's slightly below Kirby-tier. Install base is big but consumers aren't exactly chomping at the bit for 3DS games now. Was never going to storm the chart.

WhatNXt

That's not good, is it?

No, it's not.

Anecdotal reasoning here, but I don't think shipments will have been all that high to begin with. My local GAME had sold out of their standard copies, they didn't have any of the limited edition, and they had to give me a display case (ie. opened) with the game and literature put back in. The Nintendo section in my store is miniscule compared to all the XBO/PS4 stuff. They have equal amount of space devoted to Steam and VR, and a section for lame collectables. It feels like Nintendo have a long road to recovery in the UK after Wii U.

Yeah, I'll agree, but I don't feel like what's going on in the background really has much impact visually until the latter parts of Area 2. Then I started really noticing some of the things going on back there that really add to the experience for me personally. I know even reviewers seem to have whipped right through this game, but for me it's a slowly building experience in just about every way, which I think is great.

Yeah it wasn't until the end of Area 2 and the start of the section I'm at now where I began to notice moving technology, alien creatures in the background, and incidental animations like falling pillars etc. The attention to detail is really nice in some places. There have been a couple of Metroid battles where you see them first in the background before they emerge on the foreground too. Quite nice!

Toxi

Banned
I just got the lighting Armour, what's the point of this exactly?
Beyond mandatory sections, it's a good way to reduce chip damage and knockback while going through an area, and it acts as extra health in boss fights.

Also the ice beam is weak as fuck. Barely freezes enemies and you basically can't kill with it.
Shooting enemies with a missile when they're frozen is an insta-kill, so with quick timing the ice beam can actually do some good damage.

Also, it's the only beam that works on Metroids.

wwm0nkey

Beyond mandatory sections, it's a good way to reduce chip damage and knockback while going through an area, and it acts as extra health in boss fights.

Shooting enemies with a missile when they're frozen is an insta-kill, so with quick timing the ice beam can actually do some good damage.

Shoot with ice beam and then melee for instant kills

WhatNXt

Face in palm - I've had quite a few deaths that I might have avoided if I'd considered using it like that!

But yeah, lightning armour is useful. There are sections you can't get through unless you have it, walls
you can't climb with spider ball if you don't have it etc.

Figured there may be mandatory sectiona for the Armour, but wasn't sure if it was just a passing ability either. Good to know.

My muscle memory from Super made me think the ice beam did regular damage too. I guess it makes sense to be more of a utility beam.

Either way, delighted to be playing a new metroid game

Top Bottom