• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

DarkFlow

Banned
Anybody have the ISO I can download? My netbook OS corrupted and I need the recovery files.

They won't work, they killed all the key codes.

Thanks, I see.

So what happens with the Win 7 files after installing Win 10 on the new SSD, are they removed automatically by selecting some option on the setup, or will I have to remove them manually later?
Type "Windows Cleanup" in cortana then System Files when that pops up. You can clean out all the crap you don't need.

Jzero

I don't like the automatic video drivers that install through windows update, they are always shit (it corrupted my mouse cursor). Good thing rolling back is beyond easy.

I don't like the automatic video drivers that install through windows update, they are always shit (it corrupted my mouse cursor). Good thing rolling back is beyond easy.
I hope in the pro version of 10 you'll at least be able to block driver updates for this very reason.

ido

I have Windows 7 currently installed on a 120GB SSD, and I'm nearly out of damn room. I opted for Windows 10 weeks ago when prompted, so I'm really looking forward to it.

My question is, do you need a certain amount of space free for the upgrade? If so, how much? And also, how much space on my SSD will Windows 10 save compared to 7? I hear it's much smaller, and I'm really hoping that's true.

Thanks, and sorry if these are stupid questions.

So was there any announcements of stock install ISO's? I dont want to re-format and install Win 7 to upgrade. Seems like such a shit way of doing it....

Mr Swine

Banned
So was there any announcements of stock install ISO's? I dont want to re-format and install Win 7 to upgrade. Seems like such a shit way of doing it....

Hey, at least you need to reformat and install win 7. I need to reformat and install win 7, then win 8, then win 8.1 and last win 10

xBladeM6x

Oh goddamnit have they still not fixed that shit in 10?

2T905Qy.jpg

Some games do it, other assorted shit might do it, but my computer is really using a tiny fraction of it's CPU and memory every time it happens so I don't know what the fuck Windows is ever looking at, and it DOES NOT remember that I tell it to never show it again. It's so annoying.

Oh please, no. Fuck. Don't tell me this is still a thing.

Lemonte

anyone know why my cursor is stretched like this?

It's only that cursor and this
9yhPTWP.gif
that are stretched. Normal arrow cursor is like it should. They were not stretched this morning but now they are. Pointer size is smallest possible in settings. What could cause this?

DrFurbs

guys i stuck the beta on my hone machine with a fresh install. i have a legit version of W7 but thats wiped now. What will happen to my beta copy on the 29th of July?

Will i have to reisntall W7 to get W10?

I'm running the preview build for 10, but I'd like to go to the stable one on release by upgrading from my Windows 7 key. Does that mean I'll have to reformat, install Windows 7, then upgrade to 10?

guys i stuck the beta on my hone machine with a fresh install. i have a legit version of W7 but thats wiped now. What will happen to my beta copy on the 29th of July?

Will i have to reisntall W7 to get W10?

I am wondering if you can put genuine keys in to activate Win 10 but somehow I don't think it will be that easy.

9yhPTWP.gif
that are stretched. Normal arrow cursor is like it should. They were not stretched this morning but now they are. Pointer size is smallest possible in settings. What could cause this?

Just happened to me. I had everything (icons, text) get really big for a second, like my display driver failed and the res dropped. I downloaded a new driver, restarted, restarted again to get rid of a persistent crash in Edge, and now... stretched cursor. Odd.

phyrlord

For those of you using Windows 10 recently, how buggy is it? I recently heard about some issues.

I just bought a 250gig SSD and a have a 2 year old install of windows 7 on a 360gig HDD just screaming to be formatted.

I wont lie, I have VERY cold feet. If I buy home edition will I regret it? And no I don't want to do the upgrade, full formatted and fresh install with a W10 DVD or bust.

dLMN8R

confirmed to be RTM? if so i hope they don't disappear it. don't have my laptop on at home.

No, it is not confirmed to be RTM by Microsoft, just people speculating.

But the build will stay up, it was legitimately released, not some accident, so it's not going anywhere.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So i am having some issues with my win 7 install and probably need to reformat (the dreaded classpnp.sys and startuprepairoffline issues).

But at this point should I just wait two weeks and go for a fresh Win 10 install or should I just install 7 and upgrade later? Or anyone has good fix suggestions for the issues? I tried the tech support thread with no luck.

Weird that the new build isn't showing up for me

Edit: I didn't realize that I needed to already be running windows 10 to get the new build. It shows up on my tablet so at least I will get to check it out.

I just got a new SSD and forgot this was in like 2 weeks. I guess I should wait see what happens. Ideally I'd like to just Upgrade my existing HDD install then like a week later do a fresh install of 10 right to the SSD. Although I don't know how driver support would look like. I gather we just use Windows 8/8.1 drivers.

Caayn

Just installed build 10240, the build number and info on the lower right corner of the desktop has disappeared.

Edit: And the first security update, KB3074663, is already available :p

9yhPTWP.gif
No idea, but mine does the same. It's rather annoying because I click wrong a lot more with the larger cursor.

The Cowboy

We still can't change the background on the sign in section in this build, that's really disappointing as i really want it to match my desktop or be back to the solid color like it was.

Its pretty crappy that we are at 10240, and its still locked to that hero wallpaper.

SZips

9yhPTWP.gif

It's the damn Nvidia driver that did it. It automatically installed via Windows Update to 353.50. I'd suggest trying to roll the driver back in your device manager. Just be warned though that the update will show up again the next time you check for updates... and if you plan on upgrading to today's build, you'll unfortunately see this shitty driver once more.

Windows RT Update 3 in September.

I wonder what it'll bring... An W8 environment but with the W10 app platform would be ideal, but they haven't said anything yet...

We still can't change the background on the sign in section in this build, that's really disappointing as i really want it to match my desktop or be back to the solid color like it was.

Its pretty crappy that we are at 10240, and its still locked to that hero wallpaper.

There isn't a white theme either yet right?

Blitzhex

Yeah, it looks crap at 3440x1440 res as well.

SZips

Two weeks to go until public release. Should be at least a couple more builds between then I would imagine.

Most (except for Microsoft) have suggested that this is the RTM build. I'm guessing MS is simply taking a "wait and see" approach before declaring this build RTM.

kaskade

Someone on reddit said there's no watermarks. So I guess if I just want to be on the normal Windows 10 schedule I can just turn off the insider updates? I never really looked into how that works.

Someone on reddit said there's no watermarks. So I guess if I just want to be on the normal Windows 10 schedule I can just turn off the insider updates? I never really looked into how that works.

If you turn off Insider Preview I think you need to have a Windows 10 genuine key at some point after July 29th or you need to have upgraded from a genuine version of Windows 8.1 or Windows 7.

Top Bottom