• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Beat Area 6. Really enjoyed
the mining robot boss. Good use of all of Samus' abilities and was provided a good challenge. That final 'nope' shot by Samus was great.

About 6 hours in. It's a really well-executed game that's hampered by the tech

Considering Super Metroid is still considered one of the best in the series, odd that you think a Metroid game is hampered by being on a more powerful system than the SNES.

okay, let me guess.... like in th previous game, i'll need the
baby metroid
to destroy those blocks? Didn't think you could explore the map with it
the mining robot boss. Good use of all of Samus' abilities and was provided a good challenge. That final 'nope' shot by Samus was great.

Considering Super Metroid is still considered one of the best in the series, odd that you think a Metroid game is hampered by being on a more powerful system than the SNES.

welp... super metroid was 60 fps.... samus return is 30 fps, but i would blame this more on the developpers rather than the console, there's plenty of 60 fps game on 3ds

Shitty screens, 30 FPS with frame drops, and overall poor image quality. It is what it is, and I'm not going to complain that it isn't on the Switch instead, but they're legitimate personal gripes. The developer had a vision, but the 3DS wasn't capable of at least delivering it at 60 FPS. To their credit, they managed to make the 3D effect shine in this title. It's one of the best implementations in a 3DS game yet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to let the frame rate keep me from enjoying the game, but 30 FPS tends to stick out more to me in side-scrolling games.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
What disappointed me so far - and I don't know if they just copied this from the original M II, haven't played it - is that all these (early) Metroid fights are exactly the same. I defeated 7 or 8 in my first session and I expected the fights to mix up a bit. Only at the start of area 3, this could change soon.

And tbh I'm already tired of the melee counter... but liking the game overall.

I really feel like I'm fighting the controls and requiring some enemies only be killed with the third toggle ability really sucks ass.

But I'm in the last stretch of the game collecting the remaining power ups before the proper final boss. I don't think I'll go at it again. At least I can say it was an enjoyable metroid experience.

TheMoon

What disappointed me so far - and I don't know if they just copied this from the original M II, haven't played it - is that all these (early) Metroid fights are exactly the same. I defeated 7 or 8 in my first session and I expected the fights to mix up a bit. Only at the start of area 3, this could change soon.

And tbh I'm already tired of the melee counter... but liking the game overall.

They're gonna change. Not by much but ...they're gonna change.

pa22word

Diggernaut
is thumb murder. Awesome boss, but it's hard to try more than one attempt at him just because the 3ds has such terrible ergonomic design.

Honestly wished I would have kept around my og 3ds for this game because the circle pad plus made the thing sooo much better to hold on to.

Emitan

end game spoilers

Defeated the metroid queen. really hard fight because i couldnt figure out how to dodge her pattern near the end. im glad i finally have the baby so i can start hunting for powerups. especially beacuse ive heard ridley is super hard

end game spoilers

Defeated the metroid queen. really hard fight because i couldnt figure out how to dodge her pattern near the end. im glad i finally have the baby so i can start hunting for powerups. especially beacuse ive heard ridley is super hard

What really helped me in the last phases of the Queen fight was, interestingly enough, the power bomb boost. If you launch off the wall while she's firing a beam, it'll interrupt the attack, letting you skip some of the more troublesome patterns!

And on the subject of big metroids...

I really like the way the grapple beam was implemented into the Zeta and Queen fights. Mostly I want to see more of Samus tossing huge enemies around; it's great.

I also like that it was the way to get at the Queen's weak point; in case you didn't know, you can roll down the beast's gullet and drop a power bomb for huge damage. Don't forget to turn lightning armor on to block the damage YOU take!

I've finished this game 3 times now, once on each difficulty mode. It's really freakin' good.

Stopdoor

Yeah, thinking about it, the extra A button press for Aeion abilities makes no sense and just adds an awkward hurdle to the whole thing. Weird.

Pila

I love how deep the backgrounds are, sometimes you really feel like you're looking at a deep cave instead of a background. I heard mixed opinions about the graphics but it looks like a pretty 3DS game to me.

Not a fan of palette swaps.

Game is big! Jealous of you guys dropping "100%d in two days" like it's nothing, I can't play games this much anymore. :(

Came to chime in that the
Diggernaut Chase
complaints make no sense to me, as the first time I played through I didn't fail once, even with the surprises.

2nd Playthrough on Hard, I failed twice, but easily made it through. IT's not like it's particularly hard, so I don't know why it's frustrating. The whole sequence is pretty short too.

Toxi

Banned
Hoping someone gifs that moment.

Glad to see you're enjoying the game.

XandBosch

I haven't visited this thread for the purpose of avoiding spoilers, but I came to ask:

Is anyone sort of tired of seeing the same power-ups in Metroid games at this point? I know you can look at this game like The Force Awakens - it's been so long since we had a PROPER Metroid game that maybe they just wanted to keep it familiar, AND I know it's a remake, but still - being that it's sort of a re-imagining at the same time, I was hoping for some new weapons and power-ups. It's cool to finally get things like the
grapple beam
, but I dunno.

Toxi

Banned
I haven't visited this thread for the purpose of avoiding spoilers, but I came to ask:

Is anyone sort of tired of seeing the same power-ups in Metroid games at this point? I know you can look at this game like The Force Awakens - it's been so long since we had a PROPER Metroid game that maybe they just wanted to keep it familiar, AND I know it's a remake, but still - being that it's sort of a re-imagining at the same time, I was hoping for some new weapons and power-ups. It's cool to finally get things like the
grapple beam
, but I dunno.
...But we got new power-ups. The Aeion abilities are all new. This is probably the most mechanically fresh a 2D Metroid has been since Super blew people's minds.

Synless

I feel really dumb, but I can't find out how to get to this one Metroid in Area 2... one side has fans and slippery shit on the walls and the other side doesn't show any entrance when I scan... it's pissing me off.

TheMoon

I feel really dumb, but I can't find out how to get to this one Metroid in Area 2... one side has fans and slippery shit on the walls and the other side doesn't show any entrance when I scan... it's pissing me off.

Screenshots, maps, pics! :)

I think I am in Area 6?

Just got the Super Missiles and Space Jump after escaping that rush part which was awesome

I am really liking this game a lot. I have been hooked.

XandBosch

...But we got new power-ups. The Aeion abilities are all new. This is probably the most mechanically fresh a 2D Metroid has been since Super blew people's minds.

Totally slipped my mind, that IS a good point. And I suppose the melee thing is big too.

Maybe I meant less old stuff, more new stuff, but maybe at this point these things are like the hookshot, fireball, etc. It's not Metroid without these things.

But you're right, I totally overlooked that.

I'm loving the game by the way, it's a small gripe.

Totally slipped my mind, that IS a good point. And I suppose the melee thing is big too.

Maybe I meant less old stuff, more new stuff, but maybe at this point these things are like the hookshot, fireball, etc. It's not Metroid without these things.

But you're right, I totally overlooked that.

I'm loving the game by the way, it's a small gripe.

Just an FYI, I am with you on that. I always thought they could do the Super Metroid system of mixing and matching beams a lot better with more beam types.

Just mobility and other kinds of powerups would be nice as well, as I am getting a little tired of all the same stuff. Spiderball is a new one for me considering I never played 2 originally, but it still didn't really add all that much of interest.

Toxi

Banned
Just an FYI, I am with you on that. I always thought they could do the Super Metroid system of mixing and matching beams a lot better with more beam types.
That's a fantastic idea. Adds a bit of a customizability aspect. You could even add a bunch of hidden completely optional beams that are there just for different play styles.

Like imagine an upgrade that significantly lengthens the length of your charge beam time, but monstrously increases the power.

Just mobility and other kinds of powerups would be nice as well, as I am getting a little tired of all the same stuff. Spiderball is a new one for me considering I never played 2 originally, but it still didn't really add all that much of interest.
Spider ball has a really cool new mobility tool when combined with another power-up that may surprise you.

I'm taking my sweet time with the game, but I am stunted how little upgrades I've found that aren't missiles. I have only 4-5 energy bars.

jwhit28

I think I know what you are talking about.
Fire a missile up between the 2 slippery walls and you can jump high enough to grab the right ledge with the high jump boots.
I got stuck for a minute there too and did some unnecessary back tracking.

That's a fantastic idea. Adds a bit of a customizability aspect. You could even add a bunch of hidden completely optional beams that are there just for different play styles.

Like imagine an upgrade that significantly lengthens the length of your charge beam time, but monstrously increases the power.

Yep, I agree with this. Having like a limit of 3 Beam selections and having a lot of options to mix it up would be really cool. It'd also make you have to think about Beam Selection for certain parts, like if you know Metroids were coming up, clearly you'd want Ice somewhere in the mix.

And I agree with a stronger Charge Beam. It feels super weak in this game to me.

Spider ball has a really cool new mobility tool when combined with another power-up that may surprise you.

Yeah, I figured that out. Lol. It's a neat added thing to the Spiderball that I know wasn't in the original.

Finally received the Amiibos.

Welcome to the family. :)

img_20170919_1600445asey.jpg

here we go, finished 100%

will do the fusion mode now

really love the new gravity suit design! Can't wait to see the new ones in metroid prime 4

emb

grapple beam
, but I dunno.
I agree.

Toward the end of the game, you start to be able to narrow down the last few item possibilities, 'ok, those extra spots on the item screen are probably plasma, power bomb, space jump, etc etc etc'. There's still (great) satisfaction in getting things, but certainly a lot less wonder.

Aeon abilities are ok, but I only really liked the
time slow
one. Wish they had done a bit more with that one. Still haven't gotten 100% yet though, so maybe there are some devious puzzles I still haven't reached.

But like you touched on, it is a remake. I certainly understand why they would lean toward the standard set of Metroid items for a remake - yet, at the same time, if they're adding items that weren't in Metroid II, new stuff would be appreciated.

I'd love to see a mostly new array of pickups in the next original 2D Metroid, but it might be a bit much to hope for.

Not related to SR, but I have a question about the end of Super Metroid.

I may have forgotten, but Samus Returns makes me very curious about why The Baby™ is so friggin' huge at the end of Super? That thing is freaking huge. It has like the mass of a Gamma Metroid but is still just a normal one? Did they even explain it?

I absolutely love the way this game feels. For some reason I actually find it easier to go into Morph Ball in mid-air in this game than in any of the 2D ones, and I adore the 360-degree free aim. I've never been especially good at any of the other 2D Metroids, but in this one I feel like I'm just murdering fools.

Not related to SR, but I have a question about the end of Super Metroid.

I may have forgotten, but Samus Returns makes me very curious about why The Baby™ is so friggin' huge at the end of Super? That thing is freaking huge. It has like the mass of a Gamma Metroid but is still just a normal one? Did they even explain it?

The Space Pirates exposed it to radiation to make it grow

Thank you. I have no idea where that information comes from, but that's very interesting.

Sorry, now that I think about it, I think that the pirates exposed it to radiation to make it multiply. However, they were not successful and you can see the results of their efforts, the so called "Mochtroids", in Maridia.
It is implied that the infant Metroid grew without evolving into another form because it is not on its home planet. Only SR388 has the perfect conditions to facilitate Metroid evolution,

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Damn you Nintendo!
Waiting for me to purchase a Switch and then release the ONE game that'd have me salivating at the thought of owning a 3DS...

Alrus

Figured out how to cross those long winding red crystal tunnels. Very satisfying :p

Only 3 metroids left. Honestly I feel like they could have found a way to make the metroid fights a bit more diverse, they're fun the first time but the thought of fighting more Omegas isn't particularly exciting.

Top Bottom