• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

3. And yes, people are starting to get disillusioned at the lofty promises Apple made about our glorious tablet future.

To be fair, I feel like this is partially Apple's fault for not fully taking advantage of what a tablet (versus a phone's) UI can do. The iPad in many ways still functions as a large iPhone.

On topic, I think Windows 10 looks fantastic, and is exactly the update Microsoft needed, and maybe should have released a year or two ago.

I still have the concerns I have with every Windows release - that is, you don't have to dig too far to realize it's some improvements, new APIs, and UI on the same pile of crap (registry, awful property menus, etc. that are almost straight out of Windows 98), not to mention how comparatively open-armed Microsoft seemed/seems to be with any request from the NSA for an OS that Microsoft wants me to entrust all my information in. Nevertheless, I'll be updating day one.

jelly

I think Microsoft are setting themselves up well for the future. Ahead of the curve and might take advantage for once. While Google and Apple are doing great keeping things somewhat separate but connected and dominating in mobile and tablets they might be soon left playing catch up if Windows 10 works great across all devices but long way to go yet.

DLaicH

If you ever want a job at Microsoft, say this in your interview, "I believe that numbers are merely tools for altering consumer perceptions rather than being objective representations of value."

Jinkies

Windows 10 without Windows 9.

Ten major versions of OS X without an OS XI in sight.

These names are simply designations. Same for Windows 7. It's not really that funny after a few seconds.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Windows 10 should be called Windows 16 or something. Then again, 10 does follow their logical naming pattern of no logic at all.

ME
NT 3.5
NT 4.0
XP
Vista

Windows 10 should be called Windows 16 or something. Then again, 10 does follow their logical naming pattern of no logic at all.

ME
NT 3.5
NT 4.0
XP
Vista

It gets more confusing if you throw in version numbers post-3.11:

95 = 4.0
98 = 4.1
Me = 4.9
2000 = 5.0
XP = 5.1
XP x64 = 5.2
Vista = 6.0
7 = 6.1
8 = 6.2
8.1 = 6.3

jstripes

Banned
So, when's this Windows Insider Program gonna launch?

They said it would be today. What time does MSFT usually do these things? (Apple's notorious for 10am PST.)

It gets more confusing if you throw in version numbers post-3.11:

95 = 4.0
98 = 4.1
Me = 4.9
2000 = 5.0
XP = 5.1
XP x64 = 5.2
Vista = 6.0
7 = 6.1
8 = 6.2
8.1 = 6.3
Vista broke many old apps because they checked if the OS version was different than say 5.X, so to avoid that they decided keep the OS version at 6, that way even applications that were designed for vista and are no longer updated can still work.

jstripes

Banned
Vista broke many old apps because they checked if the OS version was different than say 5.X, so to avoid that they decided keep the OS version at 6, that way even applications that were designed for vista and are no longer updated can still work.

Idiotic that developers couldn't set their software to check the minimum version.

leadbelly

Banned

ME
NT 3.5
NT 4.0
XP
Vista

Maybe it does have logic to it, you just don't know what it is?

Maybe it is based on some ancient mystical numerology.... or something

Kinyou

ME
NT 3.5
NT 4.0
XP
Vista
Millennium and 2000 are those that really threw me off.

I imagine mainstream consumer support could steadily drop though. Those Atom tablets can only improve and desktop users won't be installing 32-bit for much longer.

What would be the best way to install it on a MacBook Air? Parallels? Boot Camp?

I'm thinking Parallels might be your best bet. You could probably get it working in Boot Camp, but I've often had to use weird hacky workarounds to install a version of Windows that isn't 'supported' by Apple yet.

Sorry if this has already been asked / answered, but is there a breakdown of the differences between the Home version of the tech preview and the Enterprise version?

Guri

For those downloading it, let us know your impressions! I wish I could, but time is not on my side right now.

komplanen

I'm currently on a temporary Linux installation and the website says I can't install Windows 10 Technical Preview on my operating system. Well no shit Sherlock but it doesn't even give me the option to download an ISO and make a bootable USB drive. What a stupid website :-/

I don't really see an indication that Chromebooks are in decline. They started out very slow but they seem to be really picking up now. You can argue that they will follow a similar trajectory, but I'm not seeing the evidence yet.

There's no public numbers about how they're selling overall, but the shipment estimates are similar to Windows RT/Windows 8 tablets from your IDC/Gartner types. You could sandwich them between the two. So, they haven't even gotten off the ground yet really...but I guess the hype about them makes you start conversations as if they're successful products like the iPad. My mistake.

Bullza2o

Downloading it right now. I allocated 20GB of partition for it, hopefully that's enough.

Or should I put it on VM instead?

Redmoon

2.5GB download for me on a vm (windows update method). Seems small..

Also, anyone going with a vm, allocate at least 2GB of ram or it wont install.

Is it just me or does Apple with less people on OSX do a lot more with each release than Microsoft with Windows?

Expected a bit more with Windows 10. Going to try it out anyways.

KKRT00

Ok, so free upgrade via patch from Win 8 is out of the question now?
If yes, then i'm moving my CPU, mobo + ram upgrade to win 10 release date.

Top Bottom