• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Ape

Banned
They put out a picture of their concept UI for 10

CDy7f1oWEAAuJnT.jpg

I like it. I probably won't go with that color scheme though.

source

Wonder if it will get closer to that as time goes on

Pretty sure that UI pic was just one the concept UIs they posted in that design iteration post earlier today, not an indication of final Win 10 interface.

Social

Installed 10074 clean and got a nice fatal error after the first startup when it said Let's Start.
I clicked it away and all seems ok. Still not something you want to see after a clean install :(.

zou

I really hope we're not stuck with these shitty, thin ios-like icons. and how about highlighting the close button?

Oh and does the new build fix the unusable window grouping? And put windows update back where it belongs? After using control panel with separate icons (not that grouped mess added with xp) for close to 20 years, there's no way I'm gonna start using it now with windows 10.

FrsDvl

So 10074 is a very nice build, the only issue that I encounter is that sometimes the start menu and/or Cortana won't respond at all, until I reboot the computer. I'm assuming this is a known issue? I looked through the feedback app, but couldn't find much on the subject.

mcrommert

Banned
I really hope we're not stuck with these shitty, thin ios-like icons. and how about highlighting the close button?

Oh and does the new build fix the unusable window grouping? And put windows update back where it belongs? After using control panel with separate icons (not that grouped mess added with xp) for close to 20 years, there's no way I'm gonna start using it now with windows 10.

Yeah its gone

You adapt or you perish

Whogie

I've bitched about the Documents button in Places (in the Start Menu) a lot in the past, but I discovered that you can change its path. Right click it, open file location, right click the highlighted shortcut, properties, and change the target path. I changed it to my OneDrive folder.

10074 is nice. I'm only really hitting minor UI issues. Looking forward to tomorrow's keynote. Hopefully we'll get some Win 10 details then (like release Window or how the free upgrades work.)

Yea the close button should have a red background to it, maybe later it will.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Start Screen is a little goofy in the latest build. The top of pinned apps is centered lower from the top of the screen.

The Start Screen is a little goofy in the latest build. The top of pinned apps is centered lower from the top of the screen.

The Start screen rarely even popped up at all for me on 10061, so I was going to say it's a big improvement for me on 10074.

Build as a whole is pretty nice, overall performance/stability is coming together nicely (Spartan...er Edge feels really quick on this build).

I don't know if anyone is experiencing something similar, but I'm trying to clean install the latest build in a spare laptop I have and everything goes smoothly until it reaches the user creation prompt. I'm trying to use a local account in that machine as I went that way the last time I installed the preview, but now it just gives me a message that something went wrong and it won't let me finish the installation.

I have already checked the SHA1 key and redownloaded and reinstalled the OS, but it still happens.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Anyone have the latest build on a Surface? Is the tablet experience improved enough to install it again?

So 10074 is a very nice build, the only issue that I encounter is that sometimes the start menu and/or Cortana won't respond at all, until I reboot the computer. I'm assuming this is a known issue? I looked through the feedback app, but couldn't find much on the subject.

I'm having this issue as well. I'm running in Virtualbox, what kind of environment are you using? Not sure if that would have any bearing.

Mr_Zombie

Can I get a source on that?

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-pirated-upgrades-will-still-be-considered-pirated/

With Windows 10, although nongenuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Nongenuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered nongenuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered nongenuine or mislicensed after the upgrade.

Build 10074:
  • Spartan/Edge doesn't connect to anything.
  • Cortana can't connect to anything.
  • Windows Store (beta) can't connect to anything.
  • Internet Explorer, Chrome, Windows Update, etc., all totally fine. :|

Anyone have the latest build on a Surface? Is the tablet experience improved enough to install it again?

It has improved, t I'm not sure if it's good enough yet.

There are now touch friendly options for volume, network and brightness right from the taskbar (the battery button shows a display button that increases and cycles in 25% increments and it's very nice).

In touch mode everything gets better spaced on the taskbar so it's better to use the quick access buttons on it. And now you can choose to hide apps from the taskbar in touch mode and get only the navigation and quick access buttons.

Spartan with touch is already better than metro IE (or even the desktop one), imo, despite still having some bugs.

The start screen still is a bit wonk with touch. Very often when I'm scrolling it I end up moving a group.

Apps still doesn't go full screen by default (though in new universal apps toggling them works much better)

My major grip relies on non universal apps, they still are terrible to use with touch by having to take too many steps to bring the app commands bar, and many of them won't even open.

There are still some issues with connected stand by and high battery usage, but each build has improved upon that. The current one has the surface running cold for almost 2 hours now, but if the battery app report is correct, I'm going to have almost half of the battery life that I would get on windows 8.1

Edit: Oh,and touch mode snap now behaves the same as win8.1, but now with desktop apps added to the mix. Now it's much much better.

Ms also published the design guidelines for Windows universal apps: https://dev.windows.com/en-us/design

There's an odd omission of xbox from this (I'm starting to think Win10 on xbox will be delivered at a well later date), but other than that the design seems very nice from a glance.

I like that they take into consideration each platform, as in app controls on bottom for phone, the back button appearing on taskbar when in tablet mode, and on the app itself when in desktop, and how the UI has a default base for being adaptable to each device, but you can customize as well.

It looks way more consistent and well thought than what we had on windows 8.1, which is very nice as well.

Edit: and apps can react to tablet mode, changing the interface entirely as well. I suspect that as the apps themselves mature we should see more apps changing the layout completely in touch mode.

The guidelines are very promising and most importantly they are very simple to understand...between devices the changes don't seem that involved other than hiding UI elements and offering responsive layouts.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Installed Windows 10 10074 from the ISO on my surface. Fresh install from build 9926. Got to the area where you setup a local account and it tell me "something went wrong" each time I try to create a user. Anyone else seen this issue? Can't get past this section. Tried multiple things. No password, different passwords, different usernames. Tried setting up and corporate and individual accounts. Same thing each time.

EDIT:
After more research it seems to be related to the battery %. Let it charge up and it worked fine.

zou

Just installed it on a laptop and gotta say it's easily the ugliest windows ever. Metro is pretty much gone, replaced with some weird ios/android design mix that feels completely out of place. The charm/design bar could have been lifted straight from WP8.

The icons are still too tiny, no way to tell how many windows are open, all apps is a joke and the redesigned volume/power settings are a complete break with every single windows release that came before. Worse, settings are now all over the place, some in the classic control panel, some in the settings app and then some odd in-bar ones (volume etc).

Oh and the icons are a joke on its own. Take the settings app. Update/recovery is a thin reload icon. If you navigate to the update options, you get a refresh and back arrow right next to each other. And clicking reload takes you to the settings overview, because why not.

Windows 8 worked great on tablets, desktop was ok after the 8.1 update. Windows 10 is a step back for desktop pcs and a usability nightmare on tablets (might give Windows 7 a run for its money). Guess I'll stick with Windows 7 on my laptop and Windows 8.1 on my tablets.

Wreav

Banned
Just installed it on a laptop and gotta say it's easily the ugliest windows ever. Metro is pretty much gone, replaced with some weird ios/android design mix that feels completely out of place. The charm/design bar could have been lifted straight from WP8.

The icons are still too tiny, no way to tell how many windows are open, all apps is a joke and the redesigned volume/power settings are a complete break with every single windows release that came before. Worse, settings are now all over the place, some in the classic control panel, some in the settings app and then some odd in-bar ones (volume etc).

Oh and the icons are a joke on its own. Take the settings app. Update/recovery is a thin reload icon. If you navigate to the update options, you get a refresh and back arrow right next to each other. And clicking reload takes you to the settings overview, because why not.

Windows 8 worked great on tablets, desktop was ok after the 8.1 update. Windows is a step back for desktop pcs and a mess on tablets on the level of Windows 7. Guess I'll stick with Windows 7 on my laptop and Windows 8.1 on my tablets.

It's a beta.

Finally got to try the new build 10074. Anyone notice games are broken now? The start menu appears for some reason when i run a game so it automatically minimizes and when i go back to the game it still does it so there is a loop. Games were unreal tournament 99, quake 3. Ultimate DOOM never worked but the new issues are there with start menu appearing. gta 3 now does not work at all when it was fine before. The longest journey as well. Hopefully that is an indicator that they are working on the compatibility because i thought it needed improvement before these new issues.

clav

Finally got to try the new build 10074. Anyone notice games are broken now? The start menu appears for some reason when i run a game so it automatically minimizes and when i go back to the game it still does it so there is a loop. Games were unreal tournament 99, quake 3. Ultimate DOOM never worked but the new issues are there with start menu appearing. gta 3 now does not work at all when it was fine before. The longest journey as well. Hopefully that is an indicator that they are working on the compatibility because i thought it needed improvement before these new issues.

What video card do you have?

dLMN8R

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...10-insider-preview-build-10074-now-available/

There is an issue in this build preventing some games from playing in full screen mode. We’re working to get a fix out via WU as soon as possible.

Top Bottom