• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Kindekuma

Banned
What's with the blocks that are indestructible? Most power ups left are between me and that diamond pattern block. Someone spoil it for me on what I need to do here.

I've got everything sans power bombs.

Toxi

Banned
Finished with 100%... And over 16 hours. >_< To be fair, I wasn't trying to blaze through.

Even with 100%, that final boss is quite an ordeal. In a good way.

That last Chozo memory was shocking.
So the SR388 Chozo were killed off not by Metroids, but other Chozo.

The Wart

Area 3 and 4 absolutely do need those teleporters with the amount of times you're running from one end of the area to the other, they save a lot of time you'd otherwise spend pointlessly running around.

Can't say I remember that. Maybe I just got lucky and stumbled on the necessary powerups before running into the sections that required those powerups?

Area 2 Spoilers/Plea for help

HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO KILL THAT GODDAMN SPIDER BOSS? Every time it dives for me I literally can not jump over it, every time it makes a bee line for me it stops just short of me the moment I jump so that I can’t get over it and it hurts me. Thing kills me so easily every time and it is driving me INSANE.

I strongly disagree with both these points. Even with 30 fps Samus feels lightning fast and super responsive, nothing remotely "tanky" feeling about it. The addition of free aim on top of that puts SR far above every other 2D Metroid, where most of the challenge of combat consists of awkwardly trying to position yourself such that you have the right angle on the enemy.

The teleporters aren't at all necessary while progressing through the game normally. They just make backtracking for 100% less tedious while maintaining Metroid 2's globally linear structure. I thought Fusion did a much worse job of making each stage interconnected. Super Metriod is obviously the king in this regard, but that's not really a fair comparison because SM's is has an overall nonlinear structure that involves criss-crossing rapidly between all areas of the map.

In terms of "micro" level design, I thought SR was strong but the navigational puzzles and challenges didn't feel quite as inventive as Fusion. Particularly the "challenge rooms" for certain powerups -- some of Fusion's were straight up nuts, whereas SR's are pretty tame and don't push the mechanics particularly hard. Haven't played Super Metroid in too long to say, but my recollection is that the moment-to-moment navigation was less puzzle-y and more straightforward. The challenge was in figuring out where to go next, less how to do so.

Anyway, I haven't actually beat the game yet (just acquired *late game powerup sort-of-spoiler*
the powerbomb
) but assuming the game sticks the landing I feel like this game is easily on par with Fusion. An impressive showing from an external team with a dubious pedigree!

The morph ball being what it is in this game and the 30fps pretty much force a lack of shinesparking which makes the power-up collecting more a puzzle rather than a test of mechanical expertise. (Phase Drift Puzzles were the worst.) The responsiveness of the controls in Fusion/ZM allows for those sorts of challenges. Here you fall and remember you have to stop time next time.

Kindekuma

Banned

HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO KILL THAT GODDAMN SPIDER BOSS? Every time it dives for me I literally can not jump over it, every time it makes a bee line for me it stops just short of me the moment I jump so that I can’t get over it and it hurts me. Thing kills me so easily every time and it is driving me INSANE.

Arachnus? Lol just
jump to the side before it lands on top of you, don't try to jump over it. Spam missiles when it's not protecting the underbelly.

Toxi

Banned

You mean the Gamma Metroid? Try to stay away from the walls, since it bounces off on a charge.

To kill it faster, try freezing the underside and then countering its first attack on the ground.

What's with the blocks that are indestructible? Most power ups left are between me and that diamond pattern block. Someone spoil it for me on what I need to do here.

I've got everything sans power bombs.
You won't get the ability to get past those until basically the very end of the game. You'll definitely know when you get it, it's not missable.

entremet

The morph ball being what it is in this game and the 30fps pretty much force a lack of shinesparking which makes the power-up collecting more a puzzle rather than a test of mechanical expertise. (Phase Drift Puzzles were the worst.) The responsiveness of the controls in Fusion/ZM allows for those sorts of challenges. Here you fall and remember you have to stop time next time.
I though shine sparking was way too awkward to be a viable mechanic.

Kindekuma

Banned
You won't get the ability to get past those until basically the very end of the game. You'll definitely know when you get it, it's not missable.

So you're telling me ALL these blocks that obstruct a power up will become available
near the end of the game?
talk about breaking the pacing to go back and collect all these.

The Wart

Not sure what you're referring to re: morphball, but you might be right about shinespark; that could end up an incomprehensible smear at 30 fps. Still, the idea that Samus feels "tanklike" in this game is just crazy to me.

I though shine sparking was way too awkward to be a viable mechanic.

This too. Even at 60 fps, you move too fast and the camera is too zoomed in to be able to parse what's happening and plan an action, so it ends up a lot of trial and error. And the controls are painfully finicky. It's like they tried to graft a Platinum or Treasure fast action game onto a set of controls that was already overloaded with a dozen other functions. So I can't say that I particularly miss the shinespark in SR.

Toxi

Banned
Am I missing something? Where are these Chozo memories?? Lol
They're art depicting the story of the Chozo of SR388 and their creation of the Metroids. You can view them when you select a save file under the options menu. You unlock pieces of the 10 memories with item completion milestones; you need 100% to view all of them.

Blues1990

After completing the game the first time around, I was able to speed run it and got 5 hours and 32 minutes.

I think I can do better, as being a Metroid game, the game probably has a dumb victory screen with Samus in some form fitting outfit when you get the best time on the clock.

While the Speed Booster being missing is definitely due to graphical concerns and there were a few areas where I definitely missed the extra speed and protection I don't really miss the Speed Booster/Shinespark puzzles, they were leaned on way too heavily in Fusion and Zero Mission for my liking. Zero Mission especially, it felt like every other expansion and Energy Tank was hidden behind a Speed Booster puzzle. While I would absolutely like to see it come back in the next 2D Metroid I'm okay with Samus Returns bringing a change of pace to 2D Metroid puzzle solving.

Verilligo

While the Speed Booster being missing is definitely due to graphical concerns and there were a few areas where I definitely missed the extra speed and protection I don't really miss the Speed Booster/Shinespark puzzles, they were leaned on way too heavily in Fusion and Zero Mission for my liking. Zero Mission especially, it felt like every other expansion and Energy Tank was hidden behind a Speed Booster puzzle. While I would absolutely like to see it come back in the next 2D Metroid I'm okay with Samus Returns bringing a change of pace to 2D Metroid puzzle solving.
What Fusion and Zero Mission did with the Speed Booster is one of the main reasons I hate the Speed Booster and all of its BS controls with having to conserve momentum. It's challenging, yes, but I don't find it fun in the slightest. I'm glad we have the slowdown here rather than speed boosting.

Wow I was absolutely loving this game until I've hit a big ol' roadblock. I'm hoping there's something obvious I'm missing here, because otherwise I'm at a loss for how poor the conveyance in
the driller boss
is. How do you
damage it in its final form? I already broke both of its big ol' drill arms, despite it taking far too much trial and error to see what I was even supposed to be interacting with. Now it just goes in a cycle of lasers -> drill smash -> sucking in, and seems to be unable to be damaged in any of those forms.

As a side note, it's such bullshit that your time power turns off for no reason if you're sucked in. It would have been very cool if you could damage it by slowing time to grab onto its mouth without getting hurt on the teeth and ram some missiles in.

I really hope this is less shitty than I'm thinking it is, because I really like the Metroid battles for the most part, especially the Zetas, they're a lot of fun.

Oh, speaking of boss design, does anyone know if it's possible to regain missiles when you're fighting the Alpha/Gamma Metroids that drop the lightning balls instead of shooting the pellets? I had an issue early on where I got stuck in one of those fights because I couldn't figure out how to/if you had any way of regaining missiles, and it's a huge bummer if so.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So you're telling me ALL these blocks that obstruct a power up will become available
near the end of the game?
talk about breaking the pacing to go back and collect all these.

I think there were only 3 or 4 items behind crystals. There were several behind crystals that had other ways to access, but I only remember a few that absolutely needed the crystal breaking item.

Wow I was absolutely loving this game until I've hit a big ol' roadblock. I'm hoping there's something obvious I'm missing here, because otherwise I'm at a loss for how poor the conveyance in
the driller boss
is. How do you
damage it in its final form? I already broke both of its big ol' drill arms, despite it taking far too much trial and error to see what I was even supposed to be interacting with. Now it just goes in a cycle of lasers -> drill smash -> sucking in, and seems to be unable to be damaged in any of those forms.

As a side note, it's such bullshit that your time power turns off for no reason if you're sucked in. It would have been very cool if you could damage it by slowing time to grab onto its mouth without getting hurt on the teeth and ram some missiles in.
Use bombs.

Stopdoor

the driller boss
is. How do you

I really hope this is less shitty than I'm thinking it is, because I really like the Metroid battles for the most part, especially the Zetas, they're a lot of fun.

Oh, speaking of boss design, does anyone know if it's possible to regain missiles when you're fighting the Alpha/Gamma Metroids that drop the lightning balls instead of shooting the pellets? I had an issue early on where I got stuck in one of those fights because I couldn't figure out how to/if you had any way of regaining missiles, and it's a huge bummer if so.

For the boss:
You can use bombs when he uses the sucking in move, it's not sign-posted well at all, no. After that, there's a slight gimmick to land the final hits on him that's also kind of obtuse - notice that some red lines on his face need to line up when you attack.

Yeah, the lightning balls can replenish missiles. Metroids are also all vulnerable to the Ice Beam now, I think the fire variations are supposed to hint you toward that I guess?

Oidisco

Besides what I said in my last post, I think my biggest issue with this game is that very few of the areas unique and distinct. It all just blurs together both visually and musically.

It's a shame too since every other game since Super Metroid has made each area feel very unique, even in AM2R. You could just hear a piece of music from those games and you'd know which section it comes from. The music, atmosphere and environmental design are all super important to the Metroid games and Samus Returns really falls flat here. Area 5 is literally the only part of game where there's a significant chunk of exploration happening with melodic music, and even then it probably only makes up about half of that Area.

Everything about the actual gameplay is great though. Took a while but I think it controls very well, combat feels good, it was just hard enough to keep it challenging throughout the game without getting frustrating, plenty of power-ups with a decent number of them being well hidden and the few bosses that are here are easily among the best in the franchise. Not gonna score the game yet, I might do that after I play through it hard mode.

One other teensy gripe, I wish they gave each area a proper name rather than just a number.

For the boss:
You can use bombs when he uses the sucking in move, it's not sign-posted well at all, no. After that, there's a slight gimmick to land the final hits on him that's also kind of obtuse - notice that some red lines on his face need to line up when you attack.

Yeah, the lightning balls can replenish missiles. Metroids are also all vulnerable to the Ice Beam now, I think the fire variations are supposed to hint you toward that I guess?
Ah, okay. The one thing I didn't try on the
sucking move - I figured that if neither Missiles nor Super Missiles did anything, it wouldn't be terribly likely that Bombs would either. Plus they would be extra-difficult to make it suck in due to them exploding quickly, so I didn't continue trying after I failed a handful of times.

That's interesting, I was just thinking how the Ice Beam seemed underused. I hadn't even thought to use it on the evolved Metroids. That lines up with Fusion's Omega being weak to Ice, too, which is fun.

sonto340

Ah, okay. The one thing I didn't try on the
sucking move - I figured that if neither Missiles nor Super Missiles did anything, it wouldn't be terribly likely that Bombs would either. Plus they would be extra-difficult to make it suck in due to them exploding quickly, so I didn't continue trying after I failed a handful of times.

That's interesting, I was just thinking how the Ice Beam seemed underused. I hadn't even thought to use it on the evolved Metroids. That lines up with Fusion's Omega being weak to Ice, too, which is fun.
Regarding the boss
you can use spider ball to stick to the ground and just follow the vacuum and lay bombs.

Atrarock

Regarding the boss
you can use spider ball to stick to the ground and just follow the vacuum and lay bombs.
Gonna need to slap my head with my hand followed by a head desk a few times for not realizing this after I fought with the
queen
much earlier.

Stopdoor

About the Final Boss:
Holy goodness, Ridley is just an absolute tank. Like, I'm just imagining him coming straight from his fight from Metroid 1 and still recovering, but if you take into account the Prime games it's even crazier. And then there's the fact that after taking this multi-stage beatdown from Samus and the Metroid, he literally gets right up again and chases you down in Super Metroid. Honestly, the whole contrivance in Other M where he had to be "revived" is just made even more incredibly pointless, it's clear this dude just does not die, and whatever beating he received in Super Metroid could not have been enough to have Samus convinced that was the end of him. Almost want a Super Metroid remake just to see them seriously tackle taking Ridley down.

Regarding the boss

Dang, didn't think of this for that fight.

sfried

All Metroids have attacks you can counter. Either your timing is off or you are trying to counter the wrong attacks.

I am not sure if freezing the belly forces an attack you can counter, but shooting rockets at a frozen belly definitely causes more damage than shooting at an exposed one.

Area 3 and 4 absolutely do need those teleporters with the amount of times you're running from one end of the area to the other, they save a lot of time you'd otherwise spend pointlessly running around.

So it wasn't Gamma after all but somewhere before Zeta. Basically it rolls around and spindashes into you, as well as toss like what looks to be Reppukken. Anyways, I just had to unload more of my missles isn'tead of being too conservative with it.

rekameohs

Banned
Regarding the boss
Spider Ball is insanely useful in the late boss fights: like Diggernaut and Queen Metroid. This game really opened by eyes to its utility in new situations than the original Metroid 2.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm....mid area-3 right now, and while I like it, I definitely am torn on the more 'linear' nature of the zones - I know it's a thing with Metroid 2, but combined with the lack of glaring visual differences and the like, it starts feeling a bit same-y, and having to go out of your way to backtrack for items (even with teleporter usage) instead of having a 'chance' to return as part of another sequence feels less 'fun' as a result.

I'm still not sure if I'm a fan of the counter system and the way it basically 'speeds' up enemy movements/patterns - or at least, combined with Samus taking more damage per hit than I remember in any other Metroid game - even with the new powers, I think the balance is a wee bit off.

Could be it's just the XL, but the holding L trigger to shoot and move the cursor also feels kinda bad at times, and gets tiring on the hand.

It's certainly a return to the 'sense' of Metroid compared to Other M, but I can definitely tell some of the differences between Nintendo in-house and MercurySteam.

So far SM >= ZM >= Fusion > SR, but not to the point of where I won't 100%

Toxi

Banned
About the Final Boss:
Holy goodness, Ridley is just an absolute tank. Like, I'm just imagining him coming straight from his fight from Metroid 1 and still recovering, but if you take into account the Prime games it's even crazier. And then there's the fact that after taking this multi-stage beatdown from Samus and the Metroid, he literally gets right up again and chases you down in Super Metroid. Honestly, the whole contrivance in Other M where he had to be "revived" is just made even more incredibly pointless, it's clear this dude just does not die, and whatever beating he received in Super Metroid could not have been enough to have Samus convinced that was the end of him. Almost want a Super Metroid remake just to see them seriously tackle taking Ridley down.
I like how there are no less than three separate fake-outs for the end of the final boss fight (first when he's buried under rocks, second two when the Metroid hatchling attacks him), just to hammer in Ridley's ability to never fucking die.

Just gonna quote myself the one time:

How has the stock situation been with the more recent amiibo? I wasn't able to get the amiibo for this game from the initial shipment. Am I likely to be able to get them within the next few months? I'm in Canada, but I'll import the damn things if I have to. I've wanted a Metroid amiibo since amiibo were first announced. They're like the perfect blend of cute and horrible.

Does anyone know what the stock situation has been with the more recent amiibo releases?

Regarding the final boss:
Samus really needs to take out a god damn restraining order against Ridley. Take a hint, dude.

Also, what's with that 100% reward?
Evil Chozo are the villains in Metroid 5?

Toxi

Banned
Also, what's with that 100% reward?
Evil Chozo are the villains in Metroid 5?
The Chozo of SR388 weren't killed off by the Metroids as long thought, but instead by another faction of Chozo. Or they split into two factions, one of which killed the other. It's kinda unclear, but either way, there are some murderous Chozo still out there.

Just beat the game.

Is Prime canon now? Wasn't it kicked out, or something?
Also, how does Ridley die, then come back to life minutes later, in time for Super Metroid?
Some quick impressions:

-Best boss fights and combat in the 2D series - by far.

-Level design depends a lot on the Scan Pulse because world feels a bit disorganized.

-It's the most maze like game in the series. Super and the others have worlds that felt more organic than this one. There is something just off with the level design, IMO.

-Still fun to explore and roam around. Just something is a little off.

-Kinda want remake on switch, just so my hands don't break if I play it again. I wouldn't care if they did, in the end.

Overall, best handheld game. Can't wait of the next, one, if this one is successful. Off feeling of the levels don't detract from everything else.

Toxi

Banned
Just beat the game.

Also, how does Ridley die, then come back to life minutes later, in time for Super Metroid?
Just because he falls down and his eyes turn dark doesn't mean he's dead. :p His body is largely intact and we saw how resilient he is earlier in the fight.

Just because he falls down and his eyes turn dark doesn't mean he's dead. :p His body is largely intact and we saw how resilient he is earlier in the fight.

I don't think Super Metroid takes place literally just after Metroid II anyways. There needed to be some time for the researchers to study the Metroid Samus brought in in order for them to make any kind of discoveries that Samus mentioned in the Super Metroid intro. My headcanon states that she was hired to guard the Ceres station for at least a few months or so.

Toxi

Banned
I don't think Super Metroid takes place literally just after Metroid II anyways. There needed to be some time for the researchers to study the Metroid Samus brought in in order for them to make any kind of discoveries that Samus mentioned in the Super Metroid info. My headcanon states that she was hired to guard the Ceres station for at least a few months or so.
That... Actually makes a lot of sense. How the hell would you be able to make any kind of meaningful scientific discovery in a few hours?

I guess that's true. There is also the fact, though, that he is kinda mecha ridley, then normal ridley with no time at all :p Samus beat life into him, apparently

I don't think Super Metroid takes place literally just after Metroid II anyways. There needed to be some time for the researchers to study the Metroid Samus brought in in order for them to make any kind of discoveries that Samus mentioned in the Super Metroid info. My headcanon states that she was hired to guard the Ceres station for at least a few months or so.

That makes sense too, actually. Although,
the Metroid baby never grows up, in that time.

Opa-Pa

Fought my first Omega tonight, and boy, that was something else. Final boss worthy even, bosses in this game are so good.

Also, the thought of a Metroid 5 developed by this guys after seeing Area 5... They have me totally convinced now.

I'd say if there were any areas that could be improved upon in the game, they would be:
  • More enemy variety. A few more types, and them being more tied to the different areas would have really helped keep things interesting. As it is, it does sorta feel like you're facing the same enemies throughout the whole game, just in different colors. (Outside of the machine enemies towards the later parts of the game)
  • Better theming for areas. While there were individual parts of levels that were cool and interesting (the dam area early on, as well as the
    Chozo research area
    later in the game), the "Areas" themselves were not distinct at all. Just being called Area 1 and Area 2 didn't help with that. The areas didn't feel unique at all, in gameplay or in looks.
  • More varied Metroid fights. With 40 fights, it's hard to keep that interesting, but the fights against the Alphas and Gammas just get repetitive after a while. They should have mixed up the arenas more, introduced other hazards or more enemies in the fights to keep them interesting, or increased the number of moves they had available to a bit closer to what the Zetas and Omegas had. Considering how many times you fight the Alphas and Gammas, more variety in their fights would've been nice.
Those are probably my biggest issues with the game, or places where improvements could have the biggest impact on the overall quality for me. Game is great, fantastic, but I think those changes could have easily pushed it to the top of the 2D list for me.

About the Final Boss:

I always found the "but Samus has faced Ridley numerous times by Other M" complaints to be overblown since there was literally only a single time when Samus literally blew up a planet with Ridley on it.

Jaymageck

Currently up to Area 6. Having a great time. The
robot boss
was both creative and challenging and a good use of 3d.

Also, I'm happy that the
Omega Metroids are as threatening and intense as I'd expect.

Top Bottom