• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

xenist

I love not having the charm bar or the stupid hot corners pop up uninvited.

Seems to be running so smoothly I may even give it the "67 year-old parents" crash test on the weekend. The store is still sad though.

I customized the start menu to my liking. I really can't wait till it's released. I've been using Windows 8 since the beginning and am a defender, but it looks like 10 is what 8 should have been from the start.

Edit: I'm running it in Vmware Player fyi.

I love not having the charm bar or the stupid hot corners pop up uninvited.

Seems to be running so smoothly I may even give it the "67 year-old parents" crash test on the weekend. The store is still sad though.

I hope you mean by crash test you mean letting them try it on your machine? It would be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Also, it's up and running on my machine now. Everything is working great!

Did run into an issue with installing it though. Windows incorrectly read my CPU speed and blocked me from upgrading since I was at 0.8 GHz supposedly (less than the min spec of 1 GHz). I OC my hardware and was at 4.2 GHz as reported by CPU-Z, bios, and all other programs I tried. Just Windows itself had this issue. If anyone has their CPU shown as < 1 GHz in task manager and you OC'ed your hardware, beware of this issue. Sadly I reset my bios and will have to re-oc this weekend, but regardless, it was worth it.

Very smooth, windowed modern apps are pretty nice, new snap is better and oh god command prompt has an opacity setting! Guys, be sure to go into the command prompt properties because there's a couple of other settings in the "Experimental" tab that are worth checking out. Found this blog post which goes over it in more detail: http://withinrafael.com/new-experimental-console-features-in-windows-threshold/

Does anyone know keyboard shortcuts for virtual desktops?

Does anyone know keyboard shortcuts for virtual desktops?

Windows Key + tab

Edit: Hopefully they add more features to Virtual Desktop. In OSX, I believe you can drag windows to the different virtual desktops. Unless I'm not doing it right, I haven't been able to do it in the Technical Preview.

It's pretty good, but I don't like that moving the cursor in a circle covers up whatever you were doing with a full screen Bing search and an animated Clippy suggesting questionable terms. I'd prefer a button for that.

Jzero

I don't like that moving the cursor in a circle covers up whatever you were doing with a full screen Bing search and an animated Clippy suggesting questionable terms. I'd prefer a button for that.

What are you talking about?

so theyre launching windows 10 to insiders now but it will be a year later before the consumer version launches... that's a ridiculously long lead time....

This is pretty much a very early beta product.

Jimrpg

so theyre launching windows 10 to insiders now but it will be a year later before the consumer version launches... that's a ridiculously long lead time....

orava

The os itself is probably fully usable before that. Installing the prev to vm right now.

Rosur

Installed on a VM not really noticed many issues with it this I'll probably play around and install some programs it. I think as long as the pricing isn't mucked up this will get the popularity ms want.

Mr_Zombie

No, it isn't.

With Windows 8 the first preview version - Developer Preview - was available in September 2011. Consumer Preview was released in march 2012 with Release Preview available two months later. The final system was released in October.

Keep in mind that this is still a pre-beta software. Many features aren't implemented yet, the system can be unstable etc. There were a lot of differences between each Preview of Windows 8.

orava

Still preferring the start screen for now. The stuff you add in the start menu is different from start screen. No grouping in start menu in uh.. "modern side" which would suck. Also found a bug where you can't resize the menu if taskbar is somewhere else than bottom.

Remember to send feedback with the app!

Anyone using Windows 10 is there any way to enable snap mode?

In 8.1 I snapped an IRC client to the side of the screen and could then maximise windows in the desktop and they won't overlap

orava

In 8.1 I snapped an IRC client to the side of the screen and could then maximise windows in the desktop and they won't overlap

I didn't notice any differences in the window snapping functions compared to 8.1? Except you can now snap in corners too.

So, how stable is this build so far? I don't have much space to create a new partition, so if I did install it, it would be on my main computer. I know MS suggests that you install it on a secondary computer, but if it's stable enough I wouldn't mind just biting the bullet and using it on my main PC. I also have an Asus T100; would I be able to test it out there instead?

So, how stable is this build so far? I don't have much space to create a new partition, so if I did install it, it would be on my main computer. I know MS suggests that you install it on a secondary computer, but if it's stable enough I wouldn't mind just biting the bullet and using it on my main PC. I also have an Asus T100; would I be able to test it out there instead?

dependings what you plan to do honestly. for me it's fine.''

It's only accessible by touch now, IIRC.

ugh. that sucks. i used it all the time too

All I want from Windows 10 is tabs for Windows Explorer and getting rid of the ridiculous faux-maxLength for the path names.

that is a file system limitation of ntfs. that would have to change not Windows

But the long path support in the Windows API is there, but it's supported by most file related API's. Which leads to cases where, like for instance today, I install shit by npm with veeery long pathnames that I can install, use and fuck around with as long as I want to, but if I want to delete a file by using Windows Explorer, I run into "oops too long path" name problem which I then have to solve with whatever workaround I can find (using robocopy, mapping to folder to a network etc.) which is ridiculous. It should be all or nothing.

Snap mode seems to be working for me still. Try using Win + arrows to snap if the mouse isin't working for it for some reason.

The Cowboy

You can still access it, just hit win + c. There's just no mouse gesture for it anymore as far as I can tell.

I can't even make it work with win + c, even if you enable the start screen instead of start menu it won't work - i think the charms bar is not working correctly at all in the current build.

As per the settings though, it does appear that it can be enabled in all modes (touch and desktop).

Setsuna

You can still access it, just hit win + c. There's just no mouse gesture for it anymore as far as I can tell.

That wont solve the issue for when i want to switch from television back to computer

I would have to run into a room press ctrl c run into the other room and send displaying back to the pc screen

I can't even make it work with win + c, even if you enable the start screen instead of start menu it won't work - i think the charms bar is not working correctly at all in the current build.

As per the settings though, it does appear that it can be enabled in all modes (touch and desktop).

EDIT: Nevermind then

Weird, the charm bar is working fine for me. I wonder what's causing it to break for some and work for others

shit_font_renderingveuvg.png

How anyone can think this font rendering looks good or acceptable is beyond me.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i feel sorry for whoever has to look through that insider forum. Bunch of lousy topics as expected.

The Cowboy

Weird, the charm bar is working fine for me. I wonder what's causing it to break for some and work for others
Hmm, i did a fresh install to and i can't get it to work at all, i haven't restarted the Windows 10 build since last night so I'll have another try.

Edit.
Yep Win + C is now bringing up the charms bar for me, i mush have just needed an extra restart or something.

pestul

I hope the 'free upgrade' story for 8/8.1 users wasn't just wishful thinking.. perhaps to pressure MS into doing it anyway despite not originally planning to.

My one big complaint with the preview is that my Synaptic touchpad's two finger panning doesn't actually do anything inside of windows. Therefore, I need to either click / drag scroll bars or rely on my touch screen to scroll and pan in windows. I don't know if it's a driver or OS issue, though, so I won't blame Microsoft so quickly, but it is the one thing that's making me not want to stay on Windows 10 right now.

Other than that, I'm loving the OS so far. It doesn't feel too different from Windows 8.1 though, which is why I am excited to try the final Windows 10. I'm sure there'll be plenty of little changes that'll appease me (like how Windows 8 added a new file copy window and task manager).

Here are some lesser problems and other things I wish for:

- I don't like how Windows 8 apps I own but don't have installed are showing up in my Start Menu in Windows 10 as something like, "Where's My Water? (Install)". I would rather they didn't show up at all.

- I wish that I could organize all of my Windows 8 apps at the beginning or end of the Start Menu app / program list, just like in Windows 8.

- What I hated about the Win 8 start menu was not the Live Tiles, but instead the organization of all the programs. I would be happy if I could have full screen live tiles just like Windows 8, but with the more traditional start menu on the left side. Or, at the very least I'd love if I could horizontally AND vertically resize the Live Tiles view (not just vertically resize like it is now).

My one big complaint with the preview is that my Synaptic touchpad's two finger panning doesn't actually do anything inside of windows. Therefore, I need to either click / drag scroll bars or rely on my touch screen to scroll and pan in windows. I don't know if it's a driver or OS issue, though, so I won't blame Microsoft so quickly, but it is the one thing that's making me not want to stay on Windows 10 right now.

Other than that, I'm loving the OS so far. It doesn't feel too different from Windows 8.1 though, which is why I am excited to try the final Windows 10. I'm sure there'll be plenty of little changes that'll appease me (like how Windows 8 added a new file copy window and task manager).

Here are some lesser problems and other things I wish for:

- I don't like how Windows 8 apps I own but don't have installed are showing up in my Start Menu in Windows 10 as something like, "Where's My Water? (Install)". I would rather they didn't show up at all.

- I wish that I could organize all of my Windows 8 apps at the beginning or end of the Start Menu app / program list, just like in Windows 8.

- What I hated about the Win 8 start menu was not the Live Tiles, but instead the organization of all the programs. I would be happy if I could have full screen live tiles just like Windows 8, but with the more traditional start menu on the left side. Or, at the very least I'd love if I could horizontally AND vertically resize the Live Tiles view (not just vertically resize like it is now).
That sounds like what they showed on continuum mode. Once they introduce it, we can vote for options like I want the continuum menu, but for apps to stay windowed, and stuff like that.

Top Bottom